Fire Emblem Music discussion

Harvey

TWR was only heard in Marth's games, and Marth is the "main" representative of FE.

It was also in FE7 as well but yeah I guess you have a point.

A lot of people simply praise the hell out of the overall music in Fates....I however found it underwhelming despite the amount of variety the music is here. Its not something as memorable as even Awakening atleast to me.

The only songs that are worth for me to listen are thorn in the road(roar) and dark wastes but that's just it. It didn't have that epic feeling like the other games had.

It was also in FE7 as well but yeah I guess you have a point.

A lot of people simply praise the hell out of the overall music in Fates....I however found it underwhelming despite the amount of variety the music is here. Its not something as memorable as even Awakening atleast to me.

The only songs that are worth for me to listen are thorn in the road(roar) and dark wastes but that's just it. It didn't have that epic feeling like the other games had.

FE7 started development after Melee, it was likely included in it BECAUSE of Melee.

At the time Melee was made, it was only in Marth's games tmk.

I'm a bit paranoid about something......will FE music ever be as great as before if Yuka Tsujiyoko leaves Nintendo. I mean she isn't composing as much as she used to but its something that I'm a bit concerned of when noticing how a bit underwhelming Fates ost came out to be atleast imo.

Edited by Harvey

My favourite Normal Battle theme in the series, this song seriously needs a remake and I feel like the only one that has this as their favorite:

Most powerful FE track:

Might post more later if anything pops up

This particular track from FE4 gives me chills every time I listen to it. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jF_JVm8RMfQ

And here's my favourite map theme from Fates. It's one that I personally never get tired of listening to!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n9HCPai23P0

But yeah. I also love a lot of the music that everyone else here has posted here as well. Don't really know which game's soundtrack I love the most though. It's pretty hard to choose for me haha.

Most of my favorite tracks spawn from Conquest, despite my start in Path of Radiance. Still, I have a couple from the previous games.

[spoiler=PoR - Life Returns]

[spoiler=NMotE - Tearing Shadows]

And, this one is a guilty pleasure . . .

[spoiler=Open At Your Own Risk I Hope This Isn't Inappropriate]

But, yeah, I love the Smash version of Together We Ride. Those slap drums make me feel all warm and tingly on the inside.

FE4: https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=9b0PoRPGIkg

FE6: within the magnificent nature

FE8: preparations theme, rise above and determination

FE10: Echoes of daybreak, dawn brigade battle theme, black knight, on glorys wings, the devoted. Most of the enemy battle themes too for getting me pumped.

FE11: Preparations, footsteps of fate

FE12: Young light, insurrection, hardin, one who changes fate

FE13: destiny ablaze, divine decree

FE14: thorn in you and most map ones are good too so ill save the trouble of listing them all.

My favourite Normal Battle theme in the series, this song seriously needs a remake and I feel like the only one that has this as their favorite:

How do you find this one?

It sounds as great as the original one if you ask me.

I'll just have 2 spoilers- discussing my thoughts on each title and a heap of tracks from the game, and then picking a favourite. Fair warning, I am very opinionated and ramble on. The favourite tracks spoiler will have none of that though.

Spoiler

FE1: I'd toss it between Gotoh's theme (Really, because it's sort of alien) and the last map. Just, every track unique to the last map. It's great in a game with a soundtrack pretty much outdone since with the march of technology. Though I've only played every version after this one. :P

FE2: Not played in full, so the music for Alm's maps is my pick here.

After finishing it, I will definitely say Land of Shadows is the best track in this game. This game pulls its weight to be honest, it's pretty good on world map themes (Chpt. 1, Chpt. 2, Chpt. 3, Chpt. 4, Chpt. 5), With Mila's Divine Protection (aka everyone's first exposure to Gaiden), Encounter, the final map theme (despite playing in other places. :P). It's very overrepetitive, but still it, like FE8 does really well at its best.

(Also, Echoes sounds amazing so far)

FE3: You know what? The Akania overture, which plays in the menu, is the best track. And this is because it just adds to the game before you even open a file, letting you know you're about to enter a tale of ancient prophecies, heroes and malicious beings. No other menu track does this. I'll pick it over Holy War, Emperor Hardin, the recruitment theme, every track in this game imo (At least, with the SNES instrumentation). And I am disappointed that it's not in either remake for the DS. Unpopular opinion for today done.

FE4: Doors of Destiny is a track I'm trying to put to lyrics, so yeah that's a big favourite of mine. Pretty much all of the music for Chapter 4 is great. The G1 medley for after the BBQ, End of Despair... Really, I just like this soundtrack in general, and I'd rather not put something like 90% as links here.

FE5: This might be a soundtrack with a lot of drums (and not brought up much), but I still really like most of the player themes (though Defeat is Near sends chills just because someone died). The recruitment theme is the best in the series imo, combining the best of Together We Ride and Comrades (A track which didn't exist at the time, I know). Adversity, the Leaf map theme, Advance A, Base and Scout for Enemies are all good map themes.

FE6: I am not the biggest fan of the soundtrack (And seemingly alone in that), but even I like tracks from it: The Ilia/Sacae theme (though it really only fits Ilia imo), Beneath a New Light, Path of the Divine Generals, Zephiel's Battle theme, Dark Priestess, Murdoch's theme. Thing is, the tracks that are in 7 (even if they're not in the game itself) are better there and the tracks it takes from other games are also better in their titles (the recruitment theme, for example, is better in FE4).

FE7: I'd always have bias for my first title in the series. Tracks like Companions, A Knight's Oath, this version of Together We Ride (And yes, I do admit liking the remix with Ms. New Booty (Yes, that's the song's name)), Eight Generals, Rise to the Challenge, Dragon's Gate for the last chapter (Oh my YES), Anguish, Campaign of Fire. Also, all the tracks from 6 (like When the Rush Comes or Distant Utopia) are better here, and just sound better. Instrumentation mattered (that and first of the two played, but I do think I'm right on this).

FE8: I'll have to admit that the soundtrack's not strong here overall. But its best tracks are fantastic. Powerful Foe, Ties of Friendship, Truth, Despair and Hope, Land of Promise, Prince's Despair, Return of the Demon King, Comrades... great tracks, but not an exceptional soundtrack.

FE9/10: Not played in any form.

FE11: Sure, the DS soundtracks aren't amazing, but it's also got some good tracks on here. Come Join us, Tiki's track (which is really alien. Like, episode of X-Files alien), A Hero's Destiny and After the Battle are all good in their own right, but it really doesn't help Shadow Dragon's reputation as drab.

FE12: This is certainly more like it though. Holy War (I do like it over FE3's version. Sorry), Liberation, Expedition, Endless Battle, Forbidden Sanctuary are great. And that's the player phase battle tracks! Murderous Puppets (And Tearing Shadows), Reign of Despair, Puppet's Don't Cry and Moment of Serenity are also great examples. Bit of a shame it took some of the heat of both being after Shadow Dragon and for the changes made (and there are good complaints. Not about the soundtrack though.)

FE13: Jeez, Awakening might be my favourite soundtrack overall. I mean, it's got Id (Purpose), Don't Speak Her Name, Conquest, I've Never Seen One Fall So Gracefully, ......, You May Call Me Marth are all fantastic for the series as a whole. And that's a list of favourites. I actually really like the world map theme, the preparations theme, as well as several enemy phase tracks (the boss tracks in particular), which is unusual for me when it comes to FE soundtracks. Shame not all of them have short names, or I might link most of it.

FE14: I'll wait until I've played Conquest + Revelations, but I do like the full Lost in Thoughts All Alone (now, if only there were more songs in the story!)

Spoiler
Edited by Dayni
Gaiden

How do you find this one?

It sounds as great as the original one if you ask me.

It's not a bad remake, but I find it a bit underwhelming to the original. The original piece in my opinion had more emotion and a great sense of euphoria. Granted, this is a song that plays in the arena, so there was really not need to make this version epic for battling unnamed soldiers. I will say it's my second favorite arena theme though, first being FE8's.

It's not a bad remake, but I find it a bit underwhelming to the original. The original piece in my opinion had more emotion and a great sense of euphoria. Granted, this is a song that plays in the arena, so there was really not need to make this version epic for battling unnamed soldiers. I will say it's my second favorite arena theme though, first being FE8's.

The FE6 Arena has that "here we go again" feel to it. I'd say it's a good tune, but you're right that it's not as powerful as the original.

Oh right! How could I have forgotten this one, Bloom Palace. This piece is the epitome of tranquility and peace, but the thing I enjoy most is the part where you begin to figure out what Carnage use, what skills use, how to organize them, in other words, the strategy part! I love it! And that music in the background is totally inspiring :)

[spoiler=Bloom Palace]

https://youtube.com/watch?list=PLr5WFHzH3jwEXZvr1lfqjQrzkdfNpgXbE&v=VudyWK-tL5o

This isn't really about my favorite FE music (although I do like it), but I noticed that "Dragon's Gate II" from FE7 sounds pretty similar to "Path of the Divine Generals" from FE6, so I'm not surprised that those who like the one also like the other.

I also noticed that if you play "Dragon's Gate II" at 1.25 speed, it seems to be the exact same tempo as "Path of the Divine Generals" at normal speed.

This isn't really about my favorite FE music (although I do like it), but I noticed that "Dragon's Gate II" from FE7 sounds pretty similar to "Path of the Divine Generals" from FE6, so I'm not surprised that those who like the one also like the other.

I also noticed that if you play "Dragon's Gate II" at 1.25 speed, it seems to be the exact same tempo as "Path of the Divine Generals" at normal speed.

I did that and you're kinda right that the tempo is almost the same thing. But I don't know if they sound similar to each other and all. Still great songs regardless!

EDIT: so far sound effects haven't been mentioned. I kinda like the sound effects for the GBA games such as the critical hit sound effect as it gives that satisfying sound to rip off the enemy.

Edited by Harvey

• 1 year later...