Yamagami bravely reveals official Chinese version + 1 new screenshot

News post

The biggest news is that Fire Emblem Echoes will be the very first Fire Emblem game to receive an official Chinese translation, much like how Pokemon Sun and Moon were the first Pokemon games to receive one.

Like Pokemon Sun and Moon, there will be Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese text, although it’s unclear if players can choose between the two via an in-game option or they need to buy a separate version of the game.

To illustrate this, they showed off comparison screenshots from the game, including a previously unseen screenshot of Alm and Celica from their younger days.

002.jpg

While the text will be in Chinese, the voice overs will remain Japanese to “preserve the authenticity of the game”.

Fire Emblem Warriors is getting a Chinese version too.

33 minutes ago, dap005 said:

Good to see Chinese fans getting some love from IS and Nintendo :). I can read simplified Chinese and speak Mandarin, if you need anything translated I'd be happy to help. 

Thanks, but I'm familiar with Chinese myself ^^

That said, do you have access to a Chinese 3DS to download the Chinese version of the game (or are you buying the physical version)? I'm kind of wondering if I can access the Hong Kong/Taiwanese eShop with my Japanese 3DS...

I'm happy for the Chinese fans! Hopefully this'll be a good introduction to the series for them. 

Man, this series is all over the place, isn't it? First it's Japan exclusive, then it starts getting localized in the West starting with the seventh installment, then it goes back to being Japan only with New Mystery and now the 15:th game will be the first to be released in China as well. It must be daunting getting into this series now!

So uh, what is Alm saying there in that picture?

15 minutes ago, Thane said:

I'm happy for the Chinese fans! Hopefully this'll be a good introduction to the series for them. 

Man, this series is all over the place, isn't it? First it's Japan exclusive, then it starts getting localized in the West starting with the seventh installment, then it goes back to being Japan only with New Mystery and now the 15:th game will be the first to be released in China as well. It must be daunting getting into this series now!

So uh, what is Alm saying there in that picture?

I know right? We might complain about not getting 7 Fire Emblems in English, but Chinese fans have had to survive this long with their own resources. At least South Korea got a Korean version of Fates last year, I think?

Hehe, it's mentioned in the news post, but I was lazy to include it.

"Hey, look at this... it's the proof of our friendship!"

Something like that. Like Japanese, Chinese can be read a ton of ways depending on the context--and there's little context here, although the picture helps.

EDIT: For the uninitiated, Alm is referring to his and Celica's birthmark. I don't actually think Celica had one in the original Gaiden, so this is a really neat change if true.

It would also be super amazing if the birthmarks were revealed to be Brands ala proof of holy blood like in Genealogy and Awakening.

Edited by VincentASM

13 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

I know right? We might complain about not getting 7 Fire Emblems in English, but Chinese fans have had to survive this long with their own resources. At least South Korea got a Korean version of Fates last year, I think?

Hehe, it's mentioned in the news post, but I was lazy to include it.

"Hey, look at this... it's the proof of our friendship!"

Something like that. Like Japanese, Chinese can be read a ton of ways depending on the context--and there's little context here, although the picture helps.

EDIT: For the uninitiated, Alm is referring to his and Celica's birthmark. I don't actually think Celica had one in the original Gaiden, so this is a really neat change if true.

It would also be super amazing if the birthmarks were revealed to be Brands ala proof of holy blood like in Genealogy and Awakening.

Is Fire Emblem a popular franchise in China, or do they have a small but dedicated fanbase like there was here in the West in the early days? 

Ah, thank you! I honestly figured it would be something cheesy given the overly colorful environment, but I'm surprised they're talking about birthmarks; I know Alm had one, but Celica? Hmm...But indeed, I would also like it if it tied things together with Genealogy and Awakening! 

Spoiler

Speaking of, I wonder if Alm will still pick up the Falchion in this game - I mean the Japanese title seems to imply that - but I just find it a bit odd continuity-wise. Ah well, a topic for another thread I suppose.

Anyway, it really sounds like they're expanding upon the story at the very least. I wonder if they'll make their quarrel more dramatic in this game as well. Mark my words, this scene, or the one where they're talking about Doma and Mila "just apologizing", will be brought up when they're reunited again.

没问题 :). I live in the UK though so don't really have any way of buying a Chinese 3ds (unless I can persuade my cousin to gift me one haha).

I would love to play the Chinese version since translation from Japanese to Chinese tends to be more natural thus it'll be closer to the original. 

10 minutes ago, Thane said:

Is Fire Emblem a popular franchise in China, or do they have a small but dedicated fanbase like there was here in the West in the early days? 

Ah, thank you! I honestly figured it would be something cheesy given the overly colorful environment, but I'm surprised they're talking about birthmarks; I know Alm had one, but Celica? Hmm...But indeed, I would also like it if it tied things together with Genealogy and Awakening! 

Hide contents

Speaking of, I wonder if Alm will still pick up the Falchion in this game - I mean the Japanese title seems to imply that - but I just find it a bit odd continuity-wise. Ah well, a topic for another thread I suppose.

Anyway, it really sounds like they're expanding upon the story at the very least. I wonder if they'll make their quarrel more dramatic in this game as well. Mark my words, this scene, or the one where they're talking about Doma and Mila "just apologizing", will be brought up when they're reunited again.

Good question. I did use to frequent the ChinaFE BBS a long time ago, but not so much nowadays.

My gut feeling is that they have an extremely small circle of incredibly dedicated fans. So yeah like us before Blazing Blade came out.

Nevermind Echoes being the first game to get a Chinese translation, the Nintendo 3DS was basically the first Nintendo console to be 100% released and supported in Chinese territories. Everything before that you had to import from Japan or hope an import store carried it. (Or it was gimped like the iQue)

That said, due to China's proximity to Japan--and the fact most games sold were in Japanese anyway, there's a much much higher chance of someone there finding/playing a Fire Emblem game compared to, say, America (before the series was released in the West). Hope that all makes sense, haha.

Edited by VincentASM

Ye, there a sizable fan base for jrgps and the like. Plus most grow up on Japanese anime and games so it'll be instantly familiar/appealing to the Chinese market. 

Is there an official Chinese website for FE now that they've made the announcement? 

And it does look like they're fleshing out the story, fingers crossed that we get supports or at least more characterisation.

13 minutes ago, dap005 said:

Ye, there a sizable fan base for jrgps and the like. Plus most grow up on Japanese anime and games so it'll be instantly familiar/appealing to the Chinese market. 

Is there an official Chinese website for FE now that they've made the announcement? 

And it does look like they're fleshing out the story, fingers crossed that we get supports or at least more characterisation.

That was the first thing I tried to look for, but they simply direct you to the Japanese website.

There are Chinese websites for other 3DS games so I assume it's simply too early right now.

Anyway, I usually follow Nintendo HK for Pokemon news so I should be relatively quick to notice anything new they add ^^

It's neat that they manages to add Birthmarks for Alm and Celica and an another flashback, plus, it's neat that Chinese fans will get Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. But, what year did Nintendo of China released Nintendo 3DS systems since I did think I did heard that only Chinese translations that I recall it was released was Pokemon Sun and Moon, I'm guessing it that the Chinese 3DS might be around 2016 correct?

Edit: Nevermind, I did found some info about that Chinese 3DS systems were called iQue 3DS.

Edited by King Marth 64

4 hours ago, Thane said:

Reveal hidden contents

For the spoilers:

Kaga's early plans had every "Holy Weapon" in the series be called Falchion. Considering we've now got proof basically beyond a shadow of a doubt that Mila and Duma are Divine Dragons, I wager that the Valentian Falchion will keep its name and have the origin of being made form one of Duma's fangs grafted onto it.

Edited by The DanMan

Hitoshi Yamagami is unfamiliar with the Chinese language but is clearly trying - fluent Chinese is normally spoken at a fast pace not unlike how fast fluent Japanese is spoken.

In spoilers is a video of a Mandarin Chinese-speaking player playing FE Heroes.

Spoiler

As for popularity of Nintendo stuff, I mainly see Pokemon stuff (sometimes, usually something like translated Pokemon manga or Pokedex books - I even remember seeing a CD containing ROMs of various Pokemon titles such as 386-modded GBA games and Diamond/Pearl) while in China though my cousins are aware of the Super Smash Bros. series. Not sure about other franchises though I am aware that the iQue version of the N64 has official Chinese translations of N64 games like Star Fox 64 (which even has full Mandarin Chinese voice acting and even Chinese textures).

Before Pokemon Sun and Moon, many Pokemon games, as well as other Nintendo games, have unofficial Chinese fan translations. Of course, they're on stuff like pirated ROMs, flash carts, and the like (China is rather infamous for pirating copyrighted IPs).

Edited by Roflolxp54