Do you think Fire Emblem should have more game modes?

Sure, we have Classic, Casual, and Phoenix mode. But I am thinking something beyond that.

Like in KH, there's an ability you can activate that prevents you from getting experience in what I assume is to make the game more challenging. So I don't see why is series like Fire Emblem couldn't have a 0% growth mode. I also think that they could have fixed growth mode. Or a mode that allows you to disable the weapon triangle.

So basically you'd like to see dondon's style of play, RD HM style of play as well as the games before the weapon triangle existed, and FE9 Fixed Growths/Fates Lunatic Growths all as different options?

I'd be down for that, also maybe something goofy like FE5's Elite/Paragon mode for goofiness too.

Edited by Jedi

There ARE 0% Growth Rate patches out there for a good chunk of the Fire Emblem games, and I think one of the Tellius games has a fixed growth mode. The first 3 games and TRS have no Weapon Triangle, as well.

But it would be interesting for these to be brought back as optional modes for future installments.

Fixed growths should really happen more often in FE, as optional of course. It makes it more about weapon usage and unit placement over RNG. I mean actual fixed, not Fates' "seeds" fixed.

0% Growths/Experience sounds nuts, and almost impossible. How the hell would you beat the final boss with base stats?

I would like a mode with the enemy being able to do anything you do honestly. Pair-Up and seperate, trade Weapons across each other, use stat boosters, etc. I feel it'd be really interesting and, with good AI, extremely tough.

So basically you'd like to see dondon's style of play, RD HM style of play as well as the games before the weapon triangle existed, and FE9 Fixed Growths/Fates Lunatic Growths all as different options?

I'd be down for that, also maybe something goofy like FE5's Elite/Paragon mode for goofiness too.

There ARE 0% Growth Rate patches out there for a good chunk of the Fire Emblem games, and I think one of the Tellius games has a fixed growth mode. The first 3 games and TRS have no Weapon Triangle, as well.

But it would be interesting for these to be brought back as optional modes for future installments.

You know. I was expecting someone to comment this. My main gripe with RD hard mode is that they also turn off movement range. But yes, the idea is to have it a separate options.

And I know 0% growth patches are avaliable, that is how I know that it is possible to beat the game with 0% growth. But it isn't accessible for every game and I prefer to play my game on a cartridge, I also don't have the skills to patch it on to a cartridge.

Fixed growths should really happen more often in FE, as optional of course. It makes it more about weapon usage and unit placement over RNG. I mean actual fixed, not Fates' "seeds" fixed.

Actually Jedi, this is what I was referring to as well. Not the seeded fixed growths. Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

0% Growths/Experience sounds nuts, and almost impossible. How the hell would you beat the final boss with base stats?

Most FE games give you insane nuking options for said final bosses such as Roy being able to pretty much 3 shot his final boss with 7 strength because the Binding Blade is stupidly powerful, although starting with 12 stats started scaling a bit tooooooo high in the highest difficulties.

But other examples are like Athos existing, Tiki being able to nuke Medeus in FE11 even abusing revival via the Aum staff, and various other things in the franchise. Also FE5's final boss is hilariously weak, I think Ashera is possible too, because Laguz Noble spam.

They aren't easy to do by any means, @doing the entire 0% growths thing, but usually the final bosses aren't an issue. Another thing is using stat boosters in a key way.

Edited by Jedi

An Ironman mode or Random Team select mode. The Ironman mode would include additional features like revive items that don't show up in Classic. Random Team Select mode would force you to field any units that appear on your select list.

Most FE games give you insane nuking options for said final bosses such as Roy being able to pretty much 3 shot his final boss with 7 strength because the Binding Blade is stupidly powerful, although starting with 12 stats started scaling a bit tooooooo high in the highest difficulties.

But other examples are like Athos existing, Tiki being able to nuke Medeus in FE11 even abusing revival via the Aum staff, and various other things in the franchise. Also FE5's final boss is hilariously weak, I think Ashera is possible too, because Laguz Noble spam.

They aren't easy to do by any means, @doing the entire 0% growths thing, but usually the final bosses aren't an issue. Another thing is using stat boosters in a key way.

The only one I can't figure out how you can possibly beat on 0% is PoR on Hard mode. I doubt Ike can scratch Ashnard and I don't know how well Ena does (because you aren't getting Nasir)

An Ironman mode or Random Team select mode. The Ironman mode would include additional features like revive items that don't show up in Classic. Random Team Select mode would force you to field any units that appear on your select list.

How would the game force you to do an Ironman? I do like your random team select idea though Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

The only one I can't figure out how you can possibly beat on 0% is PoR on Hard mode. I doubt Ike can scratch Ashnard and I don't know how well Ena does (because you aren't getting Nasir)

I'm not 100% sure either to be honest haha.

I'd love these.

Here's another idea. It might not be its own mode but if there were a toggle to make it so all enemies had the skills expected of their class and level (all enemy Generals have Wary Fighter, sorrynotsorry), that could make the game a bit more difficult but fair.

How would the game force you to do an Ironman? I do like your random team select idea though

The game would save after every action so resetting the game would just put you right where you left off, as it was in the GBA days. You wouldn't be able to restart the chapter or play another game file while the game had a mid-chapter Ironman save file.

I'd like to have sth. like the grades in the Tales of games.

If you have completed a game succesfully, you'll earn grades you can invest into modes for your next playthrough.

So better you play in your run, so more grades you'll get.

Grades could be:

• doubled / halved experience
  • improved / decreased growthrates
  • better base stats for your units
  • all class skills of each unit unlocked immediately
  • better weapon level for each unit when they join
  • better weapons and more healing items in the beginning

After being introduced to the idea of randomisers (and someone's romhack that made all characters into a class that uses weapons they're normally weak to), I think some sort of "Shuffle" mode or something would be cool, where characters are assigned different classes than normally (either randomly, or in a set pattern). Although, I suppose with the reclassing options available in the new games, something like that wouldn't have as big of an effect nowadays as it would have with older games.

Here's another idea. It might not be its own mode but if there were a toggle to make it so all enemies had the skills expected of their class and level (all enemy Generals have Wary Fighter, sorrynotsorry), that could make the game a bit more difficult but fair.

The game would save after every action so resetting the game would just put you right where you left off, as it was in the GBA days. You wouldn't be able to restart the chapter or play another game file while the game had a mid-chapter Ironman save file.

The limitation there is hardware. GBA had fast access to the part of the cartridge of EEPROM that saves your game. It was small but had fast access.

The 3ds cartridge or an on disc game is a different story.

I don't see any reason not to, I suppose.

What about lord deaths? That sounds really harsh.

I don't see any reason not to, I suppose.What about lord deaths? That sounds really harsh.

The issue here would be how the game would continue if they actually did die. I could see them retreating but I think it lessens any impact of a cutscene later that shows them in the fray and not injured in the slightest. It is a cool possibility but not sure how viable it would truly be.

Edited by Raguna

The issue here would be how the game would continue if they actually did die. I could see them retreating but I think it lessens any impact of a cutscene later that shows them in the fray and not injured in the slightest. It is a cool possibility but not sure how viable it would truly be.

Yeah, I think Ironmanning can only really work as a self-imposed challenge for that reason. A game over forcing you to restart the game completely is a bit too harsh a punishment, particularly since the games can take a while to complete.

I'd like to have sth. like the grades in the Tales of games.

If you have completed a game succesfully, you'll earn grades you can invest into modes for your next playthrough.

So better you play in your run, so more grades you'll get.

Grades could be:

• doubled / halved experience
  • improved / decreased growthrates
  • better base stats for your units
  • all class skills of each unit unlocked immediately
  • better weapon level for each unit when they join
  • better weapons and more healing items in the beginning

I would support this idea, or have all the skills you've unlocked on a character carry over. They'd probably want to add some increased difficulty options, though.

The limitation there is hardware. GBA had fast access to the part of the cartridge of EEPROM that saves your game. It was small but had fast access.

The 3ds cartridge or an on disc game is a different story.

I figured as much. Well, I'm sure the programmers could find a way to do it, if they put their minds to it. Like...when you start a chapter, your game file is switched to a temporary file that will be deleted if you reset or turn the system off.

I don't see any reason not to, I suppose.What about lord deaths? That sounds really harsh.

I mentioned the concept of revival items before. Perhaps if your lord died, you would automatically use a revive item, and if you had none left, it would be a game over.

I figured as much. Well, I'm sure the programmers could find a way to do it, if they put their minds to it. Like...when you start a chapter, your game file is switched to a temporary file that will be deleted if you reset or turn the system off.

It's the same problem.

When writing to a place other than RAM (which gets deleted on reset) takes way more than 3 seconds on average.

If the point is to save your every move, the only solution is to only make digital copies. Only that will be fast enough.

I was referring to games other than those with endgame characters. Off the top of my head, FE8, 9, 13 and 14 would be really tough.

Even with stat boosters, that's pretty frickin' tough. Maybe Awakening and Sacred Stones you could grind for Stat Boosters, but PoR would be literally impossible, and Fates would require giving every stat booster in the game to Ryoma in BR/Rev and Xander in CQ.

I have had the idea of having the death of any playable character causing a game over, much like the first few chapters of Radiant Dawn. It would also work with the playstyle of many of us here since a fair number of us reset after losing a character anyway.

I was referring to games other than those with endgame characters. Off the top of my head, FE8, 9, 13 and 14 would be really tough.

Even with stat boosters, that's pretty frickin' tough. Maybe Awakening and Sacred Stones you could grind for Stat Boosters, but PoR would be literally impossible, and Fates would require giving every stat booster in the game to Ryoma in BR/Rev and Xander in CQ.

Seth can kill the Demon King easily for 8's case at the very least, as well as generally the Sacred Weapons being op.

Seth can kill the Demon King easily for 8's case at the very least, as well as generally the Sacred Weapons being op.

With... base stats on Difficult? Well, maybe I believe that.

Actually I do believe that since I've already seen a damn 0 exp playthrough of the game. Totally forgot I did.