Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 4

Shin

Flower Vision

Elvira glared up at the stairs, almost as if she'd seen the presence of her husband. Thinking little of it, the fact her daughter had snagged a foreign Prince was a big enough happening to make her forget her husband's schemes for now. "Then he's welcome whenever he is able to visit." she replied, turning around and heading towards the living room calmly. "Your father has a lot of explaining to do, but I'm sure he'd say that it was better I found out from you rather than him."

Evening 16th April 812

The evening had come around, the sky darkening as the sun began to set. Tytilia's busy market had settled down, but its nightlife was just beginning. People had taken to the bars and taverns, enjoying themselves after a long day. The meeting with the Queen had gone smoothly and Emily had returned to the realm of the living, it was perhaps an eventful day. However, there were still many problems afoot, such as the war brewing on the continent, and the state of their beloved Wyke. With their plans still to be decided, and no formal declarations of war from Raewald, only time could tell.

The queen's invitation still stood, the guards appeared to have been instructed to direct either of the royals to one of her studies if they so wished to speak to her. The guards seemed awfully rigid though, making sure to maintain as formal a behaviour as possible. They either had incredibly strict orders or something else was afoot.

Daydream Believer

Emily appeared much the same over the following hours, it was hard to tell her apart from the unique individual she'd been before her death - other than her lack of memory of Serge. The Hearthfire Crew had stayed with her, anxious in case something were to happen. However, Sebastian seemed intent on making sure they had time for themselves. "I shall keep an eye on her, she's unlikely to be able to cause any trouble before I can stop her." Sebastian informed, playing with a knife idly. "It would be best for your morale to visit the city, one night of recreation can be afforded."

Alain, Serge, Freya and Claire are free to post!

Happy Family

However, the situation in the Montana household had grown calmer, the promise of a visit from a Prince and the return of their daughter had produced a family atmosphere that had been lacking for years. Elvira in particular was in a good mood. Anthony had sat himself in the lounge, glad in his own way his wife and daughter had managed to make something resembling peace. "I thought it would be best to allow you and your mother to speak together, without my interference." Anthony explained, showing no regret in his actions. "I needed to see if you were the same girl who got into trouble, or if you'd learned to solve your own problems... it's about half and half currently. I'm sure you have better things to do than stay at home, go enjoy yourself, just be careful."

Sidney is free to post!

All other players are free to post!

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cass had brought Adele with her as the meeting ended, getting lead through the castle towards the queen's study, as she had asked to speak with her in private. What private was in Raewald castle remained to be seen, but Cass hoped it would just be her, Adele, and the woman in charge. She went to knock, but stopped a moment, lowering her hand and turning to Adele with another pause. Her mouth opened, the words waited, but finally decided they were safe to leave.

"Are you sure, about doing this with me? I... I'm ready for it, and whatever comes from it, but... Owen had stopped me, and you seemed uneasy. So... If I must, I can wait. It will be difficult, but I can do my best. But, I... I love you. I'm prepared. This will not be easy, even if the queen agrees. Are you ready, Adele?" With a hesitation far unlike Cass, she slowly took hold of Adele's hand, staring at her in anticipation.

It was the moment of truth, it would seem. The meeting had ended, the Queen had invited them to join her in a private study, and here they were, standing at the door, Cassandra about to knock... and then she stopped. It was wholly unlike Cass, but Adele couldn't help but smile slightly at the Princess' hesitation, giving the hand she had taken an assuring squeeze. Leaning in to give Cassandra a quick peck on the lips, before pulling back only slightly, resting her forehead against Cass', looking the Princess squarely in the eyes.

"Most would call it proper to ask that before setting up the meeting, you know. I'm sure, Cass... not quite as confident to say that I'm ready... it would have been nice to know a bit more of the Queen's disposition before the die was cast, but more than anything now, we need to show her our resolve. If we back away from this, what will that say of us, after we've just promised to aid her in war? I already froze and bit my tongue when her advisor spoke of my Father... more than ever, Wyke needs of us to be strong. I won't show her a coward." Adele replied, squeezing Cassandra's hand more tightly. Not just Wyke... she needed to be strong for Cass too, and for Owen. Themselves, not just their country.

In public... What if one of the guards... Adele, goodness. Cass couldn't help her smile after Adele's moment of shameless affection; her words helping to assuage her worries further. Cassandra nodded, turning to the door with Adele's hand still in her own. We won't show her cowards... We can't. With no pause in her motion this time, Cass knocked upon the study's door, hoping the Queen wasn't engrossed in some tome.

"Queen Ethel... It's Cassandra. Adele is here with me. We've come for the talk I requested... If you aren't busy, at the moment." She must've been in her study for some reason, Cass couldn't imagine she'd been sat about twiddling her thumbs over nothing. Or perhaps she's just that weird. The queen had seemed odd during the meeting, though that may have been one of the quirks of Raewaldian royalty.

Half and half... I suppose he's not wrong. "Wow, thrown out already. I see," Sidney responded jokingly. "Well, if you say so. Though I certainly hope you won't mind if I use the back exit, at least until everything's settled down. I'll be back in time to sleep!" With a smile, Sidney made her way through the back garden to reach the dim evening streets of Tytila. Adjusting her headband a bit, she darted through the crowds expertly as she considered her options. I wonder where I can go that would be both interesting but not dangerous for me... surely the market is out of the question, but maybe I could do some window shopping. Or maybe there's some music playing at a hall, don't they usually around this time?

Sidney prowls the city in search of SONG

Claire was a little surprised by Serge's request, but promised to keep an eye out for anyone that looked promising. After learning of what happened in the rest of the conversation with Sebastian, she (unsurprisingly to many) spent several hours with her nose in the illusion book. It made a little more sense to her (at least, she felt like it) but there was no significant progress made.

"W-wha?" Claire looked up hurriedly as Sebastian spoke up, having been completely focused on the task of hand. Maybe a break would be good for me... Closing the cover with a sigh, the mage rose to her feet and went to deposit her purchases in her room. She had no use for them right now, anyway, as she made her way towards the Mage's Guild. Hopefully a she'd come across a familiar face.

"Right..." Serge began walking out of the room, then looked back, and motioned for Hans, Lars, and Larissa to follow him out into the hallway. He waited for them to all get into one spot. there were things he needed to discuss.

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...Money is gonna be a bit tight. With the whole 'Deira invasion' going on... I'll say it flat out; unless Adele finds a gold mine or something, we're not getting paid from her for a long time." He let that sink in for a moment, expecting the worst of reactions. Then, he took out a small pouch, and shook it about, indicating that there was gold inside of it. "As it stands, I don't have a whole lot of money on me, myself. A thousand. That's it. I could split it between us and Emily, but, if me maths are correct, that means everyone gets...200. And I don't think that's enough for all I've put you guys through." He lowered the pouch to his side. "So, like the knucklehead that I am...I'm gonna bet it. At the Colosseum. And see if I can't get this pouch fuller." Already this was a massive gamble. Because if he lost, then they would have NO pay, rather than some. This was gonna be yet another tough decision.

As the afternoon dragged on, Alain found himself with little else to do. Monitoring Emily had been less exciting than he'd anticipated--and it seemed that he wasn't going to be called by the Queen for his report any time soon. If she wasn't interested, that was her own prerogative. He wasn't going to waste any more time dallying around the castle aimlessly. Lucky for him, he'd had the foresight to set up something for the evening. 

He discarded his robes in his chambers, and changed into something more suited for an evening outing. His robes were ornate enough for most occasions, but he was looking for a bit of a change of pace. A look in the mirror was all he needed before setting off towards the coliseum, anticipating the performance to come. 

As the sun escaped far past the walls that keenly guarded Tytila, Owen had retreated to a corner of the castle, pondering nervously as he stared a painting on the wall. It was a painting of the late King Edwin, a simple portrayal of his stoic self, sat down in a regal chair and looking towards the painter. For some reason, Owen felt this gaze calmed him down. The man seemed disgruntled at something --or perhaps that was just how the painter made him out to be--, and that preoccupied stare made Owen feel like he could share the feeling of worry with somebody else. Well, a painting of somebody, but it still worked.

Owen struggled to consider a time to visit the Queen, and in the end he settled on not going for it yet, with his sister beating him to the punch again. Something she is truly better than me, being decisive... A big shame for a prince with so many expectations on his shoulders. He decided he wasn't going to interfere now, that his sister had already gone to meet Ethel, but what was he to do? I can't stay around and burn my heart hoping for the best and fearing the worst, can I, King Edwin? He stared at the portrait vacantly, hoping for some guidance.

The king continued to look down at the prince with the same distressed frown, ever stuck in that position.

...That must be right, I shouldn't stay here, walking circles and biting my nails like a worried mother. The prince sighed, It's not that far into the evening, surely I can get something done still. A haste in his step, Owen looked for the castle's main entrance. Perhaps he could continue his quest towards martial competence today...

Owen goes pay a visit to the Military Academy!

Freya chatted away idly with the people gathered around Emily for an amount of time that surprised her. The environment was pleasant enough that she found herself not feeling overwhelmed too quickly. Being able to talk amongst people without constant worries for respecting titles is more relaxing, perhaps. Still, with evening coming and Sebastian recommending a bit of travel, she nodded and made her way to the city square.

Despite her efforts to take her mind off of everything, she couldn't help but notice a sign as she passed by that advertised not only strong armor, but also upgrades to existing armor. Intrigued, she made her way past the crowds- not an easy task in her current wear- to where the sign directed, opening and looking around until she spotted the shopkeeper. "Excuse me... I'm not able to purchase anything right now, but may I inquire about the armor upgrading you preform? I'd like to consider it as an option, but I'd like to hear about some price points to see what's within budget for me."

Queen of Hearts

The guards didn't make any comments on the pair. However, there were definitely glances behind them, possibly even a smug smirk or two. Maids and servants littered the corridors, perhaps almost reminiscent of Hull Castle. It didn't take long to reach Queen Ethel's study, and the guards were more than happy to let Cass and Adele get to it.

It took a moment or two for Ethel to respond to Cass, there was the definite sound of books being placed onto a shelf. Following the heavy thump, the door eased open, with Ethel gesturing for the pair to enter the room. "Good evening, girls. I was doing a little light reading. I was trained at Wihtwar many years ago, and I try to keep my knowledge contemporary... even if I never use it." she explained, stepping back into the room. "Do take a seat, being able to sit and talk is a luxury very much available to us." 

There were a trio of armchairs, all surrounding a circular table. For a study that supposedly was used by royalty, it was relatively modest in its decor. The room itself wasn't particularly large, its walls dominated by shelves. Cosy and warm, the gentle smell of parchment was very much present in the air. Sitting herself down on one of the chairs, Ethel stretched herself back, assuming a far more casual position. "I've made sure nobody will bother us, it will be just be us girls... that's how you both prefer it, am I right?" she chuckled, her gaze filled with a confident satisfaction."

Party in Raewald

The streets of Tytila were still very busy, even compared to the market during the day. Many of the stalls had shut, their owners returning to their homes, but there was a gathering in the central square. The gentle tones of a lute and the steady pounding of a drum very much suggested there was at least some sort of performance. It was difficult to see, but a trio of young men were at the heart of it, performing a song that perhaps echoed a familiar topic.

"Wild, wild, young and free
The daughter of a noble, as rich as can be
Life at the top, without worry or woe
Bored and quite restless, troubles peasants don't know

Lady by daytime, temptress by night
Morals and goodness, hidden from the light
Swifted away by a charming young man
A devil with a mask on, a dark masterplan..."

The crowd around were listening intently, the pauses between verses only drawing in more people. Squeezing to the front would take some effort, but there definitely a few gaps that Sidney could send herself through.

Magical Meeting

Tytila's Mage's Guild was a whole league above Hull's own, most likely due to the proximity of Raewald to Wihtwar. The hall was easily the size of Hull's throne room, with towering shelves dominating every wall. Unusual table and runes filled the floorspace, along with the dozens of spellcasters that had gathered. The young man at the welcome desk gave Claire a polite wave, welcoming a fellow magic user to the establishment.

The plethora of conversations in the hall meant there was a great deal of background noise. It was difficult to focus in on many of them, but one older gentleman appeared to be explaining a concept to a small group.

"It is foolish to believe that our existence is the only one that there is." he began, his long white beard swishing from side to side. "However, this is only a theoretical level. To move an object or person between two physical places in the same plane takes considerable energy. It is also unknown where said item is present after its disappearance and before its reappearance. Perhaps we are all intrinsically tied to this world? A question that many scholars have attempted to answer, but none have been able to explore."

Mage's Guild mooks revealed!

We are Number One

Hans and Lars said nothing, and didn't appear too bothered. Either their trust in the leader was sufficient to not mind or they'd long accepted that being paid was incredibly unlikely. "Just make sure that yer don't get too roughed up, boss." Lars replied, reaching to his own belt. Looking at Hans, the other axe brother shook his head. "We'd give you some dosh if we could, maybe yer could make bigger bets, but we ain't got much... or anything really."

Larissa had remained quiet for much of the afternoon, but she stepped forward, giving the trio a confident grin. "I'll see what I can manage." she added, running her hands through her hair. "I'm sure there's a number of fools out there with more money than sense. One night in Tytila might be quite profitable."

Date Club

The Colleseum was thankfull relatively far from the slums, arena fights had come more popular in the last few years - and many nobles were willing to make bets on any of the lowlifes they could con into fighting for them. There were definitely a few familiar faces among the Raewaldean nobility entering the stone structure. However, there was also another familiar face. Lilith was ready and waiting at the entrance, fully kitted out in leather armour with her sword at her belt. Giving him a wave, she approached the scholar, very much ready for combat.

"How good of you to show, a true gentleman." she laughed, putting her hand on her sword's hilt. "The showing looks pretty shoddy. Some nutjob killed most of the decent fighters a few weeks back, so it'll be easy pickings."

Surprising Reunion

The Academy was a collection of buildings not too far from the castle itself. Tall, large and regal, there was no doubt that quality of education was at the very least well funded. The solitary guard at the door allowed Owen passage, either from orders he'd been given or simply recognising the young prince. Inside, it appeared most of the students had returned to their quarters, but there was one young man training in a centre ring against what could only be described as Baleros' stunt double. The smaller man thrusted a wooden spear at the giant, only to have his attempts blocked with a training axe.

"Graham, you try good but... need focus." the giant lectured, knocking him back effortlessly. The man's face was thick and coarse. Not innately repulsive but by no means remotely attractive. "If you against big enemy like Thwomp, you need to use brains to find opening. Force won't work."

Iron Wall

Despite the crowds outside in the streets, the armoury had been mostly vacated, but the store owner was at least present inside. The one armed clerk leaned forwards, looking at Freya from head to toe. "Yer look like a lass than can handle some hefty gear..." he began, the candlelight reflecting from his bald head. "It really depends on what yer looking to do. Gets to a point where the armour just gets too bulky to move right. If yer confident that you can just block anything coming yer way, that's fine. Might be a little harder to be swift with any strikes though, better to make what you can do count."

"I suppose I could do with some more reading," Cass added, as they were ushered in by the queen. The decor was quite a shift from that main hall they'd sat in, Cass definitely appreciated the more modern approach. It made the whole room feel more cozy, something that she'd missed in their long travel. I wonder if the rooms we're to stay at are like this at all. I'd appreciate it greatly. Cass made to sit in one of those incredibly comfortable looking chairs, but stopped stiff in front of one as the queen continued to speak.

Was I too obvious? Was she listening to us outside of the room? Or has someone told her... "There's no point in being coy about it, I suppose." Cass had already steeled herself to speak, her moment of weakness disappearing as she brought herself to sit in the armchair. It was definitely comfortable. Cass cleared her throat to speak, staring at the floor, for just another moment. This was her one chance, lest they get married somewhere that would not at all be recognized. Magonsaete did not appeal.

"I wish to marry Adele." If the queen wished to force her hand and prod at her secrets, then there would be no secrets. "This is no childish wish, nor a princess trying to run away from her duties... I wish to marry Adele and serve alongside my brother in helping Wyke, and continuing the country. I cannot be married to her there, not simply because of the laws of state... I am not well liked by the nobility at home. Some seek to use me for their own wants... So, I ask you, Queen Ethel." Cass folded her hands, crossed a leg over the other, and set them down on her knee, pensive, as she stared at the queen.

"It does not have to be a grand celebration. I just wish for it to be official, if nothing else. I truly... I truly love her... I-I won't go on longer; I doubt you wish to hear a sob story. If there's anything that need be done to convince you, I..." Cass was back to hesitation, jumping to chances at bargain without having even heard the Queen's retort yet. Her worried gaze fell on Adele, hoping she had something else to add to this.

"Indeed, it takes a great deal of effort to be this gentlemanly. I'm glad you can appreciate," he said, his lips stretching into a thin smile. He tossed a pouch of coins her way, taking note of the crowd of spectators that were slowly making their way to the stands. For better or for worse, he managed to spot some of Raewald's nobility. As a lowborn orphan child who lucked his way into the 'good life', his ennoblement had been met with a fair amount of disdain by the properly "pure-blooded" aristocracy. His family had tried to shield him from the worst of it, but even as a child, it was obvious how unwelcome he was sitting in the King's court. Suffice to say, he wasn't exactly glad to see them.

But it was what it was, and a couple of haughty nobles weren't going to stop him from enjoying the night of his return home. 

He turned his attention back to Lilith, quite impressed by how she carried herself in the proper attire--though still not altogether convinced of her fighting potential. The true test would of course take place in the arena proper. "I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll be able to offer me. I'll pray that your confidence isn't misplaced, it would be a shame for us to have to part ways at the end of the night," he said with a hint of regret. "If you'll excuse me then, and good luck." He politely bowed to his chosen champion and made his way to the viewing deck. 

The Queen did have her ways, it would seem. Entering the room at Ethel's beckoning after the door opened, it seemed that Cassandra had also caught the slight quip, as the Princess had made a sudden stop before sitting. She appeared to shake it off within moments, sitting and getting straight into the matter. There was a clear apprehension in her voice as Cassandra concluded, even if she had opened strong. Reaching over and taking one of the Princess' hands off of her knee, Adeltrudis gave her an encouraging squeeze. 

"I'm sure you've noticed, your Royal Highness. Cassandra's hesitation. Even before you were to reply, already she has become mired in her own doubt. Doubt not in us, but in how you might see us. She flinches at mere words, gone is the passion and vigour that she's so known for, surely even in these parts, if through correspondence and hearsay alone. You might call me her weakness, in that regard. I've witnessed her take the field, Cassandra does not fear blades nor spear, axes nor arrows nor magic... but before you she falters, because she has found a need to present her weakness to you. But so much as I might be as such, I shall also be her strength. Her conviction, her valour, her drive to move forward and secure the future at any cost. To stand by her and with her, so long as we both are able. To be her greatest weakness, yet also her greatest strength, as she also is to me... that is what we ask of you, Queen Ethel. To give us a platform upon which we might stand firm, to expunge the shadows of doubt that so plague the mind. So that we might announce to the heavens themselves our intent, hide and cower for fear of consequence no longer." Adele added, firmly squeezing Cassandra's hand all the while as she spoke.

"When I take back my home, I wish for it to be at the side of my loving wife, so that those naysayers, those who would doubt, can see the truth before their eyes. See and believe, as they never could were they just to witness a Princess and a noble guard. That you would allow us to be bound, so that we may put our truest strength on display... and use that strength to drive Deira from it's ambitions."

Serge was worried, for lack of a better term, about letting Larissa go off to do what she had done most likely dozens of times before. If Larissa did too well, she might get herself a reputation of stealing men's pockets, among other things. And not only would that get the Heartfire Crew a worse reputation as a whole, Serge felt it went against his morals as a person. This wasn't what the Crew was about. But he knew very well that they needed money, and they needed it desperately. And so, with a deep breath, for what would be the first time that day, Serge swallowed whatever pride he had at that moment, exhaled, and nodded to Larissa. "Alright. Just...don't go too overboard. If people find out about this, it won't look good on us. And please, nobody from the local Guild. I still need to hire some people, too." With that, he acknowledged the axe brothers, thanking them for understanding, and he promised that he would come back in one piece. Then, he quickly made his way down the hallways and out the castle. It was evening, and if he didn't hurry he wouldn't even make it in time. He cursed himself for spending so much time waiting around.

With little time to spare, Serge saw the entrance in sight. By now he was full out running, panting as he did. He stopped just in front of the entrance, panting heavily to catch. He looked up to a familiar face waiting outside, just a few steps from him. "Alain? Hah...Hah..." He slowly walked over to the diplomat, noticing a woman clad in leather armor speaking with him. "What are you doing here? Thinking about participating or something?"

Oh, song in the square... the thought slipped my mind, somehow. Still, how nice. Sidney made her way towards the music with interest, but her thoughts quickly became rather cross at the lyrics of the song. Maybe she'd been spotted... or worse, she slowly thought, already infamous. But there's no way they would know about that, right? And what could they mean about a devil... Malaphar?

She wove her way through the crowd, face brought to a scowl as she made her way to the front, wondering if they were people she'd been familiar with, her guarded walk fading as she moved past a few particularly clumped up groups.

That it could be somewhat coincidental didn't cross her mind at all. Discretion was important, but obviously secondary to ego.

Just as Alain prepared himself to head into the arena, Serge came bumbling through the evening haze offering a greeting. "And a pleasant evening to you as well, Commander," Alain nodded, none too thrilled by Serge's casual mode of address. "Not here to participate, no," he said, tugging on the front of his shirt. He figured that much should have been obvious, but apparently not. "I'm not too fond of close quarter combat, and I've done more than enough fighting for quite some time to be entirely frank," he grimaced. 

"I might imagine that you on the other hand are here to participate? I'll be looking forward to seeing how you perform," he said, giving the man a once over. Serge had seemed rather distraught by Emily's affliction earlier, but he seemed to have put that behind him for the moment. Good for him.   

"Unfortunately, I can't wish you luck--I've already pledged my allegiance this evening to someone else," he said, beckoning Lilith to introduce herself. "You ought to be careful though. They say the arena here is non-lethal, but I'm told that there was a bit of a slaughter that took place here a few weeks back," he said, shrugging his shoulders. "I don't want to have to be the one telling Lady Adele, or the rest of your Reliants, that some maniac managed to chop your head off."

Adele offered her hand in support, a simple gesture that Cass appreciated. Surely there was nothing else to do but to wait for the Queen's quiet refusal, and perhaps disgust. There would be no better place to unveil such an opinion than in private where she would be able to tear them down at her leisure--

"A-Adele?" Yet, the heiress spoke. Cass found herself gripping the hand back in matching fashion to steel herself, not for worry, but for happiness, as Adele brought forth a conviction Cass had little idea existed. It wasn't just empty words either, or a begging of the heart. To see Wyke saved by the both of them, hand in hand, would not only give them room to change things from inside, but show the nobility-- more than them, show the people, that this wasn't something to be feared. Having expected little to nothing, and to receive this... Cass felt her composure falter, even in front of the Queen.

A swift raising of her free hand removed any tears before they could fall, trying to save face, though her smile would not leave. She could only look down and try not to bring her brimming grin up to bear. "Thank you," she muttered. Anything more and her brave facade would shatter into tears and smiles aplenty.

Edited by Nanami Touko

"For the record...Hah...We're not the 'Reliants' anymore." Serge stood up straight, finally catching his breath. "That ship's sailed. We're the 'Hearthfire Crew' now. Don't forget it." 

Serge finally directed his attention to Alain's 'champion' for the night. And what a champion she was. Serge was not often one to dwell on physical appearances, but even he couldn't keep himself from staring as he looked the woman over. It was as if Larissa and the swordmaiden he had met at the guild had combined into one person. But Serge refused to let any of her natural beauties keep him from signing up, much less lose.

"...Sorry, Alain. But if you're expecting me to roll over and let anybody beat me, then you got another thing coming. I got too much riding on this to back down." He then held out his hand to the woman. "Course, that doesn't mean I can't be a good sport about it. The name's Serge. And good luck to ya." 

Edited by Dandragon

Recent Novelty

Ethel watched lazily as Adele gave her speech, waiting until she'd finished before replying. "I cannot imagine too many issues with such here in Raewald, the war with Deira has weakened Engel's word here. Enough so that my orders would be enough to break convention. Foreign nobility aren't held to as high a standard as our own, so I can't imagine there would be too much of an outcry. Especially if I were to give my blessings." she replied, her mind caught up with various matters. It seemed that she hadn't quite grasped the magnitude of the request, or simply deemed herself important enough to make its execution trivial. "I wonder if there would be a priest I could make do the ceremony? I can definitely think of a few... how soon would you be hoping to arrange a ceremony? If war does break out, I'm afraid I would have to make that a priority."

Head to head to head

Lilith didnt' appear particularly impressed by Serge, reluctantly taking his hand to shake it. "Keep your luck, Serge. The arena isn't like fighting in the field. One on one, the more skilled fighter wins... and I've got a well dressed noble to entertain." she retorting, giving him a smug smirk. "I wouldn't go as far as killing you in the arena, but I'll be sure to make you roll over for me."

Taking her hand back, Lilith turned and placed herself at Alain's side, standing confidently with her benefactor. However, Serge and Alain were not the only members of their group to visit the Colleseum. Esclabor was approaching them, with a particularly dishevelled man walking along with him. Esclabor's fighter appeared to be some sort of homeless man, unshaven and dressed in tatters. The smell of alcohol was very much surrounding him, enough for Esclabor to visibly take a step away from him.

"Gentlemen, I see I wasn't the only one with the idea to try and find some money." Esclabor announced, his deadbeat accomplice standing there gormlessly. "I was tempted to enter myself, but I figured it'd reflect better on us if I found my own contender. He's not exactly fresh, but I know a champion when I see one. Nothing against your woman, Sir Alain or yourself, Steven, but my man Shaggy has victory in his sights. Dinner too if he earns enough!"

Sing me a song

The song continued as Sidney forced her way forwards, the next verse had begun almost as she entered the crowd.

"At his request, such trouble she stirred
No voices of reason were spoken or heard
Her heart desired excitement, pleasure and lust
She gave it to the devil, his words she did trust

Her antics continued, her trouble prolonged
She cared not for her victims, or any she wronged
Without remorse or a care of their pain
She took what she wanted again and again"

Their main singer was relatively well dressed, a stylish young man with bright green hair and a fringe covering half his face. A name or a family would have been hard to place, but his tone and the air about him at least hinted somewhat of nobility. 

No denial? No price? No cost... "Your highness... I..." Where was the deal? Where were her scowling eyes and cutting words? The queen seemed almost bored, if anything. Not bored, just... Above this. Like it wasn't an issue. Was it at all an issue? Was it just Wyke? Had Alain... "I can't... How... But, this..." Cass was at an indescribable loss for words. Her life's biggest worry, taken and put aside with the wave of a hand. Was this the power of a queen? Or someone with respect... You saw how easily she rose above her nobility, in that meeting. Truly, she must hold their praise, or at least their fear...

"Within the week," she found herself able to continue with. Her shock was still strong, anticipating an addendum to this at a moment's notice. "I've... Been to Aurum's Inventory. The owner will have rings prepared within that time... Queen Ethel, a-are you, sure about this?" Despite the absolute word of the queen, Cass would not be convinced that quickly. "There will be no backlash? Not for us, but... For yourself. I know what going back to Wyke like this will do to us, but... I don't wish to stain your name with something taboo. I... I'm walking back over myself. It just feels too easy. Perhaps... Undeserved." She smirked, a wry smile creeping in.

"I had come prepared to argue or bribe, and you're offering me the prize without hesitation. It's... Disarming. I don't quite know what to say; a simple thank you feels like it will not manage."

"I've got more important things to commit to memory, but perhaps if you do well enough I'll change my mind," he admitted, not entirely impressed by Serge's demand. Lilith, on the other hand continued to deliver on all fronts. He was slightly taken aback by her demeanor, but at the same time he couldn't help but feel enthused by her swift dismissal of Serge and the absolute resolve she displayed thereafter. "Well there you have it Serge, good sport or no, it seems everyone has a bit of a stake in this show."

Before the situation could could begin to boil however, another familiar face started to come into the clearing. "Ah, Baron Esclabor, how keen of you to join us this evening." Esclabor had arrived with a choice individual in tow, whom he introduced as his chosen fighter for the night. But between Lilith and Serge, and perhaps any other fighter, Alain was having a hard time imagining Shaggy having anything in his sights except the brown of the earth.

"Indeed, Sir Esclabor, this Shaggy fellow looks like quite the able-bodied fighter... I've no doubt he'll go far--though I must of course object with your assessment of tonight's victor," he said, turning to Lilith as he tried to suppress a bubbling outburst of hysteria. Even Hans and/or Lars seemed to be more competent fighters than Shaggy. If he wanted to make an impression for Wyke, the least he could have done was brought someone like Freya along. 

Having taken a moment to calm himself, he turned back towards the two and straightened himself out. "A shame Serge, that you didn't bring one of your crew members to fight on your behalf. We could have had a bit of a gentleman's wager between the three of us," he admitted. 

"A one on one, eh? Sounds interesting." In reality, it's what Serge had hoped the Coliseum to be. He knew what his skills were, and he knew that he was good in one on one fights against most. Still, he couldn't let his guard down, especially not around this 'Lilith'.

Of course, things were interrupted when Esclabor had showed up with his own fighter. Like Alain, Serge was not impressed. The man known as 'Shaggy' hadn't even said a word, yet. All he did was stand there, with a greater smell of alcohol than Serge would have of some of his worst days. He also sighed at the baron's 'attempt' to even remember his name. "It's Serge, Baron Esclabor. Not Steven."

Alain had made one passing comment, however, that made his blood boil, though Serge did his best to hide it. The idea of having someone else represent the Crew, in itself, wasn't bad, as both Hans and Lars desperately needed the training. But the thought of gambling on them, like they were animals, tore at him. Indeed, Serge was not a fan of what was happening within the arena here, and even less so at the one at Hull, back in Wyke. He knew that he would of had to do something like this sooner or later, if we was ever gonna get money to not only survive, but bring his parents to a better place, but it didn't mean he had to like any of it. The idea that some random, smug, posh nobles had enough money to waste on entertainment like this, that they would bet on people like him to fight and win, disgusted him. And it was a this point that Serge recognized he held some major disdain towards both Alain and Esclabor, if not for their noble blood, then their attitude towards this entire thing. This was no sport. This was life and death, even if the Coliseum said otherwise. And yet they both treated it like a game. Well, three could play at that one.

"Heh." He chuckled, smirking towards Alain. "Who says we can't have that wager? Only difference is I'm doing the fighting instead of someone else, right? So here's my offer." Serge took out his pouch once again, and shook it, letting the gold coins inside jingle to get their attention. "I don't know how much either of you two paid your 'champions', but in this bag right here is a thousand gold coins, exactly. I say we make it a pool, bet all our money, but the winner gets everything." Despite how dumb it sounded, Serge wasn't stupid. He knew what he was getting himself into from the beginning, and from the beginning he had planned to bet all of it, knowing full well what would happen if he lost. While on the surface, it sounded like he was raising the stakes for himself, in reality nothing had changed for him. He either walked out of that Coliseum with more money, or none. "So...What's it gonna be, fellas? You man enough to take me up? Or are you too chicken knowing I'm the one in the arena?"

Edited by Dandragon

"Listen Serge... I offered up a gentleman's wager, not a fool's gambit," he sighed, shaking his head in disbelief. He brought Lilith here because he wanted to see what she was capable of, not because he thought she was a paragon fighter. And while the chance to put Serge in his place was mildly tempting, he knew it would be a decision made only out of pettiness. "I think I will respectfully decline your offer." He waved away Serge's bag of gold, content with his decision. 

"I must compliment you on your riveting provocations however. They truly ignite the heart. I'd imagine a couple lines like those in the arena and you should have a decent mental edge over any of your opponents." He gave Lilith a knowing look. "I hope you're taking notes here, he's not a commander for nothing," he said, stifling a chuckle.   

"But, perhaps Baron Esclabor here would be eager to take up the challenge. He does have an eye for champions after all." He nudged the Baron, giving him a shrewd looking grin. "But I'll leave that to you both to hash out, I do believe the registries will be closing soon, and I'd like to get a good seat to make my observations. I'll have a seat for you as well Baron, if you're so inclined," he said, nodding towards Esclabor. 

Edited by Vestige

The Military Academy was certainly one of a kind. There was nothing like it in Wyke, not to this same degree. Before Owen could get caught up with admiring the structural complexity of the place, a bizarre situation whisked his gaze, chin nearly dropping. It wasn't out of the question that people almost as bulky and as Baleros could exist, but he never epected one that could rival the late berserker completely until now. Good grief!

"Wait... Graham? Is that you?" Owen nearly squinted his eyes, walking towards the duo now. "I can't believe it, you were sent here?" Hopefully Owen wasn't intruding on anything important, because speaking to Graham in Raewald of all places was very much abnormal, and very much happening. "Goodness, do you know what is happening in Wyke, Graham? I still can hardly process the deal myself. We seemed just fine once we left."