Did I miss something?

Junkhead

I use to feel this game was waaay to easy- that is, until around the first two worlds, where enemies start being no pushover. And from that point onward, it was pretty rare for any one of my folk to double, and let alone 1RKO. Hell, sometimes I find them struggling to 3HKO. I mean, I ended up making it up until the end of 2nd Awakening this way, but I'm beginning to think I was actually supposed to be letting my main characters (as in, main team) follow their natural course, instead of purposely holding them back because the game seemed ridiculously easy before that. As in turns out, most enemies seem to have pretty silly stats, compared to my own of the same level. For example, my Share a gets out tanked by a fucking Mage, whom has 4 Def over her (and never mind the fact she's lucky to 3HKO...without doubling).

Bottom line, not an actual rant, but more along the lines of reconsidering where I went wrong. I don't think heavy grinding is necessary.

are you using alfonse, sharena and anna? they start out as 2* and have crap stats unless you upgrade to 3*. literally every pulled unit is better than the original 3 and the starter units you receive. grinding isnt necessary until late lunatic.

In regards to Sharena, Alphonse, and Anna, I recommend upgrading them to 3* and then 4*. And eventually 5* when/if you get enough feathers.

In regards to the difficulty, there is a fairly steep and consistent curve. Not only will enemies get higher stats from higher Levels, but they will also gain stats from their stars ranking going up, and from having stronger weapons. Plus they start to get abilities and 5 member teams.

I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to complete all 9 chapters with just the 2* units they give you from the beginning without doing any grinding.

I recommend using any actually good units instead of the starting guys. If you've been playing through the story without summoning you probably have a LOT of orbs to use. 

If you upgrade Sharena, she's actually pretty decent.  I can't speak for the other two, but being 2* when pretty much everything else is bare minimum 3* hurts them a lot by comparison.

Does anybody take a look at actual stats, rather than broken skills? Seems no one pays attention to anything under *4, as if they absolutely need it to get through. Sharena has been one of my better units, if only I didn't slack on her training. She had a solid Spd/Def combination, which is always excellent, as well as Rally Atk. I didn't train Anna, but she seems like a pretty badass glass canon. Speedy as hell, let alone the fact she's an Axie. The only weak link of the bunch seems Alfonse. Despise pretty good defensive paramaters, his offense is pretty awful.

5 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Does anybody take a look at actual stats, rather than broken skills? Seems no one pays attention to anything under *4, as if they absolutely need it to get through. Sharena has been one of my better units, if only I didn't slack on her training. She had a solid Spd/Def combination, which is always excellent, as well as Rally Atk. I didn't train Anna, but she seems like a pretty badass glass canon. Speedy as hell, let alone the fact she's an Axie. The only weak link of the bunch seems Alfonse. Despise pretty good defensive paramaters, his offense is pretty awful.

I think the lower * have both lower overall stats and access to fewer skills.

Fewer skills, yeah. Stats, not entirely. Like I said, I don't think overkill skills are everything. Rallies seemed unnecessary up to a certain point, where I pretty much need them at this point.

26 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Fewer skills, yeah. Stats, not entirely. Like I said, I don't think overkill skills are everything. Rallies seemed unnecessary up to a certain point, where I pretty much need them at this point.

I'm going to assume that you haven't bothered spending the 200 feathers necessary to get them to 3*.  This is where you went wrong.

The jump from 2* to 3* is massive.  Units get a new weapon, which is a flat addition to Attack (usually), and may have other effects.  Procs get upgraded, and another, different skill may be added to their tree.  This allows your characters to better fill the niche they were designed for.  Alphonse is a heavy bruiser, while Sharena's somewhere between generalist and support, and Anna's a glass cannon.

Don't worry too much about grinding - the stuff you get from the Training Tower is stuff you need anyway.

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I'm going to assume that you haven't bothered spending the 200 feathers necessary to get them to 3*.  This is where you went wrong.

The jump from 2* to 3* is massive.  Units get a new weapon, which is a flat addition to Attack (usually), and may have other effects.  Procs get upgraded, and another, different skill may be added to their tree.  This allows your characters to better fill the niche they were designed for.  Alphonse is a heavy bruiser, while Sharena's somewhere between generalist and support, and Anna's a glass cannon.

Don't worry too much about grinding - the stuff you get from the Training Tower is stuff you need anyway.

Upgrading to 3* and even 4* isn't too bad, feather amount wise.  Only going from 4* to 5* is really that prohibitively expensive.  I've got enough feathers to upgrade a single unit to 5* now, but I'm worried about blowing them all now, if I have another 4* that I really want to upgrade later, since even with the 10K feather gift, I've barely gotten enough to upgrade one unit, now.

6 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Upgrading to 3* and even 4* isn't too bad, feather amount wise.  Only going from 4* to 5* is really that prohibitively expensive.  I've got enough feathers to upgrade a single unit to 5* now, but I'm worried about blowing them all now, if I have another 4* that I really want to upgrade later, since even with the 10K feather gift, I've barely gotten enough to upgrade one unit, now.

Just get the 5* they make the difference

5 minutes ago, randybutternubz said:

Just get the 5* they make the difference

My top contender for promotion is Kagero, since she has an okay bane/boon.  The other would be Robin, but he's got a bad bane/boon combo.  But I have a good team without them, right now, so I want to save at least 20K feathers, in case I need them later.

I do notice the huge difference the 5* weapon will make.  Both Robin and Kagero suffer quite a bit by not having the extra attack.  Robin only has 31 Atk.

Edited by Rezzy

14 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

If you're F2P, the feather cost from 3* to 4* is enough to make me pause.  Yes, the arena gives you feathers, but assuming your team managed to win something, and your total score is over 3,000, that's just enough for one promotion.  The other feather sources are arena quests (which I'm doing) and the daily feather thing.

6 minutes ago, eclipse said:

If you're F2P, the feather cost from 3* to 4* is enough to make me pause.  Yes, the arena gives you feathers, but assuming your team managed to win something, and your total score is over 3,000, that's just enough for one promotion.  The other feather sources are arena quests (which I'm doing) and the daily feather thing.

Yeah, 3* to 4* is still costly, but not outrageous.  Arena plus doing the missions should give you enough to promote at least one unit a week.  It takes a while, but isn't measured in months, like 4*-5*, hence my hesitation to give anyone the bump to 5*.

Admitted, I've spent a little bit of money on the game, but the majority of my feathers came from the Arena and the 10K gift.  They really need to make the feathers that you get from friends actually be a meaningful amount.  10 feathers a day will literally take you years to upgrade a single unit if that's the only source of feathers.

Edited by Rezzy

I've recently hit a roadblock; pretty much can't do Ch. 8-5 and any part of Ch. 9 on Lunatic with my current team (by that point, all of the enemies are lv. 40 5-stars whereas I only have 1 lv. 40 5-star unit and 4 lv. 40 4-star units).

2 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

I've recently hit a roadblock; pretty much can't do Ch. 8-5 and any part of Ch. 9 on Lunatic with my current team (by that point, all of the enemies are lv. 40 5-stars whereas I only have 1 lv. 40 5-star unit and 4 lv. 40 4-star units).

I hit a road block on the 9th chapter mission with Zephiel and all the armors until I leveled up all my mages and Baby Tiki.  I've got 12 units at level 37+, now so I think I've got enough units to beat anything, given I know what I've facing first.

24 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

19 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I hit a road block on the 9th chapter mission with Zephiel and all the armors until I leveled up all my mages and Baby Tiki.  I've got 12 units at level 37+, now so I think I've got enough units to beat anything, given I know what I've facing first.

I'm seriously considering a topic about roadblocks.  Or you guys can ask this in the General Discussion thread, along with every last unit you have.

I, for one, am looking forward to 9-2.