Need advice about losing weight through the treadmill.

Zerxen

Great job! It's hard to say you'll never have to calorie count. I've been a healthy weight for a decade. I don't count every single calorie, but I still ballpark it. It just becomes second nature after a while. You can still treat yourself every once in a while.

While developing healthy habits, I realized that despite being at a healthy weight, I still have a gut. Is it bad to be what people call "skinny fat"?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While developing healthy habits, I realized that despite being at a healthy weight, I still have a gut. Is it bad to be what people call "skinny fat"?

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's probably just how your body type is. If you're worried about it, you could always try ab exercises, but unless you plan to go around shirtless, it's not a big deal.

I started incline walking with my family's new treadmill. When I run, I do it at 6mph with a 2 percent incline. When I incline walk, I do it at 3 mph with a 10 percent incline. Which excercise is better overall? Or would it be best to rotate from time to time? I personally prefer incline walking because it is less tiring and more enjoyable for myself; of course, I make the excercise longer to compensate less energy being used by my body.

Edited by Zerxen

Okay guys I need some advice regarding my father. He noticed that I have lost weight and thinks that I should eat more. This is ridicolous since doing so will make me overweight again. He even mentioned before that I looked overweight in the past so this is really hypocritical.

I am now 149.6 lbs. I am about 5'5 (technically 5'4 and 3/4 but I round up normally) and I am now at a healthy weight. Is there any point where I no longer have to calorie count? I won't do it right away.

When you feel you're content, just aim for maintainance. If anything, calorie-counting should be something you should carry with you. Ever wonder how people magically gain weight because their "metabolism slows down"? While it is true that happens with age, it's really just people letting themselves go through the years. They leave it up to fate to decide wether they gain or lose weight. When you can literally turn that into numbers, you just can't go wrong.

When you feel you're content, just aim for maintainance. If anything, calorie-counting should be something you should carry with you. Ever wonder how people magically gain weight because their "metabolism slows down"? While it is true that happens with age, it's really just people letting themselves go through the years. They leave it up to fate to decide wether they gain or lose weight. When you can literally turn that into numbers, you just can't go wrong.

I think there is a bit of truth to it. I still watch what I eat as much as I did before, but even before this whole pregnancy thing, I gained 10 pounds in the past couple years. I'm 30 now. I was heavier in high school, but it my late teens through 20's I had to put a bit of effort into it, but I still had an easier time keeping the weight off. Your metabolism does slow down as you age.

That being said, I was/am a healthy weight. I'm sure as heck not going to tell you what I weight now, but at the beginning of the year, I was 150 lbs at 5'11", up from my 135-145 that I had maintained for a decade.

Oh, it does slow down, just nowhere as much as people think. Metabolism is pretty misunderstood. Skinny guys think it's the reason they're skinny, and older people think it's the reason they've let themselves go (not saying it's your case, though).

Here, this is really cool.

So in these past two months, I've lost a lot of weight and my family noticed that I look much slimmer. I plan on ending the diet sometime soon (mostly because my dad thinks what I am doing is unhealthy), but I will continue with cardio several times a week and do not intend on stopping. For a dude that is about 5feet and 4.7 inches and weights around 147 lbs, how many calories are needed to maintain my weight? I checked an online calculator and I was told I needed about 2500 calories. If this is accurate, I am gonna have a hard time achieving that daily considering my new habits.

Edited by Zerxen

So in these past two months, I've lost a lot of weight and my family noticed that I look much slimmer. I plan on ending the diet sometime soon (mostly because my dad thinks what I am doing is unhealthy), but I will continue with cardio several times a week and do not intend on stopping. For a dude that is about 5feet and 4.7 inches and weights around 147 lbs, how many calories are needed to maintain my weight? I checked an online calculator and I was told I needed about 2500 calories. If this is accurate, I am gonna have a hard time achieving that daily considering my new habits.

It depends on how old you are as well, and how intense and frequent your exercise is. If you enjoy exercise, that's great and you can keep doing it, but if it's a chore, you can cut back a bit, as long as you keep your calories in line.

Okay guys I need some advice regarding my father. He noticed that I have lost weight and thinks that I should eat more. This is ridicolous since doing so will make me overweight again. He even mentioned before that I looked overweight in the past so this is really hypocritical.

Dafuq?

Anyway, I'd tell him that if he wants you to eat more, then he can accompany you on your walks, and adjust your exercise time accordingly.

Dafuq?

Anyway, I'd tell him that if he wants you to eat more, then he can accompany you on your walks, and adjust your exercise time accordingly.

He lives under the assumption that if a young man does not eat enough, it will stunt his growth. Doesn't matter if what you eat is unhealthy. This belief is ridiculous especially considering I have not grown at all in years. The fact that he eats nothing but meat, rice, and oatmeal makes his credibility lacking. He cannot force feed me so obviously I won't follow suit; worst case scenario- I will just have to step up my cardio.

Edited by Zerxen

He lives under the assumption that if a young man does not eat enough, it will stunt his growth. Doesn't matter if what you eat is unhealthy. This belief is ridiculous especially considering I have not grown at all in years. The fact that he eats nothing but meat, rice, and oatmeal makes his credibility lacking. He cannot force feed me so obviously I won't follow suit; worst case scenario- I will just have to step up my cardio.

How old are you? Once you're 20 or so, you won't be growing much more anyway.

How old are you? Once you're 20 or so, you won't be growing much more anyway.

17. TBH my doctor informed me that my mother's genectics would leave me short. From what I remember, I would only grow another inch or two, and that is if I was likely.

Anyway how many calories should I have if I plan on maintaining my weight? Should I try eating 2200-2500 calories daily for a week and see if that does anything?

Edited by Zerxen

17. TBH my doctor informed me that my mother's genectics would leave me short. From what I remember, I would only grow another inch or two, and that is if I was likely.

Anyway how many calories should I have if I plan on maintaining my weight? Should I try eating 2200-2500 calories daily for a week and see if that does anything?

According to http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm, 2200 should be your mark if you want to maintain your weight, if you exercise 3 days a week.

Okay guys, I really need some advice about dealing with my father. He finds dieting is a problem and seems to disapprove of my weight loss. I am 17 and he thinks that I need to eat a lot in order to grow, which is untrue since I have done that in the past and it has not helped with height. He notices my recent rejection of fast food and assumes that I have stopped eating. I cannot explain my situation since he is always moody and intimidating. As I finished typing this, I was just finished crying out of frustration with him.

Edited by Zerxen

Explain the whole basics about calorie-counting. Tell him that you've got it under control- and, most importatly, show him how much good it's done to you.

Regarding your maintainance, you said your TDEE was about 2500, right? If it's that high, just eat at what you're comfterble with, as long as it doesn't exceed it.

So, I've been having a few hundred extra calories in order to maintain my weight, let's just say I am struggling. Honestly if I don't bother counting calories, by the end of the day, I would consume LESS than 2000. My relatives would occasionally bring fast food and I am getting the feeling that in order to maintain my weight, I am going to HAVE to eat that, regardless if I am hungry. I am in my teen years and the fact that extra calories in this age group helps out with growing bodies makes this harder. Any tips on maintanence? I don't want to go back to being gluttonous, nor do I want to be a twig.

Edited by Zerxen

So, I've been having a few hundred extra calories in order to maintain my weight, let's just say I am struggling. Honestly if I don't bother counting calories, by the end of the day, I would consume LESS than 2000. My relatives would occasionally bring fast food and I am getting the feeling that in order to maintain my weight, I am going to HAVE to eat that, regardless if I am hungry. I am in my teen years and the fact that extra calories in this age group helps out with growing bodies makes this harder. Any tips on maintanence? I don't want to go back to being gluttonous, nor do I want to be a twig.

You are still at the higher end of average for weight for your height. You could be as low as 114 lbs and still be within normal weight. If you think your maintenance level of calories is too high, it won't hurt for you to lose a bit more weight, since it will take less calories to maintain a lower weight. A 2000 calorie diet would maintain you at 114 lbs.

Your problem is a good problem to have. I find it's far easier to go over than it is to stay under.

Here's what you do to solve that problem. Eat smaller meals but more frequently and snack inbetween.

So try something like this:

Breakfast: 700 - 600 calories

Snack: 400 - 300

Snack: 250 - 150

Lunch: 600 calories (try to keep this smaller than your breakfast)

Snack: 250

Work-Out (you should eat before you work-out anyways).

Dinner: 300 calories (make sure this is smaller than your breakfast)

Assuming you wake up around 7am, you can eat breakfast, and then have a snack at 9 and 11, each lunch at 12 or 1, snack again at 3 or 4, work out around then, get home and eat dinner around 5 or 6. The issue you're probably having is that you're eating meals that are too large and your body can't digest enough of it in time. This means that you can't skip out on breakfast or eat a wimpy one either. You need to eat the most food in the morning. Not only will you feel better throughout the day, but it actually helps to maintain weight because your metabolism will actually have something to consume rather than store. And you'll actually get hungrier. Just eat something like nuts or yogurt for the snack and you'll be good.

Here's what you do to solve that problem. Eat smaller meals but more frequently and snack inbetween.

So try something like this:

Breakfast: 700 - 600 calories

Snack: 400 - 300

Snack: 250 - 150

Lunch: 600 calories (try to keep this smaller than your breakfast)

Snack: 250

Work-Out (you should eat before you work-out anyways).

Dinner: 300 calories (make sure this is smaller than your breakfast)

Assuming you wake up around 7am, you can eat breakfast, and then have a snack at 9 and 11, each lunch at 12 or 1, snack again at 3 or 4, work out around then, get home and eat dinner around 5 or 6. The issue you're probably having is that you're eating meals that are too large and your body can't digest enough of it in time. This means that you can't skip out on breakfast or eat a wimpy one either. You need to eat the most food in the morning. Not only will you feel better throughout the day, but it actually helps to maintain weight because your metabolism will actually have something to consume rather than store. And you'll actually get hungrier. Just eat something like nuts or yogurt for the snack and you'll be good.

Keeping a plan that like is good, but breakfast doesn't always have to be the biggest meal. For example, if I try to eat a lot for breakfast before work, I get really bad diarrhea, so everyone's body's circadian rhythm in terms of meals is a bit different, and it's ultimately down to total calories. My biggest meal is usually lunch or dinner.

Edited by Rezzy

If you're really trying to add weight, there are easier methods than forcing yourself to eat fast food. Back in my high school days I was also desperate to add weight (though this was in order to increase strength/muscle mass.) Eating a larger meal for dinner will accomplish this, since that meal is closest to when you go to sleep, so you simply have less time to burn off the calories you consume.

Another trick I took advantage of was to drink a lot of water right before going to sleep. I would wake up in the middle of the night to satisfy nature's urges, and eat a few spoonfuls of peanut butter before going back to sleep. Granted, this makes going back to sleep more difficult and is a bit more extreme than is necessary. Definitely helped me add weight in my teenage years, though.

It's really all about what you're looking for. If you're comfortable at the weight you're currently at, don't change your diet. Your father can pressure you all he wants but if you aren't malnourished, you shouldn't feel obligated to put on more pounds. I obviously don't know your dad but it's your life and you need to take care of yourself first.

If you're really trying to add weight, there are easier methods than forcing yourself to eat fast food. Back in my high school days I was also desperate to add weight (though this was in order to increase strength/muscle mass.) Eating a larger meal for dinner will accomplish this, since that meal is closest to when you go to sleep, so you simply have less time to burn off the calories you consume.

Another trick I took advantage of was to drink a lot of water right before going to sleep. I would wake up in the middle of the night to satisfy nature's urges, and eat a few spoonfuls of peanut butter before going back to sleep. Granted, this makes going back to sleep more difficult and is a bit more extreme than is necessary. Definitely helped me add weight in my teenage years, though.

It's really all about what you're looking for. If you're comfortable at the weight you're currently at, don't change your diet. Your father can pressure you all he wants but if you aren't malnourished, you shouldn't feel obligated to put on more pounds. I obviously don't know your dad but it's your life and you need to take care of yourself first.

Oh no, maintain, not gain weight. I am trying to add calories to my diet so my weight doesn't increase or decrease. I am comfortable at where I am at right now and I was trying to ensure no change occurs. Edited by Zerxen

Do you really need to be at a surplus to grow, though? I'm talking about normal growth, not excercise-induced growth. If it's a no, then I see no reason you should be eating more than you want to, let alone "a few extra hundred" (which, by the sound of it, sounds over maintainance). I'd kill for a 2500 TDEE, lol.