Hurricane Matthew Support!

Anacybele

This is support and prayers for those affected by the hurricane! I've been affected too, we lost power for five hours and just got it back a little while ago.

And I have to say, this is the worst weather we've ever had since we've been in NC. I'm in Fayetteville, one of the areas hit the hardest in the state. Wilmington out east also got it really bad. There were tornadoes out there.

Over here, streets nearby got flooded, and we just had really bad floods in town last week as well, so the roads and town weren't really quite recovered from THAT yet. Our back yard got flooded pretty good too, especially the patio. The gazebo's cover is toast.

14590155_1183723491692267_79152154019834

14566280_10210302422093850_4760308257142

(note, these were taken before the flooding in the yard got to the worst point. But top pic is mine, bottom one is my mom's)

It's just a big ol' mess outside now. Anyone else been affected by it? I hope you're fairing alright and managed to get out of there in time if you needed to! Georgia and SC were hit the hardest of the hard, I believe. Charleston and Myrtle Beach got nailed, I know that.

I haven't been affected myself, as I live on the other side of the US, but I really hope everyone who is affected is safe.

Plus, anything that happens can be blamed on Takumi. Y'know, since he has the Fujin Yumi, the wind god's bow.

Edited by TrueEm

Prayers for all affected

On a lighter note, we should send a letter to the people who named this storm. The Hurricane is the nickname of the other Thief you get in Fire Emblem 7, Legault. These noobs named it after Matthew. That's the wrong thief. You guys really need to read up on your Fire Emblem.

Edited by Rezzy

lol, Rezzy, except the names are picked pretty far in advance. :P

Surprisingly, they've yet to use my name, even though it's pretty common. I don't think they've used yours either. At least on notable storms.

lol, Rezzy, except the names are picked pretty far in advance. :P

Surprisingly, they've yet to use my name, even though it's pretty common. I don't think they've used yours either. At least on notable storms.

I can't think of any Hurricane Rachels or Kellys. Although speaking of FE hurricanes, we had a Hurricane Ike a few years back. I remember someone made a gif or something that had my friend Ike's face on the Doppler map thing.

Oh yeah, I definitely know about Hurricane Ike from back in 08 (yes, it was that long ago). I like its name. XD But besides that, we also kept tabs on it because at first it was thought that it would hit here, but then it threw a curve ball and turned into the gulf instead. And yeah, people did make jokes about that one with the FE character. lol

It was actually the third most costly hurricane to hit the US so far, behind Andrew and Katrina.

Matthew might be up there now too given what it did to Florida all the way up to NC.

European here! I heard the death toll is pretty high in Haiti as well (over 850 iirc).

I can only hope it gets better for you folks on the other side of the Atlantic. Best Wishes!

A bunch of hurricane names have been retired, so if you want to know if you're on here, check the lists out!I'm on the other end of the US, so the best I can do is wish everyone who's in the path of Matthew the best of luck. Stay safe!

Yeah, I don't see my name anywhere on the list.

I didn't realize Ike was so long ago. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago.

These might be harsh and cold words but a happening like this is nothing special anymore because of the geographical location. That's the danger, if you live in the east and south of the US.

Of course Matthew was one of the stronger hurricans in the past years but more hurricans like him will happen in the future... and I'm afraid even stronger ones.

Unfortunately it's not possible to tell the 100% exact direction of the hurrican so it's always luckbased who will get hit.

Haiti was worst affected with ~900 deaths which is really sad

But at least it wasn't too bad in the US. FL was spared for the most past because he didn't go on land. In SC he turned out into a regular heavy storm. However some areas were under water and had no electricity.

My girlfriend lives in Florida... and the tropical clima and the hurricans in the autumn daunt me to move there.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

Well yeah one has to take into account that southeastern North America is one of the most tornado-filled places in the world (if not the most). A lot of people don't actually have a choice whether to live there or not though, moving ain't always easy. It's sad how "regular" these storms can get.

That doesn't mean this should just be shrugged off. Sure, hurricanes happen just about every year on the east coast, but it's not like they aren't still very dangerous here and can cause deaths, damaged houses, and other things. Also, it actually wasn't at all predicted that the storm would go as far north as it did. This is offering support to those still without power, those who got hurt, and those who lost their homes. :/

Don't be so insensitive.

Also, the central US is the most tornado prone part of this continent, not the southeastern US. There's a reason Kansas and Oklahoma are associated with them a lot.

Yeah, I don't see my name anywhere on the list.

I didn't realize Ike was so long ago. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago.

Yeah, my name's not there either. But I noticed both Ike and Elena are! Mother and son. lol Just need Mist and Greil/Gawain. XD

Edited by Anacybele

It's true that the central US has more tornados but the hurricans reach the maximum power when they've reached the coast.

On land they'll lose power.

Also I don't understand how my comment (if it was referred to me) was insensitive.

Of course I can see what damage Matthew did to you and I'm sorry for that... but the serious disaster happened it Haiti (which isn't mentioned in the topic post).

Weather disasters happen all over the world. Idk how many people die to overfloodings in India or in South America each year.

It's just it won't be reported as much as a hurrican will cross one of the most important countries on earth.

Unfortunately it's everyone's personal fate to live in an area where such a thing can happen.

I've never been hit by a hurricane (Unless the very outer edge of Sandy counts, but iirc it was reclassified out of Hurricane and into Super Storm when its edge hit Ohio. I wasn't paying the most attention), but I know how destructive they get. I hope the evacuations were successful.

All areas have something that they prepare better than others for, after all. When Sandy's edge hit Ohio, things were closing left and right from what I remember. But snowfall, which happens quite a bit from January-Early February, generally doesn't get that scale of reaction, while down south it might.

Oh yeah, down south, you'll definitely see a lot of places close for snow and ice. They're just not prepared for that, simply because they hardly ever need to worry about it.

Pretty much everywhere in the USA has its natural disasters. The East and Gulf have hurricanes, the Midwest has tornadoes, and California has earthquakes, so you can't really move somewhere where there will be nothing to worry about.

I've lived in the Midwest my whole life, and I even had a tornado touchdown in my yard when I was in the second grade. The Midwest of the USA has more tornadoes than the rest of the world combined, with cold Canadian air coming down to mix with warm Gulf air, with no transverse mountain range to stop them from mixing.

The eastern US is still the safest to me though, because tornadoes and earthquakes RARELY happen, and on the subject of our hurricanes, we at least can get warning way in advance of them and evacuate when necessary. That's not the case with tornadoes and earthquakes, who tend to come out of nowhere.

I live at the eastern edge of the midwest, we rarely see tornadoes in this area (they do happen on occasion but it's hardly a common enough occurrence that we get extensive training for it). Our most common weather problem is lake-effect snow and blizzards.

But yeah, what you're most prepared for depends on where you live.

I live at the eastern edge of the midwest, we rarely see tornadoes in this area (they do happen on occasion but it's hardly a common enough occurrence that we get extensive training for it). Our most common weather problem is lake-effect snow and blizzards.

But yeah, what you're most prepared for depends on where you live.

In Illinois and to a lesser extent Missouri, where I've lived, we get the blizzards, in addition to the tornadoes. As stated, the biggest thing about tornadoes is you have little warning as to when and where they'll hit. A decade ago, a tornado went through one of the main streets in my town, and closed down several businesses for weeks.

By the time Matthew reached my city it had weakened to a category 3. I go outside to the back porch just to see how the yard was holding up, it was fine by the way. I said out loud, "This breeze is nice though. Oh wait." I said, "So this is a hurricane..." Granted, this was the first time I've ever been in a hurricane. I did lose power at the last minute though, as in when the hurricane was leaving.

By the time Matthew reached my city it had weakened to a category 3. I go outside to the back porch just to see how the yard was holding up, it was fine by the way. I said out loud, "This breeze is nice though. Oh wait." I said, "So this is a hurricane..." Granted, this was the first time I've ever been in a hurricane. I did lose power at the last minute though, as in when the hurricane was leaving.

The hurricane knocked out the power where I live and several areas around where I live (I live near the Washington/Greenville area). The power is estimated to stay out till about Wednesday..... This isn't the worst hurricane I have experienced. Hurricane Irene was quite worse when it hit us 5 years ago.