"Nintendo Switch", News and Discussion on Nintendo's New System - It's Launch Time!

Jave

My only gripe with the Switch is the price lmao

Since I live in Canada, the retail price for the Switch is another $100 for us because our Canadian dollar is poop.

$400 OTL..............

(Don't get me wrong, I have more than enough but that's gonna make a huge dent into my bank account aha.............)

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the Parental Control video, I found the part regarding restricting communication interesting since the featured game was Splatoon 2.

IIRC, the reason Nintendo stated as to explain why the first Splatoon lacked voice chat was that they wanted the game to be safe for younger players, but with this feature, it resolves that particular issue.

Makes me wonder if they'll implement voice communication in Splatoon 2, especially now that we have to pay for the online.

Wait, you have to pay to play any game online at all? That's really stupid, I thought the payments were just for downloading stuff.

Sony and Microsoft have been doing it for years, I always thought it was only a matter of time before Nintendo followed suit.

The problem is though that Playstation Plus and Xbox Live Gold not only lets you plays online, but you also get benefits like free videogames (current and last gen) or discount for games on their online stores. Meanwhile Nintendo gives you free acess to a NES or SNES game for one month. So unless they change it (or announce more benefits) and they improved their online, Nintendo's deal looks really lackluster in comparison to the competition.

So here's the damage after my pre-orders today, with prices in Canadian:

- the console (400)

- travel case (25)

- 6 games (BotW, FE, Mario, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Mario Kart) (64 each)

- charging grip (40)

- portable charger (40)

Total: $889, and I still need a pro controller (which is another 90).

PLEASE hold an E3 Sale Amazon like you always do so I can get those games cheaper.

Thankfully, my birthday is coming up but holy crap I was not expecting everything to be this much!

Sony and Microsoft have been doing it for years, I always thought it was only a matter of time before Nintendo followed suit.

The problem is though that Playstation Plus and Xbox Live Gold not only lets you plays online, but you also get benefits like free videogames (current and last gen) or discount for games on their online stores. Meanwhile Nintendo gives you free acess to a NES or SNES game for one month. So unless they change it (or announce more benefits) and they improved their online, Nintendo's deal looks really lackluster in comparison to the competition.

I'm currently thinking that the Switch's online is either going to become much more robust by the time you have to pay for it in the fall or that it'll be less than $50/$60 a year, precisely because as-is it doesn't compare to PSN or XBL.

So I guess thanks to people ranting that Nintendo needs to work on online services, they do just that and now its no longer free....not that I care about online gaming as I don't really use it but still...

What makes me wonder is how do you pay digital games? Do you need to register a new whole account by paying for that or can you link it with My Nintendo?

Even if there aren't any extra features that you would get for an online Nintendo subscription, as long as the exact price of such a subscription isn't known, you can't really compare it to Xbox live or PlayStation Plus and call it inferior. If the amount of features (or lack thereof) is reflected in the price, there isn't any reason to complain in my eyes. For all we know, we would have to play the same amount as for the use of the Pokémon Bank. (Very unlikely, but still)

Edited by Masterthunderblade

I don't understand why Nintendo is even bothering to let third parties borrow their IPs and do them in odd ways that Nintendo wouldn't even think of in the first place.

FE is getting all the more screwed up because of third parties messing it around. The ones who like TMS like it because its mostly a SMT game and SOLELY a SMT game.

Why have Fire Emblem Warriors? Nobody asked for it and its not like it will sell the same level as Hyrule Warriors and besides, we don't even know how the Switch will sell in the end so why risk on making a spin off at this point of time when they should just stick to releasing the main games already? I can understand the amount of stress IS went through to make Fates so I understand that they can't just make another one for Switch right now...but putting a spin off at this point of time when the Switch needs first party games more than third party games is ridiculous.

I don't understand why Nintendo is even bothering to let third parties borrow their IPs and do them in odd ways that Nintendo wouldn't even think of in the first place.

FE is getting all the more screwed up because of third parties messing it around. The ones who like TMS like it because its mostly a SMT game and SOLELY a SMT game.

Why have Fire Emblem Warriors? Nobody asked for it and its not like it will sell the same level as Hyrule Warriors and besides, we don't even know how the Switch will sell in the end so why risk on making a spin off at this point of time when they should just stick to releasing the main games already? I can understand the amount of stress IS went through to make Fates so I understand that they can't just make another one for Switch right now...but putting a spin off at this point of time when the Switch needs first party games more than third party games is ridiculous.

...What? I'm personally skeptical about it being Awakening Warriors and yet I know that a good portion of this forum wanted it.

Also, making FEW is Koei Tecmo's job, not IS's, so it won't impact FE15's development at all.

In addition, the Switch needs everything it can get, not just first party.

There was a Japanese poll that had FE as among the top choices for a Musou game as well.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Nintendo is trying to follow what PlayStation and Xbox did, but without the pre existing consumer base and loyalty to support it. PlayStation pulled it off because PlayStation Plus was already a pretty good service and had plenty of people already paying for it. So locking online play behind it didn't lose anyone, but brought more on to buy it.

Xbox Live was like that since the 360, so it has had years of being like that.

Nintendo is just doing it and thinking it is going to work. They have never had a paid online service before, their online service in the past hasn't been reliable (just look at Smash's constant lag and connection issues), and their selling points arent that good. Where PlayStation Plus gives 2 full games for download every month, that you get to keep, it also has constant exclusive sales, discounts, and exclusive rewards all the time. Xbox live is similar, even giving something PlayStation doesnt provide, which is backwards compatibility for 360 games.. Nintendo gives you two old games that some people probably already own, could be played on emulators, and you don't even get to keep them for over a month. Other than that, there is nothing else.

If Nintendo really is going to do this, they are really going to need to step up their game.

Edited by Tolvir

Why have Fire Emblem Warriors? Nobody asked for it

Dude. DUDE.

Are you serious? Last I checked, FE Warriors was one of the most wanted Warriors crossovers period. A lot of people on this forum alone wanted it too, myself included!

Dude. DUDE.

Are you serious? Last I checked, FE Warriors was one of the most wanted Warriors crossovers period. A lot of people on this forum alone wanted it too, myself included!

What people wanted is a fighting FE game where you play as FE units in a fighting games to something like Power Stone or Street Fighter not something like this.

And just for the chuckles, where did people ever mentioned that they wanted FE warriors? Because I checked and I can't find it anywhere.

What people wanted is a fighting FE game where you play as FE units in a fighting games to something like Power Stone or Street Fighter not something like this.

And just for the chuckles, where did people ever mentioned that they wanted FE warriors? Because I checked and I can't find it anywhere.

No, people here have specifically said that they want FE Warriors.

And some time ago, someone showed some Japanese poll results showing FE Warriors as the third most wanted Warriors crossover and the most wanted Warriors/Nintendo crossover. Let me see if I can find it...

Ah, here.

Edited by Anacybele

Well, for starters:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=58684

You can go look at the now locked "Warriors spin off speculation" thread in General gaming and FE was often named. And a lot in the FE Warriors hype thread are basically going "sweet I really wanted this to be a thing"

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Yeah, Warriors has always been a cross over game FE fans have wanted. Hell, I am not a fan of the Warrior games at all. I find them weird, dont have enough depth, and not big on the swing a sword and kill 50 people type of gameplay the game has going on (its like Diablo, but without the cool enemies, fun loot, and utter chaos. Nothing beats getting swarmed by 100+ zombies in Diablo III and having to fight for your life), but even I wanted to see a Fire Emblem version.

Edited by Tolvir

And some time ago, someone showed some Japanese poll results showing FE Warriors as the third most wanted Warriors crossover and the most wanted Warriors/Nintendo crossover. Let me see if I can find it...

Ah, here.

Well its a poll so what do you expect? People will get hype over something that they have absolutely no idea about. Remember how people were so hyped about the Wii U back then and now its a joke.

But even if people wanted it, I don't see how this fits into FE at all. FE is a game about tactics and decision making. What is so tactical about a game where you swing your blade to like what? 50 enemy units coming right at you? Where's the tactical strategy in that? Infact, where IS the strategy? Atleast TMS as much as I don't like to mention or look at it has SOME strategy involved but this one most likely won't.

And just how will Nintendo ever give those who want that waifu mechanic which is what mainly made FE so popular in the first place?

Posted (edited) · Hidden by eclipse, January 15, 2017 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, January 15, 2017 - No reason given

Ah, here.

Well its a poll so what do you expect? People will get hype over something that they have absolutely no idea about. Remember how people were so hyped about the Wii U back then and now its a joke.

But even if people wanted it, I don't see how this fits into FE at all. FE is a game about tactics and decision making. What is so tactical about a game where you swing your blade to like what? 50 enemy units coming right at you? Where's the tactical strategy in that? Infact, where IS the strategy? Atleast TMS as much as I don't like to mention or look at it has SOME strategy involved but this one most likely won't.

And just how will Nintendo ever give those who want that waifu mechanic which is what mainly made FE so popular in the first place?

EDIT: And just for the record, I know that most of you lot will still complain that its not like how you wanted it and that it won't even fit into it. The fact that comments were quite about it was just proof enough that they had no idea how a Warrior brand would fit into FE.

Who knows? Maybe that FE direct will explain more on it but I'm willing to place a bet that when you see how it plays, you'll just end up saying "meh" and just end up getting disappointed in the end. That's just what third parties in general do when making games using Nintendo IP.

Edited by Harvey

EDIT: And just for the record, I know that most of you lot will still complain that its not like how you wanted it and that it won't even fit into it. The fact that comments were quite about it was just proof enough that they had no idea how a Warrior brand would fit into FE.

Who knows? Maybe that FE direct will explain more on it but I'm willing to place a bet that when you see how it plays, you'll just end up saying "meh" and just end up getting disappointed in the end. That's just what third parties in general do when making games using Nintendo IP.

FE, as a franchise about Loads and Loads of characters beating up a force much larger than theirs, is actually a great fit for Warriors gameplay as far as I can tell. They have a pool to pick from with some diversity, and the usual scenario of the series works quite well.

This is a spinoff. Treat it as such, lol. Spinoffs aren't obligated to play like the series they're based on. Even with the only other Warriors-themed spinoffs I know something about, I can tell you that they play nothing like Zelda or Dragon Quest's main series. And people are completely cool with it.

By your "logic," Mario games should all be platformers and the RPGs, Kart racers, party games, etc. should not exist.

Edited by Glaceon Mage