Emeraldrox's FE artstuff

Emeraldrox

Experimenting a bit more with the pencil brush and trying to figure out how to color with it. Eyes are really hard, because if I do my normal method they're way too prominent and look super out of place. Poor Corrin with a merc outfit was my target today because fuck drawing the noble armor lmao. The first image is my normal marker coloring, and I used the ink pen to sort out the eyes. The second is marker tool using the settings from my pencil brush, eyes are a mess of pencil brush and trying to make them not look like ass. 3 is coloring with the pencil tool like I did on Keaton and Shigure, but I couldn't get eyes to come out decent, so they stayed white. 4th is a bonus with all the goddamn color layers on because fuck everything.

Cu6vdjVWEAAgRyP.jpg

Cu6vdjRWIAEfzMn.jpg

Cu6vdjRW8AAKIJm.jpg

Cu6vrPKW8AUmaAf.jpg

Also if they look a bit weird, these were posted on twitter, which now compresses images to shit

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww, that's adorable!

Wait that's Corrin? I thought it was Laslow.

You can't tell me that doesn't look like Laslow.

Corrin in the Mercenary outfit :3

plus look at those pointy ears~

Aww, that's adorable!

Wait that's Corrin? I thought it was Laslow.

You can't tell me that doesn't look like Laslow.

Yeah, Merc!Corn because the nohr/hoshido noble outfit is literally hell on earth to draw.

Corrin in the Mercenary outfit :3

plus look at those pointy ears~

While I was drawing it, I thought he looked a lot like Link because of the ears lmao

CvKim-EXEAAiOSh.jpg

lastly for today, a quick doodle from twitter for someone on reddit who's cakeday is today and I know is a massive fan of Yarne, it took me literally 5 minutes and I also forgot what taguels wear and how their ears look

The Furret seems kinda misshapen. It doesn't convey the continuous long shape its offical art does. You'll notice in the OA it only tapers at the end of its tail. It doesn't feel like the tail and upper body are well connected here. The front legs also seem too far up its body in your image, and the hind leg is the wrong colour. I think you should inspect your references more closely and aim to capture the defining features of whatever you're drawing.

As for the human (I don't know the name) he's lacking many of the details from the reference even though hes wearing the same outfit. I get the sense you stripped it down a lot because you couldn't draw them (or at least not a short amount of time).

I want to give some more general advice that might help you improve on your work.

1) Take more time on your pieces. Right now you appear to be rushing to put something out each night, and I think the quality is suffering as a result. I mean you went from posting a wip to "full" picture in the space of under two hours. Of course I know that might reflect the actual time between them, but it's a worrying trend, and one that probably explains why your pictures lack depth. Instead I think you should aim to make something better than your usual standard, even if you have to take twice or even thrice as long. Don't be afraid to try and fix something if it doesn't look right rather than just posting it up as is.

2) Take some time to learn. As a follow up to my first point, you should really take some time to learn things that'll improve your work. When I last gave criticisim you replied by saying that you're bad at shading. You should take that as your signal to learn how to do it. Right now your works appear stagnant because you're not making any improvements to your style.

3) Try some construction. This is something I suspect you're not doing, which is why your pieces always seem inconsistent in shape despite being so similar to each other. Squashed faces and missaligned features are a running issue in your pieces, which is why I'm recommending this. By construction I mean laying some planning and guidelines before trying to pile on all the details. Ultimately I think this just goes back to point one; taking the time to plan and draft.

It's late here, so my apologies for not being to elborate further. If you have any questions or concerns I'd be happy to try and address them tomorrow.

The Furret seems kinda misshapen. It doesn't convey the continuous long shape its offical art does. You'll notice in the OA it only tapers at the end of its tail. It doesn't feel like the tail and upper body are well connected here. The front legs also seem too far up its body in your image, and the hind leg is the wrong colour. I think you should inspect your references more closely and aim to capture the defining features of whatever you're drawing.

As for the human (I don't know the name) he's lacking many of the details from the reference even though hes wearing the same outfit. I get the sense you stripped it down a lot because you couldn't draw them (or at least not a short amount of time).

I want to give some more general advice that might help you improve on your work.

1) Take more time on your pieces. Right now you appear to be rushing to put something out each night, and I think the quality is suffering as a result. I mean you went from posting a wip to "full" picture in the space of under two hours. Of course I know that might reflect the actual time between them, but it's a worrying trend, and one that probably explains why your pictures lack depth. Instead I think you should aim to make something better than your usual standard, even if you have to take twice or even thrice as long. Don't be afraid to try and fix something if it doesn't look right rather than just posting it up as is.

2) Take some time to learn. As a follow up to my first point, you should really take some time to learn things that'll improve your work. When I last gave criticisim you replied by saying that you're bad at shading. You should take that as your signal to learn how to do it. Right now your works appear stagnant because you're not making any improvements to your style.

3) Try some construction. This is something I suspect you're not doing, which is why your pieces always seem inconsistent in shape despite being so similar to each other. Squashed faces and missaligned features are a running issue in your pieces, which is why I'm recommending this. By construction I mean laying some planning and guidelines before trying to pile on all the details. Ultimately I think this just goes back to point one; taking the time to plan and draft.

It's late here, so my apologies for not being to elborate further. If you have any questions or concerns I'd be happy to try and address them tomorrow.

Yeah, the furret looks a bit off, and I know that. I didn't actually realize the back paws were a different color, so that is an error, albeit a small one. I also gave it a nose, which it doesn't have, because it looked really derpy and off without one

As for Kiragi, I wanted to actually give him a more casual look, like I try to do with most of my pokemon crossover pieces, so I stripped his outer armor, and just gave him his shirt and vest, removing the outer hay thing, his gloves, and the ribbons on his vest. I wanted to keep him looking casual without giving him a generic looking outfit, so that's more of a personal preference than it is inability to draw the bits. I like having characters look more casual in my art.

And I do do construction. I draw out everything beforehand with the ink pen, before adding any kind of features or defining lines.

As for the time thing, I'm not in any kind of rush, I just do them, and post them when I think they're finished.

Cvjf9L-WYAA1sTC.jpg

Finished a thing I started on the way to the funeral yesterday. I've got Rocky Horror on the brain, ft my dorky pajama pants

The worst thing about being left handed is all the goddamn smudging, half the time I have to smudge my physical stuff with a tissue or napkin just to make it look consistent, since its easier than erasing around the entire image

Edited by Emeraldrox

It's a shame you don't seem to have access to a scanner. I'd love to see that picture is more detail, because I think it's pretty interesting. It feels more ambitious than some of your other stuff, and it really caught my attention. The red lipstick makes a good touch in particular.

If I had to suggest one improvement, it would be to try and draw in smoother strokes rather than small, scratchy lines. If you find doing that troublesome, it might be a good idea to scale down the size of your drawing.

It's a shame you don't seem to have access to a scanner. I'd love to see that picture is more detail, because I think it's pretty interesting. It feels more ambitious than some of your other stuff, and it really caught my attention. The red lipstick makes a good touch in particular.

If I had to suggest one improvement, it would be to try and draw in smoother strokes rather than small, scratchy lines. If you find doing that troublesome, it might be a good idea to scale down the size of your drawing.

Nah. I used to have a really garbage one, but I don't even have that anymore. Just my trash phone. I can assure you it looks so much better in person. I like doing greyscale art physically, but I don't really have a desk or anything for properly drawing. I used to draw A LOT in high school because I could have free access to pencils/sketchbooks/an hour or two of free time a day. That Frank drawing was done on some cheap ass dollar store drawing paper, with a regular number 2 pencil, with the minor use of my prismacolors I was given by my old art teacher. I only use them on special occasions haha.

I struggle a lot with keeping my strokes smooth, if its not done in one swift stroke. When I do things physically its a bit easier, but digital, my shake shows up a lot more in my lines.

So I've been making a man, with blonde hair and a tan...

tumblr_ofoioxzvX61vxk4vpo1_r1_540.png

Early Xander birthday pic because I won't be around tomorrow to finish it so I kind of, rushed through it tonight. Got another funeral to go to tomorrow

Edited by Emeraldrox

Funerals are over for now, and I am going to go sleep in a corner for a month. 2 funerals back to back is so hard to do, if only because of prep and travel. Plus I had to rewrite a eulogy for someone I didn't even know because the widow is a foreigner with bad English skills. That's 3 funerals in one year. No more, please world, 2 of which were people who were super important to me.

Anyways. Enjoy the rest of Xander's birthday with his sinning.