Now that I've played fates (finally)...

Dinar87

...I have to say I really enjoyed it...at first. But oh GOD when I got to chapter 10 I hit a complete brick wall. Even after trying over 30 times and using walkthroughs I still couldn't beat it. Even worse was that I did everything the walkthroughs did but I just didn't get as lucky as them (enemy attacks hit me more and mine missed a lot). And considering I was using a shit ton of tonics and I don't like losing anyone or re classing anyone, this chapter was HELL. I had to change from hard to normal in order to even continue playing the game. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with chapter 10? I dread to think what the chapter is like on lunatic.

Anyways, surprisingly I really didn't care about things like the fan service when playing the game and I doubt I ever will. It's just such a small part of the game (so far) that I didn't really notice or care. The DLC for grinding sucks though and is far worse than exponential growth imo. Characters are likable enough and the graphics are pretty good (so is the music). I actually really enjoyed the story at first but again chapter bloody 10 frustrated me to the point where I stopped caring about the story at all. I haven't been able to be engaged in the story since.

I was having fun playing through conquest on hard classic but I'm scared to go back to it after chapter 10 especially considering that's apparently not even the worst part of conquest difficulty wise! Has this happened to any of you guys?

Edited by Dinar87

Yeah, I found chapter 10 to be quite a pain, but personally, it ain't the most irritating map Conquest has to offer.

Btw, I personally liked Boo Camp more than EXPonential Growth, because of no counter to screw sword users over, and actually lasting long enough to have a good chance to get exp.

Yeah, I found chapter 10 to be quite a pain, but personally, it ain't the most irritating map Conquest has to offer.

Btw, I personally liked Boo Camp more than EXPonential Growth, because of no counter to screw sword users over, and actually lasting long enough to have a good chance to get exp.

Oh god it gets worse than that? I have a feeling takumi becomes even more of a dick in conquest (more than that damn dragon vain in chapter 10) since I know he's SPOILER the final boss of conquest. Are the end chapters really that much more difficult?

Yeah, I have to admit I had little misconceptions about Fates too before buying it, but once I tried the game I loved it.

That being said, Chapter 10 isn't that difficult. Really, I succeeded on my second try and the first fail was just a stupid miscalculation mistake. It was still a tough run after Takumi used his DV (because I was rushing at him, seeing enemies poping behind my lines wasn't a good surprise) but I used all what I had and succeeded. It's very different from Tellius games, much less forgiving, so I'll give you these little tips. Use all the ballistas and Fire Orb to weaken the enemies so you can kill them more easily, don't forget to bring Effie, Nyx, Niles, (you should have captured an Archer in the previous chapter too). Pairing Arthur behind Effie is a smart move too (it would give her more Spd and Str so her Personal is always active), you can OS Ninjas easily with her and they'll tink at her. What I made was to send Silas and the generic Archer to the right side, so the Archer used the ballista to weaken the Archers and used DS so they could OHKO them after that, and the rest of the roster to the south, except Nyx at the fire orb, Niles was at the ballista (pay attention to the Ninjas though). Send Effie behind the left side of the wall (near the village, break it when you're ready), your Avatar with Dragonstone to tank and Jakob on the right side of the wall. Use Elise to support your units (-3/+1 damage taken/dealt to adjacent allies). Once you get them, send Selena and Beruka against the Onis on the left side (use the bridge if you want), they should be deadly wounded by Nyx, and Camilla (don't use her too much, she's a EXP sponge at that time, but is perfectly viable laeter) to kill the Pegs if you haven't any other choice. "Leave" your room once you can, visit the villages. Once Takumi activates his DV, use anything you can at your advantage (walls, paths, skills, Weapon Triangle, Pair-Ups to move faster and further, etc.). But don't wait passively, you cannot really take tons of hits during the EP in Conquest. Good luck.

The rest of the game is probably as difficult, except Chapter 24, but if you use everything at your advantage you should be fine.

EDIT: I hope it's not considered as advertising for the moderators, but if you don't mind, watch The Oddone's run on Youtube, I really learned a lot from it.

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

Oh god it gets worse than that? I have a feeling takumi becomes even more of a dick in conquest (more than that damn dragon vain in chapter 10) since I know he's SPOILER the final boss of conquest. Are the end chapters really that much more difficult?

I'm mostly warning about chapter 20, but there are a few other chapters that are a pain in the ass.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

You're only on the nice part of it. Chapter 10 is all about throwing Camilla everywhere and covering the sides with whatever you have: Niles and Odin/Nyx are useful. Give an Iron Axe to Camilla and GG if you're on normal.

Regarding if you like or not the game, it's up to you in the end ~

My thoughts on Conquest is that it's the hardest "fair" FE you can get. This may actually be a detriment to the game tho as most FEs are biased towards the player in terms of unit strengths. For example, the player is usually the only side with access to the good skills in the game to prevent the enemy from destroying the player with them. That simply isn't the case in Conquest, as enemies will often have skills their classes would not enable them to get because the player can easily do the same thing to diversify their skill sets. Barring the one dragon vein on 10, there are plenty of times you will be going back and forward with the dragon veins as both sides will try to keep the version of the vein beneficial to them active at all costs. One lategame map in particular is a fantastic example of this. This fairness makes Conquest normal equal Awakening hard no grind and RD Normal in terms of challenge, and the higher difficulties only serve to prove how evil IS can get when they want to be.

All of that said, Conquest is in my top three FEs, I can't give an exact position because they switch places all the damn time, in large part because of the difficulty. It's fucking brutal, but unlike FE5 or FE10 I never felt like cracking my DS in two while playing it, and that's damn commendable considering just how hard it gets.

There are worse parts ahead, but they can all be managed if you know the right strategy. Just don't give up.

As for chapter 10: Reclass Mozu to archer, she is a better investment in the long run than a random enemy unit (you trained her up a little, right?). Use her and Niles to take out the swarming Pegasus Knights. I would also recommend recuriting the boss of chapter 9. He is pretty good and will serve you well for quite a while.

Chapter 10 is definitely where Conquest starts to really show how challenging it can be, but it is definitely not the hardest. It took me a few times to get through the first time and every time I failed it was generally a really stupid mistake. My very best advice is to take it slow and not get overwhelmed by the reinforcements.

If you're still having trouble even on Normal, it's worth noting that Oboro and Hinata do not move on that difficulty. So you can avoid battling them by staying out of their range and only dealing with the other enemies. And even by doing that it's still entirely possible to visit all the houses because you're given two fliers in the chapter. (Camilla can actually take on Oboro by herself, for what it's worth.)

...I have to say I really enjoyed it...at first. But oh GOD when I got to chapter 10 I hit a complete brick wall. Even after trying over 30 times and using walkthroughs I still couldn't beat it. Even worse was that I did everything the walkthroughs did but I just didn't get as lucky as them (enemy attacks hit me more and mine missed a lot). And considering I was using a shit ton of tonics and I don't like losing anyone or re classing anyone, this chapter was HELL. I had to change from hard to normal in order to even continue playing the game. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with chapter 10? I dread to think what the chapter is like on lunatic.

Anyways, surprisingly I really didn't care about things like the fan service when playing the game and I doubt I ever will. It's just such a small part of the game (so far) that I didn't really notice or care. The DLC for grinding sucks though and is far worse than exponential growth imo. Characters are likable enough and the graphics are pretty good (so is the music). I actually really enjoyed the story at first but again chapter bloody 10 frustrated me to the point where I stopped caring about the story at all. I haven't been able to be engaged in the story since.

I was having fun playing through conquest on hard classic but I'm scared to go back to it after chapter 10 especially considering that's apparently not even the worst part of conquest difficulty wise! Has this happened to any of you guys?

I lost, I think five times on my first time. I kinda cheated because I made Nyx a Dark Falcon because someone told me "If Nyx gets 1 point in speed and the skill Speed+2 she can double Hinata and one-round kill him, given she doesn't miss".

I also got quite a bit of mag during the prologue despite my Corrin being +str so on a Felicia pair up at B rank I think, I could one hit kill the Onis with the Dragonstone so I rushed the center.

Afterwards I jut found small improvements that made my life easier:

I also had a level 6 Mozu turn into an Archer and man the turret in the center.

Then, when Camilla arrived, I paired her with Selena so she could double and kill Oboro as she got the dracoshield

I did mistakenly blew up a use of the Rescue staff getting the Dual Club. Thankfully I ended up not needing another use in Hard Mode.

The hard part was when Takumi dried the water, but then I mostly focused on surviving rather than routing and I managed to do well. The trick to this map is thinning the amount of enemies early on, going aggro early on, (now I break the wall near the house in the bottom center so Effie can kill the Spearmasters) then being conservative when the water dries up.

Lunatic isn't very different, just more enemies and the Pegasus have Pass, I think. In conquest the stats on enemies do not change. Skills do.

My strategy for Chapter 10 has historically just been to charge and kill Takumi before he can make my life hell with his Dragon Vein shenanigans, but I realize you may not always have strong enough units to pull that off.

And, yeah, the game really isn't quite as bad as some people make it out to be. I mean, you're definitely gonna find yourself disappointed if you play it for the story, but the gameplay's pretty good, and most of the characters are alright.

Also, I'm gonna second the recommendation that your first Conquest playthrough be on Normal mode. You could probably pull off Birthright Lunatic on your first run through that route, but even on Normal, Conquest doesn't mess around.

Edited by Topaz Light

Conquest first playthrough should always be on Normal. Even then it's harder than most FEs on Hard.

Conquest on Normal is pretty difficult on Classic compared to other FEs, IMHO.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I've played Conquest chapter 10 on normal mode four times now, and have found it to be a fair and fun challenge each time, but perhaps that's just me. Granted, a friend of mine made a diagram of what to do; I can PM it to you if you'd like.

I'm glad that you're able to look past the fanservice-y stuff and mediocre story. I actually think Conquest's first half has the best storytelling in Fates, but it turns to shit the second half, which is why I think it gets so much hate. But in the end, story doesn't matter much to me, either, as long as the gameplay is enjoyable. While some of the fanservice like the female Knight and Cavalier outfits (which is more like fan disservice in this case honestly) is cringe-worthy, I can look past it all and still really love this game to the point of putting 800+ hours into it.

Just a word of advice towards the endgame the last couple of chapters do not let up on the difficulty and each one in my experience is at the same level or greater than chapter 10 in terms of difficulty. (and chapter 24 just makes you feel awesome)

Edited by Mackc2

Conquest on Normal is pretty difficult on Classic compared to other FEs, IMHO.

Agreed, Conquest Normal Classic is fairly difficult and I honestly think only FE5, 6, Berwick Saga, Vestaria Saga, and FE10 are harder times when comparing their lowest difficulties to Conquest Normal Classic.

I haven't played it myself but I'm kinda skeptical that FE10 Easy would be as tough as Conquest Normal from what I've read about it.

I played Conquest on Hard first playthrough and don't regret it (for all that I've gotten lots of reports on Normal from friends) but yeesh it's not easy at all. However, the nice thing about Conquest is it doesn't really pull many mean surprises that you couldn't possibly know in advance, so it's more reasonable to jump straight into Hard (and maybe even Lunatic?) as long as you're in the mood for that level of challenge (and are a Fire Emblem veteran).

My thoughts on Conquest is that it's the hardest "fair" FE you can get.

I think this sums it up well; Conquest was challenging but it was also quite fair most of the time. Chapter 10's definitely the first difficulty spike in it (I'd put it or Chapter 23 as the hardest myself; YMMV) so if you've made it past there good job. I feel like Conquest was the right difficulty, in that I was keeping on my toes and dying a fair bit, but it felt ridiculously satisfying when I beat levels, particularly when I could see that it was by the skin of my teeth. Even more so now that I've played Birthright (which I'm about halfway through) which is a walk in the park comparatively.

I also think Conquest's story is better than Birthright's

It's funny because, after over 30 resets, I STILL haven't beaten chapter 10 on hard mode. Yet the moment I switched to normal mode I beat it on my first try! Who'd of thought normal mode would've been THIS forgiving!?

It's funny because, after over 30 resets, I STILL haven't beaten chapter 10 on hard mode. Yet the moment I switched to normal mode I beat it on my first try! Who'd of thought normal mode would've been THIS forgiving!?

It kind of needs to be.

While Conquest sets up the way of older FE's... Conquest Hard being the standard would frustrate newcomers even on Casual.

Well, you most likely learned a lot about strategies for the map from those 30 resets! At that point, getting an easier version of the map was something you could easily handle. It's honestly not an easy map on Normal, so congrats. :)

This is just my opinion, but lowering the difficulty to Normal is not the best choice. I know this is your first walkthrough so it may frustrating to play it in Hard mode, but this is precisely where you develop your strategies and learn the mechanics, so it's the perfect time to get good habits and assimilate Conquest's "mindset" (couldn't find a better word, it's kinda hard to explain, that's all the way to play that exploits mechanics, your units' niches, the map, etc). And lowering the difficulty just prevents you from getting better, and make you rest on your laurels (especially if you beat it on the first try). And to play on a difficulty just above your level is extremely rewarding, you're very proud once you beat the game (same for chapters you find hard or are known as difficult). I haven't played on Normal Mode, but it can't be harder than Birthright Lunatic which is a joke.

That being said, I'm kinda surprised that people found FE10 Normal difficult, aside from DB's chapters and some endgame chapters (like the one with the Dragon Laguzs' king, can't recall his name), the game is easy and forgiving af, you can do whatever you want, you shouldn't lose anyone, except the Herons or Mist if you didn't pay attention.

That being said, I'm kinda surprised that people found FE10 Normal difficult, aside from DB's chapters and some endgame chapters (like the one with the Dragon Laguzs' king, can't recall his name), the game is easy and forgiving af, you can do whatever you want, you shouldn't lose anyone, except the Herons or Mist if you didn't pay attention.

I dunno... I'd give it a bit more credit than that. Also, I found the majority of non-royal laguz nigh unusable.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I dunno... I'd give it a bit more credit than that. Also, I found the majority of non-royal laguz nigh unusable.

Perhaps, but in most chapters with the GM or the Crimean Royal Knights, you're facing completely under leveled enemies that are not a big threat for any of your units except the Herons and Mist, so you can just sit here and wait for the enemies to come and slaughter them with no great danger. That's especially true in Part 2 (non promoted enemies for the most part, I litteraly soloed the entire map before Part2-Endgame with Marcia) and Part 3's late chapters with the GM because you just reached Tier 3 so your units are gods, especially if you took time to build supports. In fact, every chapter with the GM is incredibly easy, even Crimea's Heart with Elincia running into Archers. I did not try to level the Laguz because I preferred humans (and most of them gained no exp).

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

This is just my opinion, but lowering the difficulty to Normal is not the best choice. I know this is your first walkthrough so it may frustrating to play it in Hard mode, but this is precisely where you develop your strategies and learn the mechanics, so it's the perfect time to get good habits and assimilate Conquest's "mindset" (couldn't find a better word, it's kinda hard to explain, that's all the way to play that exploits mechanics, your units' niches, the map, etc). And lowering the difficulty just prevents you from getting better, and make you rest on your laurels (especially if you beat it on the first try). And to play on a difficulty just above your level is extremely rewarding, you're very proud once you beat the game (same for chapters you find hard or are known as difficult). I haven't played on Normal Mode, but it can't be harder than Birthright Lunatic which is a joke.

Keep in mind that a break from it by letting them enjoy the rest of the game is their choice. Just because you don't recommend it doesn't mean it's a bad choice for them personally.

but it can't be harder than Birthright Lunatic which is a joke.

While I know you're trying to be encouraging... you're overestimating how your own plays type fits the OPs.

Edited by shadowofchaos