Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 5 Magonsaete Route

Shin

Alain's magic left, but his words did not, painting a clear picture of the situation for Cass-- or what he supposed it to be. It made sense, she couldn't fault it. With Wyke falling and Raewald off at war, now would be the time for some figure head to step in and corral what groups they could, cutting through those that didn't join in, and picking up the stragglers.

"Follow any incompetent fool, you say. Well... What if..." Perhaps Cassandra's dreams of leading an armed body of men through Wyke to defeat the Deirans holding it wasn't so far off. But, it wasn't so plainly cut out, either. If there was some figurehead ruling these tribes now, if that was the case, to take control of them all in a swift motion would require replacing them with someone stronger. That was how Magonsaete worked, might made right, and if someone could tear in and cut them down, they would be able to take over. How to make that person myself? Where do we go from here? This is difficult.

It couldn't be some cheap assassination either, any fool could sneak poison into a cup or a dagger through a sleeping neck. That wouldn't show anything, that would just disband the groups, cull the charge, send them back to being the aimless groups they were before. Cass sighed, placing her chin in her hand, resting her elbow in the other hand, looking off into the distance as she tried to think of an easy plan... There were no easy plans. "I suppose we start here," she said, just as aimless as her stare. Going back to waiting for any information that Uuliin might have had, Cass couldn't help but wonder if this was a good plan at all. A large part of her wanted it, but she also wished for peace and quiet. "Perhaps a war so blatant without these backstreet dealings would do me good," she muttered, again aimlessly thinking.

She'd left Owen in Myrcia because she couldn't handle all these political talks and meetings with danger hanging at the end of a well hidden weapon. But this? This would be dragging a swarm through what was left of Wyke. No subtlety present there...

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Power Vacuum

Uuliinyagaantsetseg listened to the group carefully, wary of the foreigners and their proposition of an alliance. "The Asarai? Unless you have other allies, I fear your tribe may fall as the rest have. It pains me to have to ask for aid, but my pride as a warrior has already been vanquished. If it can lead to balance being restored... I will do what it takes." she replied, bowing her head once again. She raised herself, looking curiously at Naimanzuunandintsetseg. Raising her arm, she pointed at the huntress. "Where do you hail from? Your attire reminds me of my own people. If the spirits have delivered me to kin... could I have received such a fate?"

Graham looked again to Cass hopefully, approaching the princess excitedly. "Cass, if somebody's gathering all the bad tribes, maybe getting the others to work together could stop them?" he suggested, trying to steady his nerves. "Somebody's got to be leading them all, if we can get enough people and take them out-..."

"An ambitious plan, but I know nothing of their leader, not their face, name or location. You speak of Danval and the Dragon Tribe... they were a force that deterred the south from travelling north." Uuliinyagaantsetseg interrupted, Graham's smile fading from his face. "Many of the other eastern and northern tribes were vanquished in the last month, allowing the south to rise. I do not understand what has created this alliance, normally they fight among themselves, betraying each other as soon as an opportunity presents."

-

To me, to you, to me, to you

Sebastian looked down at Astaroth, suavely handing him a bowl. "I would also very much recommend the remaining meals on our path to Magon. One breakfast is unlikely to sustain you for the week's travel required." Sebastian remarked, continuing to stir the pot. "At our current rate, we are likely to meet most of Magonsaete along the way to Magon. Perhaps some of your own tribe would be kind enough to greet us?"

Fate seemed to have a cruel sense of humour, it wasn't clear how long they'd been there, but two men were standing about a foot behind Sebastian. As cunning as he was, the butler hadn't picked up on them at all. Both were brown haired and rather scruffy looking, sporting untidy mustaches. The taller one grinned foolishly, waving to Astaroth. The other quickly smacked him gently on the head, giving him a stern glare.

"Don't be looking daft like that, Barry." he scolded, the other looking rather bewildered. "They're going to think we're a pair of strangers if yer look like that. The chief's here too, try and look presentable. Sorry for the delay, chief... things have been a little topsy turvy back at home. With all the trouble going on, it was hard to find somebody spare to come help you."

"Paul's right, boss. They said that we were just the people for the job." Barry added, nodding his head quickly. "They said that if we went and came to help you out. They said that the village would be OK without us."

Astaroth looked up from his bowl of porridge and saw his two associates. "Glad to see you both didn't freeze to death last night. Princess, these are my most trusted friends, Barry and Paul. Barry is a little bit foolish, but he has a good heart, and is obedient to the letter. Paul is reserved and well mannered, but tends to take himself rather seriously. I hope they will be as useful to you as they are to me." Tending to the other matter at hand, Astaroth looked at Uuliin to speak. " Many of the tribes around me are bloodthirsty. I had fortifications built to protect my lands from them. As for to them being wiped out, I had to deal with the possibility before you talked of the Southern Tribes. Also, you mentioned your people were wiped out, but not how. Was it in war? Or were the means more devious, like poison or magic? If it was the latter, no tribe can withstand an inferno or a poisoned water supply. Not even the largest of them. Also, what use is a warrior's honor if their foe is equally dishonorable? It's not smart to hold to honor when one side lacks it." Astaroth went to reattach his horse to the wagon.The horse did not resist being hitched as it did last time, as the presence of trusted faces calmed it.

A force that deterred the south from the north? At fault or not, Cass wasn't about to die to help these clans stay in relative peace... But the rest of the tribes being vanquished... "Damn it all," she groaned, frustratingly tapping her foot against the dirt. "That's our fault as well. Owen, and the rest of the group. When we passed through... We ended up fighting many a group of roaming bandits, and it was them or us. If that's what's causing all of this right now, then..." Then you have some duty to fix it? It's partly your fault, yes, but that doesn't mean it's something you should feel bad about! They're bandits, yes, they're people, and they have a way of life, but if you'd just rolled over and accepted death, then... Ugh.

Cass was rolling mental circles about herself, this was too frustrating, for the wrong reasons. She wanted to do something, but with no aid up north save them, except for Astaroth's... Apparently some of his tribe had made themselves known. How they'd snuck up without alerting Sebastian was mildly alarming, but i was no matter if they weren't here to start a further fight. Cass was still too preoccupied, but maybe there wasn't a solution right now. They didn't have enough information, who was leading the tribes, if that mattered, where they were, and who was willing to stand against them.

With a further sigh, Cass looked to Uuliin, wondering if this was a good idea. "I had planned to press towards Magon, but with this threat encroaching across the country, I fear they will make it there before we do. To that end... I don't know what to do." It was surprisingly painful to admit, but it was the truth. They could head north and try to collect whatever remaining tribesmen they could, if they would even listen, and then face this army directly, or they could continue south and figure out a way to decapitate the head ruling them. Either was difficult. Either would be painful. You could always run away. To where? Wyke was gone, she'd deserted the Raewaldian army, Wihtwar... was an option, if they could make it through Raewald, but...

"What do the rest of you think?" She scanned eyes around, looking for help. "We could try to find whoever's left and face this threat, we can attempt to take it over, or we can just run away. I don't have an easy solution to any of them... But having just finished wiping Danval's Dragons off the map, we've become a small part of this." She let her eyes rest on Alain. He was the diplomat, he'd dealt with these things before. What did he think of it now?

“Well, it is nice to meet you, Uuliinyagaantsetseg.” Hiero then bowed. I can’t believe I’m bowing to a bandit. This is so unusual, Hiero thought. Hiero then stood upright again. “But let’s talk about this after breakfast.” Hiero walked over and sat next to Astaroth. He made a nod of notice at Astaroth’s two lackeys. “What do you make of this, Astaroth?” Hiero whispered to Astaroth.

Incredible. Alain brought a hand up to his mouth. He didn't want to disrespect the already wounded warrior, but the way she spoke of Danval was almost too much to bear. Who could have imagined that charlatan and his band of lecherous brutes were playing such an integral role in maintaining the power balance of the region? He might have felt bad if not for the fact that the Dragons weren't exactly paragons of noble intentions. The world was probably better off without them. 

"A good start, but far too narrow in scope Graham," he finally said, regaining some of his composure. "It's not a matter of gathering the "good" tribes to fight the "bad" tribes. That's too simplistic. It's too naive..." A knowing look began to creep up on his face--one that he made no efforts to hide.

It's a matter of survival. And when it comes down to that, well, you tend not to give a damn about being on the good side or the bad side. What matters is ending up on the winning side.

"A king has a duty to protect his people before all else. I imagine the same holds true of the tribal leaders of Magonsaete," he said, looking between the three present natives.

"Unfortunately, it appears Uuliinyagaantsetseg has seen first hand what lies in store for those who try to be "good". Now tell me, who among you would you stake the well being of your entire clan on some grand delusions brought forth by... a bunch of misplaced foreigners, a disgraced warrior with no home, and a self-important chieftain?" 

He let out a pained laugh. "Some people might. I sure wouldn't," he admitted.

"Honestly, we have no way of knowing just how outmatched we really are. And the way I see it, there's simply no guarantee that the tribes of the north will readily come to terms with us--even with the backing of the Asarai."

He sighed. Worse still, he had no way of knowing how outmatched he was. Politics was one thing, but he was no General Tarasque. The best way to learn a game was to play it, but this was surely one hell of a game to be playing...

"But I do know that allowing this conquest to continue unimpeded could have dire consequences on the war that surrounds us. The momentum of this southern coalition will likely engulf this land and stretch its arms towards either Raewald or Wyke--both would be disastrous for reasons I need not explain," he said, holding steady to Cassandra's gaze. 

"What we need is something that will make our side seem like the winning side from the outset. Otherwise, joining us instead of fleeing or allying with the southern tribes would be tantamount to suicide. Luckily, I have some "friends" in the region who happen to dabble in these so called 'devious' arts," he said, his eyes gleaming with devilish intent. 

If he could gather Belial's followers under a single banner, then what their group lacked in numbers they could make up for in sheer strength. Petitioning the aid of the remaining tribes would be a far easier task with a legion of sorcerers at his beck and call. 

"I do wonder what sorts of stories the people here tell of Belial." 

Belial. A name Astaroth only knew from being a follower of Engel. Dangerous and manipulative as Belial was, having to contend with his influence in Magonsaete would be much more preferable than having to get the other tribesman to believe in anything. Still, Astaroth couldn't help but scoff at the notion that any such followers exist in Magonsaete.  "Belial. The people here are so godless and unreligious that even a god of plunder would offend them. If there was anyone that followed the old devil, they would be either dead, or even farther away than Magon. No, that would only work if you could send up some sort of beacon, or have him call out to his followers. But you wouldn't know how to do that, would you?" Astaroth then turned to Hiero, acknowledging his comment. "Truth be told, Hiero, this is what I have feared most. I wish I could go home, but I can't leave the princess here in this place. If she wants to come back to Asaria, then we will come back. If not, we will have to press on." Astaroth finished his bowl of porridge.

Alain's musings were definitely interesting. It made sense, of course, that some rabble from outside the country would do little to rouse the people with delusions of grandeur and barely a force behind them. Some would likely laugh at them. Still, something had to be done, they'd set this in motion accidentally or not, and it was going to wash over what was left of Wyke and parts of Raewald like an angry tide if it was left to grow.

At least, when Alain's eyes met hers, they weren't full of despair, but of planning. Friends who dabble in the devious? That could only be-- there it was. Belial. Cass thought back to the page she was given, wondering if it would be soon that she'd be testing her own magical might against the darker arts... It didn't bother her, truly, Belial had done nothing to harm her growing up or otherwise... Engel on the other hand. Cass could only sigh.

Astaroth's comments almost made her sigh harder, holding it back and shooting him a bemused glance. "I do not remember saying you owe me anything, 'chieftain'. If you wish to return to your home to discern the safety of your people, then do so. Do not think you must remain here for purposes outside your own." And his snide commentary on Alain's knowledge of the area and other followers made her groan. "Could you shut up? There was a church for Engel in Magon, and if there was a church for Engel, the other side will be around here somewhere." How frustrating.

"Let us meet with your friends, Alain. The people here seem wary of magic and the occult. If we could harness some power that frightened them into stopping this, or... Turned some of the southern tribes against the central mass, that would be a good place to start. It would certainly get word of us passed around, at the least." Whether or not that would mean getting trounced quickly or having it develop into something bigger, she couldn't say for now.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

"Well, tryin' t'take all this and turn it on it's head almost seems impossible... but then, if you say that on your first pass y'all might've been the cause a this mess t'start with, well... nothin's impossible at that point." Sylvia added with a grin, the ongoing talks quite different than anything she had been expecting to be involved with after being marooned. It was almost assuredly a suicide mission, but life itself was full of those, and the ex-privateer certainly wasn't dead yet.

"Sounds like an adventure, don't it? N'Besides... iffin y'really want t'go and try what you were talkin about last night in Wyke, this is probably the only chance y'got, ain't it? And iffin y'can kick Deira outta there, it ain't like that don't help what I'd been pinin' after neither, so I don't got no problems. In order t'make anything change, ya gotta gamble sometimes... and me. I'm feelin' lucky."

The muted "pardon me" and accompanying silence had told Naimanzuunnadintsetseg everything she'd needed to know. Now she just had to hope the man wouldn't do something stupid and make things awkward. It was a fleeting wish--a loose petal, wobbling, about to fall--as there'd been a moment where he tried catching her attention, but since there were enough other worthy centers of focus, pretending she hadn't noticed served her well enough.

Uuliinyagaantsetseg. A name not unlike her own, and with apparel to match. Their physiques differed, yes, but not to the point where one's athleticism denied the other's. They were both cut from a similar cloth; neither were the type of dainty flower as would wilt from the slightest inclement weather. Nay, these were robust blossoms that had faced down wind, rain, and the harsh rays of unrelenting sun, yet still held their heads high.

It was almost curious, how similar their plights were. Naimanzuunnadintsetseg frowned, wondering how it was that more than just her tribe should have fallen, and in such a short span of time. Perhaps...? Racking her brain, trying to remember the names and faces of every fellow warrior, she cursed again the sheltered treatment her father had given her, even after she had won a proper place as his son.

Had it been a united southern tribes, ranging afield and raiding, that had been responsible for the loss of her home? Naimanzuunnadintsetseg did not know, having been out on a hunt. The very notion of such was disconcerting, and Uuliinyagaantsetseg's warning only revealed so much. Still she hardly seemed the type to spread false rumor and deal in intrigues, refusing to take her words at face value was foolhardy.

At nearly the same time as Sandy order her retainer to drop his magic spell, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg had been making a waving, dismissive motion with her arms, and had shot him a short, pointed glare to get much the same message across. Astaroth's first thought was to his own tribe, for which one could hardly fault him, but he seemed almost as if he was taking a backseat to the princess as far as setting a firm decision, either on the inclusion of this new warrior to their party, or on their destination. Perhaps she shouldn't fault him too much, but something inside her longed that he had done better.

Thankfully Alain had finally dismissed whatever strange and foul magics he had conjured, and the way between them was now clear. Naimanzuunnadintsetseg was already moving close, driving the tip of her bow--stiffened by bone laths and sharpened at the end--into the ground beside Uuliinyagaantsetseg's spear, a show of trust and mutual respect. Their weapons now stood together, like they would stand together. Having been directly addressed with questions, she openly answered the other woman. "I am Naimanzuunnadintsetseg, proud son of Altan, and brave warrior of the Ulagan tribe, who are no more. When I returned from a hunt with Eiji, Taban, and Muunokhoi, we met with but ruins, and I could not persuade them to unified course of action. Like fools, we split, scattering to the winds. Small fortune found me a caravan to join my fate with, for what mixed blessings that has brought."

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg was unphased by the revelation that Danval and his thugs had been one of the forces keeping the balance in check. Removing just one, especially when considering the immediate alternative, was no reason for guilt. In a healthy state of the plains, another would just as soon sweep in to fill his vacuum. Unless she continued to take part in some more coordinated rampage across the lands, the responsibility incurred by her actions of yesterday was slight. The arrival of Astaroth's other underlings was not as encouraging to her as if they had been more like Uuliinyagaantsetseg, but nonetheless the small party was now starting to resemble a proper band at least.

Sandy's revelation that her previous visit to these parts, with presumably a much larger number of followers, had done just such a thing--a coordinated removal of many dangerous elements, in short succession, was surprising and eye-opening. Turning her head back for another appraisal of the princess, she began to open her mouth to speak out, only to shut it again. It seemed her previous success was now brewing strange ideas, and one odd inspiration often begat another. How would the wheel of fortune turn? Alain began speaking straight wisdow--loath though she might be to admit it, his dabbling in the darkest arts was not because he was a dotard at least, unaware of the dangers. Perhaps some deeper desperation drove him? But just as he'd been speaking a good deal of sense, it seemed his conclusion led to... an unknown?

"Beh-lye-el?" Naimanzuunnadintsetseg sounded out the unfamiliar name, cocking her head in confusion. Astaroth, apparently, had some familiarity with what was apparently just another fool god worshipped by one brand of misguided devout or another. When even Father Sky and Mother Nature were distant, who in their right mind would pin hopes and dreams on entities even further removed from daily life. She brought a palm to her face, and shook her head, suddenly weary, as if having already spent a full day of travelling. "The last thing we need is more of that nonsense," she sighed, turning back to the giantess. "Don't you agree?" Sylvia seemed excited to be a part of some grand plan, foolish magicks or not, so she could scarcely count on her friend of a few days for the kind of support she was looking for. Her highest hope for another with a solid head on their shoulders now fell to the other tribeswoman.

"Sometimes a little nonsense is just what the doctor ordered, no? It's not like we can really deny what chances we've got, iffin we're gonna go through with tryina' stop this thing or turn it on it's head. Beatin' yer head against something that big without some kinda trick isn't gonna do nothin'. Granted, it might be best not to chance it and let things be, take another course... but if we're gonna do this thing, well... maybe we need somethin' crazy on our side." Sylvia chimed in at Aster's display of solidarity, as well as her comments towards the current ideas floating around... by the gods... or by Belial was the most appropriate given the situation... girl even if you're not used to magic and don't fully trust it, sometimes you need stuff like that.

Such arrogance... That this paltry "chieftain" would speak of him with such brazen condescension was at once both infuriating and amusing--and with such casualness! Alain shook his head, his eyes filled with incredulity. Engel above. He could only imagine what sorts of vile sins his tribe must have committed to have been cursed with such a man as their leader.      

"For a people who know very little beyond the scope of hunting and gathering, you lot speak as though you were born with enough knowledge to surpass my own mentors."

He ran an idle hand through his hair, trying to maintain his composure. Somewhere within the darkest depths of his heart he could feel wicked desire beginning to surface. Oh how it longed to deliver the man to the abyss which he mocked with such conviction. When Belial's kin had him in their grasp, ready to sate their hunger, what sort of drivel would he vomit out then? Would he curse his folly, or hold true to his conceit?

He shook his head and let out a tired sigh. Such cruelness was ill-befitting of him, and the imagery itself was enough to sate him. In fact, the folly was his own. He was expecting far too much from a man who knew far too little. The very idea of an army was sure to have roused Belial's interest. Even if it took a miracle, he'd get what he needed. He was certain.  

"As I recall, you were feeling quite slighted by Cassandra's words last night, were you not? And yet here you are, singing very much the same tune. How odd." He frowned, his attention turning towards the huntress. Regrettably, her own tribe had apparently been decimated much in the same way the Uuliin's had. And not too long ago in-fact. But rather than showing some humility, she continued with Astaroth's mockery where he had left off. Could he fault her for her skepticism? Perhaps not. But still... 

He cocked his head to the side, bringing a hand to rest upon his chin. "But of course you're right, what need have we of such blatant nonsense? Surely the huntress knows better than I on matters of the arcane. Shall I go and gather some bundles of grass to win our battles then? Or shall we instead wage war with sharpened sticks and pointed rocks?" 

Directions from Darkness

Uuliinyagaantsetseg looked down grimly, the questions from Astaroth about her people's death weighing heavily on her mind. "The southern tribes eliminated most of the others... but mine fell to a single man. He was not large nor did he use trickery... he killed everyone with magic. No matter how many people came at him, they all fell." she replied, visibly sturbed by the recollection."He gave off a terrifying aura, it was so calm... but we felt dread the moment we saw him. He wasn't vicious or underhanded... just evil, the worst evil I'd ever seen."

"Then we fight this wizard guy and sort out Magonsaete. If we get enough of the other tribes to help us out, we might be able to this place into a country. Just got to get enough people backing us up. Might be able to get them to help out Wyke afterwards, I'm with you if you want to do that." Aurelio replied firmly, clearly unaware of the gravity of the situation. He stood by Cass, crossing his arms as he smirked at Alain. "You didn't really strike as the type to make friends with cavepeople. Unless you're the one who does their homework for them."

His smile faded as Alain mentioned Belial, both him and Graham left lost for words as he spoke of the dark god. Graham turned to Cass again, even more confused by her agreement. He pointed weakly at Alain, moving his finger between the two of them. "I'm getting really confused, I thought Belial was bad..." he muttered, trying to process his allies' connection to the ultimate evil. They were getting in for a lot more than he had expected, what were they actually trying to achieve.

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg's gesture took Uuliinyagaantsetseg by surprise, her eyes were fixed on the impaled bow and ran up and down it for several seconds. "Chief Altan? Ulagan? We are indeed from the same tribe... I recall Altan's other sons had perished, I had not been aware that he had another. I know of your travelling companions, they were good men. It is a shame that they all went their own ways." she replied, giving a gentle smile. "If one of my kin survive, I am alone no more. If you are the son of Altan I shall stay by you. Fellow tribesmen should not working alone."

Aurelio let out a cough, interrupting the reunion. "As touching a reunion this is, we still need a way forward. If Alain here can gather his goat-sacrificing buddies to help us out, that's great, but it's not like he can send them a letter asking them to gather." he interjected, still dubious about the group's involvement with Belial.

Either Belial had been listening to Alain or fate was rather cruel, but there was some sort of sign for the diplomat. The wind had been blowing gently for some time, dust from the dry soil being swept from the ground. Ridges in the soil, lumps of dirt that had been swept away to create the image of an arrow, pointing off into the horizon. It was a crude sign, but its timing was far too convenient.

Son? That confused Cass perhaps more than all this talk of magic and war, wasn't Naiman a woman? Or had Cass' appraisal been wrong? They certainly sounded like one, and seemed to take no issue with being addressed as one... How bizarre. Cass had thought that she was already toeing the line of what was odd in the world, but there was always something else, wasn't there? I'll have to ask her... Him? Later. Confusion withheld, Naiman did do something rather helpful for the discussion at hand. Referring to it as nonsense, alongside Astaroth's lovely denial of things, it was exactly what they needed. Not from these two in particular, but it painted the picture well enough.

Unfortunately, so did Uuliin's description of what had happened to her tribes. Calm but dreadful, the very sight of him giving off this aura of evil. Unless Malaphar had a brother they hadn't met, this was undoubtedly him. That made matters much worse. What was he doing stirring up the tribes of Magonsaete? Was this what he'd been doing with all of his time since they'd last seen him? It didn't quite register, there wasn't a purpose behind it that she could see. What it did mean was that the wizard was in the area, or had been, and likely his undying lackeys would be following close behind... If they are even his lackeys. It was an assumption we'd made, but...

There was naught to be done with thoughts of powerful wizards that cause fear at a glance, they had other work to attend to. Owen and his allies had escaped whatever magic had come over them that time, if Malaphar came to them once again, they would do so themselves. Every magician has a secret, or so was said. "Unfortunately they don't reveal their tricks," she grumbled to herself, thinking about the best way to present things from this point...

No, it was still clear. Naiman, Uulin and Astaroth all had proven their point well enough. "Alain, there's no need to get snippy. In fact, this rejection is exactly what we need. It's quite the small sample size, but if it holds true for the rest of Magonsaete's citizens," she almost stuttered the word out, citizens of a bandit country, that was nearly worth a laugh, "then this will work without doubt. It's something they don't understand, and if they can't fathom it, the fear will drive them. It's what we'll need to start this." It was their most worthwhile shot, at least. Their few plains dwelling 'friends' would simply have to get used to the sights of Belial's magics. Tough break.

As for evil, well... "And who says Belial is evil? The church. Do you take their word at the drop of a hat? I'd put my life in Alain's hands before I thought to trust anyone who spoke of Engel back in Wyke." That wasn't to say they were all bad, but the institution, the force behind it, that was something she couldn't bring herself to trust. It was already so rooted that even Raewald, queen's influence or not, the people were still driven by it. What madness. I suppose that not all of Belial's followers are quite like Alain, but until I see similar to the church I know, it's going to feel that way. Cass was about to move on to Aurelio's words and how easy he thought this was, but she was distracted.

"Eerie," she stated, almost whimsically, "but I suppose we have a direction to follow, now... Nonsense indeed. I cannot say why the lot of you Magonsaetians are so worried or troubled by magic, save perhaps for Uuliin. Hopefully soon you will see that it is something you can trust, if you are to harness it for yourself. Fear of it is only for those that can't make it work." Cass knew all too well about fearing the damages of magic. Her left arm twitched a moment, grabbing at her shoulder before looking off to Alain. "If we're to trust this as a sign, then let's be off. There's no telling when the next delightful band of bandits will be upon us... And if things are already so grave up here, if we're to kill more, I'd much rather they be from down south." Perhaps I'm insane to think this, but... Can you hear me, Belial? If this is some sign of a promising path, then thank you. You've already done more for me than I could've asked. Only time would tell how promising this direction would truly be.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

A mage powerful enough to burn down a village? That was something Astaroth couldn't ignore. It seemed Princess Cassandra knew the individual that Uuliin spoke of, and that this individual was most likely immensely powerful. Other than Alain, Astaroth knew no other mages worthy of the title. This individual was far ahead of Alain, and that terrified Astaroth.

Graham's confusion didn't help matters, nor did Cassandra's rebuttal. Astaroth may have taken offense to her insulting Engel, but not the Church. He followed Engel, but on his own, not through the vague preachings of a man twice his age. On the contrary, her words about Belial weren't incorrect, but he knew that what the old devil lacked in malice, he made up for in desire. Cassandra cleared on one side, maybe he could clear the air on the other. "The Church is not all of the followers of Engel. I don't trust priests, and I don't think I ever will. It is up to the believer to seek Engel's grace, not a priest to bestow it. If I need them to reconcile my wrongdoing, then why would they preach of Engel's grace?"

The question was interrupted by a stiff breeze and an arrow carved in the dust. "Well, that wasn't at all creepy." Looking in the direction of the arrow, Astaroth prepared to get the wagon oriented properly. "Barry, you and Paul help pack up the tents." As much as he wanted Hiero to help them also, Astaroth realized Hiero was still eating breakfast.

As soon as Astaroth had finished talking, Hiero had finished eating. Hiero then pulled out a small flask containing water. “Belial....Engel” Hiero mumbled. “Arguments like this are why I don’t believe in those two. And for that other reason....” Hiero then took a swig of the water. Once he finished, he turned towards Astaroth. “Ast, want me to help those two pack up the tent. They might need the help.”

Edited by Poimagic
To make Hiero not look dumb

The arguments continued over the efficacy of magic, Belial... essentially it boiled down to which was all that was good in the world and which was an evil virus of sata-Belial. Sylvia didn't have too much stake in the religious side of the debate... seadogs like herself had largely given up on praying to either deity... on her own ship, the Captain had set up a small shrine aboard to Europa... he had called her the patron saint of grog, gold, and loose wenches. It had seemed silly at first, but became a comfort over time... after all, what true deity would care about a crew of pirates on the open seas? Neither would, that was a given... but if a saint existed in the clouds that might look over them specifically? Well, perhaps they might get a word in edgewise... if none of it was real, then what did it matter anyway? 

Still, as the winds shifted and the eerily visible arrow made itself known on the dirt and grass of the plains, Sylvia gawked for a short moment. Well, that was a sign if nothing else was... or maybe she was just going insane?

"Anyone else seein' that arrow that suddenly cropped up? Or am I just losin' it?"

Of course, who else should be his opponent but the most powerful man in the world? It was all starting to come back full circle wasn't it? Belial, the elixir, Malaphar, his world, the cults, the dreams, and now this.

Damn it all. Anyone else. If it had been anyone else, he would have been fine--confident even. Sure he was no military general, but he had a fairly sharp mind. But how was he supposed to win a war against a man who could decimate entire tribes of people by himself? By himself! He had stunning mastery over magic. He could bring people back from the dead. And worst of all, he could play god in his own little world. This was a man who had lived at least twenty of Alain's own lifetimes. And the only thing Alain had in the way of a trump card was a key to the backdoor that he didn't even have control over.

Unfair didn't even begin to describe it. 

"I'm aware, but if we are to remain allies, I'd rather not have them doubting me at every turn," he replied. Cassandra had a point though. It was better if these tribesmen didn't understand Belial or magic in general. He didn't really need them to. Where Naiman and Astaroth were questioning its merits, he would soon have the rest of the northern tribes questioning its limits.

With that, he would have a proper vehicle to garner their support. 

Although... wasn't she acting a bit too rational and composed? There was little merit in bringing up Malaphar now in front of the entire group, but surely she knew as well as he did about his involvement. It was a bit surprising then that she wasn't trying to convince him to drop the act and plan for a swift retreat instead. Did she... even understand just how dangerous things had become now that he was involved?

Or did she just not care? 

"In any event, the sign which you all asked for has come to pass. We should make haste," he muttered, his gaze lingering on the arrow. It hadn't been anything as flashy as a beacon, but it was sure to suffice. Though no doubt Naiman would try to pass it off as some trickery, but it didn't matter much. As long as his "friends" had managed to steer clear of Malaphar, he would have his vindication soon enough. 

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg sighed as Sylvia tried to talk her down from a hardline anti-magic stance. Pragmatically speaking, she had a point. The huntress couldn't deny the efficacy of its uses, either in combat, or in healing, having borne abundant witness to both these past couple days. She still didn't have to like it though. The particular jab Alain had tossed her way regarding her spat with Sandy last night didn't seem like it applied here, but she certainly felt the barbs when he began to look down on the bundled grass she'd provided them, and her use of arrows. How dare he! She shot him a severe glare and bit her lip, trying to find the proper comeback for such insult, yet found herself soon distracted by another reply, more close to home.

While Uuliinyagaantsetseg's description of a lone warlock's decimation on her tribe brought the hair on the back of her neck standing on end, what really arrested Naimanzuunnadintsetseg's attention was the revelation that the warrior woman's tribe and her own were one and the same. She found herself speechless, and simply clasped the other woman to her, left shoulder to right shoulder, then right shoulder to left shoulder. Then breaking the embrace, she nodded and fought back tears at her true words regarding fellow tribesmen sharing their plights.

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg still had not quite found her voice by the time a delicate, yet deliberate, cough reminded her of the yet unfinished business regarding the group's future plans. She turned her head in time to see the sands seeming to sweep away, leaving an ominous arrow in their wake. She couldn't help but shudder a little at the sight. Sandy was the first to speak up, and in somewhat of a surprise, she was doing her best to reconcile all side. Perhaps there is some leader in her after all, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg found herself thinking. Their ways were obviously not her ways, but... so far they had done nothing outright to betray her trust. Even their questionable uses of magicks had been with good intentions and the princess's small band obviously put a lot of stock in each other's strengths.

"Not just you, Sylvia," she finally found strength to utter, answering the privateer's doubting question. "I'm sure we all see it, though I doubt it meets with the same reception for all of us..." The others no doubt took some welcome from its arrival, and even Astaroth and his men appeared to at least be on board with the decision to follow its lead. Far be it from her to be the sole dissent.

Alain was still obviously a little unhappy of the disrespect his liege, or whatever Belial was, had been shown by 'savages' such as herself, but Naimanzuunnadintsetseg could not see herself going out of her way to mend that bridge just yet. Let him be a little ruffled. Throwing up her hands in a bit of a shrug, she shook her head then grabbed her bow from where she'd thrust it. "Let it not be said you have to wait on me. Come, while those ones take care of the other two tents, let us be quick with packing ours." Leaving those words for the other girls, she strode off first towards where they had spent the night.

Relocation Destination

Graham was still rather unsettled, even Cass couldn't reassure him of trusting Belial. The arrow did very little to satiate his woes, the mysterious sign from beyond only added to his confusion. "I guess we don't really have any better options... maybe they're not all bad? Alain seems friendly, and if they're like him we should be OK." he suggested, trying to convince himself more than anyone else. This wizard guy sounds strong... but I'll do my best to help. This is starting to sound as crazy as Owen and trying to fight Deira, I hope he's doing OK."

The young noble turned to Sebastian for reassurance, his butler giving him a serious stare. It didn't exactly help, but at least he wasn't interjecting. Sebastian's glance was granted to Cass and Alain also, almost as a reminder of who they had faced before.

"You don't sound that different from the priests to me, Clip-clop. Any more of your tribal wisdom and I'll start missing Escablor. I don't trust anything that I don't see with my two eyes. If our fancy friend's got his spooky magic and it helps us out, it gets the job done." Aurelio remarked, having regained his bravado after the arrow's appearance. "Once the chuckle brothers are done packing up we should get moving. If they ask for a sacrifice, we can always offer Hiero, he seems to have a knack for going down."

The arrow remained carved into the ground, despite how brittle the soil had been as it had formed. The wind died down as soon as it had come, their ominous sign showing their way forward. Barry and Paul wre fumbling with the tents, not entirely familiar with the contraptions. Barry had managed to tangle himself among the sheets and poles, his brother trying to instruct him with minimal physical input.

"You need to make sure yer fold it right, otherwise we won't be able to carry it properly." Paul lectured, picking up an edge of the sheet and folding it towards his brother. Barry was only getting more confused, giving him brother a gormless blank stare. "You're doing it wrong, give it to me."

"Giving it to you. I don't understand why people would want to live in houses that you can fold up, seems a bit strange to me." Barry replied, his brother now getting caught up in his mess. "If I had a house, I'd just make it in a place I wanted to live, then I wouldn't have to move it."

Edited by Shin

Morning of 22nd May 812 - Magonsaete Plains

Following the mysterious sign given to them by Belial, Cass' group continued across the plains towards what was hopefully a collection of fellow Belialists. Their journey had been devoid of bandits, almost eerily so. Other than a slightly unsettling sense of being watched, the group was entirely isolated from the outside world. Several hours had passed and the plains seemed to continue, unchanging after their travels. Even after a day it was all the same, the seemingly endless march was ready to give them another day of trudging. Clouds were starting gather overhead, the scent of rain warning the nostrils of the natives. Without any shelter in the surrounding area, setting up camp to escape the weather became an increasingly likely last resort. As rain started to drop, the yellow plains darkened, becoming muddier and more hazardous. The horizon faded into a grey mist, the visibility poor even from the hill they were on.

"It may be wise for us to seek shelter, Princess. Although that being said, our options are rather limited." Sebastian warned, the rain flattening his previously tidy hair. The butler was relatively settled, but it was clear that even he knew their situation was poor. "Unless Sir Duhamel can acquire any other directions, we may have to miss meeting his affable comrades."

Aurelio was rather displeased, the man clearly wasn't dressed for wet weather, nor did he particularly enjoy a prolonged free shower. "Any more arrows showing up in the soil, or has your drinking buddy in the abyss decided to leave you hanging?" he complained, crossing his arms. "I'm all for trying to sort this mess out, but on top of a soggy hill doesn't really fill me with hope."

Barry and Paul were caught up in more important matters, their unique intellect dedicated to another task. "If Belial's evil, does that mean Engel's good?" Barry asked, scratching his head. "But what if Belial's not evil, does that mean Engel is? It'd be silly if they both picked the same side by accident, then all the people following them would be real numpties."

"It's not like jousting, Barry. There could be more than just two people involved. Like what if there were three sides? You know, like one of those triangular things... you know when there's three sides..." Paul replied, scratching his chin.

"You mean a triangle? That shape thing with three sides?" Barry responded, looking genuinely pleased with his answer. "I don't know what shapes have to do with it. They'd have to be on different sides anyway, if both of them are evil or good everyone's just wasting their t-..."

Paul smacked Barry on the head, scolding his brother for such a simple answer. "I meant a trinity, you fool. If there's people living in the sky and under the ground, it's going to be far more complicated than that! Engel might be moderately slightly evil, and Belial could be rather but not entirely evil. I don't know how I put up with a blockhead like you."

Everyone is free to post!

"I'd say the top of a soggy hill is a vast improvement over that hovel you were living out of. As long as we've not steered off course we should be fine," he muttered, slicking his hair back. Or so he said, but even he had to admit to being a little worried. The monotony of the landscape was hardly instilling any confidence in him, and there was always the chance that Malaphar had come by for another massacre. But what else could he do? Most of his tea-time chats tended to occur over the stench of his own death--and he wasn't going to stick himself on a sword just to show up and ask for some more directions. 

"I'd say the grey mist is a sign of our impending arrival." A total and utter lie, but anything to abate the mounting complaints for another hour or two. He looked over to Cassandra, curious as to her thoughts on the matter. She was the closest thing he had to another "believer" but it stood to reason that she too may have been questioning her faith. Either way, it was ultimately her decision on how they would proceed. 

At least Barry and Paul were having themselves a productive time. For a pair of uncultured brutes, they were surprisingly intelligible when it came to their debates... in a round-about sort of way. He pursed his lips together into something of a thin smile.

The subject of their discussion was one he'd thought of once in a while, but he reached the conclusion that it didn't really matter to him one way or the other. He'd accepted Belial's call with the worst possible scenario already in mind. And as far as he was concerned, he was only in it for the knowledge. He was a mage after all, and of the three branches of magic only one remained wholly unexplored by most men. The truths between Belial and Engel changed little about his decision.

As the rains had began, Cass had made haste in tying her hair up. It wouldn't do to have a soggy pink mat stuck to her face. The rain came, her hair was out of her eyes, and the mildly warm wash was actually quite pleasing. They'd been traveling for a while, and while Cass had tried to take care of herself when possible, it wasn't always. If she hadn't been with a group of people, a part of her would've been tempted to strip down to her underwear and give her body a good rinse. This would have to do for now. Approaching Alain with an all too pleased grin on her face, she was lucky her dress was blue, though the rain wasn't doing her any favors with how it was beginning to cling.

"A sign, is it? Well, it's morning, so we've plenty of time to continue our little stroll, but come night time if we haven't made proper shelter, we're all going to freeze... I don't suppose Belial's deciding to tell you anything, Alain?" Hasn't answered me, but I suppose not using his magic yet is proving to be quite the issue. She had no issues with continuing along, and so she began to, walking as she spoke with him. The lack of bandits about the place was rather alarming as well... Had that Danval really been the last of the groups around here, keeping the southern tribes at bay? It was too curious.

"If we don't find your friends by the evening, we'll have to stop, dry off, and make a proper camp. Let's hope we run into them."

Rain. And not just a passing brief shower by the smell of things. An hour probably, perhaps most of the morning, or worse the entire day. At least the winds were relatively calm for the time being, they should expect no gale, unless fickle Mother Nature changed her mind. Still, this was not ideal weather for travel.

A knot of people had already gathered atop a hill, where visibility had been better, until just recently, trying to ascertain if they were still on proper course, and discussion had turned toward the current, wet, predicament. Naimanzuunnadintsetseg was wearing her heavier furs, which did much to keep the out the damp, and even once thoroughly soaked would still provide quite a deal of warmth. Throwing her leather hood up, she moved to join them, having taken somewhat more of an interest in the larger course of things compared to previously, and decided to weigh in with her opinions.

"I am not so sure we will be able to press on safely for much longer, setting aside our own discomfort. While the way has never been particularly smooth, after prolonged rain the ground will turn to muck and mire, and we risk the wagon. I doubt even Sylvia could fit it up for rafting, on the off chance the storm strengthened to floods, such as to make the thing possible, and while I have many skills myself, repairing a broken wheel or axle after it inevitably gets stuck is not one of them," she noted with a concerned look on her face.

"If this is a sign, though," she paused to shoot a disbelieving look at Alain, "Leaving it behind and returning for it later, or never at all, is an option. In either instance, we ought stay off the hilltops going forward, lest we tempt Father Sky's javelins."

Having given the horse a break at pulling their carriage, Cass couldn't shake a few things from her mind. They weren't important things, but they were stuck with her. Son. Naiman was someone's son. That just couldn't be right, no, it was surely impossible! If they were... Then... No, that's impossible! Don't even consider it, if they are, you were just mistaken, there's nothing else to it! Nothing else. It would be too embarrassing to speak of all this in front of everyone else, perhaps not Sylvia, but still. Cass needed to get Naiman away from everyone to speak with her. Would she even accept such a request?

"No use whinging about it, no time like the present, as they all say... Whoever they are. Oh, whatever." Cass put on her best smile and tried to calm her nerves. This was truly foolish, but...

"Naimanzuunnadintsetseg," the princess approached her with, hoping her pronunciation wasn't quite off. "I was hoping I could have a word with you, er... In private. Would that be fine? Just, wished to ask you a few things. Nothing too important... They're simply stuck in my mind and I wish to get them out." There! Natural! How smooth.

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg hadn't expected the princess to approach her, not after how well they'd gotten on last night, but given her tone and efforts in properly saying her name, perhaps there was an apology coming? The plainswoman would certainly trade her the answers to some of her questions for that.

"I'm not so busy as to deny you that," she returned. "Lead away. Once we're somewhere you're comfortable talking, I shall see if I can help you unburden your mind."

Well, she certainly seemed like a woman up close... Cassandra had her priorities rather backwards, so focused on this,  but if they had a moment, she wanted to get it cleared up. Nodding with a smile, she led Naiman off, just outside of earshot to the group... As long as neither of them started yelling. Cass took a moment to clear her throat and organize her thoughts before figuring out how to say this.

"Alright... So, er... You'd said to Uuliin, that you were... The son, of your tribe's chief. I'm... Well, you seem quite like a woman, so I'd rather not presume, but... You are, right?" Cass was asking this mostly out of selfishness, if she'd found a man attractive, feminine as they might have been, it would've been a problem. Why else would she have been through so much?

"My apologies, this isn't meant to mean anything, I'm just... Sating a curiosity. Nothing else, I promise."

You seem quite like a woman.

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg flinched visibly, like she'd been slapped in the face. The plainswoman found her right hand twitching without her even meaning to; not only that, she couldn't tell whether it wanted to pull back a bowstring or grab a knife.

"Are you quite done insulting me in this fashion, or do you plan to make it a daily affair," she hissed back, livid. "I didn't kill my husband so I could continue being treated like chattel."

The reaction she'd received was confusing, entirely. Insulting her? Why? Cass cocked an eyebrow and tilted her head, shaking it and waving her hands some for emphasis. "N-No, I'm not... I just wanted to sate a curiosity. I find you incredibly impressive, I... What are you talking about?"

Had she said something wrong? She ran over what she'd said and couldn't find anything... It seemed that she'd have to be rather transparent about this to fix any issues that might've cropped up. Killed her husband, did she? That's impressive for other reasons... "I'll make this blunt, then... I find you quite striking. You're powerful, you, you're resourceful, you live your own way, and aren't afraid to speak up when upset-- like right now, though I haven't the faintest why. And I... I have never been attracted to a man."

Cass felt her face growing red, shaking her head some more and slapping her cheeks some. Focus. "I just wanted to ask and see. That was all. I meant nothing else by it, I simply... Couldn't find myself becoming interested in a man. Had to know. I apologize if that's insulting, there was no other intent behind it. I don't find you less or more either way. Well, as a person, at least. If you are, then... I've probably ruined any shot by 'insulting' you, but I shall admire from afar."

The princess seemed hurt and bewildered by her reaction, which frankly was not what Naimanzuunnadintsetseg had expected. Truthfully, she hadn't quite known where this might be going, but a hostile, combative stance had seemed more likely than this contrite and embarrassed rejoinder. Did she really not know what her words had implied? The plainswoman couldn't help but raise an inquisitive eyebrow. Parts of Sandy's response were still mystifying to her, what did attraction and admiration have to do with anything?

"In the spirit of answering your bluntness in kind," Naimanzuunnadintsetseg sighed and walked back on her outrage a little, "I must admit I have likely been too hard on you. You are not of Magonsaete, do not know our ways. I may have expected too much of you to begin with, also born to a man of power, but it is likely we will never see eye to eye on this, or maybe on many things."

"In these lands, there is men's work, accorded high respect, and women's work, which while still important, given considerably less. While I may not have been born with a man's tool between my legs, with great effort I have earned my place--shown myself every bit the equal, nay the better, of my brothers. Since the day I returned from the Batukhan tribe bearing unexpected prize, I have been woman no longer. I implore you cease to treat me as such."

Shrugging a little, a bemused smile on her face, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg finished. "How you work that into your own history, circumstances, attractions, whatever... or if you decline entirely is ultimately your decision, and I suppose I will have to live with it however it goes. But firm insistence from our very beginning had seemed the best approach, given how my many mistakes with Sylvia seems to have ruined any chance for a difference there now. Likely I swung the pendulum too far the other way." It wasn't much of an apology, but it was something.

Alright, that was a better outcome. It seemed whatever confusion was brought forth had been swiftly dealt with. Cassandra sighed a moment, wondering on where to take this next. There were a few things said that bothered her, but would rebuking Naiman so swiftly after a peace work out? Not at all.

"If that is what you wish... Though I must admit, I cannot see the benefit in becoming a 'man' for power. That may be for a lack of knowledge of your country on my part, but... Well, I shall leave it there, and see for myself." Whatever this woman had gone through, it was certainly far different from Cass' own life. To choose the moniker of son, simply to avoid certain prejudice, didn't that defeat the purpose in the first place? With how strong you seem, I fail to see why you simply didn't become a powerful woman. If it worked for Ethel... I will have to see how things go for myself.

"I will do my best not to treat you as a woman, but as long as your body remains this way, I apologize in advance. I've not the want to pursue something like this so soon, but... If we remain in company for a time, I may not be able to hold myself back." Blunt worked here, to a point.

"That aside... Since you seem so knowledgeable, is there anything you would be able to tell me for this undertaking? It's more than lofty, and if you're the prime example of what happens when a woman wishes to be taken seriously as a leader, I fear for my chances." That might've been taken as an insult, but it was more pride on Cassandra's end. She wasnt about to put on a pair of pants and play at being a Prince instead.

Finally, it seemed she understood. No, understood was clearly the wrong word, but she was willing to look the other way at least. Naimanzuunnadintsetseg would settle for any small victory at this point. While part of her wanted to try to continue to explain, pressing her luck at this juncture and crumbling what accord they'd managed to reach was far from worth it. Maybe another time, if the princess remained so bothered, so 'unable to hold herself back' even, whatever that meant.

Nodding, her lips pressed in a thin smile, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg accepted. "Yes, let us leave it there for now." Then, the next thorny question, one that could not just be postponed. But it was so vague...

"What exactly have you ended up deciding this 'undertaking' to be in the end? There were many ideas floated, none necessarily the one that you have chosen," she slyly stalled. "While there is the obvious hope that some of your friend's friends will be of use, were you planning on simply fending off the advancing southern tribes for long enough their fragile union falls apart and they once again turn on each other as they are wont to do? Do you desire the defeat of the master magician? Or are you planning on, ahem," Naimanzuunnadintsetseg cleared her throat and deepened her voice to best mimic Aurelio's, letting the fact that she was the one saying his words serve as mockery all of itself. "'Turning this place into a real country'? What is it you are really after? So much for that quiet life in Magon, hmm?"

What indeed. The mockery of Aurelio made Cass giggle, some warmth to the conversation, finally. She donned a smile and put a hand to her chin to try and figure out what, exactly, she wished for. It quickly came to mind, it was still lofty, and there was no telling who would agree to work with her. "I wish to save Wyke... Rather. I wish to conquer Wyke." It may have been quite the odd way of putting it, considering her lineage.

"My country has done me no favors, in a similar way that your family did none for you... Until you took matters into your own, bloody hands. I haven't done that. Not yet. I have my wishes, my wants, my dreams, all of that beautiful nonsense, but I haven't put my mind to trying to realize it. For quite a while, I hadn't felt I was actually strong enough to do so. But now..."

She sighed, smiling wryly. "There's this burning desire to see Wyke crumble, rise on top of it, and build it anew. Shape it into a place that I can call my own country. Not some facade of a place, weakly held together by a sinister union of old men with foul plans... Smoke it by the root." Cass ended up chuckling at herself, if only for how foolishly grand it all sounded.

"To that end, I want to seize these men and use them for my own means. I do not know if I will be able to do so, but that is my goal. If that's not something you wish to be a part of, Naimanzuunadintsetseg," she said, with more conviction this time, "I will not hold it against you. It's fairly foolish, and the only lead we have towards making it a reality is a group of shady magic men that I've never met. But... I would appreciate someone so capable at my side, were we to go through with it... So to ask again, is there anything you can tell me? Further than that, can I trust your help, should this become more than a dream?"

Fascinating. Intriguing. The few regrets Naimanzuunnadintsetseg had begun having were starting to wick away. "Is that so," was all she said at first, a thoughtful expression on her face. Her reply would have to weigh the respect for the regal ambition with the doubt about its execution.

"It will difficult for your dreams, no matter how laudable, to topple the weight of tradition, but should you pull it off, it sounds like you have the makings of a fine king," she nodded at last and offered. Rough around the edges, for sure, but with enough good help, those sorts of things could be smoothed over so as to not get in the way. Was this the path to power Naimanzuunnadintsetseg was looking for? A whole country, built from the ground up on the ashes of the old ways. Or would it be a surer bet to try to just find a new tribe here on the plains, Astaroth's perhaps, and make herself a place in it. Safe, but small... Or a grand gamble?

"It will not be easy," she repeated, perhaps to Sandy's annoyance, but it couldn't be understated. "The lands and life of Wyke will not woo the people of the plains. While a nice enough place to raid, most would not want to take up residence. I do not know if there is anything you might offer, as yet, to sweeten the pot. So perhaps the dream lives in the background while we deal with matters closer at hand until a way opens before us... I will spend much time thinking on this."

"Queen," she corrected. She could put up with Naiman's delusions of being a man, but those delusions were not about to be thrust upon her. Cass would become her own queen Ethel. If she could do it, it was never impossible. Sweeten the deal, though? Cass gave Naiman one more look over and had a rather good idea, but now was not the time.

"I'll have to figure that out as I go. It's something I should be prepared for, but I don't have enough to prepare. Not yet. But, hopefully soon, I will have proper means to deal with this group of rampaging bandits, and take my country back, all the same." It all started with Alain and his friends. Cass had to get to reading that page she'd been given, didn't she?

Something to do while they moved. One last thing, though... "As I've made my opinions on you rather evident... I hope, what, do you think of me? Er... Not my annoying personality," of course, assuming Naiman still found her infuriating, "but... Well, me." She gestured to herself, folding her arms after. "Would you suppose I'm cute? Or something else of the sort?"

Naimanzuunnadintsetseg almost sighed. A queen was the source of a ruler's heirs, not a ruler. Maybe she should have anticipated this fight, and given the whole political structure of Wyke would change from the ground up, perhaps she should have suggested 'Emperor' instead? It was not worth continuing the fight for now, though. She nodded as they both agreed to spend some time brainstorming on their own.

Sandy's final words though brought her up a bit short. Confusion registering on her face, she aped back, "Cute?", for a moment as she tried to catch her bearings. Blinking a couple times rapidly, Naimanzuunnadintsetseg frowned and found her eyes roving across the princess's form without really knowing what she was looking for. "Well, you are not altogether soft, at least compared with what I might've expected from your station. You know how to dress, and how to carry yourself," she concluded with an affirming nod. Was that an appropriate response? The plainswoman was rather out of her element, unsure why she was being asked, or what she expected to hear.

"...My God, you really don't get what I've been driving at, do you?" It was almost adorable, if it wasn't so sad. Was the concept so foreign to her? Cass wasn't about to give a brave example, so she remained quiet on that. They were still compliments, it was a far throw away from how Naiman had been treating her before.

Smiling, Cass began to walk back towards the group, waving for Naiman to come with her. "Maybe you'll get it one day... Or maybe you won't, oh Son of Altan." Cass had made herself giggle again, sighing. "We still have a ways to go, it seems. Thank you for giving me your time."

Clearly that was not the answer the princess had expected, or maybe hoped for. Still, she had smiled and laughed, so it could not have been so wrong as to undo the progress they had made. Naimanzuunnadintsetseg narrowed her eyes slightly when she seemed to dig back with a light mocking, but there was nothing to be ashamed of by the appellation, regardless of the tone it was delivered in, so she saw no point in protest. With a sigh of her own, and a slightly crooked grin stealing across her lips, the huntress followed after her, muttering to herself, "A ways to go indeed." Foreigners were a strange bunch, weren't they?

Edited by Balcerzak

He returned Naiman's look with a nervous nod, already beginning his descent. Even he could admit that In the face of the natural order, mortal magic was a mere mockery of the elements. He'd died to a lightning strike before--suffice to say he wasn't interested in playing that bad end again.

"Point taken. We'll see how far we can get for now. It shouldn't be much longer," he muttered. Hopefully. He turned to Cass now, and shook his head in dismay. "Unfortunately no," he said, wiping away some of the rain from his eyes. He's likely too busy laughing it up right now.

"But I guess his lack of presence just further indicates that we're still on the right track," he added. "You seem fairly pleased with yourself this morning though. I think Mister Aurelio could learn a thing or two from his liege about complaining--or the lack thereof in this case," he said.