Need advice about losing weight through the treadmill.

Zerxen

Do you really need to be at a surplus to grow, though? I'm talking about normal growth, not excercise-induced growth. If it's a no, then I see no reason you should be eating more than you want to, let alone "a few extra hundred" (which, by the sound of it, sounds over maintainance). I'd kill for a 2500 TDEE, lol.

I did research and supposedly teenagers and young adults need extra calories for adequate growth, especially since metablolisms are swift at teen years. Don't know how credible this is but the USDA seems to agree with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though my goals have been accomplished, I continue to workout just for the sake pf maintaining my strength. I started doing HIIT runs on my treadmill. What I do is start a 3 mph walk for 3 minutes. After that I run for at 8.5 mph for 30 seconds. I walk at 3.5 mph for a minute and go back and forth for 20 or so minutes, depending on my mood. The thing is, I do not feel exhausted AT ALL during the HIIT. Is there something I am doing wrong? I plan on doing an equal ratio of sprinting and walking to give myself a challenge. Either that, or I start with a 5 min run rather than walk.

Edited by Zerxen

Even though my goals have been accomplished, I continue to workout just for the sake pf maintaining my strength. I started doing HIIT runs on my treadmill. What I do is start a 3 mph walk for 3 minutes. After that I run for at 8.5 mph for 30 seconds. I walk at 3.5 mph for a minute and go back and forth for 20 or so minutes, depending on my mood. The thing is, I do not feel exhausted AT ALL during the HIIT. Is there something I am doing wrong? I plan on doing an equal ratio of sprinting and walking to give myself a challenge. Either that, or I start with a 5 min run rather than walk.

I wouldn't say not being exhausted is a sign you're doing anything wrong. Different people have different levels of stamina, and working out regularly will make you more resistant to getting fatigued easily.

I wouldn't say not being exhausted is a sign you're doing anything wrong. Different people have different levels of stamina, and working out regularly will make you more resistant to getting fatigued easily.

What are the advantages of a HIIT workout? I have read it boosts your metabolism so that your body continually burns calories throughout the day. Honestly, I feel like I put in more effort to just continously run rather than HIIT. Speaking of stamina, could months of continous running at 6mph be the cause of me being resistant? In the past I spent 5 min walking for warmup, 20 minutes of running, and 5 minutes of cooling down. I have been getting bored of this, causing me to look into HIIT.

Edited by Zerxen

What are the advantages of a HIIT workout? I have read it boosts your metabolism so that your body continually burns calories throughout the day. Honestly, I feel like I put in more effort to just continously run rather than HIIT. Speaking of stamina, could months of continous running at 6mph be the cause of me being resistant? In the past I spent 5 min walking for warmup, 20 minutes of running, and 5 minutes of cooling down. I have been getting bored of this, causing me to look into HIIT.

Unfortunately, I'm not enough of an exercise expert to say the advantage of HIIT over other exercise regimens. It's really about finding something that works for you. But yes, months of regular exercise would definitely build your stamina.

What are the advantages of a HIIT workout? I have read it boosts your metabolism so that your body continually burns calories throughout the day.

It's the cardio-equivalent of strength training. More in less time, aka, more intensity. When you do HIIT, you should actually be sprinting your ass off, not limiting yourself to what your machine can handle (which I doubt it's 8.5 mph). There's a reason why you only sprint a few seconds, as opposed to full minutes consecutively. Try it outside, if you're machine can't handle that much speed.

Edited by Soul~!

Okay here is one thing that always bugged me: Does the amount of calories burned matter through excercise? I mean, a lot of people measure or calculate the calories they have burned through physical activity. How is this important? Does it subtract the amount of calories you have consumed?

Okay here is one thing that always bugged me: Does the amount of calories burned matter through excercise? I mean, a lot of people measure or calculate the calories they have burned through physical activity. How is this important? Does it subtract the amount of calories you have consumed?

Most of the calorie calculators will take into account your activity level when they give you your calorie total for the day. So, you don't subtract any calories according to exercise, since it's already included in the total.

When looking at one's weight on a digital bathroom scale, are you supposed to weigh yourself multiple times for accuracy? I normally weigh myself shortly after waking up and after taking a piss but before eating or working out. At one point, the scale said I was 143 lbs. Seconds later, I decided to take another look at the scale (make that four), and each time, it said I was 140 lbs rather than 143.

When looking at one's weight on a digital bathroom scale, are you supposed to weigh yourself multiple times for accuracy? I normally weigh myself shortly after waking up and after taking a piss but before eating or working out. At one point, the scale said I was 143 lbs. Seconds later, I decided to take another look at the scale (make that four), and each time, it said I was 140 lbs rather than 143.

You shouldn't have to. If you get that much variation, make sure you are centered and not leaning against anything. If you still get a lot of variation, the scale may need calibrated.

How inaccurate can digital scales be? I weigh myself often to ensure I am maintaining my weight. Sometimes when I have weighing session, my first reading will say 144 lbs. When I try to re-weigh myself to ensure accuracy, every single additional reading says 140. Granted I have to pull down the scale from the counter- maybe this affects accuracy?

Could some digital scales be imaccurate upon their first reading? The first reading for my scale is always drastically different from consecutive readings, usually by 3 or 4 lbs- this is within the time frame of minutes. I know the scale is working because it weighed a 5 lb bag of flour as 4.8 lbs.

EDIT: Normally when I take my weight, I turn on the scale while simultaneously removing it from the platform and placing it on the ground. I did some experiments with the scale and I realized that the motion of scale is causing the inaccuracies. Today, I laid the scale on the ground before turning it on. When I took my weight, it read 140 lbs. When I took the weight of a 5 lb bag of flour, it read 4.8 lbs, so I know it is close to accurate. When I turned on the scale and moved it around mid air with my hands, it gave my weight a reading of 143 lbs and a reading of 8 lbs for the bag of flour. Moving around the scale apparently adds 3 lbs to objects. Makes sense now.

Edited by Zerxen