Archers are great

sandmanccl

Only Archers, you mean. Every other unit, besides Nomads (Who can use other weapons upon pomotion), can attack both far away and close up.

But the only ones any good at that are Magic users, and even they won't usually on account of crap durability. Until Radiant Dawn, sword users only have crap magic swords for range, and ranged lances and axes, though useful, are very inaccurate and generally weaker. Archers do the ranged job much better.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the only ones any good at that are Magic users, and even they won't usually on account of crap durability. Until Radiant Dawn, sword users only have crap magic swords for range, and ranged lances and axes, though useful, are very inaccurate and generally weaker. Archers do the ranged job much better.

Bows are usually considerably weaker than every other type of ranged weapon, too. They won't be killing a lot until they are promoted.

An Iron Bow is just as strong as a Javelin and 1 short of Hand Axes, yet 20 and 25 more accurate, respectively. The latter two also weigh a lot, so chances are the character using them won't have as good AS/Avoid.

An Iron Bow is just as strong as a Javelin and 1 short of Hand Axes, yet 20 and 25 more accurate, respectively. The latter two also weigh a lot, so chances are the character using them won't have as good AS/Avoid.

Indeed. Javelins and Hand axes more than make up for that by being capable of counter-attacking direct attacks.

Archers are pretty good at ranged attacks, there's no questioning that.

Wow.

Just, wow. I mean, wow.

Being forced to play the game as originally conceived by the developers is a big disadvantage.

Just.... wow, man. Wow.

well the thing they were trying to brng up is that, if a total noob just walks in how hard of a time is he going to have with a unit on average, now everybody has a strategy, mine almost never has paladins in it, why? I don't like them, but that doesn't mean that I don't think they are a bad unit, now archers on the other hand actually take some skill to use, also they are trying to compare units to other units in battles (battle arena, stuff like that) and yea archers suck in those scenarios

well the thing they were trying to brng up is that, if a total noob just walks in how hard of a time is he going to have with a unit on average, now everybody has a strategy, mine almost never has paladins in it, why? I don't like them, but that doesn't mean that I don't think they are a bad unit, now archers on the other hand actually take some skill to use, also they are trying to compare units to other units in battles (battle arena, stuff like that) and yea archers suck in those scenarios

When I was a FE noob I got my ass saved by Wil and Rebecca on multiple occasions... And Archers are just as good as anyone else in an arena. No real problems there. Knights generally aren't good in arenas.

We aren't total noobs anyway, so why would we argue as if we are?

it's just how they do it, the only reson they even came here and debated was because they wanted to see others opinions as well, I know they have several other accounts on other forums but they came here thinking they could talk to others that like the game, but what I saw was a total rejection of them.

it's just how they do it, the only reson they even came here and debated was because they wanted to see others opinions as well, I know they have several other accounts on other forums but they came here thinking they could talk to others that like the game, but what I saw was a total rejection of them.

That's totally off-topic... And all those problems have been more or less resolved anyway.

The FE series isn't known to be noob friendly. My guess is because more people approach it more as an RPG rather than a strategy game that happens to rely on RPG type stats to determine individual unit's battle prowess.

Rather than council people on which units are best, I think it's more important to teach people the basics of strategy. Truth is there hasn't been a unit introduced in the entire series yet that is 100% worthless (although some have been pretty damn close). Making optimal use of them is key. Especially if you go through the game hardcore (no reloading old saves just to get results that are better than the ones you got the first time).

The FE series isn't known to be noob friendly. My guess is because more people approach it more as an RPG rather than a strategy game that happens to rely on RPG type stats to determine individual unit's battle prowess.

Rather than council people on which units are best, I think it's more important to teach people the basics of strategy. Truth is there hasn't been a unit introduced in the entire series yet that is 100% worthless (although some have been pretty damn close). Making optimal use of them is key. Especially if you go through the game hardcore (no reloading old saves just to get results that are better than the ones you got the first time).

obviously you have never heard of wendy, but strategy varies from person to person, and the RNG makes sure that no one strategy will dominate

obviously you have never heard of wendy, but strategy varies from person to person, and the RNG makes sure that no one strategy will dominate

He did say that some characters come pretty damn close. Someone out there thinks Wendy is a good character.

Being forced to use strategy is a pretty big disadvantage. Archers can't kill more than one enemy a turn, usually. Every other fighting class (Except for Bow Knights) can kill multiple enemies a turn.

Coulda sworn fire emblem was a tactical strategy rpg..................

I have no idea who Wendy is.

I've only played the Fire Emblems that have been shipped State-side. If Nintendo didn't think the others were worth bringing over here at the time they were obsessive compulsive about their Seal Of Qualityâ„¢, then I'm not worried about them. *shrugs* I'll believe there were a lot more trash units in the earlier part of the series, but it was still forging it's identity at the time.

She is a crappy knight. Her CON's not appropriate for a knight and neither is her DEF. Same goes for her STR. The good thing is that her speed isn't too bad, she's capable of doubling when promoted (perhaps before that)

Edited by ThunderMan

She is a crappy knight. Her CON's not appropriate for a knight and neither is her DEF. Same goes for her STR. The good thing is that her speed isn't too bad, she's capable of doubling when promoted (perhaps before that)

O yeah, sorry I was thinking about a different knight :blink:

Her defense is pathetic considering that she is Knight...

Looks like there's only a handful of knights in that game, at a quick glance at the FE6 page. Her base stats look just fine for a level 1 unit. 30 defense growth isn't very good, but Bors isn't a whole lot better at 35% and his strength/skill are both 10% below hers. Barth looks like he's got more knight-like stat gains (although he's still just at 40% defense gain). Douglas (I don't even know if he's a regular unit or not) looks like he's got pretty terrible growths all around.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see what the problem is, other than joining underleveled. Just looking at stuff, she joins in chapter 8. I dunno what level the enemies are at there, but my guess is someone with 4 strength using lances and 8 defense can probably get by with some babying.

Theory on my part because I haven't played it but she doesn't look horrible on paper.