Mario+Rabbids Kingdom inspired by Fire Emblem&Advance Wars!

Harvey

The game Mario+Rabbids Kingdom made by Nintendo and Ubisoft is actually inspired from playing Fire Emblem and Advance Wars!

From Xavier Manzanares, producer of the game

"We have a lot of inspirations, we knew about Advance Wars—about Fire Emblem. So this crossover with Rabbids and Mario was pushing the limits of what we could do [with SRPGs]. You know, using weapons, and a lot of the thing syou saw today with super attacks... the discussion we had with Nintendo was that this is only something you could have done with Rabbids. Because you're breaking the rules of what we're potentially able to do with Mario."

https://gonintendo.com/stories/286636-mario-rabbids-kingdom-battle-inspired-by-advance-wars-fire-em

I don't know about you but this is the first time that I'm actually seeing devs inspired about Fire Emblem! That's a really good thing if you ask me!

49 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

That is pretty cool! I'm still confused at just how this game is supposed to be played though, even after watching streams of it...

It's basically XCOM, Codename Steam and Valkyria Chronicles.  It's a tactics game.  Position, selecting units and pointing the target in the proper positioning, give your units cover and unleash special attacks when necessary and taking advantage of your limited resource and the environment as much as possible for your specific turn.  It's not much more complicated than that.

1 minute ago, kingddd said:

It's basically XCOM, Codename Steam and Valkyria Chronicles.  It's a tactics game.  Position, selecting units and pointing the target in the proper positioning, give your units cover and unleash special attacks when necessary and taking advantage of your limited resource and the environment as much as possible for your specific turn.  It's not much more complicated than that.

I've never played two of those, and I didn't play much of Codename Steam (not that I didn't like Steam, It just fell down my priority list for buying). So I still don't know what you're talking about.

Edited by Anacybele

5 hours ago, Harvey said:

The game Mario+Rabbids Kingdom made by Nintendo and Ubisoft is actually inspired from playing Fire Emblem and Advance Wars!

From Xavier Manzanares, producer of the game

"We have a lot of inspirations, we knew about Advance Wars—about Fire Emblem. So this crossover with Rabbids and Mario was pushing the limits of what we could do [with SRPGs]. You know, using weapons, and a lot of the thing syou saw today with super attacks... the discussion we had with Nintendo was that this is only something you could have done with Rabbids. Because you're breaking the rules of what we're potentially able to do with Mario."

https://gonintendo.com/stories/286636-mario-rabbids-kingdom-battle-inspired-by-advance-wars-fire-em

I don't know about you but this is the first time that I'm actually seeing devs inspired about Fire Emblem! That's a really good thing if you ask me!

I thought it was more XCOM-inspired, given the interview at E3 where producers commented. I guess it can share inspiration, since they're all gridline turnbased games.

I wasn't hyped until I saw XCOM devs like "Woah man, I wish I proposed this to Nintendo myself!"

I suppose saying it is inspired by Fire Emblem and Advance Wars is more of a way to connect with Nintendo audiences.

As far as I am concerned, it is Nintendo XCOM, with Mario and Rabbids characters. Due to the XCOM similarity alone I am somewhat interested in the title, but I rather pick up XCOM 2 for the PC I own than this game for a Switch I do not have...

Yeah, XCOM is the only thing that really looks at all like what we saw, so it's weird to say those two are inspirations. 

Though I guess they highlighted them because those are Nintendo properties. 

Edited by Slumber

Fire Emblem x Rabbids when?

Anyway, yeah, i have to agree with what Sire and Slumber said. Fire Emblem and Advance Wars were really only said to connect with Nintendo audiences. When people saw Mario+Rabbids for the first time, i'm pretty sure they all thought "this is XCOM" and not "this is Fire Emblem".

Edited by Armagon

Good god these comments.

Look, why does it matter whether the game is more like X-com and less of FE or advance wars? Sure, Xcom is the Fire emblem of the west but to say that the game is more like its borrowed from X-com and not advance wars/FE for that matter is really underwhelming since they just said that they got LOTS of inspirations for the game to happen.

I'm quite happy that some devs were inspired by Fire Emblem or atleast acknowledged the IP so I thought that we're all fans of FE, maybe this might make you guys kinda happy. But I guess that didn't work out.

7 hours ago, Harvey said:

Good god these comments.

Look, why does it matter whether the game is more like X-com and less of FE or advance wars? Sure, Xcom is the Fire emblem of the west but to say that the game is more like its borrowed from X-com and not advance wars/FE for that matter is really underwhelming since they just said that they got LOTS of inspirations for the game to happen.

I'm quite happy that some devs were inspired by Fire Emblem or atleast acknowledged the IP so I thought that we're all fans of FE, maybe this might make you guys kinda happy. But I guess that didn't work out.

You really just are the worst around here.

I'm just gonna take the advice that was given in the other thread, and ignore you from now on.

Edited by Slumber

3 hours ago, Slumber said:

You really just are the worst around here.

I'm just gonna take the advice that was given in the other thread, and ignore you from now on.

Come on...don't be like that. I was trying to make a point here....:(:

13 hours ago, Harvey said:

Good god these comments.

It's not like people are being cynical and saying they don't like the premise. They're just noting that it has more in common with a different series.

----

So when can we have that Advance Wars/Fire Emblem crossover?

1 minute ago, NekoKnight said:

So when can we have that Advance Wars/Fire Emblem crossover?

I'm working on putting the Advance Wars characters in a Fire Emblem game's plot. Modifications have made that... less than what I was expecting at the beginning of the project's life.

But as long as the devs don't actually follow through on that threat to make Advance Wars about shipping (though the idea of flesing out the characters through Tellius-style base conversations is not terrible), I'll take anything.

2 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I'm working on putting the Advance Wars characters in a Fire Emblem game's plot. Modifications have made that... less than what I was expecting at the beginning of the project's life.

But as long as the devs don't actually follow through on that threat to make Advance Wars about shipping (though the idea of flesing out the characters through Tellius-style base conversations is not terrible), I'll take anything.

I was thinking more about FE characters and units with AW gameplay, but that's cool too.

1 minute ago, NekoKnight said:

I was thinking more about FE characters and units with AW gameplay, but that's cool too.

Mine is mainly the literary component (no actual gameplay), so I decided to play to the benefits of literature.

Besides, Wargroove is probably better for Medieval AW- especially since the alternative is dealing with the mess of representation Warriors is going through again.

9 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Besides, Wargroove is probably better for Medieval AW- especially since the alternative is dealing with the mess of representation Warriors is going through again.

I don't think it would be too hard. 4 nations to represent 4 FE worlds and then you could have a villain team with baddies of multiple games (or original characters). The problem with Warriors is they went with recency and popularity over a more balanced representation of the series. Had Warriors swapped out Awakening for Tellius or Elibe, there would be way less complaints.

Edit: It didn't help that Marth's games and Awakening got their fanfare from TMS before.

Edited by NekoKnight

2 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

I don't think it would be too hard. 4 nations to represent 4 FE worlds and then you could have a villain team with baddies of multiple games (or original characters). The problem with Warriors is they went with recency and popularity over a more balanced representation of the series. Had Warriors swapped out Awakening for Tellius or Elibe, there would be way less complaints.

Edit: It didn't help that Marth's games and Awakening got their fanfare from TMS before.

Agreed. But we are talking about the company that looks at Sticker Star and Awakening and says 'I see no problem with doing exactly this again.'

On 8/2/2017 at 9:45 AM, Anacybele said:

I've never played two of those, and I didn't play much of Codename Steam (not that I didn't like Steam, It just fell down my priority list for buying). So I still don't know what you're talking about.

If you like Fire Emblem, I really recommend at least Valkyria Chronicles and Xcom. Xcom is all about Sci Fi and aliens invading the world, Valkyria Chronicles is like World War II meets steampunk.

Its a bit hard to explain them, but instead of the grid map that Fire Emblem uses, it has a little more free movement. In Valkyria's case it is in third person and you move it around like you are actually playing the character. In Xcom's case characters have action points, and certain amounts of movement take up those points, further you move the more you use. It seems like this is going more off of Xcom so it will be similar to the latter. So no grid map like Fire emblem. You dont move through squares, you move a lot more freely.

As far as actual combat goes, cover is key. You want to have your characters hide behind objects in front of you. Boxes, ledges, rocks, walls, etc. The larger the cover, the better. In these games it either reduces the amount of damage you take (valkyria) or reduces your chance of being hit (Xcom). Its kind of like standing in a special tile for Fire Emblem. Except there are a lot more of them and a lot more important.

Tactics will be very different too. Enemies will take cover as well, so you have to use tactics to get them out of cover (typically with grenades and rockets), set up a few people on whats called Overwatch (they shoot at anyone who moves into their line of sight) so they shoot them as they move, flanking, having people on varying levels of elevation, etc.

9 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

Agreed. But we are talking about the company that looks at Sticker Star and Awakening and says 'I see no problem with doing exactly this again.'

IS didn't to exactly the same thing with either one though. Color Splash is way better than Sticker Star and Fates is an improvement over Awakening too, imo. At least gameplay-wise.

13 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

If you like Fire Emblem, I really recommend at least Valkyria Chronicles and Xcom. Xcom is all about Sci Fi and aliens invading the world, Valkyria Chronicles is like World War II meets steampunk.

Its a bit hard to explain them, but instead of the grid map that Fire Emblem uses, it has a little more free movement. In Valkyria's case it is in third person and you move it around like you are actually playing the character. In Xcom's case characters have action points, and certain amounts of movement take up those points, further you move the more you use. It seems like this is going more off of Xcom so it will be similar to the latter. So no grid map like Fire emblem. You dont move through squares, you move a lot more freely.

As far as actual combat goes, cover is key. You want to have your characters hide behind objects in front of you. Boxes, ledges, rocks, walls, etc. The larger the cover, the better. In these games it either reduces the amount of damage you take (valkyria) or reduces your chance of being hit (Xcom). Its kind of like standing in a special tile for Fire Emblem. Except there are a lot more of them and a lot more important.

Tactics will be very different too. Enemies will take cover as well, so you have to use tactics to get them out of cover (typically with grenades and rockets), set up a few people on whats called Overwatch (they shoot at anyone who moves into their line of sight) so they shoot them as they move, flanking, having people on varying levels of elevation, etc.

Meh, no thank you. I don't care for Sci-Fi/aliens or steampunk. I realize Codename Steam is steampunk-ish, but that's rather why it fell down my priority list. Being able to use FE characters in it was also kind of a reason I ever had any interest in it.

10 hours ago, Tolvir said:

While I highly recommend VC (XCOM wasn't really my cup of tea), I don't think it's very similar to FE.

1 hour ago, NekoKnight said:

While I highly recommend VC (XCOM wasn't really my cup of tea), I don't think it's very similar to FE.

Agreed. Even the permadeath in VC is poorly implemented due to the fact that it borrows elements from SD where you can only get new units if some units die.

2 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Not really similar, but if you like the more character centered stories of Fire Emblem and tactical strategy games, then I would recommend it, which was my point. Valkyria Chronicles has a very character centered story and good tactical strategy elements. Though that is pretty much the end of its similarities with FE, it still sort of scratched that itch if you will for myself when I got bored of Awakening after a while.

Edited by Tolvir