I feel like starting a new Conquest run

Rapier

But this time I want to use some units that are hard to use (no EXP dlc, no exp from anywhere but chapter maps), like Odin, Benny and Laslow. Every time I tried using Odin, he was a pretty meh magic user with all around stats (and usually more str than mag), and Conquest is too cruel with units that don't grow properly. Benny has a pretty bad joining time and leveling him might be a pain when I could be spending the exp on other, more active units, but I like him so I want to give it a try. I've used Laslow plenty of times, but he always turns out mediocre.

So, any ideas on how I can make them better / useful characters on my new run? I'm horrible at memorizing when I'm going to get stuff and it has been more than half a year that I don't play Fates. I've thought about making Odin a myrmidon, but I'd rather keep him on the same class (or in a class that uses magic, for gameplay & story consistency's sake). Laslow could get some boosters, and Benny... idk, first time using him as something that is not a pair-up bot, he's probably alright and can survive hits on his own with his absurd def.

Suggestions: Avoid Camilla unless the Sky Knights in Chapter 10 are about to get the drop on the green zone. Benny will probably be best promoted in or right after his join chapter into General, as Wary Fighter is crippling to Effie, but useful to Benny. If you want Laslow as more than a rally bot, use the Hero Seal from Before Awakening to reclass to Lodestar. Don't use Xander at all. Keep Azura as a Songstress and escape Chapter 15.

But this time I want to use some units that are hard to use (no EXP dlc, no exp from anywhere but chapter maps), like Odin, Benny and Laslow. Every time I tried using Odin, he was a pretty meh magic user with all around stats (and usually more str than mag), and Conquest is too cruel with units that don't grow properly. Benny has a pretty bad joining time and leveling him might be a pain when I could be spending the exp on other, more active units, but I like him so I want to give it a try. I've used Laslow plenty of times, but he always turns out mediocre.

So, any ideas on how I can make them better / useful characters on my new run? I'm horrible at memorizing when I'm going to get stuff and it has been more than half a year that I don't play Fates. I've thought about making Odin a myrmidon, but I'd rather keep him on the same class (or in a class that uses magic, for gameplay & story consistency's sake). Laslow could get some boosters, and Benny... idk, first time using him as something that is not a pair-up bot, he's probably alright and can survive hits on his own with his absurd def.

None of those are even remotely hard to use. Here's the rundown.

Drug the shit out of Odin with tonics and just nos facedive everything to hard roll Odin up to level "way too damn high" dip for vantage, and hit the nos button. Odin is really not hard to use at all, vantage nos on a mage with absurd (for a mage) hp/def/skill growths and a perfectly acceptable mag stat (cq literally vomits spirit dusts and there are no other targets for them) is way too good. Get Ophelia as soon as Odin can pass vantage for dust+tomes+brokephelia, if you want to watch the world burn just lategame dip Odin and Ophelia for LoD VV and laugh as lunatic!CQ explodes. Seriously Odin/Ophelia are overpowered as fuck.

Benny joins with reasonable stats with a real chance at hitting 20/1 by ch16 and gets draco from Beruka, she fixes his mobility makes a solid iggy and you get double/tripple fatass and accurate drcozerks lategame. He's solid.

Laslow is probably the best gen 1 master ninja/dreadfighter in fates, inherent merc tree + his growths are all that ninja ever wanted. if you want a really really easy startup dread seal/heart seal him on his join, burn the early arms scroll on him, and just dip merc tree for sol/breakers. His thirst also makes the 2nd most broken kid. Have him marry... any physmom not named beruka.

Edited by joshcja

Hard to use units... there are a few I can think of and even though I LIKE to use them, even I have to admit that it's hard to justify over other, sadly better characters.

Here are the two Nohr characters I think most people find hardest to use, but I will use them anyway, if only to get rid of those stupid Royals:

Nyx - Has better Mag, Spd and Res than Odin, but worse Skl and Def (HP is also pretty bad). If you want to use her, dump every Secret Book and Dragon Shield you get on her and she will come out as a very, very strong Sorceress. Even better if you marry her yourself (have Oni Savage talent) and go Oni Chieftain for Resistance Seal, Counter and Deathblow. Resistance Seal especially will cripple most high Res enemies like Ninjas, who won't be able to do much in return (especially not if you get Calamity Gate from Ophelia's paralogue.)

She can be better than Leo, courtesy of her ability to double everything that isn't a Swordmaster or Master Ninja.

Peri - Also hampered by bad Skl and Def, but she is very fast and has decent Res for a Cavalier. Promote her to Great Knight to patch up her Def, alternatively don't have her fight Physical opponents. Make her a Dark Flier and get Galeforce, then marry her to Kaze and get Replicate (if you're willing to grind) and watch as things crumble under the power of her personal skill.

Screw Xander, Peri's in da house, yo!