(COMPLETED) Normal playthrough plan: let's make bad units great again

Garlyle

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually from the rest of the axe users Geese would be the easiest to recruit. If Geese, Garret and Gonzales are equally bad, I'll pick Geese.

Lot of suggestion for Lugh, I'm still not decided on my mages yet.

10 hours ago, BlueCavalier said:

I don't know why you're excluding Oujay because he's really bad.

Of the potential unit candidates that you haven't chosen already Karel is probably the worst just because he joins too late to be of any real impact during your playthrough. Barring that Garret is pretty weak in Normal Mode. If you really want a challenge I'd recommend those two.

I guess a few characters are questionable in my exclude list. Oujay's training is ok, and he turns out good IMO, Sue has great dodge, and Lilina is a mage tank.

Is Karel worth it to add? Is he that bad in the chapters he join?

4 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

Is Karel worth it to add? Is he that bad in the chapters he join?

In a normal playthrough, he basically does the same things that any other sword user with an S rank does - double and one-round Manaketes. It's not that he would be bad at it, it's just that it really doesn't matter if you use him or Rutger/Fir/Deke/OJ, so from an "efficient" angle, his recruitment has basically zero impact, unlike for example Athos who is actually really good in the final chapter.

Looking at your team, he might even be useful for you, since you don't have that many sword users on your team and all of them (except Roy who doesn't need Durandal and Chad/Cath who can't promote) have another weapon type that they'll probably use more often, so they might not reach S swords till endgame.

3 minutes ago, ping said:

In a normal playthrough, he basically does the same things that any other sword user with an S rank does - double and one-round Manaketes. It's not that he would be bad at it, it's just that it really doesn't matter if you use him or Rutger/Fir/Deke/OJ, so from an "efficient" angle, his recruitment has basically zero impact, unlike for example Athos who is actually really good in the final chapter.

Looking at your team, he might even be useful for you, since you don't have that many sword users on your team and all of them (except Roy who doesn't need Durandal and Chad/Cath who can't promote) have another weapon type that they'll probably use more often, so they might not reach S swords till endgame.

You forgot Treck.

4 hours ago, Garlyle said:

I guess if there won't be any more addition, I'll just pick my choice of axe user and add Lalum as a last user. Last chance, guys

Geese is an okay unit with solid base stats and good enough growths. Gonzales has shit accuracy but really good speed, strength, and a promotion that increases his skill. Garret is...eh, I never really bothered to use him much, I guess he's not too significantly bad since he's promoted and all. And of course there's Bartre but iirc he isn't that bad of a promoted unit and has access to bows, so he should be good for some chapters at least.

So, basically, Geese and Bartre are good enough that you may not want to use them for this playthrough (maybe Bartre, I guess). Same with Gonzales unless you think his shit skill and accuracy is enough to use him. In fact, if you're going to go for Bartre's route instead of Echidna's, then you might as well use Gonzales (has a higher level in this route but same base stats like in the other route, so he doesn't improve too much in this route). Use Garret because I don't think he's a good prepromote compared to most of the other ones, although I could be wrong so you may need to ask someone else about him.

3 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Geese is an okay unit with solid base stats and good enough growths. Gonzales has shit accuracy but really good speed, strength, and a promotion that increases his skill. Garret is...eh, I never really bothered to use him much, I guess he's not too significantly bad since he's promoted and all. And of course there's Bartre but iirc he isn't that bad of a promoted unit and has access to bows, so he should be good for some chapters at least.

So, basically, Geese and Bartre are good enough that you may not want to use them for this playthrough (maybe Bartre, I guess). Same with Gonzales unless you think his shit skill and accuracy is enough to use him. In fact, if you're going to go for Bartre's route instead of Echidna's, then you might as well use Gonzales (has a higher level in this route but same base stats like in the other route, so he doesn't improve too much in this route). Use Garret because I don't think he's a good prepromote compared to most of the other ones, although I could be wrong so you may need to ask someone else about him.

I didn't really use any of them, I did tried to use Geese, but he got the bench very quickly. I did use Bartre on my second playthrough, and while I was expecting him to be very very bad, he actually surprised me, and I even levelled his support with Fir over the time. Plus I'd go on the other route if I can pick, but there is the point that Gonzales is actually worse on that direction, because of his higher level.

And there's Garret. He is not easy to recruit, especially if you want to save the village as well. We also need to bring Lilina (who is not on the list), and his only good stat is his strength as a pre-promote. Because of his growth rate, that Skill/Speed is not worth it. Hmm, this looks very risky, but maybe that's what this playthrough actually needs. Let's see what other think about this.

44 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

I didn't really use any of them, I did tried to use Geese, but he got the bench very quickly. I did use Bartre on my second playthrough, and while I was expecting him to be very very bad, he actually surprised me, and I even levelled his support with Fir over the time. Plus I'd go on the other route if I can pick, but there is the point that Gonzales is actually worse on that direction, because of his higher level.

And there's Garret. He is not easy to recruit, especially if you want to save the village as well. We also need to bring Lilina (who is not on the list), and his only good stat is his strength as a pre-promote. Because of his growth rate, that Skill/Speed is not worth it. Hmm, this looks very risky, but maybe that's what this playthrough actually needs. Let's see what other think about this.

Geese or Garret.

Despite Gonzales not being as good on normal, I'd still pick one of them over him for this. Garret being recruitable by Lilina should be ignored as a factor unless she's too easily killed. Both are useable in hard mode as well, so it's not they they will be totally awful in this playthrough.

1 hour ago, Garlyle said:

In that case, I suggest Geese, since Garret can still kind of handle himself, being a pre promote and all. But if you feel like it, go for Garret.

Guys, yesterday night I made a test run for this, and it's actually going much better as I first imagined. The first chapter I couldn't save the village, because I played it safely, Roy leveled up to 4, while Bors and Wolt struggled, plus I used a lot of Vulneraries. But after that, it's really not that bad. We've got an early healer, Bors can double the lancemens, and Wade is pretty much safe on the Forts. Because I used a limited amount of characters, they levelled up faster, and Bors, Wade and Roy did a pretty good job on the early stages. Wolt was able to catch up on Ch5, now I'm at Ch8 and only the new guys (Dorothy, Treck) needs to level up basicly.

But who knows, I mean I'm just about to get Wendy.

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517558237673.png

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517558241329.png

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517558246051.png

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517558248850.png

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517558251409.png

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517558256426.png

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517558259857.png

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517558263223.png

Edited by Garlyle

So sad to see Hugh on this list (my dp may or may not be biased). He's actually a good balance between Lugh and Lilina and is the most well rounded mage of the 3. The only problem is his availability and his price. Buying him cheaper can be a bit meh for that point in the game, but he can still become good. I don't think he'll be your MVP (Lalum is gonna dance her heart out), but I have a feeling he'll be one of your better ones.

Also, why is everyone shitting on Lugh and not Lilina? None of the mages in this game are spectacular by any means, but Lugh's availability can sure help him a lot.

3 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

So sad to see Hugh on this list (my dp may or may not be biased). He's actually a good balance between Lugh and Lilina and is the most well rounded mage of the 3. The only problem is his availability and his price. Buying him cheaper can be a bit meh for that point in the game, but he can still become good. I don't think he'll be your MVP (Lalum is gonna dance her heart out), but I have a feeling he'll be one of your better ones.

Also, why is everyone shitting on Lugh and not Lilina? None of the mages in this game are spectacular by any means, but Lugh's availability can sure help him a lot.

I know I didn't mention Lilina, but you're right in that none of the sages are all that great.

Hugh just has a way to be suboptimal, less availability and he's at his best in Hard mode, so I picked on him. Least this playthrough has a mage.

I still question Dorothy and Treck being in this list, but they're slow going to start off, I see why.

6 hours ago, Garlyle said:

Guys, yesterday night I made a test run for this, and it's actually going much better as I first imagined. The first chapter I couldn't save the village, because I played it safely, Roy leveled up to 4, while Bors and Wolt struggled, plus I used a lot of Vulneraries. But after that, it's really not that bad. We've got an early healer, Bors can double the lancemens, and Wade is pretty much safe on the Forts. Because I used a limited amount of characters, they levelled up faster, and Bors, Wade and Roy did a pretty good job on the early stages. Wolt was able to catch up on Ch5, now I'm at Ch8 and only the new guys (Dorothy, Treck) needs to level up basicly.

But who knows, I mean I'm just about to get Wendy.

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517558241329.png

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517558246051.png

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517558251409.png

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517558256426.png

If Dorothy doesn't use steel bows at this rate and do chip damage, I think she can do well; and Ward or Wade's stats are a bit questionable... Not the best tank.

And yeah, Bors has a higher spd growth than the other two. Wolt on the other hand needs tuning. A lot.

6 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

I firmly believe that Lilina is the best mage. Mag stat will max for sure, spells have pretty good aim, she has great support and high Res. Just keep her safe from strong physical attacks. I also found Lugh useful, until I replaced him with Lilina. Once she promotes, she can do big healings when she doesn't attack.

I'll see in this playthrough how Hugh turns out when I pay the lowest price. His late recruitment was my issue with him, I usually have a mage at the time who is better than him. (although I'm one of those guys who think Nino > Pent). Also Dorothy is doing better than Wolt, and Treck still needs a lot of training.

2 hours ago, Will O'Donnell said:

If Dorothy doesn't use steel bows at this rate and do chip damage, I think she can do well; and Ward or Wade's stats are a bit questionable... Not the best tank.

And yeah, Bors has a higher spd growth than the other two. Wolt on the other hand needs tuning. A lot.

I'll do a support triangle with Bors/Barth/Wendy, hopefully that helps levelling Wendy a lot.

Yeah, Ward is not really amazing in anything yet, don't know if it'll change. But he can do some damage.

8 hours ago, Garlyle said:

I'll do a support triangle with Bors/Barth/Wendy, hopefully that helps levelling Wendy a lot.

Yeah, Ward is not really amazing in anything yet, don't know if it'll change. But he can do some damage.

If that's the case about Ward/Wade, he's a bit of a glass cannon. Also; good luck on Gwendolyn/Wendy, I hope you could get good growths on her and possibly wield Maltet.

19 hours ago, Dayni said:

I know I didn't mention Lilina, but you're right in that none of the sages are all that great.

Hugh just has a way to be suboptimal, less availability and he's at his best in Hard mode, so I picked on him. Least this playthrough has a mage.

I still question Dorothy and Treck being in this list, but they're slow going to start off, I see why.

Yeah. That's what saddens me about Hugh. His availability is garbage and he's at his best in HM, and this is a Normal Mode run. It's a shame, since I enjoy his character a lot.

I kind of know why Dorothy and Treck are here they're both weak in the looks department well, a lot of people don't like Treck because he's basically an armor knight on a horse; he's more defensive than offensive. I think that's useful, but he's harder to use when you already have Alan and Lance and they may already have some supports at that time. Dorothy is pretty good... until Shin comes along, imo.

12 hours ago, Garlyle said:

I firmly believe that Lilina is the best mage. Mag stat will max for sure, spells have pretty good aim, she has great support and high Res. Just keep her safe from strong physical attacks. I also found Lugh useful, until I replaced him with Lilina. Once she promotes, she can do big healings when she doesn't attack.

I'll see in this playthrough how Hugh turns out when I pay the lowest price. His late recruitment was my issue with him, I usually have a mage at the time who is better than him. (although I'm one of those guys who think Nino > Pent). Also Dorothy is doing better than Wolt, and Treck still needs a lot of training.

My biggest gripe with Lilina is that her speed isn't up to par with the other 2 mages, so she NEEDS supports and stay close to those people the whole time to gain some avoid. However, Forblaze just feels so right in her hands.

13 hours ago, Garlyle said:

Just remember: If you really want to use her, let her kill most of the enemies in chapter 8x. That way she'll be at a good enough level to survive Axeland by herself.

Henning down, I repeat Henning down. This boss almost made me quit once, but I realized how good Lilina is against him. This time Roy did the job with Killing Edge and Wolt A support, it was a gamble though. On other news, I trained Wendy, buuuuut...

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517852028109.png

Spoiler

(I swear that Str is killing me)

Edited by Garlyle

On 2/2/2018 at 10:03 PM, Will O'Donnell said:

Wolt on the other hand needs tuning. A lot.

13 hours ago, Garlyle said:

Henning down, I repeat Henning down. This boss almost made me quit once, but I realized how good Lilina is against him. This time Roy did the job with Killing Edge and Wolt A support, it was a gamble though. On other news, I trained Wendy, buuuuut...

Hide contents

I take Wolt back, Gwendy needs more than him.

16 hours ago, Garlyle said:

Reveal hidden contents

Bleh, I expected Speed to not grow much but the abysmal strength is surprising. At the very at least, her def is good enough, so her chances of surviving are good.

Finally, after 11 chapters we have our first promotion for Mr. Bors. His Skl is not amusing me, but that Def is sexy. Also he has A support with Wendy and B support with Barf(see stats below, Wendy improved a bit). I am also getting excited about Ellen's future promotion, but I think I'll try to get more out of her first.
Ch11A was a complex one, but I did it on second try. I don't have much speedy units, but I had to reach Klein quickly(needed for Tate's recruitment). Also I had to position Lalum safely, because everything kills her with 1 shot. The horses looked like trouble, but I blocked their path with Wendy and Barth at the bottom.
I need to find the place to train Tate, she's too weak at start. (but at least we have 12 units from the 16, plus Chad)

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517995912877.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517997078562.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517997082233.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517997072825.png

Edited by Garlyle

26 minutes ago, Garlyle said:
Finally, after 11 chapters we have our first promotion for Mr. Bors. His Skl is not amusing me, but that Def is sexy. Also he has A support with Wendy and B support with Barf(see stats below, Wendy improved a bit). I am also getting excited about Ellen's future promotion, but I think I'll try to get more out of her first.
Ch11A was a complex one, but I did it on second try. I don't have much speedy units, but I had to reach Klein quickly(needed for Tate's recruitment). Also I had to position Lalum safely, because everything kills her with 1 shot. The horses looked like trouble, but I blocked their path with Wendy and Barth at the bottom.
I need to find the place to train Tate, she's too weak at start. (but at least we have 12 units from the 16, plus Chad)

0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517995912877.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517997078562.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517997082233.png0378 - Fire Emblem - Sealed Sword_1517997072825.png

Bors definitely seems to have good stats now, except for the skill, but he still has room to improve. You're Wendy's doing fine as well, her strength still sucks but her other stats are good enough. Barth is just Barth with high Strength and Defense. As for Ellen, she definitely has good stats as a healers, but as usual, her defense is abysmal.

Good luck in the next chapters. Tate should be able to do well, just make sure she's in reach of a healer until she's at a good level.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

2 hours ago, Garlyle said:

Wow gwendy is good in your run, and ellen, too. 

And ps. who even cared about skill in fe6? I don't, tbh.

I was about to post my newly promoted Dorothy to this topic, but Ch12x boss just hit my Geese with 40% hit 22% critical. I think I need to restart this chapter.