Nintendo E3 2017

Tolvir

Do recall that Nintendo once said they'd support GameBoy and the DS as separate entities. Of course, the DS brought an end to the GameBoy line. Though seeing how the 3DS is a pure portable and the Switch is a hybrid made to replace the Wii U home console, the 3DS might get a successor.

Does Atlus skip E3? I thought they did.

I was incredibly WTF when I first saw the Super Mario Odyssey trailer- who knew Nintendo still had acid laying around? Looks beautiful though.

I'm afraid from that little clip that XBC2 will have a horrific romance-centered plot, but they could have just selected the worst possible set of quips for the trailer. Also, I'm interested in seeing how Ever Oasis turns out, but please don't make it painfully easy or rudimentary.

I'll be fine with a smidgen of FE Switch details. I'm just hoping to see a major paradigm shift with the game. Excite me.

I doubly want a paradigm shift with Kirby. The KSS gameplay style, though excellent, has exhausted itself after Squeak Squad, KSSU, RtDL, TD and PR. Plus, the latter two have burnt the series out regarding nostalgia blasts. Open world is a major fad nowadays, but if that's the only way of bringing innovation to Kirby, I'll take it over another KSS (which I have very fond memories of from playing it at my grandparents' house as a child).

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Though seeing how the 3DS is a pure portable and the Switch is a hybrid made to replace the Wii U home console, the 3DS might get a successor.

I'm afraid from that little clip that XBC2 will have a horrific romance-centered plot, but they could have just selected the worst possible set of quips for the trailer. Also, I'm interested in seeing how Ever Oasis turns out, but please don't make it painfully easy or rudimentary.

I doubly want a paradigm shift with Kirby. The KSS gameplay style, though excellent, has exhausted itself after Squeak Squad, KSSU, RtDL, TD and PR. Plus, the latter two have burnt the series out regarding nostalgia blasts. Open world is a major fad nowadays, but if that's the only way of bringing innovation to Kirby, I'll take it over another KSS (which I have very fond memories of from playing it at my grandparents' house as a child).

I wouldn't call the 3DS a "pure portable", since nothing stops you from playing it at home. If anything, I'd argue that the Switch fills the role of both the Wii U AND 3DS, making a 3DS successor unlikely.

Between that clip and the visual designs of the characters, the XBC2 trailer gave me anime vibes of the bad kind.

I don't think HAL should abandon KSS gameplay, as it's the strongest IMO, but instead make a deeper, more challenging game. So basically, get Treasure or Retro Studios to develop it. But if it's open-world you want, check out Kirby and the Amazing Mirror on the Virtual Console.

Certainly wouldn't mind seeing more on the Fire Emblem stuff. And here's to hoping Caeda will finally make it to Smash.

Also, I came across the above video the other day discussing the future of Golden Sun. I wonder if there is going to be anything new with Golden Sun - I wish that would be the case and that a fourth title comes to the Switch, though the chances seems sadly unlikely as the above video indicates...

Ah Golden Sun, I loved the original. My memories of the sequel aren't as good and I only played through it once. I played through DD twice, and yeah it wasn't great.

Salvaging the plot of DD will require a metric ton of work, it'd need a miracle to make GS4's plot and writing succeed.

Gameplay wise, we need difficulty settings right off the bat, nerfs to summon rushing and unleashes, an Intelligence stat to boost all the pathetically weak offensive psynergy not Ragnarok and the like, and ingame encouragement to mix up your characters' classes.

I can't find it now, but on Youtube they had a video of one of the battle themes with a still image of Issac, Felix, Ivan and Piers arranged in a post-battle victory scene like they were in a Tales game. I loved it and actually wouldn't mind a Tales-styled combo remake of 1&2. Plus, it'd allow for the flat characters of GS to get a little more development.

Keep the psynergy puzzles though- they're a strong suit of the series and I can't get enough of them.

• 1 month later...

I hope that they show off as many good games as they imply they are by their "big plans".  I definitely want to see FE Warriors and FE Switch and especially SMT Switch.

I also expect to see more of Super Mario Odyssey, since that actually looks rather interesting.  I wouldn't mind seeing a new 3D Kirby platformer, though I wouldn't expect it.

They gotta make it big, the Switch is fresh in the market and is selling well. To keep up this momentum, we need to see more games announced. I'm expecting updates on games we know about, mostly Super Mario: Odyssey, FE Warriors, Splatoon 2, Arms, and some others from Nintendo. Come on Nintendo, announce Pokemon Stars already. SE will likely talk about their own games coming too, as well as some other Japanese third parties. I'd really like to see some surprising third party announcements, but within reason of course (RDR2 is unlikely). As for surprise Nintendo announcements, I expect to see Retro's game, and that Rabbids crossover which has me questioning the concept. Someone asked them what they were cooking up, and they replied with a picture with prime ribs. Metroid Prime 4 confirmed. Maybe we'll see some old IPs aside from Metroid brought back too, who knows? I expect some 3DS games, smaller in comparison, but definitely there. There's been a lot of talk and heavily convincing rumours of Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga DX for the 3DS. Maybe that will make an appearance. Personally, I would absolutely kill for a new Monster Hunter announced exclusively for the Switch. That and Pokemon would sell Switches insanely.

Edited by DragonLord

I think the announcement that IS is moving on from the 3DS(At least in regards to Fire Emblem) shows that the 3DS may actually be more on the way out than we think. I'll be surprised if we see any 3DS announcements that end with "Coming 2018" from Nintendo proper. If anybody is going to continue work on the 3DS, it'll probably be all third party.

I expect more Switch focus.

Edited by Slumber

On 4/3/2017 at 11:57 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm afraid from that little clip that XBC2 will have a horrific romance-centered plot, but they could have just selected the worst possible set of quips for the trailer.

The first game started out as a basic revenge plot fueled by romance, and the title theme even got re-arranged as Shulk and Fiora's theme. The issue there is that Fiora gets a lot less screentime and development outside of Heart-to-Hearts, making her a two-dimensional satellite character towards Shulk. The translated info for XB2 has a lot of tantalizing tidbits, and even if the game goes a romantic route I'd hope for it to be better than the first one in that regard.
Though really, pretty much any reaction towards XB2 right now, positive or negative, is knee-jerk.

Anyways, as for what I expect:
-Super Mario Odyssey
-Splatoon 2
-Multiplayer Kirby game
-Xenoblade 2
-FEWarriors
-Ever Oasis
-Nindies
-3rd party Switch ports yet to be fully shown (looking at you, Skyrim)

Maybes:
-Pokemon (either Stars on Switch or DP remakes on 3DS)
-Smash 4 Switch port (heavily rumored)
-Monster Hunter XX localization (series producer teased a Switch port, and an early 2018 Western release on both Switch and 3DS would match 3U's Wii U/3DS release in early 2013)
-Some solid info on FESwitch (again, depending on how gutsy they're feeling and whether or not FEW is meant to stay front and center)

Honestly I just want to see more Switch content in general while I'm dying to get my hands on Zelda BoTW there just isn't enough out right now for me to get one.  I'm hoping that changes later this year. 

So here's the things that i'm expecting from Nintendo's E3 this year

• Super Mario Odyssey
  • Fire Emblem Warriors
  • Fire Emblem Switch
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Sonic Forces
  • Pikmin 4 (this game was confirmed to be in development)
  • Sonic Mania
  • Indie game showcase
  • Unannounced Switch games and Nintendo 3DS games

Speaking of the Indie game showcase, Inti Creates teased two big announcements this year, one for the summer and one for the winter. I'm hoping that summer announcement is Azure Striker Gunvolt 3. I mean, i'm just hoping for Gunvolt 3 on the Switch in general.

IF Xenoblade 2 ends up releasing this year, I sure hope it isn't released close to Odyssey. Because it is, sorry Mario, but Xenoblade takes priority for me. 

Edited by Armagon

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been following Nintendo as closely as I used to since the Wii U is a dead console and I don't have a switch yet, but I'm sure the 3DS will have a few last hurrahs in store for us this year and maybe next year. I would actually be really excited to see another brand new IP seeing as Splatoon was great and ARMS looks fun, Nintendo's mentality of pushing the boundaries and taking risks is the best sort of mindset to make new games not tied down by franchise conventions if there ever was one. I'd also like to see more Nintendo collaborations with third parties to get more exclusives or possibly more crossovers between franchises, I want a Fire Emblem X Soulcalibur game sooooo bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Nintendo of Canada claims the presentation will last "around" 30 minutes before the Treehouse broadcast begins

This is, of course, an improvement over last year in which Nintendo had 0 minutes of a presentation, relying only on Treehouse to present demos. Still, is 30 minutes enough material for a satisfying showcase? Will they devote time to 3DS titles or have recent directs and trailers communicated that the presentation will be 100% Switch?

17 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Nintendo of Canada claims the presentation will last "around" 30 minutes before the Treehouse broadcast begins

This is, of course, an improvement over last year in which Nintendo had 0 minutes of a presentation, relying only on Treehouse to present demos. Still, is 30 minutes enough material for a satisfying showcase? Will they devote time to 3DS titles or have recent directs and trailers communicated that the presentation will be 100% Switch?

Depends. I'm guessing it'll be all trailers for first party stuff.

All the big companies do about 30 minutes of trailers, 30 minutes of gameplay demos(Including third parties), 30 minutes of shit that has nothing to do with games, and 30 minutes of autofellatio.

Nintendo will save the gameplay demos and autofellatio for Treehouse.

27 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Nintendo will save the gameplay demos and autofellatio for Treehouse.

No Usher performance? :(

Yeah, I think quality of games is more key than quantity. Zelda carried them last year on its own. Not just Treehouse but the dozens of journalists and youtubers all served to drive home to viewers how many ways there are to play the game. I don't think Super Mario Odyssey can strike that sort of gold with its genre, but I hope they're really considering how to showcase these high profile titles. And with invitational tournaments being streamed for splatoon, arms, and Pokken, I don't think they need to devote conference time for any of those since we're already so familiar with what they are. And if they do, stick entirely to new, interesting information about them.

I don't think people need to be doom and gloom about this conference, but I do think the stakes are higher this year. The first conference of Switch games is more important than the last conference for Wii U games. They need to laser focus on why people should buy the system.

Obviously, it'll be an "all you can Mario" buffet, so I'm sure we'll be getting lots of news on that.  I'm not the biggest Mario fan in the world, but hey...  Mario Odyssey looks all fun and good.

Since Zelda had its game released a few months ago, the most I'd expect (or even want) would be them giving details on its DLC.

FE Warriors will probably get its due, either at the presentation or Treehouse, or both.  I expect a trailer that shows some story and gameplay at least, even if it's really short.  Though I already talked in length about it in another thread, so I won't get really into it.

I would also like to see FE Switch at the presentation.  Really, anything FE is good by me.  Even amiibo, which I don't even have or care to buy.  However, given that their MO seems to be "focus on one FE at a time" (see; the dry spell with FE Warriors), they'll probably wait until it's the only FE game left on their list, so...  But I mean, it'd be nice if we at least knew the title.

I'd also love if Metroid came back to life.

It's now 25 minutes based on a Japanese page from Nintendo. If they announce things quickly with no filler, it can still work out. I am still puzzled why they choose to make it so short. They need to have a good E3 presence after all.

1 hour ago, DragonLord said:

It's now 25 minutes based on a Japanese page from Nintendo. If they announce things quickly with no filler, it can still work out. I am still puzzled why they choose to make it so short. They need to have a good E3 presence after all.

That's really weird to me. One would think they'd want to take their time to knock this out of the park, seeing as they have a new console and all, but I guess an increased length wouldn't guarantee a quality showcase. 

Aside from fun surprises, what I want the most is info on the Virtual Console.

Only 30 minutes? That's rather lame. Some Nintendo Directs have been longer than that (almost 50 minutes at times). :/

Oh well, I can still hope for a certain few things. My biggest wishes are:

FE Warriors
FE Switch
Super Mario Odyssey
Zelda: Skyward Sword HD for Switch (I don't really think it NEEDS a remake, but damn would I love to play SS on the go and in Switch quality graphics! Besides, TP got the HD treatment and it didn't really need it. xP)
A new Luigi's Mansion game
Super Smash Bros. Switch
New Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon details (to hopefully get me more interested in them, because right now, I don't have much)

The only ones out of these I 100% expect though, are Super Mario Odyssey and FE Warriors. xP

EDIT: Now it's only 25 minutes? Wow, really lame. RIP Nintendo E3 this year...

Edited by Anacybele

Dang.  25 minutes?  That's weird...

Although, I honestly don't know what else they could possibly have up their sleeves besides Super Mario Odyssey.  I don't think they're going to talk a whole lot about ARMS or Splatoon 2 since their release dates are rather close now...

With that in mind, I'm wondering how much focus they're going to put on second or third-party titles and franchises like Fire Emblem and Megami Tensei.  Of course, there's always the remote possibility of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch, a franchise reboot, or something else completely new and unexpected.

The prospect of a VC announcement has me nervous. I don't remember VC being well received when it was announced for Wii U. Not only do we have to rebuy games we may have had on Wii, but there was no cross play with 3DS VC. Even though there were now Nintendo network IDs and account information that was shared on the two systems. This is something even the Playstation systems got right between PS3, PS4, and the Vita.. I'm expecting the Switch also won't be charitable in letting you play your old catalogue. So with that in mind, is there any way a VC announcement could be seen as a win? Maybe this info isn't in the cards for E3.

Don't get me wrong, I want VC on Switch as soon as possible. Two of my new favorite classic games are Castlevania NES and Super Punch Out, which I enjoyed on a Wii U gamepad. The Switch is a better version of that controller. But if they ask us to buy some of these games for a third or fourth time, then they should be considering new price points and having as big of a library as possible available from the start.

I really hope they don't bother talking about VC or Online features if they do plan to, in the Spotlight. They can do it during the Treehouse Live, or anytime after. I just don't want to lose time for new games to be shown, we only have what seems to be 25 minutes after all. 

Edited by DragonLord

Oh, I just remembered something else I could put: Paper Mario on the Switch! I really want that. :D And it's been awhile since Color Splash released.

But make it more like SPM or Color Splash. Everybody and their mother seemed to hate Sticker Star. I skipped it because it looked bad to me. But I loved Color Splash! The only things I would improve upon in it would be less generic Toad overload, pretty much. Oh, and there should be new bosses. I like the Koopalings, but they'll grow boring and stale if they're used repeatedly. I'd also love it if I could play as Luigi again like in SPM. That one is still the only title in the series where you can play as someone other than Mario...

Edited by Anacybele

On 3/29/2017 at 11:33 PM, Jedi said:

Reggie stated the 3DS will remain supported for quite awhile still.

I'm really happy it is.

Call me nuts, but I'm not really a console guy. I caved in and got the switch only because it was portable, but as a portable I'm really dissatisfied. It's just too damn big. I think it's a nice console, but I'm probably going to sell mine once the wife is done playing Zelda. Long live the DS line, which was quite frankly the best.

Games I'm looking forward to:

Ultra Sun
Ever Oasis
Hey! Pikmin
Monster Hunter Stories
EOV
FE Warriors
DQ XI

& Vita
Bloodstained
YS VIII

I'm not ready for the 3DS to die. I'm a bit sad that the gaming community as a whole has just said, "Switch is here, 3ds is magically shit now who cares." No wonder this industry can't keep up and satisfy the consumer base.

Edited by ChibiToastExplosion

Almost time! :D About ten more minutes!

I hope for a bunch of good Switch titles!

EDIT: Oh wait, it's actually tomorrow. Oops. Nevermind... I could've sworn the last time I checked the time it said the 12th though...

Edited by Anacybele