Pokemon Direct 6/6

Emerson

HJHDJSFDSJF

Took them long enough! Come on Pokemon, did you forget this is normally a May thing for you?

Anyways, according to the Nintendo Direct page, it's only about 8 minutes long, so there's no doubt it's an announcement for 1 or maybe 2 games.

Things announced:

Pokken Tournament Deluxe (DX) for the Nintendo Switch (September 22nd, 2017)

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Pokemon Ultra Moon for the Nintendo 3DS (November 17th, 2017)

Pokemon Gold and Pokemon Silver for the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console (September 22nd 2017)

Full Direct, contains all 32 minutes of nothing.

Will update with the actual version once they put it out.

Edited by Emerson

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm, guess Game Freak prankd me. They really waited until after May. Ha, do you think they'd devote such a short direct to advertising their sweet mobile game lineup rather than any mainline games? I wonder...

Probably not. At least Pokemon Go never appeared in a Direct, just independently produced trailers. Presumably because Nintendo gets a very small or nonexistant cut of earnings from those titles. My money's on Stars or DP remakes. Somehow I feel like it being available on both Switch and 3DS is the most likely scenario. Especially in Stars' case due to lack of touch screen mechanics.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

DP remakes on 3DS and GSC on the E-shop. Calling it now.

I've never hoped for you to be wrong more. Even though I love Platinum, I've got zero desire to leave Alola just yet, unless it's for a brand new region that's made even better. I want more Ultra Beast action, dammit!

9 minutes ago, Thane said:

I've never hoped for you to be wrong more. Even though I love Platinum, I've got zero desire to leave Alola just yet, unless it's for a brand new region that's made even better. I want more Ultra Beast action, dammit!

I'd prefer Stars, but the facts that SM had their share of teases for Sinnoh, this year is the games' 10th anniversary, and that Gamefreak isn't above going for a "surprise" move to eek more out from the userbase of a console in its twilight (BW2)-- coupled with dev comments on how they'd "have to" take the games in a different direction on the Switch --makes me think that Gen 4 remakes are a very real possibility and Stars may just be a rumor.

Edited by The DanMan

Oh yay!

I predict either Diamond and Pearl remakes for the Switch or the rumored Pokemon Stars also for the Switch! Or maybe both. :O The 3DS is dying, so I'd rather the next new Pokemon games be for the Switch, with Pokemon Bank possibly being brought over with them as well.

I've lost hope that Detective Pikachu will ever release out here. Sucks that we didn't get that game.

But I better keep filling up my Diamond and Platinum Pokedexes! I played through Diamond back in October in anticipation for remakes and finished the main story, but didn't work much on the dex. My Platinum file from seven years ago lol also needed work. Not going to bother with Pearl though, Diamond and Platinum are enough. :P I prefer Diamond over Pearl because Dialga > Palkia imo and Stunky/Skuntank > Glameow/Purugly. Oh, and blue >>>>>>>>> pink.

Also, just minutes after I booted up that Platinum file for the first time in years, I GOT A SHINY PIDGEY. lol I already evolved her and want to transfer her to Sun and get the Pidgeotite for her since her nature is pretty good!

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, The DanMan said:

I'd prefer Stars, but the facts that SM had their share of teases for Sinnoh, this year is the games' 10th anniversary, and that Gamefreak isn't above going for a "surprise" move to eek more out from the userbase of a console in its twilight (BW2)-- couple with dev comments on how they'd "have to" take the games in a different direction on the Switch --makes me think that Gen 4 remakes are a very real possibility and Stars may just be a rumor.

I for sure think "Stars" is a rumor, I'm just choosing to ignore all of the teases and hints for Sinnoh because I'm not too fond of remakes, and I see little point in remaking the fourth generation right now since it was on the DS and introduced the physical/special split.

Put it another way, I'm pretty much covering my ears while going "lalala" because the likely future doesn't coincide with my preferences.

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire missed the 10 year anniversary by two years. And Gen 4 was released in 2006 for Japan, which is the date you'd use for an anniversary. Not that that's solid evidence this isn't gen 4 remakes, just saying there currently isn't a ten year anniversary trend to expect anymore. There also hasn't been a "third version" trend since gen 4 so we're really disadvantaged on what to expect.

Edited by Gustavos

Honestly, I am hoping whatever they decide to do that it will be on the Switch and only the Switch.... I wouldn't complain if they put something on the 3ds, but i feel like they should move on at this point. 

And as always, I am hoping for a sequel to the Colosseum and XD games! And yes, I see the irony of talking about moving on, then hope for a new Orre game. And no, I don't think it will happen :(

21 minutes ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Honestly, I am hoping whatever they decide to do that it will be on the Switch and only the Switch.... I wouldn't complain if they put something on the 3ds, but i feel like they should move on at this point.

This.

Help the Switch by making it only Switch! Encourage people to buy it! 3DS is outta here soon. I get that BW and B2W2 still sold well despite being on the DS at the end of its lifespan (B2W2 even came out when the 3DS was already released), but like I said, encourage people to buy the Switch! It rocks. :D

Although if people are still having trouble finding the damn thing... Well, that's a problem. Nintendo should be better about stock.

Edited by Anacybele

42 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

This.

Help the Switch by making it only Switch! Encourage people to buy it! 3DS is outta here soon. I get that BW and B2W2 still sold well despite being on the DS at the end of its lifespan (B2W2 even came out when the 3DS was already released), but like I said, encourage people to buy the Switch! It rocks. :D

Although if people are still having trouble finding the damn thing... Well, that's a problem. Nintendo should be better about stock.

Besides it would allows them to takes full advantage of the switch. The return of triple battles. Your pokémon walking besides you ! 

Whetehr it's returning back to Alola (One way or another. SM2 would be lovely), a Gen IV remake, or something completely different, it would be a golden opportunityboth for the Switch and Pokémon.

Well, as long as they don't announce that Pokémon will now be available only on mobile, I'm find with whatever announcement they'll make (it's hard not to hype myself, though..)

Edited by Tamanoir

3 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

Besides it would allows them to takes full advantage of the switch. The return of triple battles. Your pokémon walking besides you ! 

Whetehr it's returning back to Alola (One way or another. SM2 would be lovely), a Gen IV remake, or something completely different, it would be a golden opportunityboth for the Switch and Pokémon.

Well, as long as they don't announce that Pokémon will now be available only on mobile, I'm find with whatever announcement they'll make (it's hard not to hype myself, though..)

Yeah, imagine what things like Sinnoh's Underground and contests could be like on the Switch!

I also hope that the original Darkrai and Shaymin events come back in the remakes, as well as an actual release of the Azure Flute for Arceus. I much preferred these events over what we got later. The event Pokemon were just handed to us via Wifi or something, we didn't get an item to go search them out ourselves. I also sadly missed out on most of them because I found out about them too late.

So yeah, Oak's Letter, the Member Card, the Azure Flute, give 'em back, GameFreak!

Also, add an event for Manaphy or make it catchable in the story, since the only way to get it before was through a Pokemon Ranger DS game.

Edited by Anacybele

Maybe I'm a tad selfish but I'm hoping whatever they announce won't be on the switch. I don't have the money to just up and buy one at the moment - the farther I can put off buying one the better. Are they planning on phasing out the 3DS anyway? I'm not a huge fan of fusing console and handheld gaming together. I thought the switch wasn't meant to be the 3DS' successor.

I'm just hoping for GSC on the 3DS eShop honestly.

2 minutes ago, Darros said:

Maybe I'm a tad selfish but I'm hoping whatever they announce won't be on the switch. I don't have the money to just up and buy one at the moment - the farther I can put off buying one the better. Are they planning on phasing out the 3DS anyway? I'm not a huge fan of fusing console and handheld gaming together. I thought the switch wasn't meant to be the 3DS' successor.

I'm just hoping for GSC on the 3DS eShop honestly.

Don't worry, you wouldn't have to buy a Switch right away. The release of the games wouldn't be for months. There are always several months between the announcement of some Pokemon games and their release date.

And yeah, the Switch ISN'T meant to succeed the 3DS, but I do believe the 3DS is starting to be phased out. I recall Nintendo saying something about no longer supporting it next year or something like that.

Plus, GameFreak already said awhile back that they're developing Pokemon games for the Switch. And they only do the main series games. The spinoffs are made by other people.

What if it's Sun 2 Moon 2? They typically only have one set of remakes per console (FR/LG for GBA, HG/SS for DS, OR/AS for 3ds) so I doubt it'll be Diamond and Pearl Remakes (unless they're announced for the Switch), and they haven't done a 3rd version since Platinum. Not sure what they could do for Sun 2 Moon 2 though, the ending of Sun and Moon was pretty solid. It'd be awesome if we get a new Mystery Dungeon game though.

They used have just one generation per console too though, until we got both gen 4 and gen 5 on the DS. But I still think if we get DP remakes, they'll be on the Switch to take advantage of the new hot selling console!

The Switch is shaping up to be my new favorite console ever for its hybrid-ness and awesome design and awesome game lineup, so it'd be even better if it got DP remakes too! They're my favorite gen. :D

Edited by Anacybele

Damn it and I have work tommorow.

I suppose the 7 am is not the North America time lap or something.

I can only hope that if they remake Gen 4, they use Platinum(or at the very least, it's Pokedex) as the base. Remaking these games on the Switch would alleviate the biggest problem with Gen 4, and the reason it's the only gen I don't go back to play, that being it's terribly slow engine. Using D/P's anemic Sinnohdex again would be a crying shame, so I hope they don't make that mistake if they're remaking these games.

Also if you're unwilling to keep SuMo's removal of HMs in a remake, please get rid of fog. That shit was the worst. More than anything though I want a SuMo2 that follows up with Lillie in some way.

I'm just gonna watch this with no expectations. Hyping myself up for what could be anything is a bad idea. Best not to expect and just see.

34 minutes ago, Ether said:

I can only hope that if they remake Gen 4, they use Platinum(or at the very least, it's Pokedex) as the base. Remaking these games on the Switch would alleviate the biggest problem with Gen 4, and the reason it's the only gen I don't go back to play, that being it's terribly slow engine. Using D/P's anemic Sinnohdex again would be a crying shame, so I hope they don't make that mistake if they're remaking these games.

Also if you're unwilling to keep SuMo's removal of HMs in a remake, please get rid of fog. That shit was the worst. More than anything though I want a SuMo2 that follows up with Lillie in some way.

I agree that DP was rather slow gameplay-wise (Platinum fixed that, however) and that its regional dex was pretty lame. Platinum NEEDS to be the base for that.

However, I'm not sure how they'd remove the HMs in the remakes without a lot of tweaking. It's probably possible though, we'll just have to see what happens when/if we do get these remakes.

I'd also love to see Lillie again though, I was sad to see her leave since she was such a good character!

Edited by Anacybele

Well, there are multiple ways they could replace HMs, a lot of it depends on whether they're going to value consistency with the original compared to maintaining new and improved mechanics. Like how they chose to leave customization out of ORAS in favour of bringing back May and Brendan's core designs. Between keeping PokeRide, introducing Key Items to take the place of HMs, having HM moves be TMs instead(and thus swappable), or having the move deleter be accessible early into the game so you aren't stuck with Cut until near the end of the game, there are plenty of ways to alleviate the HM dilemma, and SuMo showed us it's something they're willing to do... the question lies in, are they willing to do it in a remake?

At the very least, we seem to be moving away from Improved third versions in favour of continuations or moving to different regions. Platinum was the last third installment, with B/W2 having entirely different game feel while still improving on B/W's gameplay, and X/Y and ORAS were already their own best versions, without needing to wait for a Z or a Delta Emerald to come out and be the game you wanted to play. It makes the first installments feel better to come back to, unlike in earlier gens where version exclusives aside, there wasn't much of a reason to play the first set of games over the third one.