What artstyle would you like to see the next FE?

Harvey

Also I forgot to mention this, but Toriyama is alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_Toriyama

I read that somebody behind the art had died at the beach after being found unconscious though... (it was too late when they found him)

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read that somebody behind the art had died at the beach after being found unconscious though... (it was too late when they found him)

I dunno who you're talking about, then, since said artist is alive and all. News of Toriyama dying would spread like wildfire in the Dragon Quest community, at least.

It was probably another artist working for him, maybe?

I kind of think I'd rather the series die with Fates and not get a next game, so none

but if i had to... I don't want the old ones back because I feel like that'd be a disgrace to their legacy, so maybe... a more chibi/moe style to fit the lack of seriousness of the game and its other thematic changes and such. I think people would like it. (some would, anyway.)

edit: i misspelled the word 'some' and didn't notice i've shamed myself

Edited by Crimson Red

I dunno who you're talking about, then, since said artist is alive and all. News of Toriyama dying would spread like wildfire in the Dragon Quest community, at least.

It was probably another artist working for him, maybe?

The one you're referring to is graphic designer Manabu Daishima who was a long time employee of Square Enix. He didn't create the artstyle for Dragon Quest as he is more of a level environment designer.

I would like the old ones back just to spite the poster above me.

ahahaha, that would be hilarious

edit: i like how you didn't quote me to avoid getting my attention or whatever, clever, lol

Edited by Crimson Red

Some artists I'd like to see make art for future games:

[spoiler=Tomomi Kobayashi]

Red_Normal_and_Alkaizer.png

Main artist for the SaGa series.

[spoiler=Ayami Kojima]

AriaArtwork.jpg

Artist for a good chunk of the Metroid-style Castlevania games.

[spoiler=Haruki Suetsugu]

MMX6Promo.jpg

Artist for Mega Man X4, X5, and X6.

And as a returning artist:

[spoiler=Shirow Masamune]

SDWallpaper.jpg

Official artist for Shadow Dragon; also wrote and illustrated Ghost in the Shell.

He's been doing a lot of hentai lately and, to be honest, I think it's high time for him to get out of that phase. He's done art for FE before, so as long as he or someone else keeps himself in check, I think he could do a damn fine job.

I kind of think I'd rather the series die with Fates and not get a next game, so none

but if i had to... I don't want the old ones back because I feel like that'd be a disgrace to their legacy, so maybe... a more chibi/moe style to fit the lack of seriousness of the game and its other thematic changes and such. I think people would like it. (some would, anyway.)

edit: i misspelled the word 'some' and didn't notice i've shamed myself

Favorite Game: Blazing Sword

Member Badge: Roy

ok

you also invalidated your own argument when you mentioned moe, which is a bad term people use to blanketly refer to all things that are even vaguely cute

ok

you also invalidated your own argument when you mentioned moe, which is a bad term people use to blanketly refer to all things that are even vaguely cute

Someone's member icon and favorite Fire Emblem game aren't valid points against them.

Also, what "argument" were they even making to have been invalidated? They were expressing their opinion, which actually is not the same thing as putting forth an argument. Just saying.

By the way, please find something better to do than deliberately antagonizing people for openly expressing disdain for 3DSFE. It's alright that you enjoy the games, but your opinion is no more objectively-correct than anybody else's. I understand that it's frustrating to hear something you like be relentlessly torn apart on the regular, but those people have just as much right to hate Awakening and Fates as you do to dislike Genealogy of the Holy War's mid-game plot twist.

Edited by Topaz Light

Someone's member icon and favorite Fire Emblem game aren't valid points against them.

Also, what "argument" were they even making to have been invalidated? They were expressing their opinion, which actually is not the same thing as putting forth an argument. Just saying.

By the way, please find something better to do than deliberately antagonizing people for openly expressing disdain for 3DSFE. It's alright that you enjoy the games, but your opinion is no more objectively-correct than anybody else's. I understand that it's frustrating to hear something you like be relentlessly torn apart on the regular, but those people have just as much right to hate Awakening and Fates as you do to dislike Genealogy of the Holy War's mid-game plot twist.

Normally, a person's favorite game doesn't mean anything. And I don't have a problem with people disliking the games at all. I mean, there are plenty of topics about the modern games I don't complain about. But the people with the most radical views tend to always be Elibe fans. I don't think I've ever seen someone with Radiant Dawn or Shadow Dragon or even Sacred Stones be so upset about the current direction. It tends to stem from how Blazing Sword was the first game in the west, or how Binding Blade was the first game after Melee, so a lot of people could enter the series with those games.

Moe is still a really bad term regardless if it is an opinion or an argument. People throw around anything moe to describe anything that's remotely Japanese and cute. And it isn't as if somehow the older artists will be "spitting on their legacy" by coming back. That makes no sense in any way.

Also, dunno what you mean by saying that I dislike Genealogy. It's one of the most flat out fun FE games in the series. I think the twist is rather meaningless from a story perspective, but I love how it mixes things up from a gameplay perspective. I like every FE game in some way except Blazing Sword and ironically Conquest. To that extent, I actually don't even like Fates that much honestly. I don't particularly care about it, but it still gets exhausting seeing the amount of vitriol sent it's way for being different. It's not even becoming more "anime," because it's actually just conforming to Nintendo's style. People who want a super series Fire Emblem need to remember that Nintendo's main series are Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Splatoon, and Kirby.

Normally, a person's favorite game doesn't mean anything. And I don't have a problem with people disliking the games at all. I mean, there are plenty of topics about the modern games I don't complain about. But the people with the most radical views tend to always be Elibe fans. I don't think I've ever seen someone with Radiant Dawn or Shadow Dragon or even Sacred Stones be so upset about the current direction. It tends to stem from how Blazing Sword was the first game in the west, or how Binding Blade was the first game after Melee, so a lot of people could enter the series with those games.

Moe is still a really bad term regardless if it is an opinion or an argument. People throw around anything moe to describe anything that's remotely Japanese and cute. And it isn't as if somehow the older artists will be "spitting on their legacy" by coming back. That makes no sense in any way.

Also, dunno what you mean by saying that I dislike Genealogy. It's one of the most flat out fun FE games in the series. I think the twist is rather meaningless from a story perspective, but I love how it mixes things up from a gameplay perspective. I like every FE game in some way except Blazing Sword and ironically Conquest. To that extent, I actually don't even like Fates that much honestly. I don't particularly care about it, but it still gets exhausting seeing the amount of vitriol sent it's way for being different. It's not even becoming more "anime," because it's actually just conforming to Nintendo's style. People who want a super series Fire Emblem need to remember that Nintendo's main series are Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Splatoon, and Kirby.

I suppose that may be true. My concern was mainly that the way you presented that felt a bit like an ad hominem attack, and isn't actually hardly ever relevant to whatever someone might be saying.

Believe me, my objection was 100% to the statement that it was an argument that was being invalidated; "moe", and everything the term represents, is all absolute garbage. Not disagreeing with you there.

And, oh, I guess that's my bad, then. I suppose I just kind of assumed based on a response I recall you making to a topic asking how people would feel about another Fire Emblem game having a similar twist. My apologies for being presumptuous!

(Also sorry this is such a short bare-bones response I'm posting it from my phone at 5:00AM so it's a little hard to formulate a really fleshed-out reply. On another note, if this particular discussion ends up continuing it might be best to do it through PM so the main topic doesn't go too far off the rails.)

Edited by Topaz Light

ok

lol, chill maybe

if you're upset or triggered or whatever by the use of the word 'moe' perhaps consider politely suggesting an alternative because claiming stuff like 'you invalidated your own argument' when I wasn't making an argument to start with doesn't come off as very playful, haha. that being said I'll apologize if it helps—sorry—though I'm not a fan of nitpicking over words, or else I'd have to argue about your use of the word vitriol among other things lol

I find it super amusing that you look into these "patterns" behind "people with radical views" (note: the quotes are not direct quotes, more like general paraphrasing or something), but you know basically nothing about me or my views?? just assuming I have the same views as everyone else you've seen is pretty judgmental IMO lol, even moreso when you use my icon or whatever which I haven't changed in... probably years (since I'm not an active user) to help confirm your suspicions

oh no I liked Radiant Dawn and Sacred Stones was arguably a better game than FE7 in terms of gameplay (assuming I didn't grind and majorly disrupt what "game balance" there is) it doesn't mean one way or another that I'm the same as or different from others in my views, I could still hate Fates just as much, in the end a perceived trend is at most just a trend but more likely a self-wrought prejudice =P

as far as hating on Fates goes, love and hate are two sides of the same coins. people who loved FE a lot can come to hate it all the more when it changes in a bad way. (there are also series that change and are different, but not necessarily worse; I would not say FE or Tales of are such series, but like anything else that's an opinion and up to what would probably be a pointless debate)

furthermore, all the love and passion and praise for Fates is of course going to want to make those who dislike it and see its flaws want to speak up more. the more people get upset and try to silence those voices, the more they want to speak out. it's only natural. eventually most people will get tired of criticizing the games and move on, as both the cries of "unjustified, moronic love" and "bitter, stubborn hate" (as they're seen by people on the two extremes) die down and move on to the next thing

which in this case will probably be FE mobile. I'm half-expecting a different artist than any of the ones we've seen before for the FE series, which regardless of the outcome is probably going to cause some bit of discussion, though if they're notably worse or notably more stylized then they'll def get more attention and outrage. <- on-topic discussion

as for me, I'm a free spirit, I say what I want since I don't give a crap what the people here think of me, so if you want to think I'm a big Fates-hating jerk, you can, but that's probably not a good idea in general unless you enjoy bashing heads with people, lol. I don't think I attacked or insulted anyone personally after all, if I did then it'd be a different story~

EDIT: I forgot to mention, 'spitting on the legacy' is maybe a bit harsh but the idea is that if an older artist were to work on a new game, by the logic of

artist worked on old game which was decent

artist works on new game which is bad

the artist now becomes associated with a bad game, and also has to deal with the much more pronounced/vocal waifu/husbando/etc. comm (compared to a dozen years ago), instead of keeping their reputation/record with only the decent games. ofc, this is dependent on the perspective of the person: if you think the newer games are good, or have somehow embraced the comm (it's way too prominent to just ignore), then you won't feel this way, but the important part is understanding that people can/do.

it's a pretty common concept--happens with entertainment celebrities and sports people too, if they make a comeback they risk soiling the legacy they built up, some people even quit while they're ahead to avoid it! XP so I would hope that it would make sense, but if not, oh well, not going to push it. just thought it would be a little rude of me not to at least try and clarify.

EDIT2: I changed my icon/fave game info juuuust for you ;)

Edited by Crimson Red

On-topic, I really like Kimihiko Fujisaka's Roy art and the stuff that he did for The Last Story. It has an almost gritty feel to it while maintaining high fantasy aspects.

I'd be 120% behind this. VC has really beautiful artwork.

Are you talking about the cel shaded 3d graphics or the ones that don't use them? I was observing a little and the ones that don't use the water color style look very similar to the artstyle of Awakening and Fates.....

Edited by Harvey

Are you talking about the cel shaded 3d graphics or the ones that don't use them? I was observing a little and the ones that don't use the water color style look very similar to the artstyle of Awakening and Fates.....

Cel-shaded. I like the anime style characters of VC but it's the water-color look that really makes the game.

Maybe it is time for a more Western style? I feel like the series could use a break from the explicit "Anime" art style used in Awakening and Fates. Although I guess that is part of the reason why those game were so popular in the first place...
While it is probably never gonna happen, I would like to see a Fire Emblem game with an edgier style, like the "Gargoyles" cartoon, "Batman the Animated Series" or even "Gorillaz".

Edited by Masterthunderblade

Maybe it is time for a more Western style? I feel like the series could use a break from the explicit "Anime" art style used in Awakening and Fates. Although I guess that is part of the reason why those game were so popular in the first place...

While it is probably never gonna happen, I would like to see a Fire Emblem game with an edgier style, like the "Gargoyles" cartoon, "Batman the Animated Series" or even "Gorillaz".

You say that as if every FE game doesn't have an anime art style.

It's kind of a thing for games made in Japan.

You say that as if every FE game doesn't have an anime art style.

It's kind of a thing for games made in Japan.

Fair enough, but I feel like the last two installments took the artstyle a step further towards modern main-stream anime. I feel like it is more explicit/clear-cut now... (Sorry, I'm quite terrible at describing anime artstyles, it seems) Although it is possible that I'm letting my judgment being clouded by the fact that I watched more anime myself, which resulted into recognizing more anime tropes than I used to. I know that I'm being unreasonable here, I would just like to see a more "Western style" adapted, even when such a thing is very unlikely. At one point Intelligent Systems wanted to make a Fire Emblem game on Mars, so even when the art style wouldn't change I would like to see Fire Emblem take a different direction. The art style is but one of the ways that can atrribute to such a change.

I don't hate anime or its art style, in fact I rather like it, but I like something radically different as well.

Edited by Masterthunderblade

That's mostly because the current art matches what's currently popular. Older FEs used anime styles that matched their own time periods as well.

That's mostly because the current art matches what's currently popular. Older FEs used anime styles that matched their own time periods as well.

You are completely right. I guess I'm just not that big a fan of the style that is currently popular, although when I mentiond "needing a break" I was mostly referring to the fact that Awakening and Fates have the same distinct style and I would like to see something new.

stylechart2.jpg

You are completely right. I guess I'm just not that big a fan of the style that is currently popular, although when I mentiond "needing a break" I was mostly referring to the fact that Awakening and Fates have the same distinct style and I would like to see something new.

stylechart2.jpg

That 2000s one looks amazing though compared to the other ones

that's like, the best style for anything. K-On is probably my favorite anime.

I'm fine with Kozaki staying, but I'd rather Kozaki stick to the current style of 3DS games. As in, if there's a big NX game, it probably should have a different artist. For instance, if FE15 is a big NX title, there could be a new artist, and if FE16 is a 3DS Gaiden remake, then have Kozaki do the art.

Edited by Enigmar

I am personally fine with the current tbh. Sure it's a little fanservicey, but that is also just what Japan is into for whatever reason right now. Just look at the latest anime/manga to come out recently. A good chunk of it is filled with fan service.

But if I had to choose then there are a few. Unfortunately I don't know names, so I will go off of series I know them from.

I think whoever is doing the Arslan series right now would be great. It fits Fire Emblem really well, while maintaining a bit of the modern look. I think it would go over well, and the armor designs would go back to a little more simpler looks, which I think is kind of needed. I am a little tired of trash can Knights.

I like the previously brought up idea of Valkyria Chronicles art style. I think it was a great style that could translate well for Fire Emblem, especially if we are looking at a console release.

Something I think would be interesting, but would never, ever, happen is a western artist being used. Doesn't even have to go away from the anime style. There was an artist in the 90's who did some x-men comics, and he mixed the western style with that of anime/manga, and I always thought it looked really good. Unfortunately I can't post any images as I am currently mobile, but look up The Astonishing X-men from the Age of Apocalypse series, while it would never happen, I don't think his art style would be too bad. It's more of an interesting thought to me though.

Edited by Tolvir