Potential New Metas

immatx

Right now the current meta is pretty obvious. Most of the lords in Fire Emblem games use swords, so it really isn't that surprising that red sword units are for the most part the strongest grouping in the game. Add in Takumi and M Robin and there you go. But of course, like all new games, this will likely end up being balanced out by pushing the power into another color and/or weapon type.

Personally, I think the next meta will be green mages through the introduction of Soren and Lewyn/Levin in a focus group. I think they will be overpowered in terms of stats due to the need to combat red infantry, resulting in M Robin becoming nearly irrelevant in PvP. Both will have sky high attack, following in the footsteps of Julia, but will have much higher speed along with lower resistance and slightly higher HP.

I think if this did happen it would lead to more pegasus knights being used, which would keep takumi and other archers very important on defense.

And then Roy just laughs at both of them if they were set up that way and swats them aside.

Levin I suspect will have really high speed and merely average attack; mage version of Lon'qu basically except with the +speed coming from his tome instead of a skill slot. Soren will probably be fairly close to Merric in terms of stat spread, just different skills. Neither would do anything to change the meta because all of the Red Lords would just slaughter them.

Meta has to introduce a fair chunk of both blue and green units that are really good at the same time, while still giving us Takumi counters. Problem is as long as they're introducing new lords, the meta will stay red heavy. I mean we have... Micaiah and the mage from Echoes/Gaiden to break up that trend, Sothe if you count him as a lord... and that's it.

37 minutes ago, TheNiddo said:

And then Roy just laughs at both of them if they were set up that way and swats them aside.

Levin I suspect will have really high speed and merely average attack; mage version of Lon'qu basically except with the +speed coming from his tome instead of a skill slot. Soren will probably be fairly close to Merric in terms of stat spread, just different skills. Neither would do anything to change the meta because all of the Red Lords would just slaughter them.

Meta has to introduce a fair chunk of both blue and green units that are really good at the same time, while still giving us Takumi counters. Problem is as long as they're introducing new lords, the meta will stay red heavy. I mean we have... Micaiah and the mage from Echoes/Gaiden to break up that trend, Sothe if you count him as a lord... and that's it.

I think the fact that there are so many good red units will result in an overextension to fix it, resulting in stronger green units. Also, I took into account that many of the PvP maps revolve around choke points, the lava and water maps come to mind. Using a natural barrier or a tank like Effie, I imagine they would be able to whittle down an opponents units without much risk. Of course it's just a theory, but I would be pleasantly surprised if it did happen.

Cuan, Trabant, Altenna, and Areone all should have access to legendary lances that could help balance out the current dominance of red sword lords. There's also Ishtar who, if implemented, would likely be blue and carry Thorhammer.

If we get Camus sometime soon as a Grand Hero Battle reward, it's possible he may have Gradivus available as his 5-star weapon (I don't recall what he had during the story, so correct me if he had some generic 5-star weapon), which I would assume would behave like a lance Falchion (10 HP regeneration every 3 turns).

Light magic is currently split between blue (Aura) and green (Naga, Light Breath). Both of the green weapons are related to the divine dragons, so it's likely that "standard" light magic will end up blue, and Micaiah would probably end up here. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Thani is implemented with its effectiveness against cavalry and armor still intact.

As for dealing with Takumi, Michalis is a potential future Grand Hero Battle reward, and he comes with flying mobility and Iote's Shield. I'd imagine he's no slouch in terms of Def either.

It's also almost a certaintly that we'll get a larger selection of characters with access to weapons and skills effective against archers, such as the Raven magic series, the Poison Dagger, and the Bowbreaker skill.