Best Skills for a dedicated onmyoji?

Lord Raymond

Live to Serve is already enough IMO. There's not a whole lot of things that a dedicated healer needs, except lots of staves.

is there nothing that can reduce damage? what if i need to rush in to save someone?

Most skills are geared around offense, not defense. I guess Lucky 7 is an indirect way of doing so, but it's waste on a healer IMO. Defense/Resistance +2 are more direct, but probably not gonna make a huge difference. Honestly, HP/Def/Res Tonics and some food would do a better job. Don't be afraid of using Physic/Moon Festival, because that's what they're there for! Unless you leave your healer in the middle of a bunch of Master Ninjas or something, they'll probably survive.

Most skills are geared around offense, not defense. I guess Lucky 7 is an indirect way of doing so, but it's waste on a healer IMO. Defense/Resistance +2 are more direct, but probably not gonna make a huge difference. Honestly, HP/Def/Res Tonics and some food would do a better job. Don't be afraid of using Physic/Moon Festival, because that's what they're there for! Unless you leave your healer in the middle of a bunch of Master Ninjas or something, they'll probably survive.

alright, thank you for your help. i guess i could also build up supports with a tank i dont use and pair them up if necessary.

alright, thank you for your help. i guess i could also build up supports with a tank i dont use and pair them up if necessary.

That might be best since the main damage reduction skills either aren't really reliable (Aegis, Pavise) or require the user to initiate combat (Armored/Warding Blow).

If you're staffing, you're probably going to be avoiding combat in general assuming you play well and don't let enemies get near you. Miracle is nice and, if you start as a Cleric, you'll likely get it, though Mag+2 is also nice for getting the most out of the long-range staves (probably what you want to be using the most, tbh).

If you're planning to be near combat a lot, some good skills could be the passive buffs to surrounding teammates, such as Charm, Dragon Ward, Amaterasu, etc.

It's funny because Corrin is debatably the best dedicated staffbot, since Convoy means unlimited staff access lol. To that end, you probably want to stock up on as many of the powerful but low-use staves as possible, since you can just grab more any time... But I'm guessing you'd planned on that already? Or is this for a non-Corrin character?

Warp would be an amazing skill on a healer, so Witch is a great class to grab some skills in before ending if your Corrin is female (Witch's Brew would also be a useful skill for a healer); although male!Corrin still has access to Warp, albeit through paid DLC.

Actually, accuracy-boosting skills for offensive staves like Freeze, Entrap, etc. would probably be good as well. I don't know if Certain Blow and the like will work for staves (does anyone happen to know?), but if so, that'd certainly be good, assuming you want to provide non-healing support as well.

My suggested skillset would be:

- Miracle / Mag+2 (depending on base class ofc; can be replaced with another filler skill below if you want to go to the trouble)

- Demoiselle / Gentilhomme

- Live to Serve

- Warp

- Dragon Ward / Amaterasu / Charm / Witch's Brew / Solidarity (filler slot, basically)

I assume the class path is going to be Troubadour > Maid/Butler > skill grab classes > Onmyoji?

If you're hitting level 5 Maid/Butler before swapping to the skill-grab classes, then Charm (both genders), Dragon Ward (Corrin), Witch's Brew (female) and Solidarity (male) are all pretty easy to grab, though availability depends on the unit in question and your DLC access, ofc. Amaterasu is a lot of extra work and probably not worth it, tbh.

Although, I would actually suggest different classes for a dedicated staffbot, like Strategist or Falcoknight for their greater mobility. That'd let you ditch Warp for another filler skill or something...? I guess??

Edited by BANRYU

If you're staffing, you're probably going to be avoiding combat in general assuming you play well and don't let enemies get near you. Miracle is nice and, if you start as a Cleric, you'll likely get it, though Mag+2 is also nice for getting the most out of the long-range staves (probably what you want to be using the most, tbh).

If you're planning to be near combat a lot, some good skills could be the passive buffs to surrounding teammates, such as Charm, Dragon Ward, Amaterasu, etc.

It's funny because Corrin is debatably the best dedicated staffbot, since Convoy means unlimited staff access lol. To that end, you probably want to stock up on as many of the powerful but low-use staves as possible, since you can just grab more any time... But I'm guessing you'd planned on that already? Or is this for a non-Corrin character?

Warp would be an amazing skill on a healer, so Witch is a great class to grab some skills in before ending if your Corrin is female (Witch's Brew would also be a useful skill for a healer); although male!Corrin still has access to Warp, albeit through paid DLC.

Actually, accuracy-boosting skills for offensive staves like Freeze, Entrap, etc. would probably be good as well. I don't know if Certain Blow and the like will work for staves (does anyone happen to know?), but if so, that'd certainly be good, assuming you want to provide non-healing support as well.

- Miracle / Mag+2 (depending on base class ofc; can be replaced with another filler skill below if you want to go to the trouble)

- Live to Serve

- Warp

- Dragon Ward / Amaterasu / Charm / Witch's Brew / Solidarity (filler slot, basically)

I assume the class path is going to be Troubadour > Maid/Butler > skill grab classes > Onmyoji?

If you're hitting level 5 Maid/Butler before swapping to the skill-grab classes, then Charm (both genders), Dragon Ward (Corrin), Witch's Brew (female) and Solidarity (male) are all pretty easy to grab, though availability depends on the unit in question and your DLC access, ofc. Amaterasu is a lot of extra work and probably not worth it, tbh.

Although, I would actually suggest different classes for a dedicated staffbot, like Strategist or Falcoknight for their greater mobility. That'd let you ditch Warp for another filler skill or something...? I guess??

this is a huge help, thank you. I was using just Sakura, and I'm trying to avoid unnecessary grinding if possible. I definitely will consider turning her into a Falcon Knight, but I thought in Fates magic doesn't do anything for staffs? I thought rescue and other staves like that have a set distance. I can just use an OP Einhejar unit to get some Warp books through witch's trial. I already did some grinding and got her live to serve, and I'm thinking that Amaterasu would be a nice skill to have.

this is a huge help, thank you. I was using just Sakura, and I'm trying to avoid unnecessary grinding if possible. I definitely will consider turning her into a Falcon Knight, but I thought in Fates magic doesn't do anything for staffs? I thought rescue and other staves like that have a set distance. I can just use an OP Einhejar unit to get some Warp books through witch's trial. I already did some grinding and got her live to serve, and I'm thinking that Amaterasu would be a nice skill to have.

Well, you're partially right - staves like Physic and Wane Festal have a fixed range now.

- Live to Serve

- Warp

basically this skillset with possibly pavise in the filler slot, it decreases strength based damage, which healers tend to be weak to because of their low defense, so if your healer ever NEEDS to warp into an enemy's range, pavise can reduce the damage significantly. Obataining this skill probably requires finding a castle with said skill on your healer, or if you cant find such a castle, renewal from the priestess class can help make sure you wont need to heal your healer.

You're super welcome friendo!

Ah okay, knowing it's Sakura helps me narrow down my advice a little further... Sakura gets Falcoknight naturally as well, so that's a fine class for her to end in as well... Although, it may actually be best to end as an Onmyoji if you decide to give her Warp, since she will be able to get the most out of the low-efficacy, high-use staves like the Bloom Festal and whatnot. So the original plan is still very valid!

[spoiler=spoiler'd for length of word vomit]

Sooo... armed with this knowledge, lemme lay down your options here. In order to get Maid skills, Sakura will need to either A+ with Elise or, if you're playing Birthright instead of Revelations, marry Jakob. Here are the class path / skill set for each route I'd suggest (since I don't know which route this is for lol) :

Class: Onmyoji / Falcoknight / Strategist

Onmyoji Skill pool: Live to Serve, Warp, Inspiration, Demoiselle, Amaterasu, Pavise, Witch's Brew, Miracle

Falconight Skill pool: Live to Serve, Inspiration, Demoiselle, Amaterasu, Pavise, Camaraderie, Miracle

- marry Jakob (Birthright) or A+ Elise (Revelations) to give Sakura Maid access

- I'm listing more than 5 skills for each, so if you wind up getting all of these, feel free to pick your favorites (listed in order of how optimal I think they are)

- underlined skills are 'necessary', italicized skills are what you get from minimal skill-buying and reclassing

- Strategist can use either listed skill set, since it's kind of a compromise between Onmyoji's healing strength and FK's mobility; if you find yourself needing more mobility than Strategist offers, use FK set or Warp; otherwise, it might do the job just as well. Warping Onmyoji still seems like way to go tho IMO

- Inspiration + Demoiselle is a -4 damage reduction for your male units within 2 spaces, so that's pretty good, I recommend.

- buy Pavise at someone's My Castle if you want it as per Scry's suggestion (personally I just recommend keeping her out of enemy range at all costs so you can squeeze in more AoE buffs, but it's your call!)

- Amaterasu can be obtained naturally through Heart Seal and is really useful for her role, but I recommend buying it if you want it so she doesn't have to spend time in a non-healing class

- Witch's Brew CAN be useful for the Warp set, since you can trade tonics to people before the staff use

Suggested class path for Onmyoji: Cleric -> Troubadour / Priestess -> Maid -> Witch -> (Strategist Priestess ->) Onmyoji

Suggested class path for Falco: Cleric -> Troubadour / Priestess -> Maid -> (Strategist ->) Falcoknight

Suggested class path for Strategist: Cleric -> Troubadour / Priestess -> Maid -> (Witch ->) Strategist

TL;DR Onmyoji gets the most out of Warp, Strategist gets the best skills the most efficiently. Falco is somewhat undercut by Warp's superior mobility and Strategist getting its desired skills easier, IMO. Strategist and Falco will both work if you have limited Witch/Warp access and want to give Witch to someone else.

In the end, I honestly recommend going with whatever you can get the most easily after Live to Serve. Cool skills are all well and good, but there's something to be said for efficiently getting the basics of what you need.