Unlock potential from 2/3✩ to 5✩

Pimalai

Hey guys,

I'm now sitting at more than 23k feathers and some more waiting for the end of the Arena season (3,908 points is my max right now... that should be another 1,6k). This means I can unlock potential of any of my units. Going from 2 to 3 stars has a negligible cost (100 feathers), and going from 3 to 4 stars is basically a couple of week of dedicated work in the arena (2k feathers), so maybe it's not a terrible idea to take into account all my units, even the lower rarity ones, when deciding who to upgrade.

I'll post my whole roster down here... as you can see my team has always maxed Catria (MVP and red killer) and Raven (he's +1); then Eirika and a ranged unit, usually a mage (Lilina or Robin... maybe Gordin). I have a Minerva growing quickly and looking awesome, she's starting to look better than Raven to me, and has a nice synergy with the other flier (Catria).

As you can see, I'm lacking blue units and have some overbooking of front liners, so my choice for the upgrade should be a ranged unit. I don't want to upgrade staff units nor support neutral units, which I feel weaker in the long terms. Obvious choice would be Nowi, but I'm not sure of another melee unit... so I'm starting to consider my 2-3 star units, as I have Nino, Robin (blue mage would be nice), Odin, Olivia, Sharena... Any of the already 4 stars ones will be cheaper, obviously.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Personally I'd recommend M Robin, 

You lack a strong 5* Mage, which is a spot he fills well. On top of that with the meta currently being Takumi and Red centric, Robin works as a strong counter to both, with Hector being the only green that really sees that much play. Also the upcoming Prince V Princess event will most likely see very few green units in general.

That said, I'm by no means one of the top players, so take the advice as just that.

I second M!Robin. You did mention needing a blue and a ranged, and he fills that slot nicely. Otherwise notable ranged units you have are Lilina, Merric, and Gordin. (And Nino but she requires a team to be built around her, and that would require you to overhaul your entire current team)

Nino works really well with Eirika since Eirika can give both Hone Atk 2 with her weapon and Hone Spd 3 with her ability and Nino does bonus damage based on how many buffs she has. As long as she has a good Boon/Bane I would recommend Nino.

Hell, even a 4*Nino is fantastic. Thats what I run right now and i really wish I could have been lucky enough to get and Eirika because she works so well with her.

If Nino has a bad Boon/Bane like -Atk or -Spd, go with someone else that has a good one.

Was gonna say Nowi or Nino, since you lack a magical attacker, but Nino / Robin is probably your best bet since you also lack a ranged attacker. Nino would definitely synergize well with Eirika, though. 

Edited by BANRYU

Personally I wouldn't upgrade any of the mages. If this was still Takumi emblem, then Robin, for sure. Bur really, the difference between a 4* and a 5*  mage is like +5-7 atk and +2 everything else... it's nice, yeah, but your Lilina is already at 37 and there's a Nino devotion coming. In your place I'd wait for a while, unless you really like one of the characters.

6 hours ago, Pimalai said:

I'm not sure of my Nino and Robin's boon/banes, I already leveled them up a bit.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to tell boon/bane after level 1, since we don't know which stats increased.  If you level them up to 20, you can preview their stats in their new *, which can tell you what their IVs are.

I've had a ton of success with 5* m!Robin in the arena, so I definitely recommend him, especially if you think he might be a particularly good fit for your team.

I highly suggest either Robin or Nino.

Robin has very little trouble dealing with enemy swords and bows due to his weapon triangle advantage against them and respectable HP and Def. I often use Robin to tank hits from various sword units (which also helps to charge up Bonfire) while I clean up other enemies or buy time to reposition for the next turn. His lower Atk and Res, though, means he has trouble dealing with enemy mages; even red mages will give him some trouble. His Spd places him in a very crowded speed tier where a +Spd roll avoids being double attacked my most enemies that matter, but a neutral Spd roll opens you up to being double attacked by a lot of characters.

You're already using Eirika on your team, so Nino could also be a good fit. Nino's Gronnblade duplicates every buff on her as an Atk buff, meaning the combination of Eirika's Sieglinde and Hone Speed 3 gives Nino a massive +10 Atk and +4 Spd instead of just +3 Atk and +4 Spd, enough to one-round-kill about two thirds of the metagame (including any Chrom, most variants of Marth, and any Lucina she can double attack) assuming your roll is not -Atk.

My suggestion is to get your Robin and Nino to level 20 and preview their 4-star level-1 stats to see what your stat rolls are, then decide from there.

OK, after some grinding, here they are, both at level 20.

Robin (M) seems to have -HP, the rest is medium, but I have not equipped Blárraven on him (that should be +1 Mt).

Nino has +spd but -res, with Gronnblade equipped.

Am I reading this right? What you would do?

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, Pimalai said:

Robin (M) seems to have -HP, the rest is medium, but I have not equipped Blárraven on him (that should be +1 Mt).

Your Robin is −HP, +Atk (Elthunder is 6 Mt, a neutral 4⋆ Robin has 7 base Atk).

I'd hold onto that Nino, too.  If Nino is +Spd (I haven't double checked the numbers), that's a very good Boon for her.  It will allow her to double just about everything.  And -Res doesn't hurt her too much.

Yeah, Nino will maybe be next. But that will be a few weeks from now, as I will have to work on my feathers... and in the meanwhile I will do some summoning, so who knows.

I enjoyed the process of leveling them up, they make a good couple and I see definitely that working along with Eirika and another frontliner (Catria probably).