Paladin Jakob -- Why?

Mandokarla

Can someone explain to me why the hyper early HS Paladin Jakob is so good? Aside from the obvious mobility and access to actually good WT weapons. His stats are good, but does it carry him into the mid->lategame? Is it really worth losing the early healer (I know you get Elise/Sakura in Conq/Rev early, but two healers are really nice)?

It's mainly good in Birthright since you start off with really squishy units besides maybe Rinkah so Paladin or GK Jakob is nice to have for tanking needs. It also is helped you get Azama onl a chapter after Sakura so you will still have a second healer (Albeit Azama wont be as good as Jakob would be).

As for Conquest and Rev, eh, I don't see the point since you get Gunter early in Rev (Though an extra tank wouldn't be the worst) and Effie is a decent enough tank in Conquest and you get Beruka and Camilla pretty early too in Conquest both of which can serve well as tanks to all but bows (Beruka more so than Camilla). But it's definitely recommenced for Birthright, at least until you get the more tankier Hoshidans.

Because he has really good offense due to getting early promo bonuses + Paladin’s really good class skills. With skills such as Elbow room and Defender gotten relatively early, he can damage stack fairly decently, and it gets really silly if he becomes a Malig Knight and gets Trample + Strength + 2 (it’s really dumb in a good way). Basically he can do late game stacks really early, and it’s super good.

6 hours ago, Mandokarla said:

Can someone explain to me why the hyper early HS Paladin Jakob is so good? Aside from the obvious mobility and access to actually good WT weapons. His stats are good, but does it carry him into the mid->lategame? Is it really worth losing the early healer (I know you get Elise/Sakura in Conq/Rev early, but two healers are really nice)?

Short answer. No. No it's not worth a HS. No missing a healer does not matter (easiest early cq of your life is wyvern elise+wyvern corn&jakob). No paladin is not better in any ch7/8, VoF Silias is functionally identical, 8 BR/CQ heavily prefer butler for 1-2 range, and rev wants flight badly. Basicly you just want pala for stack.

No he does not carry well late. A pumped jakob is very strong early and can EP well but lategame lunatic reduces him to a player phase unit. A hellmurderously strong PP unit in some cases, but he's no Vsorc/MN!Silias/Olderbrotherdetish/bolt action little sister. That said you're not exclusively investing in Jakob, 3 seals for 3 units with heavy early stack is really sick value and is absolutely worth setting up.

Ideally you partner seal off Corrin in Ch9 and then fren seal off A+ Silias for room+shelter+defender/luna then you partner again because paladin is bad. This gives between +9 and +19 stack early without touching the early HS.

-----------------------------------------------------------

TL:DR: Outside of a Corrin marrige Jakob is not worth the investment, butler combat is passable and is 1-2, but that's not the draw here. Freeze and Enfeeble are just significantly stronger than a pure Jakobdin.

Edited by joshcja

Jakob is one of the best units in the game, and imo is one of the top 5 units in Conquest. Early on he has amazing offense because base stats as a Paladin and the skills you get from the cav line, shelter allows for really cool strats with Azura dancing, and by partner sealing Wyvern Corrin, Elsie, Beruka, or Camilla he can go Malig Knight for trample and more damage stacking, and flying shelter. If you partner him with Azura you can make him a falco knight, get staff utility back, pick up rally speed, and I prefer to take him to Kinshi after all of that for Darting Blow + Elbow room for his personal offense stacking, rally speed, shelter, and amateratsu for utility. 

He never really falls off because of how easy it is to abuse the reclassing system with him and getting skills much earlier and allowing huge stacks before you could even imagine doing them without Jakob.

Paladin Jakob makes CQ 10 super manageable as opposed to having the deck stacked against you fairly hard until Camilla shows up.

He's one of the best units in the game.

In the current "meta" in efficiency setting the main reason to use Paladin Jakob is to make early game slightly easier, marry him into Corrin and turn him into Malig Knight either with 2 children bonus having OP x/15 skills before you are supposed to, or getting WAY ahead of the level curve by taking those Children Paralogues

Paladin offers one of the better quick investment stacking in the game, Defender gave him 1 Stats, and That super overpowered skill from Cavalier line that i forgot the name gave him 3 stats, and also Shelter utility. But later on its bothersome caps, weirdly mediocre growth, and lack of flight holds him back if he stays as Paladin. This is why for such a long time Jakob is considered a falling off unit that he really isn't and thats Paladin being kinda terrible

So, no he doesn't actually "hold up" to late game if you say "did Paladin Kob not fall off" because he did. But when he become Malig Knight with +9-+11 Damage out of the ass for no reason he is far from falling off

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

1 hour ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Thats the name for the Level 5 skill? isn't that the fe13 name for the 15 dodge/hit skill

The name always escapes my mind for some reason

The xl1 +3 cav skill in fates is elbow room. You're thinking outdoor fighter, the xl10 awakening skill.

Edited by joshcja

I think that Paladin Jakob is overrated. In Conquest, Archer Mozu is better than Paladin Jakob. And even if one simply does not care about Mozu, Jakob is a terrible 'leveller'. One could also say that Xander is no great 'leveller' either, but he needs zero investment and is forever useful.

Lately, I cannot remember the last time that Jakob (1) was used long enough to pass Level 6, but I may try Malig Knight Jakob and see if it lives up to the hype.

And Elbow Room plus Quick Draw or Strong Riposte are really fun and available early.

Edited by starburst