Posted (edited) · Hidden by eclipse, July 25, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, July 25, 2016 - No reason given

Double posted due to bad connection

Edited by Rezzy
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rezzy, I think you need to chill for a little while, reread Pharoahe's posts a little later!

Hyuga really should have known better, it's hard to criticise what's come afterwards when a definite lack of self control was the trigger. Hopefully it won't entirely ruin his career, but at the same time, it's his own doing. If he does survive this, let's hope he's learned his lesson.

I don't recall Pharoahe saying he doesn't believe you.

Rezzy, I think you need to chill for a little while, reread Pharoahe's posts a little later!

Hyuga really should have known better, it's hard to criticise what's come afterwards when a definite lack of self control was the trigger. Hopefully it won't entirely ruin his career, but at the same time, it's his own doing. If he does survive this, let's hope he's learned his lesson.

I was referring to

I find that on message boards, a lot of users have darker backstories than most people.

I don't know what else he would be implying.

maybe that he legitimately finds people to have worse backgrounds on internet forums? then he says his experience? I'm not sure I agree, but I wouldn't say that it wasn't the case that people are more likely to share the worst things that have happened to them online.

to take it at face value was my first tendency, I had to extrapolate heavily the implication that this meant that it was convenient and he thought you were lying.

Edited by Tryhard

I'm with Tryhard here.

Rezz, he is simply stating that people on forums (like us) tend to have "darker stories" than other people who don't frequent forums.

I'm with Tryhard here.

Rezz, he is simply stating that people on forums (like us) tend to have "darker stories" than other people who don't frequent forums.

I'd give your backstory as an example, but I don't think the world is ready to hear the truth about your crime stopping spandex-clad adventures at night,

Have to agree with Tryhard et al. on this. My first read of that sentence had me nodding and going "yup, internet forums are a self-selected group that seem to have a higher than average population of people with social problems of some sort or other, and quite possibly extremely valid reasons for having them".

Have to agree with Tryhard et al. on this. My first read of that sentence had me nodding and going "yup, internet forums are a self-selected group that seem to have a higher than average population of people with social problems of some sort or other, and quite possibly extremely valid reasons for having them".

Might actually be the reason that people are on the forums because they didn't have past that were too great. Or perhaps it's not really that people have darker past that are on forums but rather, we become more aware of the various messed up pasts people have because we talk to a wider range of people. I'm actually curious if someone has actually done research on that.

Brief summary of thoughts:

-There were multiple witnesses involved and it seems that everyone can agree that Hyuga touched VikkiKitty inappropriately during the night and was kicked out of the room for doing so.

-VikkiKitty coming forward immediately was necessary and Hyuga's removal from the tournament is justified. Brushing the incident under the rug and allowing Hyuga to finish the tournament sends a message that you can get away with inappropriate contact with other attendees. People would demonize her and ask why she didn't come forward sooner if they had kept this information to herself. Alex Strife is still fresh on everyone's minds and the Smash community allowed that scumbag to operate in the community for too long.

-Hyuga should also probably be banned from tournaments until the whole thing blows over since it's pretty much impossible to force him from abstaining from alcohol without being on house arrest or something.

-I don't think Hyuga should be banned from his locals but that's up to the Mexican scene to decide.

-I don't think VikkiKitty was wrong to speak up on Twitter for something that is VERY serious and that happened directly to her. People didn't crack down on Alex Strife's shit for so long and let him get away with so much before ousting him from Apex 2015. I don't think the Smash community wants anything like that to happen again where some high profile player has misdeeds glossed over for years.

-Nick Riddle went too far dumping a private conversation. That's on him. VGBC put out a much more professional statement when they dropped their sponsership of Hyuga.

-Yes this is causing drama but overall I think the right call was made. No criminal charges laid as there was an acknowledgement that Hyuga was not in the right state of mind and that VikkiKitty did not deem the incident serious enough to warrant police intervention. But not allowing Hyuga to participate in the tournament and sending him home is absolutely the correct response. And since you can't just send him home with a "no comment" without people blowing up at you on social media, they gave out their reasoning. Hyuga apologized to the community and in the short term people are going to flame him, but if he is sincere and manages to be incident free in tournaments held closer to home, I think he'll be allowed to come back to other events.

maybe that he legitimately finds people to have worse backgrounds on internet forums? then he says his experience? I'm not sure I agree, but I wouldn't say that it wasn't the case that people are more likely to share the worst things that have happened to them online.to take it at face value was my first tendency, I had to extrapolate heavily the implication that this meant that it was convenient and he thought you were lying.

I'm with Tryhard here.

I'd give your backstory as an example, but I don't think the world is ready to hear the truth about your crime stopping spandex-clad adventures at night,

Might actually be the reason that people are on the forums because they didn't have past that were too great. Or perhaps it's not really that people have darker past that are on forums but rather, we become more aware of the various messed up pasts people have because we talk to a wider range of people. I'm actually curious if someone has actually done research on that.

If I inferred something that wasn't implied and became defensive, then I apologize, but I wish he had clarified that in his response. I think a lot of people probably have life experience similar to me, it's just not something you really being up unless it's relevant.

-There were multiple witnesses involved and it seems that everyone can agree that Hyuga touched VikkiKitty inappropriately during the night and was kicked out of the room for doing so.

-VikkiKitty coming forward immediately was necessary and Hyuga's removal from the tournament is justified. Brushing the incident under the rug and allowing Hyuga to finish the tournament sends a message that you can get away with inappropriate contact with other attendees. People would demonize her and ask why she didn't come forward sooner if they had kept this information to herself. Alex Strife is still fresh on everyone's minds and the Smash community allowed that scumbag to operate in the community for too long.

-Hyuga should also probably be banned from tournaments until the whole thing blows over since it's pretty much impossible to force him from abstaining from alcohol without being on house arrest or something.

-I don't think Hyuga should be banned from his locals but that's up to the Mexican scene to decide.

-I don't think VikkiKitty was wrong to speak up on Twitter for something that is VERY serious and that happened directly to her. People didn't crack down on Alex Strife's shit for so long and let him get away with so much before ousting him from Apex 2015. I don't think the Smash community wants anything like that to happen again where some high profile player has misdeeds glossed over for years.

-Nick Riddle went too far dumping a private conversation. That's on him. VGBC put out a much more professional statement when they dropped their sponsership of Hyuga.

-Yes this is causing drama but overall I think the right call was made. No criminal charges laid as there was an acknowledgement that Hyuga was not in the right state of mind and that VikkiKitty did not deem the incident serious enough to warrant police intervention. But not allowing Hyuga to participate in the tournament and sending him home is absolutely the correct response. And since you can't just send him home with a "no comment" without people blowing up at you on social media, they gave out their reasoning. Hyuga apologized to the community and in the short term people are going to flame him, but if he is sincere and manages to be incident free in tournaments held closer to home, I think he'll be allowed to come back to other events.

Very well put. I think your views on the matter match up with mine, more or less.

Exactly this. No malice in my statement.

One more thing, who's Alex Strife? Did something similar happen before?

One more thing, who's Alex Strife? Did something similar happen before?

He's an asshole that actively degrades women and abuses them. Up until recently, he's gone unpunished, and even now is still able to prey upon them. He needs to be jailed.

He's an asshole that actively degrades women and abuses them. Up until recently, he's gone unpunished, and even now is still able to prey upon them. He needs to be jailed.

I just looked him up and as far as I can tell he only makes really inappropriate sexual remarks?

I just looked him up and as far as I can tell he only makes really inappropriate sexual remarks?

Not even close. Outing someone who's trans, without their permission, is dangerous. If Hyuga got kicked for his actions, Alex should've been given the boot as soon as this came to light.

Though with this knowledge, I feel better about the Smash community. Just a little.

Opens her ass up for a libel suit, if he wanted to be a dick. Yes, Hyuga would lose, but in the process, he'd force her and everyone else to relive that night.

She did the first step right, and that was reporting it to the police. Second step should've been talking to a therapist, so she'd have her head on straight. Third would be to a lawyer, especially if she wanted to expose herself like this.

Or have you forgotten Gamergate already?

Eh, if he didn't have any sort of memories of doing that, of course he would likely want to sue for libel.

If he denied it, he's a bastard for disrespecting her. If that happened, he probably would've been jailed.

To Rezzy: More than 75% of criminal sexual acts go unreported. Rape is the only crime that I would rather an innocent go to prison than the guilty walk free. The only thing worse than being killed by a criminal is being raped by one, especially if it involves torture, if not torture already.

There is only one side of a story to hear in a case of sexual crimes. To give any credence to the sex offender trivializes what is always a very serious crime. Honestly, his defense didn't work for the Vanderbilt American Football players, so why would it work for him. She didn't press charges, so the worst he faces is the ban, when the Vanderbilt players face decades in a state prison. He should take flak and be lucky he isn't going to end up in a Las Vegas jail.

Jesus christ, you should REALLY take some time to review these opinions, specially considering that without any proof, his word is as worth as much as hers in this case.
Edited by Achelexus