Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 5 Magonsaete Route

Shin

After it became clear that Cass wasn't interested in it, Sylvia took one last swig of grog before reuniting the bottle with it's cork, stowing the remainder away for another time. Shrugging as Cassandra dismissed her take on whether she should keep her head down or not, she began to indulge herself, speaking about her true wishes for her home. Despite everything, she was still rather young, after all. But everyone had that side to them to some extent, only differing in how much they chose to abideĀ it.

"O'course you do, Cass. It's only natural, after all. Home is home, and s'much as we have our grievances, no one wants to see their home burn. You're right that y'don't have the means to do it, least not right now." Sylvia replied, cocking her head a bit at a few things that Cassandra mentioned among her prior oppression... choice of partners, and the name of a woman, distinct among everything else? How peculiar... interesting though, no need to speak of it further at any rate.

"It's a pipe dream. But then, look at any of our countries out there. All of 'em started as someone's pipe dream. Best you can do is keep an ear to the ground, see if y'can't find rumblings of some means to make it real... can't say if y'ever will, but as they say, y'can't find treasure if y'don't dig. Live yer life, and if life gives y'that chance... grab it n'don't let go... or don't. S'up to you to decide what's most important to ya." Sylvia concluded with a hearty nod of the head. An interesting girl like this one, with such a peculiar story... how far could someone like that go? It was certainly a pleasure to imagine... almost sad to think of all that culminating in the life of a village girl, but no one could fault her for choosing such a life, in relative peace. Then the topic of why Sylvia herself was in these blasted plains came up, causing her to shake her head slightly.

"Well, goin' from the North a' Raewald to home on the South coast is a bloody long walk, see. Thought to hitch a ride with a caravan, make a little bit a' gold playin' guard and not wear my legs down to the bone walkin'... woulda cut straight through Myrcia, but the Raewalden army was movin' through. Soldiers, see... merchants come by and those types like to demand a toll. Gold, supplies, free shit in general... they set up camp somewhere and decide they own the place and all the nearby roads. So the guys I was ridin' with, they decided to go the long way around, dip into Magonsaete. Take a chance on not bein' ambushed, insteada' being guaranteed to have to pony up the goods." Sylvia explained, drawing her thumb across her own throat as she finished in an obvious gesture.

"They made a bet, and they lost. S'all there is to it."

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"That's all there is to it, is it..." Cass thought about today's course of actions. This, itself, had been a bet, hadn't it? And they'd come close to folding at many moments. "Hah," she managed to chuckle out, sighing and laying down, turning away from Sylvia. "It was a nice talk, Sylvia. I hope you find your sleep comfortable, when you do... Thank you for chatting with me." Cass didn't quite have much else to say on what seemed like a semi-pep talk, and Sylvia's story of how she found herself in this predicament wasn't the most positive. Still, that they were lucky enough to survive for now, there was good to be taken from all this.

"I'll do my best," she said towards no one in particular, before closing her eyes and trying to nod off. It wasn't exactly late, but between her thinking, and all the fighting today, the princess was exhausted. I hope tonight's dreams are better than they have been.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

"Aye... that's pretty well it. And as I said, you're a pretty interestin' sort, Cass. Don't be afraid to call on me iffin' y'need to talk again." Sylvia concluded, as Cassandra got ready to sleep. Best not to disturb her then... getting up from her seated position, Sylvia decided to exit the tent, at least for now.

Alain stifled a laughĀ as Naiman's facade began to slowly unravel around her.Ā She'd put up a fairly stoic front during the wagon ride,Ā but now the manner of her words betrayed her. Just getting her name right wasĀ cause enough for the huntress to offer him some praise. It wasn't the first time that he'd been complimented on his eloquence, but it was admittedly a bit surprising to hear a total stranger be so forthright with him--especially one who rightfully had little cause to appreciate the tongue of nobility.Ā Some quick thought into the matter led him to conclude that perhaps Naiman's prolonged exposure to Sylvia had simply whittled away at her expectations.Ā 

But if merely uttering her name correctly was enough to get on Naiman'sĀ good side, he was happy to oblige. And as it turned out, the sentiment behind her name was actually rather poignant. Though he would be remiss to say he believed the name actually had anything to do with her survival.Ā If all it took was a name, he may as well have started calling himself "Naimanzuunnadintsetseg Duhamel" for all the good that was going to do.

But perhaps...?Ā Ā 

No... I dare say it doesn't quite suit me...

"Quite the story. I have to admitĀ I feel a touch of sorrow for your parents though," he said.Ā "They went through all that trouble of hiding you from Death himself, and yet you're out here doingĀ this."Ā He motioned to his stomach, cutting a line across as he used to free hand to mimic the spewing of bloody entrails and whatever else was locked away inside the human body.

He even threw in some poorly crafted sound effects to enhance the imagery.

"I have to imagine Death has taken a great deal of notice of you by now. Feminine name or no. What with all the help you'veĀ been giving him."Ā He wore a wry smile, though he was admittedly more perturbedĀ by her deftness of hand than he let on. The idea of being on the receivingĀ end of such a gut opening wound sent a quiet shudder down his spine.Ā He wasn't sure if Belial would bother bringing him back from such an end.

Best to keep my wits about me.

"ButĀ tell me, MissĀ Naimanzuunnadintsetseg, if you're so inclined. You seem a bit far from home," he said, pausing for a moment.Ā "Well actually maybe not. I don't really have any idea where you're from after all," he said, letting out a nervous chuckle. "But what's the plan? Not to question your tastes, but a group of foreigners such as this is a bit of an odd fitĀ for someone like you, wouldn't you say?"

When Alain brought up feeling sorry her parents, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg at first had tensed up, thinking he had been meaning to go elsewhere with his comment. When he'd finally finished with what he actually had to say, then, she relaxed with relief, shaking her head and bringing a hand to her mouth to hide the smile forming on her lips, amused in spite of herself. His mimicry and sound effects didn't help for maintaining a serious atmosphere, that was for sure.

"It wouldn't be the first time I disappointed my parents' expectations in one manner, though I did try to at least fulfill them in another when I did. Given that I am still alive, I should say this is just one more such instance, I suppose," she remarked, wrapping up their previous topic before moving to his latest question.

"It is good that you caught yourself, for I am not all that far from home... though it no longer quite exists as such," Naimanzuunnadintsetseg corrected herself with a frown. "My tribe's lands were not too many days to the east and--if I have not lost my way--slightly to the north, of where you first came across the caravan. It had been heading in much the same direction I intended to go, and for now at least, we continue to do so." That was all the further she really felt like sharing at the moment, with present company. "Foreigners or not, it is safer to be in a group, than to travel the plains alone."

Night of 20th May 812 - Alain's Mind

"Lord Malaphar, my apologies for disturbing you, but I must know... your World, it feels different. As if it has changed, the air tastes not as it had before, is this your doing? Has your power fully recovered?" Emmet asked, his voice almost hollow and metallic. "You appear pleased, is there something I do not know? I am truly loyal to you, if I may ask..."

"You ask many questions Emmet, but ones I wish to answer." Malaphar replied, his voice growing futher away by the second. "It is not my power which is strengthening my World, it is that of another. In over two hundred years... this has not occured once. Prince Owen's group truly is remarkable, and I think I believe I know the culprit..."

Morning of 21st May 812 - Magonsaete Plains

The night hadn't been kind, despite the tolerable weather during the day, the harsh cold and howling winds had assaulted the tents all night. Thankfully the camp had held up, but it was a reminder that the plains of Magonsaete were not a welcome place for travellers, or even its natives if they were not careful. The sun had crept up over the horizon, gently lighting up the fields of dry grass. The morning wasn't exactly warm, but it lacked the threatening chill from the night before it. Clouds had collected overhead, a sign that rain was likely in the near future.

"I figure if we attack from the west they won't see it coming. They've got a tonne of wyverns, right? We can just shoot them out of the sky with archers." Aurelio boasted, standing up from next to the fire. Graham was listening tentatively, nodding along cautiously with each stage of Aurelio's plan. "After they've been beaten up and everything's fixed up, I can head back to Nelon's land and check up on my family. Ma's gonna kill me for being away for so long, but she won't believe that I was talking to royalty. Not that it's a big deal for me, no offense but nobles are just regular people with golden trousers."

Sebastian smirked, tending to the bubbling pot he had over the fire. He didn't intervene with the pair's, or Aurelio's, ramblings. However, he did take notice to something coming across the horizon. "It appears we have a guest." Sebastian announced, reaching for the sword at his belt. It was only a solitary figure, but their physique was tall and imposing. They weren't travelling along dusty path across the field, they were heading directly for the campsite.Ā 

Ā 

All players are free to post!

Astaroth pulled his bow out as he turned and saw the imposing figure. "Approach. Slowly. I cannot guarantee your health and safety if you do not do exactly as I say." Astaroth began to sweat. He hoped that he and Sebastian were not the only ones that were arming themselves if this solitary figure wasn't so solitary after all.

Cass awoke to the brisk morning, shivering just a tad, but no worse for wear than when she'd dozed off... Her dry cheeks were another pleasant sign. There was no telling if she'd been quiet during the night, but no crying, and without nightmares to remember, perhaps things were going to be getting better. Rolling over, it seemed that Naiman had relented as well, choosing to sleep in the tent. It brought a small smile to her lips, the gesture, tiny as it was, meaning quite a lot after that little spat.

It seemed there was somewhat of a commotion outside though, Aurelio talking, but then what sounded like Astaroth, his voice hurried and cautious. Pulling herself up and out of the tent, she looked about the camp, Sebastian with his hand on his sword? Were they under attack? Cass grabbed her own but remained calm, even staying so after spotting the larger... Person. It had to be a person, they weren't the size of that monster they'd fought at Dettard's.

Cass kept her sword sheathed, looking between the two men. "They're that far away, they can't hear you, you know." Perhaps Astaroth was just trying to calm himself, but this wasn't exactly something to worry over. "It's one man, the plains are too flat for an ambush. Calm yourselves until they're closer. If it becomes a fight, I'm certain we'll overwhelm them. Until then... What are you cooking, Sebastian? I can't believe you've managed to make something smell good with the barren ingredients around here." Was there such a thing as butler magic? There might've been... Or maybe it just smelled so good because it was something warm rather than the dry, cold supplies they'd been passing around since they left.

Astaroth realized the sweat from his head came from the embarrassment he felt speaking to a person too far to hear, even if he had yelled loudly, thus waking everyone else save the already awake Sebastian and Aurelio. Heeding Cass's words, Astaroth lowered his bow, but kept his arrow nocked, just to err on the side of caution. "I guess you're right about that, Princess Cassandra. As for the food, I have to ask: do all manservants cook as you do, Sebastian? The only way I've been able to do that to food is to add this secret spice here. Trouble is, it's very hot, and water is too precious to be wasted on a burning mouth. Also, use too much, and you might have delusions of invincibility." Astaroth's mind hearkens back to the image of being hit in the stomach with a warhammer.

Hiero had woken up to seeing everyone tense. Hiero walked over to stand next to Astaroth. ā€œWhat hell is that?ā€ Hiero said, pointing to the figure. ā€œWell whoever he is, we need to be prepared if he attacks. Let me grab my axe.ā€ Hiero then walked back towards his tent, looking for his axe. ā€œGods, how hard is it to find an axe in a small tent...ā€Ā 

It hadn't taken much longer after their camp had been set for a chill to drop upon the plains, appearing in what felt like an instant and washing over the small gathering without remorse. Well, that had been as good a sign as any that it was time to sleep. Retreating to the designated 'girls' tent, Sylvia had fallen asleep not too far from the Princess, dozing off without much effort.Ā 

Waking up in the morning just as the chill had started to retreat, a nipping bite still, but nothing quite so harsh as before, it seemed that something was afoot. Just as she had begun to rise, Cassandra has exited the tent in a hurry, talks happening outside. A visitor, it seemed? One far off, from the sounds of it. Stepping out a short moment after Cass, Sylvia walked over to those who had gathered, mid stretch and mid yawn.

"What do we got here that's got everyone up and about?"

Walk This Way

"I'm sure your secret spice explains for a lot, Mister Astaroth." Sebastian replied, content to leave his words open to interpretation. He let out a small chuckle at Cass' amazement, his eyes still focused on the approaching stranger. His pot simmered away, the familiar scent of a certain noble's favourite breakfast wafting towards Cass. "I managed to procure some of Baron Nelon's oats before we departed, I'm sure he will understand if a few pounds or so are missing. The local landscape does not lend particularly well to scavenging, unless one would prefer... herbs over sustenance. Whilst there are more than a fair few plants available, I fear most of them would result in prolonged visits to the lavatory."

They were still tens of feet away, but it was easier to comprehend them. It was definitely a woman, but a monster of one. She was easily six feet tall and muscular enough to go toe-to-toe with Baleros. She wasn't one of Astaroth's tribe, the patterns and symbols on her garb were not his own. However, it would have been hard to place her as from anywhere but Magonsaete., and the long spear in her right hand helped her nail the tribal aesthetic to a tee. Her pace showed she was in a hurry rather than rushing into an attack, she appeared determined to reach the group.

"Looks like we've got a she-barbarian coming to say hello, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that. Maybe we could send Hiero first, scout out what we're dealing with." Aurelio remarked, approaching Sylvia. He looked into the distance, shielding his eyes from the low sun. "If she were about a foot shorter, not built like a bear and heading right towards us, she might be my type. Figure it's worth lettin' her come to us or should we charge her? Mind you, I've had enough charging to last a lifetime thanks to Esclablunder, but letting her get the jump on us at that size ain't a good idea."

Where Cass' dreams were free from worry, Alain's were marred with the reflection of Malaphar's world. Seeing Emmet all but confirmed his visions weeks prior when he'd met with Constance. Malaphar sure knew how to pick his allies--or servants more likely. That the man who'd spoken of Alain's supposed immortality with his dying breaths had somehow achieved it himselfĀ was an unfair sort ofĀ irony. Worse still was that Malaphar seemed to be acutely aware of Claire's infringement upon his domain. To think, she was trying to oppose him and thus far all she'd done was strengthen him--to the detriment of everything around her no less...

What a mess.Ā Ā 

"Charge if you like, but it's just one woman," he scoffed, emerging from his tent.Ā Astaroth's yelling had done his sleep no favors, but at least he'd been made somewhat aware of the situation. The woman was every bit as towering as she'd been described to be--likely even bigger up close. But big or no, as long as she was sufficiently far away, he had ample time to prepare with Balor.

He opened his tome, and began to manifest his will. The groundĀ ahead slowly began to blisterĀ and eruptĀ with a murky tar like substance. As the darkness began to pool and clot, long tenebrous arms emergedĀ from its midst. The handsĀ clawedĀ at the earth with rapacious delight,Ā relenting onlyĀ after the darkness had been sufficiently shaped to Alain's whim.Ā Ā Ā 

He stepped back to admire his work. The woman would have to be consumed by madness or desperation to attack across such a divide. Any attempts to circumvent the length of barrier would give the rest of his companions ample time to ready their weapons and apprehend the tribeswoman.Ā He wiped some sweat off his brow, and turned backĀ with a grin.

"And now we wait."Ā 

Astaroth looked at the quagmire Alain created with his tome. "I bet you ten to one her pike is longer than that snare is tall. She could clear that if she planted the butt of her lance and vaulted over. What is it with mages and their distinct lack of creativity? ...Nevermind, that's probably a good thing." Astaroth drew his sword, even though he knew that he would be giving away the range advantage if she was still rather hostile. Astaroth knew very few mages, but only Alain was probably anything more than a novice, and even then, he was somewhat reserved when using it.

"Porridge... I suppose I can't complain." Nelon's food of choice was a sturdy one, and with Sebastian doing what he could to it, it would at least be palatable... Aurelio's words of the woman remind Cass that they were being set upon, but she still wasn't all that worried. "Just prepare yourselves and be aware. If you find a spear flying your way, move. Unless we've a mage on our hands, it's not going to curve midair."

Speaking of a mage on their hands, Alain certainly had come prepared, and impressively so. She didn't quite realize that dark magic could create itself in such a way. Astaroth's petty comment about lacking creativity was annoying, this was plenty creative compared to the standard fair of simply tossing a spell at someone, but Alain's silver tongue didn't need someone protecting it. Cass merely scoffed at the man's comments, while their borrowed diplomat was likely brewing up his own retort. She drew her sword and watched, waiting.

"Someone should probably wake Naiman."

Alain raised a brow at Astarosh's apparent lack of faith in him, but he paid little heed to his poor criticisms.Ā "You wound me chief.Ā But if you fancy yourself so bright, I implore you to vault over yourself and see the outcome," he sneered. He snapped his fingers, and an array of hands reappeared from the void, lurching upwards into the air and then slinking away with abject disappointment. "Men of low intelligence are quick to assume the same of others. Pray that you do not become such a man before you find yourself no longer able to pray." He brushed past Astaroth, letting out a snort as he went by.

Cassandra, at least, had seemed strickenĀ by the display. He gave her a smile, and made his way over to her tent. She'd mentioned Naiman was still sleeping, though the idea that she would be the last to rise was rather amusing. She seemed to be the type to rise the earliest.Ā He opened the flap of her tent, and called out to her. "Hello, Miss Eight Hundred Precious Flowers, your attention is required immediately. We have a visitor approaching."Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Vestige

"Doesn't look like she's rarin' to fight, at least to me. A good dose a' caution is a good thing, but too much and you'll make enemies where y'didn't need to." Sylvia replied, though it seemed the others had already adopted a defensive posture, the mage conjuring some sort of festering death wall... for lack of a better term. The fact that the horseman's first response to such a thing was to claim that it would be easily vaulted, and thus ineffective, certainly seemed off. For one thing, it was intimidating as all get out, and for another, someone vaulting over a wall was an easy target. But no need to feed the flames.Ā 

"I'm a pikeman too y'know, and no way in hell would I try to clear that thing."

After her talk with the fell practicioner had wrapped up, true to her word, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg had gone scouting for prairie coal, yet just as she'd suspected the harvest was slim, at best. By the time the chill winds had picked up enough to force her back to camp, she'd only the smallest handfuls of sun-dried chips to show for her efforts, but at least that ought to be enough for starting a small fire on the morrow.

Making her way to the tent she'd been assigned, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg was grudgingly forced to admit to herself that she was thankful for the shelter. The night had brought the sort of weather that would lead one to bringing a dog or two into one's shelter, glad for the extra body heat they would provide. Stooping low, she had silently parted the flaps and passed within, finding a section the other two had left unclaimed to spread out her furs. But before she moved to slip into their waiting warmth, she remained crouched, dropping her hands to the ground to help steady her weight at she watched. Sandy was tossing and turning some. Though certainly unconscious, her sleep seemed restless, but not violently so. Just what dreams did a princess have? A muffled snort from the other occupant of the tent interrupted her musing, and hoping it wouldn't shift Sylvia's pattern from the simple heavy breathing of deep sleep into full on snores, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg shook her head. The day had been long enough, no need to draw it out longer; she should be joining them, rather than wool-gathering like this. And so she did.Ā 

怜怜怜怜怜

When Cassandra had stepped over her, on her way out of the tent, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg already been awake. The frustratingly competant manservant hadn't sounded especially distressed, just healthily cautious, and as such the huntress didn't feel particular urgency. Sylvia had been soon to follow, and left now with total privacy she pushed herself to sitting and freed herself from her furs and blankets. It was time to take a few moments to look into something that had been on her mind. If things grew considerably more frantic outside, she could abandon her diversion at the drop of an arrow--her own were within arms' reach and ready to go should need arise.Ā 

Baring her skin to the chill morning air wasn't exactly pleasant, but necessary, as Naimanzuunnadintsetseg twisted her upper body to get a better look at where the axe had scored a wound in her side during yesterday's fight. Ordinarily, it should still be red and raw right now, where it wasn't the dark black of fresh scab, or whatever color threads had been handy to sew it shut. But today there was none of that. Magic was certainly a curious beast. She was still probing where pain ought to have been flaring up with her fingers when the tent flaps flew open and a now-familiar voice called out to her.

Great, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg almost groaned. IfĀ it was anybody going to get an eyeful, of course it would be him. No point in overreacting or making a scene, for all she knew he hadn't actually poked his head inside, she hadn't exactly been looking toward the entrance of the tent, after all. And apparently the situation outside was developing into something worse, so this was just as much her fault as anybody's for dragging her heels. ShouldĀ it turnĀ out this visitor was no big deal though, and people were just unduly paranoid... well, she wasn't going to be happy.

"Of course," she answered coolly. "I'll put my shirt on and be right out. You can wait that long, I'm sure." It wasn't immediate but it would have to do. She then calmly proceeded to dress herself.

Some dozens of seconds later or so, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg strode out, fully geared and her weapons properly arrayed, stooping as she passed through the arch of the tent. She didn't bother giving Alain a second glance as she passed him, making her way towards where she could get a view of the source of the alarm... and everything else that had cropped up as a result.

...She was feeling a headache coming on already. This was going to be a long day, wasn't it?

Edited by Balcerzak

Astaroth saw the wall advance higher than the first time.Ā That's impressive. I wonder if he could make one high enough to ensnare Michalis. But that isn't what I need to focus on right now.Ā He made a cursory glance at Setseg as she exited the tent. He then realized that Hiero was looking for his axe even still. "Just grab the poleaxe, Hiero! We don't have time to wait!" Astaroth kept focus on the woman as she drew ever closer to Alain's mire.

As soon as Astaroth said that, Hiero was back, holding his iron axe. ā€œFound it.ā€ A frown appeared on Hieroā€™s face. ā€œThis scenario is just like one that happened in a book I read. A lone enemy walks over to the main group, asking for terms of surrender. The main party says that they have the enemy outnumbered. But the lone enemy says the opposite and it turns out that the main party is outnumbered something insane like 20 to 1. I would say to be on guard. Also, Astaroth?ā€ Hiero shot a glance at Astaroth. ā€œIs she one of yours?ā€

Over the Hills

"If she were one of his, he wouldn't be telling you to get a weapon ready." Aurelio muttered under his breath, watching as the giant approached. The situation was stressful enough without Alain's swirling pool of darkness, he'd only seen magic so terrifying once but the clawing arms of the abyss came a very close second. As a man who could just about spell his own name, the ability of the mage seemed almost unnatural. Although that could have possibly been the consequence of the general intelligence of the natives - it had been weeks before he'd met someone not trying to throw a spear at him. "You got any other surprises in that cloak of yours? Any more spells like that and you'll need to conjure me up another pair of trousers."

The woman had finally approach, her physique no illusion of distance. She stopped right before Alain's barrier of darkness, unphased by the satanic wall ahead of her. There were a tense few moments of silence, the woman's dark hair fluttering gently in the wind. Sebastian looked back to Naimanzuunnadintsetseg, then to their newcomer, releasing the grasp on his weapon. The woman drove her spear into the ground in front of her, dropping to one knee in front of them.

"I am Uuliinyagaantsetseg, I come with a warning... I do not wish to fight and I have nothing to be stolen. My tribe has fallen and I have no kin of my own. My pride as a warrior is wounded, but I cannot allow my brothers and sisters' loss to be for nothing." she announced solemnly, lowering her head in shame. "The southern tribes have grown wild, their efforts have become collected and coordinated. Please, I implore you to spread the message... even nothern tribes will not be safe if this continues."

Graham averted his gaze, visibly unsettled by the woman's plight. He looked at Cass hopefully, as if he hoped she would find some solution to the crisis.

Good to see Naiman was going to be joining them. It was surprising to see her out last, but there were more surprises ahead. Coordinated and collected? That sounded nothing like the bandits of Magonsaete. Tribes here didn't work together, they were all fighting for themselves... Right? That's how it was supposed to be? "Well met, Uuliin, yagaaant... S-Setseg," she tried, stuttering through it a bit, but managing. I supposed rolling Naiman's name through my head all morning was worthwhile after all. "Alain, drop the magic. Uuliin, can you tell us more of these... Coordinated tribes? From my understanding, entire regions don't simply collect themselves and begin to work together. Unless there's something stronger than all the tribes driving them to fight as one, but..." About to say 'I can't imagine such a thing', Cass' mind snapped back to Malaphar. They hadn't seen hide nor hair of him since Owen's momentary disappearing act, and she hadn't truly had him in mind because of the war... Would he be powerful enough to rouse such a thing?

"If there's anything else you can tell us, we would appreciate it... And large as our group already is, if you're pride isn't too wounded, you're free to travel with us. Strength in numbers, as the saying goes." Naiman and Astaroth could likely hunt well enough, this hulking woman looked like she could spear a horse in one throw. Anything smaller would be cut down with ease, Cass was slowly beginning to doubt their food stores would run into trouble... water, on the other hand... Something to worry about when it came about, she supposed.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Uuliinyagaansetseg. That was this other woman. Astaroth heard what he had feared the most. His tribe was not exactly small, but even they would not be able to stem the horde that would be a united southern tribe. "Well met, Uulinyagaansetseg. I am Astaroth of the Asarai. I heed your warning well, though I regrettably have no means of warning my people." Astaroth was not so worried, seeing as though a united southern tribe would run afoul of Cassandra and himself long before they could attempt a conquest of the Asarai. Looking down the road further, Astaroth realized that their ultimate destination was looking down the barbarian hordes. "Princess, we may not have much time. We are going to Magon, but what if the southern tribes get there first? We have to move quickly." Astaroth then heard the snarl that bellowed from his stomach. "After breakfast, of course." Astaroth sat down near the cooking pot.

"See, told ya she didn't seem t'be lookin' t'fight." Sylvia noted as the hulk of a woman... with another bloody impossible plains name... told them of her plight, burying the head of her spear into the dirt and dropping to one knee as a show of intent. But the tribes of Southern Magonsaete unifying? Such a thing was unheard of... no one had ever been able to band together the unruly tribals of this land before, who could have done so now? Cassandra had already asked the prudent questions, so all that was left was to await a reply.

Beset by a sense of childish mischief, Alain peered through the entrance of the tent. HeĀ hoped to catch a glimpse of Naiman scrambling to arm herself as news of their impending visitor roused her from her sleep. Such an image would prove to be a valuable source of ammunition with which he could assail the confident warrior with at a later date.Ā 

As light spilled inside, he felt his muscles tense and his mouth begin to dry. His cheeky grin was erased from existence, replaced by the clear understanding that he had, in fact, lost his boyish innocence long ago.Ā 

In a moment that spanned for eternity,Ā he stood frozen, bearing witness to eight-hundred flowers in full bloom.Ā 

Despite his intrusion, she continued her stretching unfettered. Unlike Accolon, she hadn't spared him so much as a look.Ā Had she, in overwhelming good faith, assumed that he'd remained outside as a proper fellowĀ ought to have? Or was she simply displaying a boldness he would have to learn was rather typical amongĀ Magonsaetian women?

Intoxicated as he was, Naiman's cold voice shook him back into sobriety. He cast his gaze aside, hoping against all hope that his oft-praised silver-tongue might present for him a string of pleasant words to abdicate him of his heinous crime. Ā Ā 

"... ... ..."

"... ... ... ..."

"Pardon me."

He excused himself with demonic speed, unsure of whether he should work towards purgingĀ the memory, or capturingĀ it forever. He pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes, letting out a deeply troubled sigh. Once was somewhat excusable, but twice in such a short span of timeĀ was starting to become a depressing ordeal.

Before he'd had proper time to compose himself, Naiman made good on her word, readying herself in record time. He tried to confront her for a brief moment, hoping to catch a glimpse of her face. Did she know, and not care? Or was he about to lose his eyes come nightfall?

He had to know.Ā 

But she, perhaps feeling as though he'd caught enough glimpses already, strut pastĀ him with icy resolve, dragging a frigid wind in her wake. Woefully defeated, he meandered after her, sparingĀ a passing thought as to whether powerful men such as Malaphar and Olaf had ever encountered suchĀ moments as well.Ā Ā Ā 

-:-

"Even so, it pays to be cautious in this land. The fate of your caravan is proof enough of that," he said, rejoining his companions. Any indications of his petty troublesĀ had been pushed aside to deal with the issues at hand. "To take anything at face value here isĀ nothing short of folly."Ā A woman like Scuttle had been proof enough of that. He wasn't interested in any more reminders.Ā 

But as things were, he found no ill-intent from the woman now kneeling in the face of the abyss.Ā She announced herself asĀ Uuliinyagaantsetseg, and she came bearing rather harrowing news. He stole a sideways glance over to Naiman. They bore rather similar names all things considered. Was it mere coincidence, or were they part of the same tribe? Strangers though they were, he couldn't help but hope it was the former. He owed her that much.

But still, he wasn't as surprised as Cassandra seemed to be. Wyke was long the object of affection for the bordering tribes and bandits. It was no surprise then that with her fall, a warlord should rise to begin itsĀ conquest in earnest. Barbarians or no, Magonsaete was not an exception to the rules. Some men were born to lead, and some men were born to follow.Ā WhoĀ they followed was ultimately of little consequence.Ā Ā 

"It shouldn't be so unimaginable, Cassandra." HeĀ swiped his hand through the air, and upon his command the abyss began to fall upon itself.Ā The earth began to return as it once was, leaving Uuliin with room to breathe a little easier.

"You saw the sheer stupidity of Danval's men, did you not?Ā They followed an incompetent foolĀ like that untilĀ the bloody end.Ā If the lot of the southern tribesĀ are anything like that, then it was only a matter of time before a wolf would rise to corralĀ the sheep."Ā 

But even so, the speed with which this operation was unfolding was troubling. Even if the sheep were waiting to be herded, the individual tribe leaders surely would have put up some sort of resistance. He folded his arms.Ā 

Just who might this faceless wolf be?Ā Ā Ā 

Whatever the case, he could at least be sure that this turmoil would jolt Cass from her fantasies.Ā And if the tribes of Magonsaete should unite under a banner, why should they not unite under hers? This faceless leader had done much of the work for them already. They just needed to dispose of him, and take his place.Ā Yes, this was the prime opportunity to muster a force strong enough to take back Wyke--with or without Owen's aid.

Either he would seat Cassandra atopĀ the throne, or strengthen Ethel's grip upon it.

Choose wisely, my dear friend.Ā