Do you like the Pair up system?

Harvey

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the pair up system?

• Yes
    • No

Do you think Pairing up mechanic is helpful to you guys?

I'll admit that I got used to pairing up simply because well...that guard is helpful and tempting at times.

Edited by Harvey

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted Yes but i only like the pair up system that is present in Fates. Awakening's pair up system is a bit too RNG reliant, i find.

Yes! Pair-up is realistic and adds more to strategizing! Do you pair up two units or not? Who do you pair up with who for what situation? And so on. And in real life, it makes sense to team up with an ally when it's to your advantage and watch their back and such.

Even if it was OP in Awakening, I thought it was an excellent feature, and Fates definitely fixed its issues.

Liked both. Fates' has some pretty cool tweaks to make DSes and Dual Guards work reliably, while Awakening's is broken, but is still fun to make use of and allows for interesting positioning shenanigans.

Edited by Gradivus.

Rescue is better.

We have Rescue in Fates. It's Shelter.

I love the implementation of Pair Up in fates. Good stuff. Although, I wish that there was a way to build up Pair Up bonuses even if the two don't get married. Perhaps they'll dump marriage next game and it'll be better.

I love the implementation of Pair Up in fates. Good stuff. Although, I wish that there was a way to build up Pair Up bonuses even if the two don't get married. Perhaps they'll dump marriage next game and it'll be better.

Hate to burst your bubble, but I assume marriage and Avatars are a mainstay now.

As long as it's not the Fates version, yes.

What did you find wrong with the Fates version? I thought it was pretty good.

Doesn't halve stats, can't canto after it, have to learn it at level 10 as a Cavalier. Not good enough.

I like Fates' attack stance, simply because it feels realistic to have two units standing next to each other fight together. Guard stance is "eh", and Awakening's pair-up was too broken.

That said, I'd like an option to "turn off" pair up entirely as well.

Hate to burst your bubble, but I assume marriage and Avatars are a mainstay now.

Avatars aren't marriage! Kris didn't get married and he was an avatar. We don't know if the existence of pair up means that marriage stays.

Doesn't halve stats, can't canto after it, have to learn it at level 10 as a Cavalier. Not good enough.

Only real thing that can't be duplicated. Only mounted units could canto after using rescue, and I feel that canto should simply be a skill to come back: it hasn't. The cavalier restriction is a good thing IMO. It makes the mounts have more tangible differences between them. Rescue as introduced in Thracia wasn't in FE1-FE4 or FE11-FE14. I always thought it was ridiculous in the GBA games that a person could pick up a horse and a person riding it. It's so ridiculous. It's funny, but it's distinctly silly in that regard.

The fates version is cool, i like it but I wouldn't be sad if it was gone the next game.

Awakening's version was beyond awful (as in too broken and luck based).

Edited by Nobody

I like it. Awakening made it a bit too OP for the player and I'm still trying to get hang of the Fates version (I find I hardly ever use attack stance), but in general I like it.

Irysa already alluded to this, but Shove and Rescue/Shelter really should be mechanics available to all units (with some limitations) rather than class-bound skills. I see no reason why only units with Oni in their class set can shove others for instance.

Canto I would like to see as a skill though (preferably on Nomads or a similar class because hit and run tactics would fit a class like that, and mounted archery bias)

I didn't like it in Awakening but I love it in Fates. Apart from the strategic depth of the Attack/Guard stance system, it's also useful for support building and moving slow units like Generals. I hope it stays in the series.

I like it. Awakening made it a bit too OP for the player and I'm still trying to get hang of the Fates version (I find I hardly ever use attack stance), but in general I like it.

Irysa already alluded to this, but Shove and Rescue/Shelter really should be mechanics available to all units (with some limitations) rather than class-bound skills. I see no reason why only units with Oni in their class set can shove others for instance.

Canto I would like to see as a skill though (preferably on Nomads or a similar class because hit and run tactics would fit a class like that, and mounted archery bias)

Here's how I would do it:

-all unmounted get Shove

-all mounted get Canto

-Shelter for everyone but stats reduced ala classic Rescue until the pair-up is broken.

I know a lot of people cringe at a free Canto because "uhmuhguh Mounted Emblem" but I honestly like Shove so much that I consider them equal.

I don't recall him alluding to that. Just that he wanted rescue back. I actually like the differentiation of the classes and feel like things like that being skills actually makes sense. Bring back the capacity from PoR/RD for skills, and this could be much better because it denotes skills from the person that enables them to pick people up etc.

I didn't like it in Awakening but I love it in Fates. Apart from the strategic depth of the Attack/Guard stance system, it's also useful for support building and moving slow units like Generals. I hope it stays in the series.

Here's how I would do it:

-all unmounted get Shove

-all mounted get Canto

-Shelter for everyone but stats reduced ala classic Rescue until the pair-up is broken.

I know a lot of people cringe at a free Canto because "uhmuhguh Mounted Emblem" but I honestly like Shove so much that I consider them equal.

Free canto IS kind of BS, because it pretty much makes mounted units just straight up better than foot units assuming that the unit can fight semi-competently. Shoving is far worse than rescue drop chaining. Canto is what makes rescue drop chaining so strong. Without it, it's not so bad, both skills are what is the problem.

I don't like it. The mechanic in itself replaces the Support Bonus and adds a new feature, which is flawed imo. Despite being realistic, I don't see two units fighting a gang on their own as a single unit, but in real stuff the gang can train wreck any of the two units. I prefer the way support bonuses were handled in FE6-10. I don't mind if said bonuses are gained by being within a 3 tile radius from the support unit or by being adjacent to it, I'm indifferent with both but I'll stay with how it was rather than how it is nowadays.

The Pair Up system still lacks balance and makes a scrub look competent, which disregards the natural growth of the character (bases and growths).

Heh... Looks like a cool concept in theory...

But actually... It's just benefites Stat-stacking... Aka: Low-manning... So... this actually can make the game extremely easy if you know how to use it.

Edited by Troykv

While fates still addressed some of the problems with the pair up system, I still dislike it because it simplifies the game, and unlike rescuing which penalized the unit, pairing gives bonuses. While I do see why people like it, I wish there would be an option to turn it off completely.

I don't recall him alluding to that. Just that he wanted rescue back. I actually like the differentiation of the classes and feel like things like that being skills actually makes sense. Bring back the capacity from PoR/RD for skills, and this could be much better because it denotes skills from the person that enables them to pick people up etc.

Free canto IS kind of BS, because it pretty much makes mounted units just straight up better than foot units assuming that the unit can fight semi-competently. Shoving is far worse than rescue drop chaining. Canto is what makes rescue drop chaining so strong. Without it, it's not so bad, both skills are what is the problem.

Discussion of/solutions to mounted unit balance is going to need to take a lot of factors into consideration. Personally, I'd rather a fun mechanic (like Canto) be tweaked rather than removed or have such poor distribution that few can make use of it (like Shove in Fates). I don't recall Canto ever being game breaking or dissuading me to use anything but mounted units. If they were to limit Canto to a class skill, I'd want it to be full Canto (ie it works even after attacking).