Ferry and her overall usability FE4

Flee Fleet!

My memory's a bit hazy since it's been a while that I played FE4.

I'm not exactly sure of how I feel about Ferry and her usability ingame, that is, combat,movement e.t.c, you get the gist.

She is of course a pegasus knight and I'm fond of those type of units. But, honestly, I can't think of how useful Ferry is.

She is particularly helpful in saving villages, especially in ch3 and ch4, if she can take some damage from some nearby enemy.But, before promotion, she's...just got the highest movement amongst everyone else, and her combat is fairly average. She sometimes dodges and I never found her to do much damage(better damage then Alec at least). She does have enough HP to atleast survive..three attacks, I guess?

She's also helpful in protecting Briggid,Tiltyu and Claude in ch3, as she can just fly there.

So, I want to know, what are your thoughts? Is she a good useful unit, or just average? And how can she become much better before promotion?

For me, personally tho, being a pegasus knight, I prefer to use Ferry, as much as possible.

Ps sorry if this topic was kinda pointless.

ProTip: Give her the Hero Lance and the STR/DEF villages in Chapter 3 (she uses them better than anyone else). She can ORKO everything even with base stats at that point.

Her growths are hilariously bad and not getting any movement bonuses from roads is also bad, but she does have good move, flying utility is really helpful after she joins, and her bases (including weapon levels) are pretty great as well.

She functions pretty well with the Brave Lance, otherwise her offense is a little underwhelming. She's probably more useful than most of your mounted chumps, but being able to fly doesn't offer as many advantages as it does in other games.

I like using her to pick off Reptor's squad in chapter 5. It's a lot faster than the alternatives, given all that dessert. she is one of reletively few characters who consistently end gen 1 at level 30 for me. (i usualy give her the hero lance, because no one else really needs it as much, exept fin, and he leaves in chapter 3. she also passes it down to fee, and is the only person who does not leave in chapter 3 and can pass down lances)

Edited by sirmola

Promoted Erin for C4 with the Wind Sword and Mag Ring is pretty baller. She only needs to be like on her average to ORKO every Wind Mage on the map or something at level 20. Sniping the siege magesin C5 is nice too. Plus you can pass those Magic Swords and Magic Ring to Fee and she does pretty well with them too if Lewyn is her dad.

And yeah Brave Sword/Lance w/e will let her massacre Pirates for easy EXP in Chapter 3.

Edited by Irysa

Ok, thanks for all the information and ways to make Ferry more good, guys, so now for my next question:

Is Ferry as a promoted unit better than the other promoted units? As in, how will she compare to the other units, that are promoted, combat,movement wise e.t.c.?

I've always found her to be as useful as promoted Finn, since they both use lances, and she has higher movement as well.

She's one of the few units I still bother to move out of the castle in Ch4/Ch5 besides Lewyn, Sigurd, Sylvia and Raquesis. Other than a couple people to kill bandits before they burn down the whole place, I guess.

This is an FE4 Gen 1 LTC tier list I made a while ago in collaboration with a couple other people. As you can see Erin ranks pretty highly, though this is purely on the basis of saving turns. Every tier gap is to indicate a significant gap in utility, e.g. Sigurd is significantly better than Ethlin, who is slightly better than Sylvia, who is slightly better than Quan, etc. I could see Erin being at the bottom of High instead, maybe.

-Top-

Sigurd

-High-

Ethlin

Sylvia

Quan

Raquesis

Dew

-Mid-

Erin

Midir

Finn

Noish

Alec

Lex

Beowolf

Aideen

-Low-

Azel

Lewyn

Holyn

Ayra

Jamke

-Bottom-

Deirdre

Claude

Brigid

Ardan

Taillte

As people have said, she's pretty useful for a bunch of miscellaneous stuff like saving villagers, helping Claude, picking off those meteor guys in the desert, etc. It's a little questionable how much some of those things are entirely necessary, but she at the very least is doing *something* that's both useful in some way (even if a lot of it is just self-improvement) and largely unique to her, which puts her up on a lot of other characters. Between semi-exclusive access to the brave lance and being able to use various swords, plus the stat boosting villages and generally a lot of money from all the villages she can get to so much faster than everyone else, she's got the resources available to make up for her sometimes questionable stats.

Where's the idea coming from that access to the Brave Lance is something super special? Cuan and Fin can both use it before they leave and after that there's still Sigurd, Master Knight!Lachesis and the two promoted Social Knights that can use it. It's not like the Killer Bow or the Brave Axe that only a lucky few units can hav access to.

Whoever is getting the Brave Lance is going to wreck whatever they face, but Erin gets the most out of it because she sees the most improvement and gets the most out of Ch3's EXP.

Finn already 2HKOs anything that isn't armored or a boss with a Steel Lance and he has Pursuit, and has likely grown to the point where he can set up kills for Leif in Ch7, which is all he needs to do.

Quan 2HKOs everything with Silver and has an Adept% chance to OHKO, and there's no more point in training him. So Hero Lance Quan is a bit of an improvement if you want him to wreck everything on enemy phase, but generally you'd rather direct your EXP elsewhere.

Sigurd can use the Hero Sword (or alternatively, Erin can) or start building up kills on something like Light Sword or even the Silver Sword. He only needs Hero weapons to ORKO armors. He could even use the Armorslayer to do it if you do not care about building kills.

Raquesis is mostly busy using the Rescue Staff. She has access to like everything else, including bows and the Hero Axe - generally Lex kinda falls off after Ch3 - so what does she need Hero Lance for?

Social Knights suck. Unless Noish gets Pursuit Ring, in which case Noish has good enough proc rates and attacking power to not need Hero Lance.

Well when I played FE4 for the first time and recruited Fury, I noticed her average bases and her low level compared to other units. So I mae sure she visited the village in chapter 2 where you recruit her until she has enough to use the Paragon Ring for the next chapter where she will defeat a bunch of pirates and magic users with ease for some fast level ups. Fury does really well in the arena too, so she can get easier gold and exp, the only thing stopping her in the arean are enemies with brave weapons and high defenses.

I find the Brave Lance works best on Noish or Sigurd for Gen 1 after Chapter 3. It's still a good idea for Erin to hold onto it before the end of chapter 5 as her daughter loves it. I find Erin works best with magic swords and she's a really good flanker to get rid of pesky enemies before they become a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Imo she's hard to start with and it's slow going, but later on you'll want to have her to be able to reach enemies in mountain areas and the like that nobody else can reach. Some units are stationed so that no unit BUT her can attack them, and those units can use distance weapons that will be a huge pain in the ass (especially in chapter five and sometimes in four). Also in chapter four's case, you might need her to attack pegasus knights that retreated (ex. the captain units that run to get reinforcements if you've plucked off too many of their squad but they're still alive) to an area nobody else can reach.

I wouldn't call her average tbh. I would call her a priority if nothing else, both for your reasons stated and what I've mentioned. Unlike in gen 2, she's your ONLY flier, so if you need a flier and she's too weak you're pretty much screwed. Plus since her stats affect her children, you don't want Fee falling behind since she joins at like level two iirc? Sety will never fall behind, but... may as well abuse the stat power.

As far as the "give her the Hero Lance" claims go, I do that myself but only when Fin's about to leave. Don't focus your efforts on Fury over Fin unless you want blood and tears in chapter seven, and since you've played FE4 before I'm sure you at least have an idea of what your previous run was like. I personally let Fee use it until I get Fin back, then I give it back to him.

Ultimately I'd say Fury is going to be one of your most important units even if not one of your strongest. She fell behind for me when I first started with FE4 and I regretted it when I realized my only flier was too weak to do much of anything.

About giving her the hero/brave lance, I intend to let Fin have it, so he can still keep it in Gen 2. So, here's a question. What's the best weapon Fury can have that can be passed down to Fee, besides the brave/hero weapon.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

About giving her the hero/brave lance, I intend to let Fin have it, so he can still keep it in Gen 2.

i dont think this is a good idea since you'll be going ~3 chapters without it. you can always sell it to him after you get him