Should Kana have a more original personality ?

WinterOkami

I consider her/him being the ideal daddy/mummy's girl/boy makes her a Morgan clone from Awakening.

Kana is like Morgan in general, child of the main character who admires him/her and consider him/her a role model.

Funny enough both can become dragons.

Anyways I think Kana should have been a more original character, not changing their hobbies and love for dragons but a different relation with their parents. Now I get Kana is a child and at this point you're closer to the opposite gender parent however other childish babyrealm residents are close to their parents yet have a different relationship.

Kana's personality is similar to the second parent as the Child Scramble Dlc shows it. Therefore I think have her be a lot more original could be a good idea. We could say she loves her father/mother but maybe depending on her/his mother or father they could make differences between them like how the other children have different relationships with their mothers {Like Hinoka and Siegbert since they share in common their training at a young age and maybe makes Siegbert's change of mind about relaxation could be more effective there}.

I mean I don't know, a more original Kana wouldn't have been disliked.

Do you agree and what would your perfect Kana look like ?

What would my perfect Kana be like?

Older.

Honestly, I don't like that through most of Fates's parent-child dialogue that the relationship between them forces the parent to always seem older between the two. Sure, that's a fine thing to do but if you compare Shiro and Siegbert to Ryoma and Xander for example and then go through all of the other kids, none actually seem older than their corresponding parents. That makes the Deeprealms seem less realistic to me. If you look at Laurent in Awakening, he points out that he's been in the past for at least 5 years, so why can't the time each child has spent in the Deeprealms have a difference and them seeming older than their parents?

Wouldn't it be interesting for the child to teach the parent various things? Awakening didn't have that luxury because of time travel, everything the kids knew was already learned from their parents, so sharing it with them is almost like reminding them instead of them learning. With the Deeprealms functioning as a way to age the characters separately, and since the characters within them are leading more educated lives, they could easily learn more than their parents and then share information they need.

I feel like I changed the topic a bit...

Allow me to reiterate.

I'd have preferred if Kana was older and more mature because the idea of Kana being smarter than the Avatar and sharing knowledge and wisdom with them would be a good pace changer by comparison to how Morgan and Awakening's Avatar were handled. If you decided to read the massive paragraph about my idea, I'd have liked more children that by association with the Deeprealms could have aged past their parents and been older and wiser. If anything though, Kana would be the ideal candidate to have made like that if they were to test the idea instead of just adding another cry-baby type child character.

Sorry for the absurd text amount but... I kinda felt inspired to write a bit...

Well, for one thing, they didn't mimic Morgan too well. Sure, they had the admiration thing down to a fault, but they didn't really do much of anything with the whole "role model" thing. Morgan sought to be a brilliant tactician like Robin, and constantly collected tons of books to study wars, history, and battle. Kana... gathers flowers and buys a ring for Corn. That's nice and all, but the only aspect they're modeling off of is general kindness, which many people have. It only shows how much Kana loves mommy/daddy, not how their adoration for their parents helps them grow.

Anyway, I think everyone should be their own character. It's important to recognize the difference between taking inspiration from something and just downright plagiarizing/copying it. Like, Oboro's gimmick was inspired by Noire, but Kana's just watered down Morgan. I don't really have an idea for what I'd rather have Kana be because I would much rather have something presented to me than make something myself for me to enjoy. Just not watered down Morgan.

I have those moments. In fact, I'm pretty sure a lot of things I write, most probably gloss over since it's tl;dr. And yours was an interesting perspective.

What would my perfect Kana be like?

Older.

Honestly, I don't like that through most of Fates's parent-child dialogue that the relationship between them forces the parent to always seem older between the two. Sure, that's a fine thing to do but if you compare Shiro and Siegbert to Ryoma and Xander for example and then go through all of the other kids, none actually seem older than their corresponding parents. That makes the Deeprealms seem less realistic to me. If you look at Laurent in Awakening, he points out that he's been in the past for at least 5 years, so why can't the time each child has spent in the Deeprealms have a difference and them seeming older than their parents?

Wouldn't it be interesting for the child to teach the parent various things? Awakening didn't have that luxury because of time travel, everything the kids knew was already learned from their parents, so sharing it with them is almost like reminding them instead of them learning. With the Deeprealms functioning as a way to age the characters separately, and since the characters within them are leading more educated lives, they could easily learn more than their parents and then share information they need.

I feel like I changed the topic a bit...

Allow me to reiterate.

I'd have preferred if Kana was older and more mature because the idea of Kana being smarter than the Avatar and sharing knowledge and wisdom with them would be a good pace changer by comparison to how Morgan and Awakening's Avatar were handled. If you decided to read the massive paragraph about my idea, I'd have liked more children that by association with the Deeprealms could have aged past their parents and been older and wiser. If anything though, Kana would be the ideal candidate to have made like that if they were to test the idea instead of just adding another cry-baby type child character.

I don't mind your long text, I actually read it first before seeing the end just so you know.

I agree with your point 100% maturity was definitely needed and the deeprealms were badly executed.

Edited by WinterOkami

Well, for one thing, they didn't mimic Morgan too well. Sure, they had the admiration thing down to a fault, but they didn't really do much of anything with the whole "role model" thing. Morgan sought to be a brilliant tactician like Robin, and constantly collected tons of books to study wars, history, and battle. Kana... gathers flowers and buys a ring for Corn. That's nice and all, but the only aspect they're modeling off of is general kindness, which many people have. It only shows how much Kana loves mommy/daddy, not how their adoration for their parents helps them grow.

Anyway, I think everyone should be their own character. It's important to recognize the difference between taking inspiration from something and just downright plagiarizing/copying it. Like, Oboro's gimmick was inspired by Noire, but Kana's just watered down Morgan. I don't really have an idea for what I'd rather have Kana be because I would much rather have something presented to me than make something myself for me to enjoy. Just not watered down Morgan.

Yeah kind of was a bit off with Kana, she/he doesn't necessarly want to be like Corrin they just love their dad/mom

It was cute at first, and then it got boring real fast. First off, Kana has the maturity level of maybe an 8 year old. She had no business on the battlefield. ( a personal complaint of mine, if we are going to have a second gen next time, they need to be apprentices/trainees, older than the age of 14 (maybe adopted), or non combatants. Hell, I would like to see one be older and still a noncombatant because they just don't want to fight or have a disability. Make it interesting)

I agree, personality felt way too much like Morgan, but worst. It took the "adorable" aspects of Morgan without adding the rest f the character, leaving a really simple barebones unit that I left in the dust he minute I got her.

Edited by Tolvir

Try giving them a personality first and we can work from there.

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter. Their personality pretty much consists entirely of loving the Avatar and being a little kid. That's it. I just got F!Kana's supports with Shigure and my god my head started hurting.

I'd actually like to see some conflict between the Avatar and their child.

Both Morgan and Kana follow the same route. They idolize the Avatar and want to be like them in every way. There's no tension or conflict, and I honestly enjoy aspects like that. Heck, it's part of the reason why I like Ryoma and Shiro's supports.

I'd actually like to see some conflict between the Avatar and their child.

Both Morgan and Kana follow the same route. They idolize the Avatar and want to be like them in every way. There's no tension or conflict, and I honestly enjoy aspects like that. Heck, it's part of the reason why I like Ryoma and Shiro's supports.

It adds more to the character. Shiro is more headstrong than Ryoma so it's great to have the two at a strong level of disagreement since it brings out more in both of them. However, it's a dynamic you can't see in either Avatar or their respective children because they automatically agree with each other if an idea changes. Combining that with what I said about an older and more mature child for the Avatar would really have greatly written characters, if only in the short term. It's definitely something I agree with and would certainly love to see.

I consider her/him being the ideal daddy/mummy's girl/boy makes her a Morgan clone from Awakening.

Kana is like Morgan in general, child of the main character who admires him/her and consider him/her a role model.

Funny enough both can become dragons.

Anyways I think Kana should have been a more original character, not changing their hobbies and love for dragons but a different relation with their parents. Now I get Kana is a child and at this point you're closer to the opposite gender parent however other childish babyrealm residents are close to their parents yet have a different relationship.

Kana's personality is similar to the second parent as the Child Scramble Dlc shows it. Therefore I think have her be a lot more original could be a good idea. We could say she loves her father/mother but maybe depending on her/his mother or father they could make differences between them like how the other children have different relationships with their mothers {Like Hinoka and Siegbert since they share in common their training at a young age and maybe makes Siegbert's change of mind about relaxation could be more effective there}.

I mean I don't know, a more original Kana wouldn't have been disliked.

Do you agree and what would your perfect Kana look like ?

I don't think Morgan and Kana are comparable except in the most general sense of really loving the avatar.

The driving force behind Morgan and Robin's relationship is an old one: the child was inspired by and now seeks to surpass the parent. You see the same sort of thing with Shiro and Ryoma. It goes beyond child and parent to apprentice and master, adding a second dynamic.

Kana and Corrin have a significantly more generic relationship: the child absolutely adores the parent, not by virtue of any special characteristics but simply because. Speaking from experience with my younger cousins: it's cute, but it's not interesting, which doesn't fly for telling a story.

I do agree that Kana could really have stood to be written differently based on the non-Corrin parent. Morgan had more than enough personality to function as an independent character, while Kana feels...lacking. The big issue would be supports with the other kids, because Hinoka!Kana and Peri!Kana, for example, aren't going to be much alike.

I have those moments. In fact, I'm pretty sure a lot of things I write, most probably gloss over since it's tl;dr. And yours was an interesting perspective.

It was cute at first, and then it got boring real fast. First off, Kana has the maturity level of maybe an 8 year old. She had no business on the battlefield. ( a personal complaint of mine, if we are going to have a second gen next time, they need to be apprentices/trainees, older than the age of 14 (maybe adopted), or non combatants. Hell, I would like to see one be older and still a noncombatant because they just don't want to fight or have a disability. Make it interesting)

I agree, personality felt way too much like Morgan, but worst. It took the "adorable" aspects of Morgan without adding the rest f the character, leaving a really simple barebones unit that I left in the dust he minute I got her.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. To elaborate with the incident that stands out to me, Morgan's non-Robin parental support takes his/her idolization of Robin and flips it on its head by having Morgan agonize over not remembering said parent. You see how much it hurts him/her, how far he/she is willing to go to try to fish up old memories before finally resolving to make new ones, which gives a much better sense of parental love than Kana's generic flower schtick.

Well, the Avatar is the worst parent in the game, first for the Deeprealms bullshit and then for inviting his 8-year old child to a fucking war, so I can't imagine any normal relationship that didn't just gloss over all that. But let's imagine Kana is older and the recruitment is via time travel instead of Babyrealms. I would have Kana and the Avatar's relationship be about their dragon heritage. They are the only two (or two of three) people in their world who can turn into dragons so their ability to confide in each other and discover things about it would be interesting. Maybe the child could be worried about the possibility of losing their mind to their bestial nature

At the very least we need more than a casual "Oh don't worry sweetie, you're just going through dragon puberty. That's completely normal...probably!"

Edited by NekoKnight

They are the only two (or two of three) people in their world who can turn into dragons so their ability to confide in each other and discover things about it would be interesting. Maybe the child could be worried about the possibility of losing their mind to their bestial nature

At the very least we need more than a casual "Oh don't worry sweetie, you're just going through dragon puberty. That's completely normal...probably!"

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and add interesting support topics! Kanna is cute, Felicia is a clumsy maid, Setsuna gets caught in traps, and that's all they'll ever talk about, and you're expected to like it, goddammit!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and add interesting support topics! Kanna is cute, Felicia is a clumsy maid, Setsuna gets caught in traps, and that's all they'll ever talk about, and you're expected to like it, goddammit!

What's funny is comparing that to literally ANY character from Awakening and having such a rich and wide variety of topics or conversations... outside of the Spotpass characters but even they had plenty more interesting things to say than: "Hey, look at the extent of my character!"

"Alright team, we have a diverse cast of characters, hailing from different nations, tribes and species. What should we do with them?"

"Have them act out repetitive gimmicks."

"Build up familial bonds but then renounce them at the last moment so they can fuck."

"Use them for world building."

*RAGE*

*Last guy gets thrown out the window*

What's funny is comparing that to literally ANY character from Awakening and having such a rich and wide variety of topics or conversations... outside of the Spotpass characters but even they had plenty more interesting things to say than: "Hey, look at the extent of my character!"

"Alright team, we have a diverse cast of characters, hailing from different nations, tribes and species. What should we do with them?"

"Have them act out repetitive gimmicks."

"Build up familial bonds but then renounce them at the last moment so they can fuck."

"Use them for world building."

*RAGE*

*Last guy gets thrown out the window*

I will never understand why they'd ignore Felicia's backstory to such an extent, focusing on her wanting to be less clumsy and better at cleaning rather than telling us about her tribe, her powers, how she feels about being forced into serving the protagonist (who also doesn't bring this up for whatever reason - guess they're fine with slavery; not that strange considering male Corrin's S support with Peri) and so on. As NekoKnight pointed out, it's almost just as baffling that we're supposed to like Kanna because she's cute, but that's effectively Elise and Midoriko's role already, so they just add more cuteness and ignore the fact that she can turn into a bloody dragon.

... I like it

With all seriousness though I agree with you. As much as I like Felicia, she is an extremely underdeveloped character which is disappointing because she has a lot of interesting things that she could've talked about but the writers deemed that the gimmick should be the focus of her supports. i honestly think that the writers were too lazy to try and make her a more developed character probably because they had too many supports to write.

Same thing with Kana. She has her time in the deeprealms she could've talked about, her loneliness that she could've got over and their dragon heritage.

... I like it

With all seriousness though I agree with you. As much as I like Felicia, she is an extremely underdeveloped character which is disappointing because she has a lot of interesting things that she could've talked about but the writers deemed that the gimmick should be the focus of her supports. i honestly think that the writers were too lazy to try and make her a more developed character probably because they had too many supports to write.

Same thing with Kana. She has her time in the deeprealms she could've talked about, her loneliness that she could've got over and their dragon heritage.

What I find funny with Felicia is how she actually tries learning how to do her dishes properly after marriage.

Now that we're done stating the flaws, I think it's best we focus our minds on how she could be done better.

In my honest opinion,Kana could admire Corrin but make it a lot more original because each royal son admires his father but in a different way:

Siegbert thinks Xander is a complete hero, flawless and is like his biggest fan which makes the whole gimmick funny. You could tell it is like Xander and Garon but Xander was just intimidated yet not as much of a fan of his father that his son is. Child Scramble adds more humor to that as he cannot put himself to call Xander "Papa" due to his great respect for him and so he calls him "Papather".

Forrest doesn't care much about Leo to be honest since he has been mean for all these years because he likes dressing like a female, however he is sort of like Asugi in a way. He won't act like his father, ruthless and strict but more from his own point of view being more kind, open-minded but serious and ruthless when necessary.

Shiro admires his father but it is sort of a rivalry you know which makes it interesting. His goal of surpassing his father is a good gimmick for a prince as Shiro isn't prince-like and has a casual relationship with the Hoshidan Lobster Boss {HLB for short}. He literally doesn't care about titles like the HLB, not knowing his place makes him be stronger I believe which is a great way to make a rivalry between them and have Ryoma ultimately considering him his rival.

Kiragi also admires his father where there is nothing to admire about him really. Their relationship is made simply for Takumi to become a better person despite being a walking talking hoshidan pineapple.

Kana should have different dialogues depending on your path. Rather than having Azura comfort Corrin it would be better for Kana to help him out stating that no matter what he does he will still be her hero and that she loves him. In Hoshido they could talk about the flowers and ring but some dialogues regarding their places as Nobles could work. Kana could even ask about who Corrin's nohrian siblings are, + Making Kana do all these chores could be justified by them wanting to be honored to become nobles and show they are worthy. They could also add in their love for Corrin so it doesn't look lack they lack affection for them.

Valla should be staring Corrin's parents and depending on who you marry the dialogue differs. Like said NekoKnight they could talk about their dragon heritage. If you were to marry Hinoka/Sakura then MAYBE CORRIN COULD ACTUALLY FIGURE OUT THAT HIS DAD IS ANANKOS{Sorry for the caps getting too passionate here}. Because for real though the pieces just line up even without Hidden Secrets it could have been figured out. Because Kana knows that her parents are not related, Corrin could be talking about Grandma Mikoto and then Kana on the A support could say at the end something like :

"Wait, now that I think of it, I can turn into a dragon because you can do it. Mamy couldn't which means she isn't a dragon like us, could it be Papi then ?"

At this moment you could have Corrin say that this may be true however if you A-Rank Kana then it would have BEEN SIMPLY GREAT TO HAVE HIM FIGURE IT OUT ON HIS OWN when Mikoto dies and says you are a Vallite Prince

"Since I am a Vallite Prince, then the only dragon who could be my father is.... No it can't be..." then he/she shuts up and give references to this in his battle with Anankos, like "I am sure that you were good before, for your sake Anankos I'll free you from yourself father!"

. Or at least say that in the support conversaton. Even better have Kana be relevant in the story, knowing he is her/his Papi and hesitates to kill him. However when you fight him maybe Anankos's older self could pop up after you beat him with Kana and tell him her/him to never say it to Corrin because it will make him/her sad or heartbroken then they hug in the weird dream dimension to appear again with Corrin giving the final blow.

At least that's how I feel about it.