Favourite Cast of Characters (Gameplay)

bethany81707

A cast of engaging characters story-wise is all well and good, but what's your favourite army in terms of their ability to actually turn back an army?

--

I honestly have to say Radiant Dawn. For all the flaws in terms of level curve, there's something oddly satisfying about ramming stat caps early, using Bonus Experience to tweak the other stats, cap everything and then crush the enemies underfoot with your choice of skills, because you're not already broken enough. As broken as my pegs are in other games, it doesn't have quite that satisfactory feeling behind it.

Thracia 776. The fact that damn near EVERYONE is viable makes for a lot of fun opportunities while playing the game. The game's generous EXP curve encourages the use of a lot of characters, and late-game units don't get shafted nearly as hard as other games. Even the horde of Ests you get are all easy to use and build up.

8 hours ago, Slumber said:

Thracia 776. The fact that damn near EVERYONE is viable makes for a lot of fun opportunities while playing the game. The game's generous EXP curve encourages the use of a lot of characters, and late-game units don't get shafted nearly as hard as other games. Even the horde of Ests you get are all easy to use and build up.

I thought Miranda and Sara were the only Ests in Thracia 776 though?

Radiant Dawn is definitely still one of my favorite casts as there are several good units in the game and I also like the character of a lot of the individuals however there are some honorable mentions. Genealogy of the Holy War has a cast that I also like a lot some of my favorites being Lex, Sigurd, Seliph, Ulster, Arres (he is aptly named by the way) Alteana etc. Fire Emblem Blazing Sword is also a great cast especially in regards to Hector (shocker I know- sarcasm detected here), Dart, Kent, Marcus, Heath, Hawkeye, Harken etc.

Radiant Dawn while not a game I would recommend to a beginner (I would advise Sacred Stones, Blazing Sword or at least Path of Radiance first for that matter) is all said and done a terrific game. The models look amazing, and while the animations can be a little slow compared to newer titles they have power behind their attacks. When Nolan hits a Begnion soldier with his axe it LOOKS like IT HURT a lot, movements in general look better there's not this weird, wanky run animation like you have in Fates. When characters move it almost looks real, like you have real people performing the movement. The music is awesome, I wish I had a cd with all of the tracks from this game. I thoroughly enjoy the weapon variety which recent games have dropped for some inexplicable reason, weapons like the Tempest Blade, Poleaxe, Greatlance, Iron/Steel/Silver Blade etc. There are mechanics I would like to see from this return mainly how laguz function I loved how you could shift on the map and move said laguz around in shifted form and I miss that function, the Forging System, Ledges Mechanic and lastly every class gets a kill skill. I liked how Marksmen not only could shoot from 3 squares away with any bow but got the Deadeye skill, Marshalls got Luna, Sages got Corona, Gold/Silver Knights got Sol etc. I would like to see this kind of approach again, and make each skill feel rewarding when it gets performed.

Alright enough said, obviously I really enjoy a lot of Radiant Dawn's aspects and mechanics, but regardless I do think it's a game everyone should play at least once, though it's probably going to turn into more times than that and in conclusion Radiant Dawn has one of my favorite casts of characters.

44 minutes ago, Slumber said:

There's Sleuf, as well as arguably Linoan and Homer. 

I have a hard time thinking of Homer and Linoan as Ests, mainly because while they do join late relative to your other unpromoted units, they don't join quite late enough.  If memory serves me right, Sara and Miranda are the last unpromoted characters to join in Thracia 776.

As for Sleuf, I never got far enough into Thracia to use him.  I guess he could qualify as an Est since he joins at about the same time Miranda would have, but his lack of direct offensive viability makes it feel weird to think of him as an Est.  Then again, he does have being a staffbot with base A Rank in Staves in a game that loves ailment and teleporting staves in his favor.  So I can see where you're coming from there if I give it some thought.

The arachnea games, because Shadow Dragon AND New Mystery together are the best 1-2 punch you could ask for.

And of course, the lack of normal supports/dialogue practically begs you to imagine charather's based on their "game play personality" similiar to a game with generics such as Ogre Battle or FFT, and it's really easy for me to do since I'm in the habit already.

Shoutout to Thracia for some of the same reasons. I do think that the lack of mage charathers and enemy stats in the first half of the game does make it kind of grindhousy though, so it's not quite as interesting.

11 minutes ago, edgelordweeaboo said:

fe4 gen 2 because everyone is op as fuck

Iuchar, Iucharba (poor guys), Hannibal, and nearly every substitute character beg to differ.

If we're judging best in gameplay by OP-ness, Awakening would reflect this criteria far better since no unit in that game is particularly bad (even if some are better than others), and the Child Units are harder to screw up with sub-optimal pairings.

10 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I have a hard time thinking of Homer and Linoan as Ests, mainly because while they do join late relative to your other unpromoted units, they don't join quite late enough.  If memory serves me right, Sara and Miranda are the last unpromoted characters to join in Thracia 776.

As for Sleuf, I never got far enough into Thracia to use him.  I guess he could qualify as an Est since he joins at about the same time Miranda would have, but his lack of direct offensive viability makes it feel weird to think of him as an Est.  Then again, he does have being a staffbot with base A Rank in Staves in a game that loves ailment and teleporting staves in his favor.  So I can see where you're coming from there if I give it some thought.

Every unit you get from chapter 13 onward is promoted, aside from Eda and those 5 who have extremely high growths, which is generally how I determine Ests. The point where the game is like "We're done fucking around, you need to start promoting. Here's a bunch of promoted units. But also here are some very underleveled units with great stats, skills, and/or weapons."

But 14 is more around the midpoint and he joins the same chapter as Eda, which is why I think it's arguable to call Homer an Est. But Linoan is more splitting hairs, since she joins a chapter before Sleuf(A route) and Sara and Miranda(B route), who definitely are supposed to be Ests.

Also, Sleuf is the A route counterpart to Miranda, so I don't think it's too difficult to call him an Est. 

Edited by Slumber

3 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Iuchar, Iucharba (poor guys), Hannibal, and nearly every substitute character beg to differ.

If we're judging best in gameplay by OP-ness, Awakening would reflect this criteria far better since no unit in that game is particularly bad (even if some are better than others), and the Child Units are harder to screw up with sub-optimal pairings.

yeah but i avoid having sub characters in the first place outside of my first run where i just forgot about fury and got hermina and hawk and iuchar/iucharba and hannibal are only three characters

7 hours ago, edgelordweeaboo said:

yeah but i avoid having sub characters in the first place outside of my first run where i just forgot about fury and got hermina and hawk and iuchar/iucharba and hannibal are only three characters

Even if you can avoid getting the substitutes, they still constitute a large portion of the Gen 2 roster, so I feel like they're difficult to ignore.