I quit driving

Although I'm in relative young age, I'll become a pedrestrian and cyclist from next month on till the rest of my life probably. The reason is that I hate driving.

The only advantage is it saves lots of time.
But on the other hand it's more expensive than using public transports overall and I can't stand the traffic. I always tick off whenever I have a car ahead of me which drives slower than allowed. It's annoying and I have to focus too much on other (idiots) than I should actually. Also repairing is expensive since I don't know anything about the car's technic and I suck in craft. If my car should be stick somewhere, I'd be really screwed.
Funnily I live in the country so I don't really have much experience with city traffic. Never used my car to reach a bigger city. So I guess other people have way more reason to complain than I do.

Train traveling is way more comfortable....... if I have a seat. Can listening to music, reading, playing games... the best way to reach the place of work.
The only disavantages are the longer time of travel and the risk of missing a connection whenever one public transport is delayed.

If robot cars for a moderate price should be out sometime, I'd revise my decision.

Edited by Aya Shameimaru

12 hours ago, Ronnie said:

New York City resident here. MTA > cars.

was a new yawker before college, hoping to come back to NYU for this convenience. you're stranded in long island without a car

Same here, once I moved closer to Sydney CBD, all I have is my bike and my pre-paid transit card. As for a couple of times when I can't go somewhere without a car (which are thankfully not very common), I have asked friends who happen to drive in the same direction take me either there or a train station, and contribute $5 for petrol.

I love driving ;-; I don't have a car with me because I'm about 4 states away so I basically walk everywhere/take the bus/train. The feeling of driving on a nearly empty highway going like 90 mph is great feeling. 

That said, I hate city driving and I have my fair share of roadrage

driving becomes somewhat of a necessity in most of the US because public transportation isn't really reliable and bicycles can be dangerous. plus jobs almost always want you to have "reliable transportation." but honestly, buses and cars are both so slow.
i agree, trains as trains are the best. i don't mean the subway either

On 8/26/2017 at 7:59 AM, Ronnie said:

New York City resident here. MTA > cars.

i grew up in NYC so i agree but since i'm out here in California, i can't say that anymore :(

I've been old enough to drive for over ten years, but I never have.  I'd say 75% of my friends don't drive either.  We all walk and take public transit.  As much as people in my area like to complain about it, it's usually quite reliable.  I live ~20km away from my work and transit gets me there no problem.  I like that I can rest my eyes, listen to music, or play Heroes on my way to and from work. :^_^:  It just feels like free time.

Grocery shopping can be a pain if it's a biiiig shop.  The nearest grocery store is a 10 minute walk away, and I have to work my muscles a lot on the way home... :lol:

1 hour ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Grocery shopping can be a pain if it's a biiiig shop.  The nearest grocery store is a 10 minute walk away, and I have to work my muscles a lot on the way home... :lol:

That's what shopping carts are for. Saves my ass during laundry trips.