Why Lyn is likely to be a Navarre clone or at least extremely similar to him

Seazas

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

You are exactly right, it's thanks west's exquisite taste. 

Poor taste, imo. Lyn is very boring.

But if Lyn got in because of CYL, then that means Ike should have too! Otherwise, that's really BS. "Too many swords" would be a poor way to try justifying it. Even if it was Ike who was picked here instead of Lyn, I see that as poor justification for just having Ike and not both.

Edited by Anacybele

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Poor taste, imo. Lyn is very boring.

But if Lyn got in because of CYL, then that means Ike should have too! Otherwise, that's really BS. "Too many swords" would be a poor way to try justifying it. Even if it was Ike who was picked here instead of Lyn, I see that as poor justification for just having Ike and not both.

Poor taste you say? I, am pretty sure that very west also voted for Ike ( I did for both for example). 

Edited by Tenzen12

Just now, Tenzen12 said:

Poor taste you say? I, am pretty sure that very vest also voted for Ike (at least I did for both). 

Poor taste in females, yeah. Their taste in males is pretty decent though.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Poor taste in females, yeah. Their taste in males is pretty decent though.

The japanese also have crap taste in female characters, considering that lucina is popular over there for whatever reason.

let's not let this devolve too far into "your wifu/husbando is trash and that is an objective fact". 

Just now, thecrimsonflash said:

The japanese also have crap taste in female characters, considering that lucina is popular over there for whatever reason.

let's not let this devolve too far into "your wifu/husbando is trash and that is an objective fact". 

I didn't mean it as fact, just my opinion. Sorry about that.

Well considering Ike and Lyn both won the top spots, I'd say that the west has god awful tastes ohoho. Marth is much better than them, ahahah.

So there was a poll in recent years that showed she's quite popular...hmm...I guess I just don't understand the fanbase. Ah well, each to their own.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I didn't mean it as fact, just my opinion. Sorry about that.

Yeah, uh, saying others have "poor" taste in liking Lyn even when tossing in an "imo" was really unnecessary. All that accomplishes is ticking off those who like Lyn. :/

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

That was more of a general statement aimed at the argument itself and how absurd it gets.

Tell me about. For some reason, everyone else besides me seems to have such a flagrantly wrong opinion.

And honestly, considering how Lyn could very well share a moveset with someone else, it's very possible that they included her from very early on because it would've been easy. And they chose to market her aggressively like this to appease a certain part of the fanbase.

4 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

So, what I gather from this, is that this is the West's fault. 

11 hours ago, Florete said:

Matsushita: Lyn was the highest ranked female character regardless of country.

This is everyone's "fault."

2 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

Actually I would say it does mean Lucina is more popular in Japan. Otherwise Lyn's  victory wouldn't really surprise anyone, right? 

Result is obvious regardless, so there is that. 

You're not looking at the context of the quote:

Matsushita: Lyn was the highest ranked female character regardless of country. Lucina however was more popular in Japan, whereas Ike was much more popular in the United States of America. And, for whatever reason, Donnel had a ton of votes from the USA as well –for reasons we are still unsure of.

"Regardless of country." This means she was the most popular no matter which country's votes you look at, not just overall. If you take the "Lucina however was more popular in Japan" as comparing to Lyn, you have to do the same with the following statement about Ike, and then it doesn't make sense that Lyn ranked as she did considering that means Lucina was more popular than her in Japan and Ike was much more popular than her in the US. But those statements are comparing countries, not characters. This is a translated interview so it's possible the translation of these lines doesn't get the precise meaning across, but as for what we can read here, this is what it says.

Tell me about. For some reason, everyone else besides me seems to have such a flagrantly wrong opinion.

And honestly, considering how Lyn could very well share a moveset with someone else, it's very possible that they included her from very early on because it would've been easy. And they chose to market her aggressively like this to appease a certain part of the fanbase.

Fanservice, I'm not going to say anymore.

Edited by DarkSoul

46 minutes ago, Florete said:

You're not looking at the context of the quote:

Matsushita: Lyn was the highest ranked female character regardless of country. Lucina however was more popular in Japan, whereas Ike was much more popular in the United States of America. And, for whatever reason, Donnel had a ton of votes from the USA as well –for reasons we are still unsure of.

"Regardless of country." This means she was the most popular no matter which country's votes you look at, not just overall. If you take the "Lucina however was more popular in Japan" as comparing to Lyn, you have to do the same with the following statement about Ike, and then it doesn't make sense that Lyn ranked as she did considering that means Lucina was more popular than her in Japan and Ike was much more popular than her in the US. But those statements are comparing countries, not characters. This is a translated interview so it's possible the translation of these lines doesn't get the precise meaning across, but as for what we can read here, this is what it says.

I think you're reading it wrong, sort of. As you said, the translation for these lines was probably rough, especially when it comes to the ''regardless of country'' bit. Translated as such it makes you think that Lyn was the most popular female in every country,  but since that clashes with the Lucina bit, I'd assume a better translation for that would have been ''highest ranked female character putting the individual countries aside'' or something along those lines.

The way I interpret this is

-Lucina was the most voted female character in Japan.

-Ike was the most voted male character in the US - and received more votes than Lyn in said region.

-Lyn wasn't the most voted character in either of those, but had a big number of votes in most places, so she ranked first overall. 

Edited by Gaia093

1 minute ago, Gaia093 said:

I think you're reading it wrong, sort of. As you said, the translation for these lines was probably rough, especially when it comes to the ''regardless of country'' bit. Translated as such it makes you think that Lyn was the most popular female in every country,  but since that clashes with the Lucina bit, I'd assume a better translation for that would have been ''highest ranked female character putting the individual countries aside'' or something along those lines.

The way I interpret this is

-Lucina was the most voted female character in Japan.

-Ike was the most voted male character in the US.

-Lyn wasn't the most voted character in either of those, but had a big number of votes in most places, so she ranked first overall. 

You'd have to ask someone who can actually read the Japanese manuscript. That's not what this translation says.

3 minutes ago, Florete said:

You'd have to ask someone who can actually read the Japanese manuscript. That's not what this translation says.

If you know where to find the original Japanese text, I'd be glad to check it out.

The reason why I bring it up, though, is that the way of saying those two things in Japanese is pretty similar, so a quick translation would be likely to make it confusing. ''Regardless of country'' is in itself a pretty open translation, as it can both mean ''most voted no matter where you look'' or ''most voted regardless of where the votes came from''.