Favorite "bad" unit

sandmanccl

Ike (natch)

Titania

Gatrie

Elincia

Tauroneo

perhaps Marcia/Makalov/Kieran

I don't know, looks like enough candidates who can use swords, and more, are beating them to a slot, I have several laguz who are locks, and then those last three listed are but a few examples competing for distant backup consideration if for some reason there's any room left.

Lol.

Ike is high up there, yeah, but Titania start with Axes and doesn't get swords 'til she promotes. Gatrie doesn't get swords until HE promotes, Elincia is a much better healer, though Amiti is h4x, and Tauroneo is lolfail.

Edited by Flynn Scifo

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ike is high up there, yeah, but Titania start with Axes and doesn't get swords 'til she promotes. Gatrie doesn't get swords until HE promotes, Elincia is a much better healer, though Amiti is h4x, and Tauroneo is lolfail.

Okay? You don't need to main swords to be among the most worthy of a slot. Titania and Gatrie, fortunately, main a better weapon type. Elincia like Micaiah can provide emergency staffing when she's not fighting. Tauroneo is wtfpwn. Resolve + very good concrete durability + nice endgame AS = wtfpwn. He has a lower chance of going to endgame unlike the other three.......but still a higher chance than the majority of beorc. And he was a lot easier to get to third tier than the majority, so he deserves it.

Lol.

Tauroneo isn't that bad. He starts epic, and admittedly has some bad availability, but he's really fairly decent.

But I disagree with none of the SMs being good. Mia and Zihark are fairly competent characters, and I would use them myself. Edward may be a total failwhore Early game tho, so I don't think he's good. But Mia and Zihark have massive level leads, Mia has stats, and Zihark's affinity is crazy awesome.

Edward is underrated. He has the highest Strength growth of any SM at 60%, and is good everywhere else except fail resistance and average defense. He's one of few usable units in part 1. Zihark starts higher, but Edward can likely pass him up in Strength fairly quickly.

Edward is underrated. He has the highest Strength growth of any SM at 60%, and is good everywhere else except fail resistance and average defense. He's one of few usable units in part 1. Zihark starts higher, but Edward can likely pass him up in Strength fairly quickly.

Meh. Edward has durability problems early game that Zihark doesn't have. Durability is what condemns a lot of DBers... I must say though, the introduction of the Wind Sword makes Edward much more viable. But to me, and I'd say in general, he's more effort than he's worth. :D

I actually brought Edward and Leonardo to the Endgame and they did a good job. They struggled a bit but they managed to pull through.

Last time I played as Edward he turned out great for me. I took him to endgame and he took on four dragons at once with Alondite. He also became #1 on my most kills list. At the same level, Edward is just as good as Zihark, it's up to you if you want to get him there.

On my current playthrough, he's actually REALLY speed screwed :( . I think he's got about 19 or 20 speed and is a level 4 swordmaster. If Edward's considered "bad" then he's my fave "bad" unit but I don't think he's bad. He takes some work but turns out good (except this time) and that's good enough for me.

Edward isn't special. I'm of the opinion no trueblade is good enough to be making the endgame cut.........

You ever taken any of them end-game? They have lower strength than a lot of other guys, true, but make up for it with the Vague Katti (it's super powerful) and they are fast enough to double-attack the final few bosses and their little spirit buddies.

I'm not a fan of swordmasters as a general rule, but trueblades are quite good end-game. Especially Edward, for basically capping every single possible stat.

Tauroneo is considered bad by people that only look at his growths in comparison to other Marshalls, but forget he's rolling around with a Resolve that doesn't take any capacity. True, you can give that to anyone else, but it'll cost them 20 capacity and therefore the ability to equip some other neat skill. He's one of the better guys in the game, if only for that reason. Resolve is THAT hax.

You ever taken any of them end-game? They have lower strength than a lot of other guys, true, but make up for it with the Vague Katti (it's super powerful) and they are fast enough to double-attack the final few bosses and their little spirit buddies.

I'm not a fan of swordmasters as a general rule, but trueblades are quite good end-game. Especially Edward, for basically capping every single possible stat.

Tauroneo is considered bad by people that only look at his growths in comparison to other Marshalls, but forget he's rolling around with a Resolve that doesn't take any capacity. True, you can give that to anyone else, but it'll cost them 20 capacity and therefore the ability to equip some other neat skill. He's one of the better guys in the game, if only for that reason. Resolve is THAT hax.

Plus, Tauroneo is almost Third Tier when you get him. You don't need to do ANYTHING with him for him to be pretty good. But availability is purty bad at first. I say he's nice though. Plus he looks awesome.

@Trueblades. Trueblades are nice endgame. I'd use Mia because Edward doesn't have enough of a lead over her to merit all that work. Plus his durability early game makes me cry tears of horrible PAIN!

Fred just becomes really mediocre very quickly at holding up to anything on the enemy phase as opposed to a lot of characters. He lasts long enough he can fit into deployments here and there as a harmless subsidiary who can one-round stuff like virtually all the high and the other mid tiers, though. If he could use every lance out of the box like every sword, he'd be noticeably instead of marginally or possibly no better than a prepromote like Glade.

The key with Fred is resourcelessness. No need for a Knight Proof, and like with Olwen, still enough room to scroll abuse in a game where everything caps at 20.

Sleuf is puzzling.

He's actually really simple.

1) Put scrolls on. Preferably Heim and Hezul (Mag and HP are the only stats that matter for him)

2) Use staves when desired.

3) Don't promote.

Tahda, extra Restore/Sleep/Silence/Warp/Rewarp user. Why would you neglect that?

• 4 weeks later...
Fire Emblem is made of PE... I find "best" and "worst" units pointless. Even those likely to be the best can easily be screwed all to hell.
1. Characters with worse growths are more likely to be RNG screwed than characters with good growths.

2. Base stats. Some units can actually afford to be RNG screwed and still be useful. This includes some pre-promotes.

3. Units are not just about their growths, they are about usefulness. Some units are bad because they simply can't do much. Some units are excellent, regardless of stats.

4. Also, using stronger weapons will help an RNG screwed character.

As for my vote of what bad character I like the most... I actually have no clue. I'm most fond of J-Gun himself, despite how unoriginal that is.