why are people so phobic of fanservice

it's just skin people, calm down

i'm legitimately asking what's so horrible about showing skin. it's not that big a deal

people seem to literally devour any fanservice that's dedicated to references to older games in a series, but skimpy clothes suddenly are bad

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it's just out of place. You're in a war, not a puff puff bar.

Fanservice is also my main problem with Jessica Albert, so it's not just limited to FE. You really shouldn't be wearing skimpy clothes like that to fight monsters logically.

The big annoyance to me is more the Avatar praising though.

I don't care if there's fanservice. I don't mind it. Though there is a difference between fanservice being done well or it just being plain bad. If someone wants to be uptight/whatever about it, I guess they have a right to. Everyone interprets things differently.

okay yes but this isn't limited to Fire Emblem lol

look at literally any video game and you'll see people screaming about fanservice

even something like persona 4 golden lol

I haven't played Persona 4 but I specifically listed a Non-FE example that I have a problem with (Jessica Albert from DQVIII, I don't mind the once-a-game puff-puff gags or the bunny outfits on the bar waitresses, but on Jessica, who fights monsters with the party daily, it's highly impractical).

I haven't played Persona 4 but I specifically listed a Non-FE example that I have a problem with (Jessica Albert from DQVIII, I don't mind the once-a-game puff-puff gags or the bunny outfits on the bar waitresses, but on Jessica, who fights monsters with the party daily, it's highly impractical).

puff-puff?

are you literally comparing a lack of clothes to being a stripper?

so lady gaga is a professional stripper then?

Edit: after looking up Jessica I can see that she's insanely tame

there are real women you can see at like the mall dressed like her

Edited by Enigmar

puff-puff?

are you literally comparing a lack of clothes to being a stripper?

so lady gaga is a professional stripper then?

That's not what I meant. The puff-puff gags in DQ don't actually involve any stripping and are more often than not done with slimes.

My point was it's all in the context.

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever for Camilla to wear panties on a wyvern or wear armor that leaves her chest exposed. In DQ, I don't the bunnies so much because they aren't fighting anything and such. That's what I meant.

Fanservice isn't bad per se. It depends on how it is handled. Some girls, in real life and in video games, have big boobs. And some people don't mind showing off cleavage. Likewise, there are guys that like being shirtless. Character designs such as Vaike and Charlotte (more so her Berserker design rather than her Fighter) show this off well. They aren't wearing armor, just clothes, and they also happen to have very poor defenses because, well, they aren't wearing much to protect them. The thing that bothers me is the girls not wearing pants. Why can I see Sophie's and Camilla's underwear when they are on their mount? I shouldn't be able that. I don't ever see people walk around in public in just their underwear. Also, why would you bother putting on armor to protect your upper body and just leave your lower body exposed?

People seem to literally devour any fanservice that's dedicated to references to older games in a series, but skimpy clothes suddenly are bad

This isn't entirely true. Take a game like Dark Souls 2, a game series driven by its lore, you can find Solaire's broken statue in the middle of a poison swamp. Drangleic is supposed to be in a different place than Lordran, so why is a statue from Lordran in the middle of a poisonous swamp in Drangleic?

That's not what I meant. The puff-puff gags in DQ don't actually involve any stripping and are more often than not done with slimes.

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever for Camilla to wear panties on a wyvern or wear armor that leaves her chest exposed. In DQ, I don't the bunnies so much because they aren't fighting anything and such. That's what I meant.

A time and a place, essentially?

You have to realize people have different standards and tolerance levels. Yeah it may seem like not a huge deal to you, but it can greatly effect someone else's gaming experience because it can be something that ruins the atmosphere of the game, it's not something they're comfortable, etc. Sometimes, you have to put yourself in the shoes their in because the world doesn't revolve around what one person or what one group thinks right?

Sure you can tell the person to suck it up or not play the game, but that's not really fair to them either since if they want to complain, they can. Video games are going to bring in different audiences who have varying opinions.

Also, I like fanservice.

I get cool cross-overs in Super Robot Wars :Kappa:

But seriously, some people just don't like it, doesn't mean there's a phobia towards it.

Edited by Soledai

It really feels like you are flamebaiting. Or trolling.

No, obviously not

she used the term, puff-puff, which, I don't actually even know what that means. it just seems to demonize strippers or something

and lady gaga is also the best example I can think of for this because of outfits like the seashell outfit

No, obviously not

she used the term, puff-puff, which, I don't actually even know what that means. it just seems to demonize strippers or something

and lady gaga is also the best example I can think of for this because of outfits like the seashell outfit

Puff-puff is basically a term for sexual contact with breasts. It's a bit of a running gag in DQ games, by the third it basically became another silly thing to subvert and parody. (To elaborate, DQIII's puff-puff gag involves that game's protagonist talking to some chick who offers the puff-puff, he later finds that he's being attended by her father with a pair of slimes).

Edit: after looking up Jessica I can see that she's insanely tame

there are real women you can see at like the mall dressed like her

She has far more revealing alternate outfits.

Namely the Dancer's outfit and the Bustiers.

I can safely say I do not see irl women wear something like the Divine Bustier to the mall. And I'm also a woman myself, so.

You have to realize people have different standards and tolerance levels. Yeah it may seem like not a huge deal to you, but it can greatly effect someone else's gaming experience because it can be something that ruins the atmosphere of the game, it's not something they're comfortable, etc. Sometimes, you have to put yourself in the shoes their in because the world doesn't revolve around what one person or what one group thinks right?

Sure you can tell the person to suck it up or not play the game, but that's not really fair to them either since if they want to complain, they can. Video games are going to bring in different audiences who have varying opinions.

this is the real response to this thread

one thing that is tough on americans (at least, I can't claim to know about everyone else) is culture difference between them and japan. We've been raised to be more strict about revealing clothing and sexualizing women (tbh it doesn't seem like we've been raised to care particularly much about men, not as far as I've seen) than it is in Japan. There are some individuals who just shrug and let it be and there are some who will be appalled or just make fun of it for being ridiculous.

There are bound to be different, conflicting perspectives among everybody though.

It really feels like you are flamebaiting. Or trolling.

it looks like a genuine response/concern of theirs, to me

I don't mind fanservice as long as it makes sense on the chracter itself, Charlotte would be good example for this.

But Camilla, on other hand, is more like a big overprotective sister, her armor's design was not needed at all for her character which ruined her (in my opinion).

Edited by Nym

To me it just kills the immersion. Especially when it is used in situations where doing so wouldn't make any sense. More often than not, breasts (or other alluring features) are exaggerated to the point where they aren't believable anymore without implementing a backstory of plastic surgery. I know it is just fiction, but I can't help but cringe when the same "accidental pervert" scenario is used for "the millionth time". Take the hotsprings in Fates for example, they serve literally no purpose aside from recruiting Izana. Why can't I have a normal conversation at the springs with an A+-support buddy? if there was a 5-15% chance of mistakenly running into the wrong bath I wouldn't mind, but every (first) time after a battle? Sorry guys, but I just don't have that much suspension of disbelief... It doesn't fit Corrin's intellect or personality either. In my personal opinion, fanservice in itself isn't the problem, but how it's used. A little bit of fanservice is fine as long as it is used subtly and with moderation. But I suppose there is a lot of personal preference involved when talking about this topic...

To be fair, Camilla's the only Wyvern Rider in the game with a design like that, and when you consider what kind of character she is (that there's always at least one character who comes off as rather... provocative [for lack of a better word] and as a result, dresses that way [to my knowledge. EX: Aversa]), that leans more toward her choice of outfit (but then again, being that she's not a real person and otherwise a created character, this is debatable, unless the character, herself states it.). Although it was that way in Awakening, it is not in Fates.

From what I see, it only seems out of place when its mutually exclusive; that a male design is more covered than a female. For that reason is why the Dark Mage design, along with Fighter works, cause that's the class standard (at least, it is now for dark mages). But when its only the female version of the design to be deliberately altered purely for the sake of showing more skin is where I believe the problem lies;the notion that females have to show more skin.

Going back to the FE example, generally, a knight should be covered from head to toe for the sake of preventing any weapon from piercing the person inside from any angle. The very fact that female knights and cavs go out with underwear just seems counter intuitive Unless the uniform just doesn't work with them (EX: chestplates), the outfit is made to be more comfortable and light (Ayane [DoA], Milla Maxwell [Tales of Xillia]), the outfit is made to show off feminine wiles as a distraction or it is done by choice (again, debatable), cultural values etc, the only thing (or maybe the first) people see it as is eye candy, which what's really not liked about it.

Not that I personally care what someone wears, but that's how I see the argument.

i don't mind fanservice myself

the other kind of fanservice is pretty bad too just my onion so w/e

the thing about fanservice is that it adds nothing to value to the story and serves more of a purpose as a <Sales Boost>, which might make fans feel like they're trying to milk the money of their wallet

people usually don't like being treated as just (customers who will literally buy anything if we put X in, aka the LCD)

and then there's the issue people have with Objectification (people might still do this? idk) that comes with fanservice. a character showing skin when it goes against their personality, when it looks extremely DUM to show skin (swimsuit armor!!!!), etc.