Pokemon: Challenge Cup Tournament: Grand Victor Horace

Jedi

Uh, Knock Off has a base power of 65. That's not very strong at all. Strong moves are 80 base power or higher to me. And you never know for sure if a Pokemon is holding an item.

But it is embarrassing. Good players don't let their Pokemon get knocked out in one hit that many times. And If I knew what move to use in every turn, I would've won. I'm not really good, and I will admit that in a few situations, I had no idea what to do, and I just went and picked my damaging move. I don't think I'm as bad as those replays would lead one to believe, but I don't think I'm that much better in reality.

There is clearly a lack of experience with competitive play here, don't take that the wrong way, there's nothing actually wrong with that.

Knock Off is a very common move, 65 is decent enough power against pokemon weak to it and every pokemon in competitive play is holding an item. That is not an exaggeration.

"Good players don't let their Pokemon get knocked out in one hit that many times." is, well, not exactly true. Sweeps happen a lot, that's how things go sometimes. I've been sweeped plenty of times much like what happened in the second battle. You can't let yourself get too upset about these things if it begins to hinder improvement.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knock off actually isn't weak at all. Its the single most powerful straightforward Dark move in the game when it does procs. Starting at 65 BP, and get 50% boost into 97 BP when it knocks down an item. 97 BP is just a little bit below Earthquake

Its even more amazing when you consider its a Dark Move. Dark, like Ghost have a notoriously weak move, with the widespread Shadow Ball and Crunch at 80, Shadow Claw at 75.

Also overall, Knock off is Top 3 move in competitive pokemon

The 3 is Thunder Wave > Scald > Knock Off. With a honorable mention of Stealth Rock.

Edited by JSND

Well, I guess we'll all just have to agree to disagree, won't we? I'm aware that in this case, the Pokemon will always have an item, though, so Knock Off is a bit better here. In the games, not so much.

Also, I may not be super experienced in competitive battling, but that doesn't mean I don't know some things.

Edited by Anacybele

2-0, 2-0 everywhere. Also Tsunami has replied with ''I may be online later'' but he's obviously afraid of my incredible combat skills that he wants to take advantage of my timezone by battling with me at the moment of the day when I'm tired!

I don't know what I'm doing.

Quint and I should be playing in a couple hours FEAR MY TERRIBLE LUCK

I already started a couple of random matches and I've been doing TERRIBLE so far. Falling at the hands of Landorus and Zekrom! But the last match I won it with the power of HONCHKROW so hopefully he'll save me.

Btw, let's do our matches right now

Funny ones, especially with your commentaries xD

Buena partida Quint :v

Is it wrong that I realize you talk spanish because of the " :v " emote, and not the actual spanish words? :P

Had to take a break, sorry.

Hey, now that I think of it, how do we even share replays, I'll need to know this once I'm done with Lord Gaius :3.