Lyn and Stefan

Wolf

Well I was bored and I came across a weird thing. Lyn and Stefan both have similar hair color, their final swords have similar names.

Lyn - Mani Katti

Stefan - Vague Katti

Do you guys think it is a coincidence that they are very similar?

Yes. Yes, it's completely coincidental. Most of the names for weapons in Fire Emblem are taken from old mythology, so Katti may just be a recurring theme in, say, tales of Gawain, the knight of the round table. Green hair is very common in Fire Emblem.

Almost every swordmaster type unit has a similar background and looks similar on the field. It saves IS money on having to develop multiple sprites/character models.

OH RILLY!?

Let's check out Radiant Dawn:

Edward - member of the Dawn Brigade, a resistance group. Pretty much without a history/personality.

Zihark - Laguz lover.

Mia - Energetic, prideful mercenary.

Lucia - Most trusted advisor to a queen.

Stefan - Branded, leads a group of other branded.

Well, you wanna get into the fine details, that's fine.

But it's still true. Guy from FE7, and then Mia and Edward and both kind of plucky, nothing matter energetic kid archtypes.

Mia also fits the female swordmaster stereotype they have, which is some woman that's trying to prove she's the toughest bad-ass out there. See: Karla (FE7), Marisa (FE8).

Then you've always got the elusive, mysterious pre-promote swordmaster unit. Nothing much is ever really known about them, they always stick to themselves, and even in conversations, they always seem like they know more than they let on. Karel, Stefan, and Joshua (kind of) fit the bill. Josh is weird in that he's not a promoted swordmaster but fits the M.O.

It's all about character archtypes. They are recycled time and time again in the FE series. See: social knights, young archers, pre-promote Sages, clerics, etc.

It's all about character archtypes. They are recycled time and time again in the FE series. See: social knights, young archers, pre-promote Sages, clerics, etc.

If that's true, there's no reason to complain about Swordmaster personalities.

• 3 weeks later...

If memory serves, Mani Katti means "Moon Blade", while Varg Katti (Vague is a stupid translation) means "Wolf Blade". I could be very mistaken on this, though.

Assuming Katti means Blade, which language idea did it originate from? Just my curiousity.

I haven't a clue. I did (an admittedly half-assed) Google search and got nothing. I'm just going by something I remember reading a long time ago. =/