Release Speculation

I can see them remaking FE4 and 5 at least, maybe the rest if they sell well.

I imagine them spacing them between new releases, a bit like Pokemon rereleases old games after the main gen releases, so we don't go too long without a truly new game.

I hate to say this, but Thracia 776 is, most likely, a very bad candidate for a remake. It's so damn hard. If they did remake the game, they'd have to gut almost all the features that made it a challenging Fire Emblem, like fatigue, capturing, infinite range staves, etc. FE4 is a much better candidate because it's significantly easier than Thracia.

13 hours ago, Leif said:

I hate to say this, but Thracia 776 is, most likely, a very bad candidate for a remake. It's so damn hard. If they did remake the game, they'd have to gut almost all the features that made it a challenging Fire Emblem, like fatigue, capturing, infinite range staves, etc. FE4 is a much better candidate because it's significantly easier than Thracia.

I think it would depends on what you view as gutting. I can see it working rather well actually with adjustments (the fatigue system being less punishing perhaps focusing more on preventing overuse and not use in general, capturing I don't remember having that much of an issue with and it can be a boon as well, infinite range staffs can be adjusted and will probably need to be adjusted but that's on the players side as well and the ones that use it as a map feature I can see working) and additions. (Accessibility based difficulty modes I can actually kinda see them meshing better here than others, an optional mode with skirmishes could mitigate resource concerns and let stamina go down, adding resources like dropped items would help, a couple extra chapters before certain parts of the game could boost you up, moved or added characters could give you more units to work with in parts where you're quite limited.) but of course opinions vary on that type of thing. 

And when I view it on just the player's side I think thracia would actually be the closest to modern fire emblems of the pre gba games. (Not surprising since it is the most recent) So adjusting would actually be easier on that front.    

23 hours ago, Leif said:

Gameplay-wise, FE4 is still a weird game, with it benefiting mainly mounted units and holy blood units. Although I do think newer fans would appreciate the pairing mechanic for children, and it's done better here than Awakening and Fates IMO. However, what would make FE4 less likely than FE5 for candidacy is the actual story-content. There's incest, severe sexual harassment, PTSD (among other mental illnesses and issues), domestic abuse, Sylvia's age, and suicide (not the sacrificial trope). It's definitely the darkest FE in the series and I fear how much they'll censor.

55 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Gameplay-wise, FE4 is still a weird game, with it benefiting mainly mounted units and holy blood units. Although I do think newer fans would appreciate the pairing mechanic for children, and it's done better here than Awakening and Fates IMO. However, what would make FE4 less likely than FE5 for candidacy is the actual story-content. There's incest, severe sexual harassment, PTSD (among other mental illnesses and issues), domestic abuse, Sylvia's age, and suicide (not the sacrificial trope). It's definitely the darkest FE in the series and I fear how much they'll censor.

I'm aware of that, but if they were going to remake another game, they'd still pick Genealogy. They would, obviously, rework the balance issues present in the original game, like they're doing with Shadows of Valentia (I hope). As you said, the children mechanic is the biggest reason why IS would want to revisit it. It is what contributed to Awakening and Fates's big sale numbers (unfortunately). 

As for story content, there were dark plot elements in both Awakening and Fates. There was Emmeryn's suicide in Awakening, Elise getting hacked down by Xander in Birthright, the (off-screen) execution of Scarlet in Conquest, to name a few. Corrin can also marry his cousin. Nintendo let that one slide. However, Nintendo might censor frivolous stuff such as Sylvia's age, which isn't that big a deal. 

Edited by Leif

On 1/24/2017 at 1:32 AM, Leif said:

I mean. IS just released Fates, which, arguments on the quality of that game may vary, but most people agree that it's one of the most brutally punishing games in the series, especially Conquest. Even Birthright, the "easy" route, is way harder than a good chunk of recent FE releases.

Plus, there was also Radiant Dawn, which is also a VERY difficult game, and it was the last original FE before Awakening.

I could see them balancing FE5 to make it less brutal, but I don't see why they'd need to gut it. Reduce the fatigue rate, and things like making the escape objective function like it did in FE9. Capturing works fine, and was semi-included in Fates. We've seen Warp/Rescue staves that work similar to how they did in FE5(Their use is obviously more niche in other games, but it's there).

I mean, those balancing issues aside, I'd say FE5 would be one of the best choices for a remake, really. Those meta-gameplay mechanics give FE5 its own identity, but otherwise, it's the FE where FE kind of started looking like it does today. Classes are similar(This is the first game to really differentiate Swordmasters and Heroes for crying out loud), methods of promotion are familiar, the map size is about the same as it is today and the objective diversity is there, etc.

Plus, they're remaking GAIDEN. GAIDEN. The weirdest, wonkiest, least FE game in the FE franchise with all kinds of bizarre quirks and mechanics. At this point, I'm not leaving anything off the table in regards to what's getting a remake and what's not.

1 hour ago, Leif said:

I'm aware of that, but if they were going to remake another game, they'd still pick Genealogy. They would, obviously, rework the balance issues present in the original game, like they're doing with Shadows of Valentia (I hope). As you said, the children mechanic is the biggest reason why IS would want to revisit it. It is what contributed to Awakening and Fates's big sale numbers (unfortunately). 

As for story content, there were dark plot elements in both Awakening and Fates. There was Emmeryn's suicide in Awakening, Elise getting hacked down by Xander in Birthright, the (off-screen) execution of Scarlet in Conquest, to name a few. Corrin can also marry his cousin. Nintendo let that one slide. However, Nintendo might censor frivolous stuff such as Sylvia's age, which isn't that big a deal. 

I don't think they'd change much in regards to the characters' ages if they were to remake 4. Fates and Awakening have all kinds of weird stuff going on with young characters. In Awakening you could argue that "Oh, that character hooking up with a child means that they're going to bone and have children at some point in the future.", but Fates just didn't try to hide the fact that underage(Or at the very least, VERY clearly characters not intended to be adults, like Mozu, Hayato, Sakura, Elise, etc.) characters were having sex and giving birth pretty much as soon as they maxed out their relationships.

I imagine stuff like Sylvia implying that she was a prostitute would get cut(Same deal with Lara in 5), and the rape implications with Leen would get cut, but I don't think they'd skirt the age issue. Especially with how unclear the time is in FE4.

Edited by Slumber

10 hours ago, Leif said:

I'd still consider FE4 darker. The incest is siblings, which I would consider even grosser than cousins (although historically, it was normal for royalty to marry their cousins). But I feel like they could retcon Deidre and Alvis to be cousins, and Sylvia is an easy fix.

Emmeryn's suicide was sacrificial, which makes the tone a lot lighter than Tailto/Titlyu's suicide where she basically gives up because she couldn't handle her crippling depression, PTSD, and the domestic abuse she suffered from her sister-in-law, leaving Tinny alone and emotionally unstable. Plus Tailto had such a bright personality as well, which makes a stark contrast to the cause of her demise. Meanwhile Emmeryn had the personality of a pancake. She was just made out to be a virtuous ruler, and that's how she ended. She was patriotic, while Tailto was a tortured soul.

For the Elise incident, Xander's intent was not to kill her. It was to kill Corrin but she threw herself in front of him and took the blow. He wasn't trying to murder his sister, and she defended Corrin out of her love, which makes the moment sad and dark, but it's not F***ed up kind of dark that FE4 was sometimes.

But as I was reading your post, I slowly see myself being convinced by your argument though. Although the gameplay is weird, it has the eugenics element familiar to the newer fans.