Deletion of own posts?

Cynthia

Perhaps allow members to delete their own posts so that in the event of an accidental double post that they may delete the other post?

The only way I could see it hurting would be people deleting posts that were offensive to hide them from moderators, however if the post is reported the moderators will see it anyway, and the members SHOULD be reporting offensive posts anyways.

Also I believe Admins can review the deleted posts.

No.

If a user was able to delete their posts, it could screw up the moderation system.

Yes, admins can see deleted posts, but it would make the moderators useless in that situation.

Edited by Adam

Maybe Moderaters could have the ability to see deleted posts as well?

Also, users can edit a post just as easily as they can delete them.

Edited by Knife

At FEE, some stupid kid was using this same deal to add total posts to his count. He would post something and then quickly delete them. Name was YQ or somn.

So no, its a bad idea.

I believe there is an option to make it a "soft" delete, so it would just hide the post from anyone not on the moderation team. So the moderators could still see it, and thus prevent people from using it to get their post count up, as they can warn people who abuse it.

At FEE, some stupid kid was using this same deal to add total posts to his count. He would post something and then quickly delete them. Name was YQ or somn.

So no, its a bad idea.

I used to do that when none of the staff was on. Vincent caught me and that's when I learned admins could view them. :P

I used to do that when none of the staff was on. Vincent caught me and that's when I learned admins could view them. :P

Silly man. ^^ No wonder you have like a gazillion posts in your count.

This might be a very useful feature if it is applicable only to the last post made in a thread. That would avoid conflicts with moderation and allow for the easy removal of accidental double posts. I don't know if an implementation such as this would allow for the artificial bumping of threads (assuming such a thing can be implemented without difficulty); also, from the comments above it appears that one's post count isn't recalculated after a post is deleted?

However, I do not believe such a feature would be very useful; a member can edit a post if a remark's suitability is questionable and accidental double posts are not problematic. Even if any post could be deleted, it is little different to a person editing a prior post to remove its contents (something I do not recall having seen).... I can, however, see how someone may wish to have a post eliminated entirely if the poster decides after making a comment that it is entirely irrelevant or incorrect.

We will see how others respond. There is a harrowing potential for abuse, but I do not think it's immensely different from what the ability to edit posts allows for.

I got my entire postcount without that.

Pure 100% spam. :D

Anyway, I say Nay. Just because. I don't feel like listing reasons. I've fulfilled my quota for thinking today.

The real reason why I disabled deleting posts for members is because, for some reason, this forum doesn't keep records of member-deleted posts (even though it's supposed to).

For that reason alone, the policy won't be changing.

Edited by NomadicTrooperGirl