Explain me Hector usefulness

Ryuke

I understand he's in the meta and is really high in tier list. However...

practically everyone has a red 5* infantry (name every possible sword lord).

In arena battle... he's literally if not the easiest for me to take out... Unless of course I am missing something. 

3 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

I understand he's in the meta and is really high in tier list. However...

practically everyone has a red 5* infantry (name every possible sword lord).

In arena battle... he's literally if not the easiest for me to take out... Unless of course I am missing something. 

He can counter at one and two range.  He counters Takumi, and unless you one-shot him, he will double counter you back due to his skill.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

He can counter at one and two range.  He counters Takumi, and unless you one-shot him, he will double counter you back due to his skill.

Yeah.. Tiki has that too (the older one -- a few other.. Nowi etc ).

I understand why Takumi is S+ ... simply because he has range attack on top of counter. You cannot play defense with infantry. (Unless you are playing defense with Hector/Tiki or Mage/Bow user)

Edited by Ryuke

I think part of it isn't even about battle performance at all. Because his stat total is so high, he raises your overall team's rating, allowing you to fight higher-rated teams and therefore to get more points to reach higher rankings.

I haven't found him challenging to fight at all, but he may be more powerful on the player's side than on the enemy's. When you're facing an enemy Hector, you can stay away from him until you've finished killing his whole team, then bait him into attacking a melee character so you can turn off his Armads double attack. But when you're the one controlling Hector, the AI can't bait you into unfavorable moves. As long as you can get him to the front lines, you can be the one to bait them into attacking him and getting annihilated.

I was lucky enough to get my own Hector today, so once I finish training him, I'll have to see how he does on this side of the battlefield.

Armads guarantees x2 attacks when he's attacked at >80% HP and he can counter at any range. If you try to initiate at ranged, he'll double up on people.

You essentially can't cheese him with a Tome unless your Tome can take the two hits. More than likely, you're having to have him come to you with an one-range unit, and he already hits hard as is. Your unit better be able to drop his HP below that 80% too.

There's Takumi, who's hard because he's a colorless that can counter at any range. There's Hector, where you don't want to be the initiator in combat until you drop his HP down enough.

Still have an easier time dealing with Hector's than Takumi's.

7 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

Cool :)

I dont even know Armad act as Brave. Maybe Roy + Tadept lv1 made it too easy.

Brave isn't quite the right word. Brave weapons let you attack twice on your own turn: what Armads does is grant him the effect of Quick Riposte 2, which works on the enemy phase instead but only at high HP.

7 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

Cool :)

I dont even know Armad act as Brave. Maybe Roy + Tadept lv1 made it too easy.

It only acts as Brave when Hector is attacked, not when he initiates combat, and it doesn't do both hits in a row, assuming you're fast enough to double Hector.

25 minutes ago, Dual Dragons said:

Armads guarantees x2 attacks when he's attacked at >80% HP and he can counter at any range. If you try to initiate at ranged, he'll double up on people.

You essentially can't cheese him with a Tome unless your Tome can take the two hits. More than likely, you're having to have him come to you with an one-range unit, and he already hits hard as is. Your unit better be able to drop his HP below that 80% too.

There's Takumi, who's hard because he's a colorless that can counter at any range. There's Hector, where you don't want to be the initiator in combat until you drop his HP down enough.

Still have an easier time dealing with Hector's than Takumi's.

There's a couple of units that can safely engage Hector on their turn.  Notice the words "a couple" - if you don't have those specific units, dealing with Hector requires eating a hefty two hits.

Everyone's team composition will have issues dealing with someone or another.  Mine is Lucina - Takumi doesn't give me too many issues unless I'm sloppy, and Hector is a free kill.  Linde will be difficult, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Edited by eclipse

21 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

It only acts as Brave when Hector is attacked, not when he initiates combat, and it doesn't do both hits in a row, assuming you're fast enough to double Hector.

21 minutes ago, Othin said:

Brave isn't quite the right word. Brave weapons let you attack twice on your own turn: what Armads does is grant him the effect of Quick Riposte 2, which works on the enemy phase instead but only at high HP.

Ahhh ... Hector doesnt damage me ... or its not even noticeable (when I use Roy)... Yeah... maybe that's what make me wrote this. 

Just now, eclipse said:

There's a couple of units that can safely engage Hector on their turn.  Notice the words "a couple" - if you don't have those specific units, dealing with Hector is difficult.

Everyone's team composition will have issues dealing with someone or another.  Mine is Lucina - Takumi doesn't give me too many issues unless I'm sloppy, and Hector is a free kill.  Linde will be difficult, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Yeah. I haven't encountered Hector since adding Marth so at the time it was Camilla, Robin, Olivia, and Abel for my team. Camilla's got -HP so it was never safe for me to be the one engaging Hector. Fighting him in general was good after passing the 80% HP threshold.

My problem actually lies in Merric's and Linde's. Lucina I'm just wary about her Defiant Speed. Merric will tear through Robin and Camilla, and Linde explodes on anyone not Camilla. They tend to be coupled with Takumi's and Lucina's anyways so I have to deal with the whole shebang.

5 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

Ahhh ... Hector doesnt damage me ... or its not even noticeable (when I use Roy)... Yeah... maybe that's what make me wrote this. 

Roy has a skill that gives super WTA, so he's actually one of the best counters to Hector.

2 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

Roy is one of the few units that can safely engage Hector, thanks to Triangle Adept.  I wouldn't recommend doing the same to Effie/any other non-green.

Just now, Dual Dragons said:

Yeah. I haven't encountered Hector since adding Marth so at the time it was Camilla, Robin, Olivia, and Abel for my team. Camilla's got -HP so it was never safe for me to be the one engaging Hector. Fighting him in general was good after passing the 80% HP threshold.

My problem actually lies in Merric's and Linde's. Lucina I'm just wary about her Defiant Speed. Merric will tear through Robin and Camilla, and Linde explodes on anyone not Camilla. They tend to be coupled with Takumi's and Lucina's anyways so I have to deal with the whole shebang.

Dual blue teams will have problems with Hector, full stop.

I don't use fliers, so Merric isn't an issue.  Linde, however. . .she can ORKO my designated mage-killer, and she has color effectiveness against my tank.  Linde/Lucina is a pain in the ass to deal with. . .like, I need a good map and positioning.  If it's that stupid bridge map, I'll probably lose.

Hector is much better on the player's side than the enemy's. Even when I was using Robin/Peri/Anna/Maria as my arena team, Hectors didn't tend to cause me issue because I would usually get rid of the rest of the team and then gang up on him. Now that I have Lyn he's just nothing.

But on the player's side he's great for most of the reasons people have explained. Still, I think he's a bit overrated if only for the fact that 1 move is horrible.

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Dual blue teams will have problems with Hector, full stop.

I don't use fliers, so Merric isn't an issue.  Linde, however. . .she can ORKO my designated mage-killer, and she has color effectiveness against my tank.  Linde/Lucina is a pain in the ass to deal with. . .like, I need a good map and positioning.  If it's that stupid bridge map, I'll probably lose.

Good thing Hector's still aren't that common for me. I'll be trying dual Blue by replacing Olivia with Sharena after a safe run. My problem's going to be the lack of repositioning. Here's to hoping.

I panic a little on the map where units a split up in twos. My team's focus is around supporting with Spurs and Hones. I still win in the end but might end up with a casualty.

Armour units in general are weak when controlled by the arena AI because they lag behind and thus you can take them out at your leisure at the end. (In story fights the game tries to get around this by placing them at the front but the arena does no such thing.)

They're better in player hands for sure as a counter to certain things (plus arena AI being stupid), and they're useful due to how arena scoring works. They feel situational to me at best in story maps, though, and should not be used on your arena defence team.