The Flaws of Fire Emblem Heroes' Summoning System

Erren

2 minutes ago, Erren said:

I completely understand that, but trying to get specific units in the game is the difficult part.

It's probably the biggest reason that players reroll in the first place and actively encourage such a practice. And if the character(s) they want hasn't been released yet (such as Ike), they can hold off from playing the game (are you that patient?) or just be a non-committing F2Per (can you give up the progress you made up to that point?) until the character(s) get added to the game before they start rerolling for keeps.

17 minutes ago, Erren said:

you proved your point

It's a mindset that I think is detrimental at best and toxic at worst.  No matter how much I like certain FE characters, I'm not going to pin my enjoyment of the game on whether or not they join my roster.  And I will NOT complain if they don't wind up in there.  It would be nice, but it's not the end of the world, and it certainly isn't worth making a topic over.

6 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Welcome to Gacha.

also 3*/4* =/= useless.  You can get a lot out of em with at least a little strategy 

You can also raise them to 5* anyway, so moot point.

8 hours ago, Sire said:

As many stated here, the "RNG System" in the west is common practice in the East with Gachapon-style monetization. Fairly recently (past few years) Western developers have started incorporating RNG into their games (Loot Crates and all variants thereof), but there are plenty of ways to go about the system of RNG progression.

While I don't mind the Gacha system too much (even though pure RNG sucks), I would love a "Guaranteed Option" that instantly gives what the player is looking for, but at a higher price. So, instead of paying ~$11 to pull five random heroes, pay $5 to instantly purchase a "Focus" hero, such as Erika. In essence, I want an alternative method of obtaining things instead of relying on pure RNG all the time. The alternative may not be as efficient, but that is the price of convenience.

Other alternatives that have been used are crafting systems, point systems, or simply have the game up for purchase and the Loot Boxes contain only cosmetic items (Overwatch).

However, the nature of most Gachapon games tends to stick to the pure-RNG formula and not give alternatives so players can keep "gambling" for what they are looking for, especially games with Eastern developers. Also, keep in mind Fire Emblem: Heroes is a free to play game. While it is free to play, it still requires money to actually operate and continue development, so it needs to have some form of monetization somewhere. The alternative to FE:H is just making another Fire Emblem title that is bought and played like most games.

I would like to see Orb prices lowered as they are a bit steep at current. $2 per hero but costing only $8 for a full batch (5 heroes) sounds a lot more reasonable compared to the current ~$11 for a full pull. Alas, I don't see a price reduction happening unless there is some form of sale, provided sales are even a thing in these games.

Yeah, I think there won't be any major changes to the system, but there's a couple tweaks, I'd like.

Make the Orb cost progression make more sense.  There's no discernible pattern to the pricing right now.  Why does it sometimes cost more per Orb as you go up in price?  Make it slowly go down per Orb bought when you buy the more expensive packs.

To go along with that, give a Token or something when you buy the more expensive packs (say $40) that let you redeem it for a 3* or 4* character of your choice.  They could limit it to the focus characters if they want, but I'd love it to be a wider array, (like Leo).  That way people can pay to get a character they really want, but it will still require additional time and investment if they want to raise them up to 5*  Raising from 4* to 5* is no mean feat.  It requires several weeks, and if people have a character they are motivated to raise, they'll be more liking to keep playing.