Archers are great

sandmanccl

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot see how Archers can be hurting experience. That makes absolutely no sense.

Archers can defeat much less enemies than any other class. As such, they're an overall detriment to Experience.

Archers are awesome except in FEDS where they are sorta narfed.

I must disagree. In FEDS, they've improved. Gordon and Kashim are very useful in HM5, as they can attack without being countered. For a while, using indirect attacks is the safest way to fight.

Though by Chapter 7 or so, Bows become useless again. ^_^

Archers can defeat much less enemies than any other class. As such, they're an overall detriment to Experience.

No... You have a limited number of enemies. Unless you're unable to defeat all of them before ending the chapter, exp rank is only helped or hurt by gaining more or less than the average. Hector or Marcus may get in far more kills than Legault, but Legault is the one helping the rank. The other two hurt it, if anything.

Edited by Reikken

The RNG would like to say hi.

You have to get seriously screwed over for the RNG to be a major factor when you've got solid strategy behind your movements. If worst case scenario and you get a guy that totally sucks, just pick up the next guy you can and use them. There's never been an FE character they introduce that can't be used to good benefit if not on the map they join, then the one directly after.

@ SwordSalmon: How are you hurting EXP rank if you're gaining more EXP per map?

Scenario: Attack a guy with your Myrmidon. He doubles it. Badguy dies.

Alternative: You hit your guy with your archer first. Myrmidon kills it his first hit rather than his second. Badguy dies.

You get more experience the other way because two guys are getting the experience rather than just a single guy. Besides, most archers join at ridiculously low levels, so they have a lot of room to grow and will gain you lots of experience overall.

No... You have a limited number of enemies. Unless you're unable to defeat all of them before ending the chapter, exp rank is only helped or hurt by gaining more or less than the average. Hector or Marcus may get in far more kills than Legault, but Legault is the one helping the rank. The other two hurt it, if anything.

Pretty much what he said. If an archer is a lower level, you're definitely getting more. If they don't kill at first, you're getting more. The only way they can hurt is if they're overlevelled, which can happen with any class. Your argument makes no sense.

Generally speaking, a unit that can actually tank more than two guys in any given turn without serious risk is probably overleveled and is going to net you less experience over all.

You were better off with the tactics argument because that is at least feasible.

Actually their improvement is because of how avoid works now. Since enemies can hardly ever miss now, indirect attacks, high DEF and high STR and the Devil Axe (17 MT 100 hit + 8 WT) are better for this game... Specially in hard 5 where 2 hits on a unit means death and enemy hit rate is like 95%-100% with terrain bonus and that's just on the first chapter. Javelin abuse in chapter is mandatory because I've yet to see any1 beating it without javelin.

Getting counter-attacked in H5 seriously means death next turn (unless you're rid of all enemies). Getting a unit in range of 2 enemies is death (unless you got high defense like knights). Basically, you kill all units within range or you're freaking dead.

Edited by ThunderMan

Actually their improvement is because of how avoid works now. Since enemies can hardly ever miss now, indirect attacks, high DEF and high STR and the Devil Axe (17 MT 100 hit + 8 WT) are better for this game... Specially in hard 5 where 2 hits on a unit means death and enemy hit rate is like 95%-100% with terrain bonus and that's just on the first chapter. Javelin abuse in chapter is mandatory because I've yet to see any1 beating it without javelin.

Getting counter-attacked in H5 seriously means death next turn (unless you're rid of all enemies). Getting a unit in range of 2 enemies is death (unless you got high defense like knights). Basically, you kill all units within range or you're freaking dead.

sounds epic!

XD

i'll give hard mode 5 a try, lets see how THAT turns out!

:P

Archers are an amazing class. They usually have great speed and therefore can double enemies alot, they're brutal as a sniper with the killer bow, and ranged fighting FTW. If you're too lazy or not smart enough to protect other units then thats your fault, not the archers. Its a strategy game, thats why they have units like Clerics and Archers who cannot counter attack up close, to make people USE THEIR HEADS AND GOOD TACTICS.

I've grown rather fond of archers lately. It's kind of amusing, since I hated them initially. Although I'd be kidding myself if I said I thought they were good in every game in the series.

Archers are an amazing class. They usually have great speed and therefore can double enemies alot, they're brutal as a sniper with the killer bow, and ranged fighting FTW. If you're too lazy or not smart enough to protect other units then thats your fault, not the archers. Its a strategy game, thats why they have units like Clerics and Archers who cannot counter attack up close, to make people USE THEIR HEADS AND GOOD TACTICS.

Being forced to use strategy is a pretty big disadvantage. Archers can't kill more than one enemy a turn, usually. Every other fighting class (Except for Bow Knights) can kill multiple enemies a turn.

@Swordsalmon: Who says it's forced? For me, it's just automatic to use those guys in a way that works. I get to think even less when using them efficiently :D