Just got this game and I like it a lot so far.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sorry, I didn't mean that I disagreed with white magic being healing. I meant that I disagreed that IS didn't need to make it a little more obvious that it IS healing. Because I had no idea and maybe other players didn't either. They shouldn't just assume that every FE player has played Final Fantasy or something.

And yeah, that comment about twisting words was a general statement directed mainly at people who were making fun of me.

But really, conflicts like this is why I've stopped bothering with friendship or conversing heavily with people I don't already know well. I just get made fun of or end up getting into an argument or some other crap. I can't ever seem to have friendly relations with people because it turns into an argument or something. I don't even intentionally make that happen (why would I?). I'll do my best to keep the friends I already have, but I won't be making anymore of them. Don't need the trouble in my life. I'm better off without it.

Now then, I'm still waiting for this thread to be locked... I guess eclipse hasn't been online yet or maybe doesn't have control over this section.

While you're not wrong about that per se, there is a fine line between making things more apparent and the game holding your hand for however long it takes for the player to get it. Gaiden is the black sheep of the series because it takes more from RPGs than any other entry, with Echoes continuing that. To those who are generally well versed in RPGs, RPG-like games, at least have played one before, or at least familiar with how they work, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that they would figure that out if they didn't know already, as there are some things that are kind of self-explanatory. In many games, while they may not outright call it White/Black magic, the concept is still very much alive and present. Now that you do know, hopefully you won't be forgetting anytime soon

Thats a very unfortunate turn of events and I honestly feel sorry for you. To at least help steer you into the right direction, perhaps it would help to practice being a little more emotionally aloof. Meaning, even in a situation where you are or can reasonably believe to take offense, be above that. Doing so helps to maintain a leveled head where one would otherwise clap back and is something I like to do particularly when on the internet, since nowadays anything that could possibly ruin someone's inner peace is but a click away. 'Course, its not fool proof and even I've made the same mistakes as you have at some point, but it helps overall

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sorry, I didn't mean that I disagreed with white magic being healing. I meant that I disagreed that IS didn't need to make it a little more obvious that it IS healing. Because I had no idea and maybe other players didn't either. They shouldn't just assume that every FE player has played Final Fantasy or something.

Allow me to repeat myself.

You had tried to heal before, correct? I imagine you, like most FE players, stood next to a unit, pressed A, and options came up. If you didn't know how to heal, why did you ignore the only (or second) option you knew nothing about? The only other possible options aside from the convoy were B. Magic (which only appears when near an enemy if you have Nosferatu), Items, and Wait. You could have at least made an effort to check both magic options; I'm certain many who did not know about white magic would.

And if you were somehow still too afraid to use those options, then the game has a built-in guide. Not the electronic instruction manual (although that works too), but the guide at the pause menu. If you aren't sure how a basic mechanic works, it doesn't hurt to consult your resources.

13 minutes ago, Motendra said:

While you're not wrong about that per se, there is a fine line between making things more apparent and the game holding your hand for however long it takes for the player to get it. Gaiden is the black sheep of the series because it takes more from RPGs than any other entry, with Echoes continuing that. To those who are generally well versed in RPGs, RPG-like games, at least have played one before, or at least familiar with how they work, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that they would figure that out if they didn't know already, as there are some things that are kind of self-explanatory. In many games, while they may not outright call it White/Black magic, the concept is still very much alive and present. Now that you do know, hopefully you won't be forgetting anytime soon

Thats a very unfortunate turn of events and I honestly feel sorry for you. To at least help steer you into the right direction, perhaps it would help to practice being a little more emotionally aloof. Meaning, even in a situation where you are or can reasonably believe to take offense, be above that. Doing so helps to maintain a leveled head where one would otherwise clap back and is something I like to do particularly when on the internet, since nowadays anything that could possibly ruin someone's inner peace is but a click away. 'Course, its not fool proof and even I've made the same mistakes as you have at some point, but it helps overall

Oh yeah, I don't mean that the game should totally hold your hand, I said that before. But I suppose I'm not super familiar with all those RPGs. And no, I won't be forgetting as long as I play Echoes.

I do try to be above that. Whenever I feel like someone is flaming or insulting me or whatever, I try my best to be the bigger and more mature person instead of taking the bait and being an immature brat about it. But I still get called childish or immature and I've yet to understand why, and I hate this because I know I used to really be an immature brat and ever since I've seriously wanted to steer away from that. It caused me a lot of trouble and I wish I hadn't realized my mistakes as late as I did.

47 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Hey @Anacybele, I got some questions for the game that it could be helpful.

1. Which characters are your favorite in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia?
  2. For Celica's Route in Act 3, to pick Deen or Sonya for Celica's party (Deen is in the Northern Desert and Sonya is in the Southern Desert), which of the two do you prefer to pick to be kept alive while you fight the other one? Deen has the Brave Sword, he is a Myrmidon, & Deen has a support with Jesse, and Sonya has the Excalibur spell, she is a Mage, she has a support with Genny, and she is the youngest daughter of Jedah that didn't turned into a Witch by Duma like her two sisters.
  3. What Arts Combat Skill is your favorite so far?
  4. Did you know that Valbar has the same voice actor as Frederick?
  5. What do you think of Berkut and Frenand (the two added villains in the game) so far?

Um... Sorry, but it's way too early to be asking me these... I've barely played the game and don't know who any of those characters are. I've seen Sonya and Deen mentioned in the forum by name, but that's it.

Nice to know that Kyle Hebert is still voicing FE characters tho!

Edited by Anacybele

38 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I do try to be above that. Whenever I feel like someone is flaming or insulting me or whatever, I try my best to be the bigger and more mature person instead of taking the bait and being an immature brat about it. But I still get called childish or immature and I've yet to understand why, and I hate this because I know I used to really be an immature brat and ever since I've seriously wanted to steer away from that. It caused me a lot of trouble and I wish I hadn't realized my mistakes as late as I did.

It's okay, life is about constantly maturing. We never really fully mature; we just get a little wiser and more mature as time goes on. I'm 27 and I have matured a ton, and recognize that I have a long way to go. Please don't judge everyone else so harshly.

You've gotten a taste of echoes, so as you move forward keep in mind that it only gets "worse" from here on out. It may not be for you in the end, but try not to make a thread about how you are really loving Echoes and then by the next post say it's awful, bad game design, I hate it. If you do, that's perfectly okay - but I was hoping for a thread of positivity, which is something every FE game sorely needs in this land of pessimists.

FE may not have the worst fanbase, but it certainly is the most pessimistic.

19 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

It's okay, life is about constantly maturing. We never really fully mature; we just get a little wiser and more mature as time goes on. I'm 27 and I have matured a ton, and recognize that I have a long way to go. Please don't judge everyone else so harshly.

You've gotten a taste of echoes, so as you move forward keep in mind that it only gets "worse" from here on out. It may not be for you in the end, but try not to make a thread about how you are really loving Echoes and then by the next post say it's awful, bad game design, I hate it. If you do, that's perfectly okay - but I was hoping for a thread of positivity, which is something every FE game sorely needs in this land of pessimists.

FE may not have the worst fanbase, but it certainly is the most pessimistic.

Oh, I wasn't meaning to judge others. Sorry if it came off that way.

Well, I can't help it if I liked it at first and then started not liking it later... But sorry. I was hoping for a thread of positive posts too. I didn't at all expect that I'd suddenly start disliking the game for any reason.

54 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Um... Sorry, but it's way too early to be asking me these... I've barely played the game and don't know who any of those characters are. I've seen Sonya and Deen mentioned in the forum by name, but that's it.

Nice to know that Kyle Hebert is still voicing FE characters tho!

What Act and Map are you on right now?

And also, I forgot to mentioned about Silque, Genny, and Tatiana does have Invoke Spell that can cast more allied Illusion units. Genny can summoned Illusionary Soldiers, Silque can summoned Illusionary Dread Fighters, and Tatiana can summoned Illusionary Pegasus Knights. And I think those are the only three Clerics/Saints that can use the Invoke spell.

Edited by King Marth 64

5 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

What Act and Map are you on right now?

And also, I forgot to mentioned about Silque, Genny, and Tatania does have Invoke Spell that can cast more allied Illusion units. Genny can summoned Illusionary Soldiers, Silque can summoned Illusionary Dread Fighters, and Tatania can summoned Illusionary Pegasus Knights. And I think those are the only three Clerics/Saints that can use the Invoke spell.

Since I practically just started, Act 1... Only just got out of the first dungeon.

Sorry about the double post, but I'd just like to say that I'm highly considering restarting after all given some of the advice and apparent "bad" mistakes I made...

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

If you're only in Act 1, then things can't have gone that awry. And worse comes to worse a little grinding can fix things. My first run was for the most practically blind- being optimal isn't necessary. Don't get hung up on what others suggest.

So I don't HAVE to start over and make Tobin an archer instead of a cav and Faye a Cleric instead of a Peg knight? I just hope I won't find the later parts of the game too hard to beat.

I actually used Faye as a Pegasus Knight, she was unusually slow, but very strong (plus at a certain point Falco Knights are awesome). And some say Tobin makes a better Sage anyhow (I went Mercenary). The only issue will be the absence of ranged healing for a long time- but again, it can be dealt with, and I did. You could always throw someone a food item if they didn't mind not having a weapon (or maybe give them to mages or units who won't be be fighting much so you don't always have to run back to Alm to access the convoy). Plus, for in-dungeon battles are kinda short and I didn't end up healing during them all too often.

Worse comes to absolute worse, if you have online access, you can download a free Pitchfork through Mila's Bounty and convert somebody to Villager again using it and quickly grind up for whatever you need (there should be second Pitchfork available once June 8th arrives). 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

26 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

So I don't HAVE to start over and make Tobin an archer instead of a cav and Faye a Cleric instead of a Peg knight? I just hope I won't find the later parts of the game too hard to beat.

Nah, you'll be fine. A little bit of grinding goes a long ways too if you start to have some issues. If you start to have some issues just backtrack a bit and do some side quests in dungeons and fight some random spawns. Dungeons can also spawn rare enemies that can give some nice stuff, like rusted weapons that can be turned into stuff like Luna, Astra, etc. Also, forging does a lot too. If you are having issues, especially in terms of damage, forging can help a lot. 

If you are interested in any dlc, the Astral Temple and Inner Sanctum are worth the price. Good xp, can sell items for money, and have a chance for rare items like Luna and star shards which increase growth rates when held. You get all 12 shards and a pearl and they can be turned into a star sphere, which increases growth rates by a flat 30 across the board. Doesn't sound like much, but it's enough to really turn anyone into a beast. Out of all of it, those two are the only ones I considered buying.

Edited by Tolvir

Okay, I see. I AM interested in DLC, but not at the moment. It's a money thing, honestly. I technically have plenty, but I no longer have an income since I had to leave my job back in February when we moved and I haven't been able to get a new job yet. If I just spend without much consideration, I'll make myself broke.

I probably will do some backtracking and all if I feel a unit or two is lagging behind or something.

So, I beat that map I had trouble on this time. Making Kliff a mage did help. In fact, it more than helped. He not only killed the Leather Shield mercenary dude, he fucking criticaled him! Talk about wanting to get the job done. o.o

Which reminds me, is it just me, or are critical quotes really uninteresting this time? I miss the awesome ones from Awakening. Though stuff like "Pick a god and pray!" is pretty hard to compete with. :P

Edited by Anacybele

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Which reminds me, is it just me, or are critical quotes really uninteresting this time? I miss the awesome ones from Awakening. Though stuff like "Pick a god and pray!" is pretty hard to compete with. :P

The past ones were much better. Many of the ones here are like 2 or 3 basic words. Kind of disappointing but there are a good few.

Ah, I see. Oh well, the characters can be entertaining enough anyway.

Is Gray a womanizer? He's into rescuing girls after Clair is mentioned. lol His and Tobin's conversations on the matter are pretty funny.

I think I like Lukas best so far though. I dunno what it is about him, maybe it's his voice since it's Greg Chun who also replaced Jason Adkins as Ike's voice in Heroes. And it's deep. And he's kinda cute. Though the voice acting itself could be a BIT better in a few places for him. But there's just something I totally like about this guy.

Good thing I actually pulled him in Heroes! At 4 star, but still.

46 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I feel like they're kinda short and simple for both Japanese and English. There are still some I really like though.

15 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I think I like Lukas best so far though. I dunno what it is about him, maybe it's his voice since it's Greg Chun who also replaced Jason Adkins as Ike's voice in Heroes. And it's deep. And he's kinda cute. Though the voice acting itself could be a BIT better in a few places for him. But there's just something I totally like about this guy.

Good thing I actually pulled him in Heroes! At 4 star, but still.

Lukas is definitely my favorite. That voice and he's such a nice character.

3 minutes ago, KongDude said:

Lukas is definitely my favorite. That voice and he's such a nice character.

Yeah, that might be it. That deep voice is smexy. I always like me a good deep male voice. It's a reason I like Lon'qu and Travis Willingham. :P And Lukas is indeed a really nice guy! Seems so chivalrous without being uptight and boring! Which was always my kind of thing.

Edited by Anacybele

Some more tips for mages

- Mages don't equip weapons and learn combat arts, so handing them a shield can allow you to use them more freely as they sling spells on the frontlines.

- Spells have weight! highlight them to see how much. Speed is a critical stat for mages to avoid getting doubled.

- Mages default to their fire spell on enemy phase. The other spells are limited to just player phase.

- you eventually find rings that restore health each turn. Another great choice for mages

- mages don't have a third tier promotion like other classes, but they promote very late. Male mages need to be level 12 while female mages need to be level 14. Each gender has a separate promotion class.

- you'll find fountains that grant experience instead of a single stat. They grant precisely 100 exp to a unit. I like to save these fountains until my mages are a high level (and thus not earning much exp). 

Edited by Gustavos

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, that might be it. That deep voice is smexy. I always like me a good deep male voice. It's a reason I like Lon'qu and Travis Willingham. :P And Lukas is indeed a really nice guy! Seems so chivalrous without being uptight and boring! Which was always my kind of thing.

If you're really interested in Lukas, he does have a DLC support with Python and Forsyth that can be unlocked by completing one of the Rise of the Deliverance DLC maps and Clair & Mathilda and Clive + Python & Forsyth does have one as well also. I think it's the Outpost Rescue map if I recall that can unlock Lukas's support conversation with Python and Forsyth.

And also, I forgot to mentioned that Lukas is actually the first Soldier unit and the first playable Soldier unit that appeared in the entire franchise. Soldiers does promote to Knight, which Knights is a promoted class in Gaiden & Echoes: Shadows of Valentia and it's third tier class is the Baron. Barons did reappeared in Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776 as enemy only classes.

Edited by King Marth 64

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I think you should wait to pass judgment on that until you get more characters - I thought they were just as good if not better in Echoes.

Echoes definitely has Awakening beat with victory quotes. My personal fave is Jesse's "Wait for me in hell, buddy!"

Lukas stay rerelevant untl the end of the game on Alm's route, so you can look forward to this, at least.

For me Gaiden/Echoes is kinda like Genealogy : It's not that hard, but it's so different compared to the other games on the series, it takes some time to get used to.

My main advice would be not to rush things. Observe ennemies' ranges, terrain effect, and take your time.

Weapons and Shield can give you some special skills, so dn't hesitate to use them when necessary. 

99% of the bosses does move, so be carefull about that too. (Notably in the end of Part 1, when you can be destroyed if unprepared.)

On topic of critical quotes, I agree they aren't exactly stellar in this game. However, SoV has the "Ready for battle" quotes which most definitely make up for it, like "Easy pickings", "I'm ready to roll", and my favorite, "Oh, yeah, I'm so hyper!"  

I am going to give you this tip now. If your main focus is for completing the story, promote ASAP. Gaining levels in Echoes psot level 10 is substantially harder than in other games which means if you don't grind, you would likely have not fully promote units by the end of Act 3/4. Post game is slightly different (if you get dlc you should be fine cause overclasses) as gaining the stats is very important and waiting for level 20/20 is best for units. So if you focus on the main campaign, promote asap (when the message that your unit can promote appears), and if you want to focus for the post game, I would grind to level 20(however you are playing on normal so you might be fine promoting asap for the post game)