L'Arachel. How do you pronounce that?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The apostrephe in L'Arachel's name is a problem to that...

yeah that's what confused me too

i've always just added a "luh" b4 "rachel" and said Luh-rachel, cuz I dont know how to pronounce it either

In that case, there are lot of names you could say "aren't actual names." But it's possible a woman gave birth today and named her new daughter L'Arachel, however you pronounce it.

Someone named their kid Sephiroth.

Sephiroth is even potentially justifiable in the face of opposition as it's a transliteration of a Hebrew word. L'Arachel is new but I would not foresee any legal conflicts with the name. One can easily argue that it derives from Rachel. I do, however, recall a couple in Sweden having difficult naming their child Superman, and another couple (perhaps also from Sweden but I am not entirely certain) being disallowed from naming their child 4REAL because numerals are not considered legal characters for names.

Japan has a few strange Kanji available for use in names. I believe that the characters 韓, 脇, and 爪 are all legal in names as of 1990. One could potentially have a son 韓脇爪 which directly translates as something along the lines of "Korea Armpit Claw" (please don't quote me on that as I'm not entirely certain). I don't know if certain combinations of characters would be disallowed but it could be fun to check into the legalities of naming in Japan, or any other country.

So as to not entirely derail the topic, what languages would allow the use of an L and an apostrophe in front of a word or name? Is French the only possibility or are there other potential languages with which we could try to determine a pronunciation from?

Someone named their kid Sephiroth.

Not only does Sephiroth sound cool, but it also has 1 main pronunciation that most people agree on.

Unlike L'Arachel.

I used to think it was L'Archel also XD.

Doesn't Sephiroth come from the tree of Sefiroth? As said by wist, a Hebrew word.

Also, wouldn't Hawaiin be a language that used apostrophes?

Good show, it has never occurred to me that Hawaii might even have a native language.

According to Wikipedia, the writing system of Hawaiin was invented by Americans. It appears that the apostrophe represents a glottal stop. In Hawaiin, L'Arachel would then be pronounced as... Luh-Awa something or other...?

Yes, I agree we would most likely be safe assuming that L'Arachel is not of Hawaiin origin. That doesn't detract from the fun of playing with an obscure language, though. I was in error for failing to restrict my question to European or Romance languages without regard for other languages which later adopted the Latin alphabet or languages of which I might not be aware of.

Is anybody here knowledgeable of any European languages, other than French, in which L'Arachel would have a legal and definitive pronunciation? Because Spanish is the only mainland European language I have studied, I would not know the answer to this question.

L'Arachel has tattoos of the Hawaiian islands on her stomach.

yes, i know. That is because she lived in Hawaii after moving away from her home in Rausten, and she got drunk one night, and, well, yeah. She's returned since then. But she is still a little drunk.