What RPG games are your favorite and why?

Liz

i really liked Baten Kaitos Origins. one of the most amazing games ever and had great music, storyline and characters.

and the gameplay in unique

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tons.

Off the top of a random head, Der Langrisser was fun; Parasite Eve 1 and 2 also quite unique. Destiny of an Emperor 1 and 2. All the Dragon Quests. Yeah; not really in an RPG mood at the moment, so I can't recall many.

I completely agree. The card-based battle system put me off at first, but after buying the game, it really grew on me.

A couple other personal favorites are...

Skies of Arcadia - The depth of this game is amazing, one of the best RPG's I've ever played. It never really got boring at any point, and with a large amount of sidequests, it kept me playing for quite some time.

Golden Sun - Yet another game with great depth and memorable characters. The puzzle solving was very fun, though it got a bit tedious after a while...

Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core - Although short in length compared to other RPG's, the storyline kept me hooked. The Action Combat system was enjoyable, and the main character is very likeable. Probably the best part, however, was that even though everyone knows what happens at the end, the presentation was amazing and highly emotional.

a friend of mine claims that riviera the promised land is also a great game, but it is so different from what one usually thinks of RPGs that it hasn't really grown on me

Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2 is also a card-like RPG which grew on me. It was like a cult hit--really good stuff if you can get a copy.

Arcana back on the SNES was an RPG where all the characters were drawn on cards. It played like the old dungeon crawlers, nice art style, good music, also something to get into if you've the time to try it out.

Besides Fire Emblem.....

I loved Baten Kaitos Origins as well. I wasn't much of a fan of the first one, so I was really surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. The battle system was very intense, I loved every minute of it.

Also, Final Fantasy IV-VI were all great. Especially VI. One of the best games I've ever played.

Also, Super Mario RPG. Heavenly.

Skies of Arcadia is my favourite :lol: . I pretty much liked everything about it, and especially since it takes place in the skies. The story and characters were interesting, and I enjoyed some of the features, such as "Discoveries". I'm not what the quality of the music was in the DC version since I played it on GC, but I listened to the OST afterwards and I was blown away.

Other good ones were Ys: The Ark of Napishtim and Zwei!!, both ARPGs produced by Nihon Falcom. Great graphics and awesome music! Still haven't finished Ys though, and I didn't actually play Zwei!!, I just watched it... but nevertheless, it was hooking.

Grandia II - Great battle system, music and a pretty interesting storyline.

Lufia II - Like Zelda, but with simpler puzzles and it's a "true" RPG. Great music as well. Plus it's also one of the few RPGs where

you get married during the middle of the game

Suikoden V - An epic RPG, and I liked how the storyline wasn't just a simple save-the-world one and had a large focus on politics and war tactics.

Terranigma - Possibly the best Action RPG ever. Great music and an unique storyline.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana - Excellent Action RPG. Quite short, but very fun (and hard). Like other Nihon Falcom games, the music is very good as well (I seem to keep mentioning music for some reason).

Ah, and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. I love quirky spin they put on Turn-based battles. It makes the combat feel a bit less monotonous. I was never able to beat the Pit of 100 Trials though...

Super Paper Mario was a lot of fun as well, but the fact that they cut out the true RPG elements of it was a bit of a bummer.

Ah, and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. I love quirky spin they put on Turn-based battles. It makes the combat feel a bit less monotonous. I was never able to beat the Pit of 100 Trials though...

Super Paper Mario was a lot of fun as well, but the fact that they cut out the true RPG elements of it was a bit of a bummer.

All 3 Paper Marios are awesome, although I haven't beaten the first 1 yet. You should download it on VC. I haven't beaten the Thousand Year Door either but the final boss is so damn hard.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana - Excellent Action RPG. Quite short, but very fun (and hard). Like other Nihon Falcom games, the music is very good as well (I seem to keep mentioning music for some reason).

I remember trying to get into Ys but never really paid attention too much. The DS remakes (?) of the first and second were released awhile ago-maybe I should check it out.

1. Fire Emblem

2. dot hack//G.U.(all three)

I haven't gotten around to many rpgs YET. Some day i'll have more time on my hands hopefully...

Some day i'll have more time on my hands hopefully...

you can take my time. i've got plenty of it