Nolan VS Boyd

The 2 Reavers  

62 members have voted

1. 1. The 2 Reavers

• Nolan
    • Boyd

personal experience means nothing

And no matter how many times I hear it, I will always disagree.

Personal Experience Means Something. Not everything, but something.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And no matter how many times I hear it, I will always disagree.

Personal Experience Means Something. Not everything, but something.

Personal Experience means nothing. It's a phrase thats been around with almost all serious FE debate forums for quite sometime. It's to show that just because something happened to you doesn't mean it should hold any weight in a real debate. Usually, only actual character averages count.

Usually only stat averages matter for ranking characters statistically. FE is governed completely by mathematics and probability. All stat growths can be determined exactly, and they're easily comparable between characters.

Average stats

The purpose of this site is to show how they turn out average more than any specific order. That's why they're called "averages". It's also unlikely to have every single stat hit the exact percent, chances are at least a few will land, and it all comes down to average. Thus, it's good to have any guarantees in order to prevent any RNG screw-overs through any gameplays. Even for beginners.

You cannot argue whos better and whos not in the game judging your personal experience.

Personal Experience means nothing. It's a phrase thats been around with almost all serious FE debate forums for quite sometime. It's to show that just because something happened to you doesn't mean it should hold any weight in a real debate. Usually, only actual character averages count.

Usually only stat averages matter for ranking characters statistically. FE is governed completely by mathematics and probability. All stat growths can be determined exactly, and they're easily comparable between characters.

Average stats

The purpose of this site is to show how they turn out average more than any specific order. That's why they're called "averages". It's also unlikely to have every single stat hit the exact percent, chances are at least a few will land, and it all comes down to average. Thus, it's good to have any guarantees in order to prevent any RNG screw-overs through any gameplays. Even for beginners.

You cannot argue whos better and whos not in the game judging your personal experience.

It all comes down to your own personal opinion. I think personal experiences do mean something. You (and I'm sure plenty others) don't.

Obviously, if you use a character once, and only once, you cannot determine whether or not they are good or bad. There hasn't been enough testing. That is where it really doesn't mean much.

However, if you use a character 20 times in 20 games and they turn out awesome every time, can you seriously say that it means absolutely nothing? Same if they suck 5 games in a row. And the way I see it, if personal experience means nothing is your standard, no unit is great and no unit sucks. It's only been yours and others personal experiences after all. Don't they mean nothing?

In the case of Nolan and Boyd, I've used them each twice. Nolan turned out average both times, capping only a few stats. Boyd turned out amazing the first, capping nearly every stat pretty early, and average the second. See what my personal experience tells me? Boyd has fared better than Nolan. My personal experience meant something. It was only 2 games, so it doesn't mean all that much, but it is something.

By the way, I know how long it's been around. I've been going to Fire Emblem forums since FE7 arrived in the states. I never agreed with it.

It all comes down to your own personal opinion. I think personal experiences do mean something. You (and I'm sure plenty others) don't.

Obviously, if you use a character once, and only once, you cannot determine whether or not they are good or bad. There hasn't been enough testing. That is where it really doesn't mean much.

However, if you use a character 20 times in 20 games and they turn out awesome every time, can you seriously say that it means absolutely nothing? Same if they suck 5 games in a row. And the way I see it, if personal experience means nothing is your standard, no unit is great and no unit sucks. It's only been yours and others personal experiences after all. Don't they mean nothing?

In the case of Nolan and Boyd, I've used them each twice. Nolan turned out average both times, capping only a few stats. Boyd turned out amazing the first, capping nearly every stat pretty early, and average the second. See what my personal experience tells me? Boyd has fared better than Nolan. My personal experience meant something. It was only 2 games, so it doesn't mean all that much, but it is something.

By the way, I know how long it's been around. I've been going to Fire Emblem forums since FE7 arrived in the states. I never agreed with it.

As I said, usually only stat averages matter for ranking characters statistically. Fire Emblem is governed completely by mathematics and probability. All stat growths can be determined exactly, and they're easily comparable between characters. For example, on my previous gameplay for FE10 I have a file with Boyd who happens to maxed ALL his stats at a level 20/20 third tier with the bonuses from FE9. And you don't see me going around telling everyone that Boyd can surpass Nolan by everything judging from my personal experience which means nothing to me at all. Thus, I'm not allowed to argue that Boyd is better than Nolan because even though it happened once through personal experience, it doesn't mean a thing to other people. Plus, its most likely to never happen again. The chances of certain characters ever surpassing eachother are a probability of 0% meaning it would most likely never to happen again. So its pretty pointless to debate about anything from your experience playthroughs since it probably only happened once in a lifetime. Thats how the RNG works. Applying rules from other FE games to characters is just plain pointless. The correct way to guage a character's ability is by looking at just the game they're from, not by seeing how they'd do in a fight against foes they'll never meet in-game. Personal Experience can't be factored in because that's just it. It's personal experience as in only what happened for you. You can argue about how personal experience means something all you want, but it doesn't mean anything to people.

The strategy I used for my maniac runs was based on personal experience of ones on lesser difficulties, I merely used the characters who seemed like they would be useful on a harder run that would also work with MY strategy. Stat-wise Nino is the best sage, based on experience Erk and Pent are better. Then again what do I know, I have only beaten every Fire Emblem game on all modes countless times.

Stats are fact, however that's about as fact as you will get, which unit is better then others is derived from play-style aka personal experience and as such is Opinion, you cannot make it "fact". There is no best unit of said class, popular favorite/best yes, but cold hard fact, no. Even if a unit beat another in EVERY thing there was to compete in... it does not mean it's better. There are countless cases where a weaker unit may work better, luring enemy attacks, not causing the "kill every enemy that comes getting hit each time I kill 1 until I die" thing, etc.

Play FE5, and come back and tell me if you still believe personal experience means nothing.

I can tell you right now, while numbers provide a solid base, it's the experience that builds you up. You use your experience to use the numbers to your advantage. If all you rely on is numbers... you will never beat things like FE5 or FE9 maniac etc.

Think of it this way:

Using personal experience from previous playthroughs is helpful so you can think of who to use.

Using personal experience in a debate to decide who's better person A or person B is bad because someone could have a really crappy unit max all stats and use it as a reason for them to be one of the best characters, or vice versa.

Thus, I'm not allowed to argue that Boyd is better than Nolan because even though it happened once through personal experience, it doesn't mean a thing to other people. Plus, its most likely to never happen again.

That's basically what I said. One time means nothing, obviously. It's only once. Multiple times should mean something. If the same thing happens multiple times in a row, you might expect it to happen again, and that is where personal experience means something.

Using personal experience in a debate to decide who's better person A or person B is bad because someone could have a really crappy unit max all stats and use it as a reason for them to be one of the best characters, or vice versa.

If everyone chose based on average stats, there would be no need for a poll. Some choose based on personality, but overall, people will tend to choose the one that has fared better for them, whether or not they mention/realize it.

Nah, I meant without Beastfoe. He can simply double all beast laguz and wipe them out in one battle.

Was that supposed to be one turn? The whole thing is one battle. And maybe you were thinking of Zihark? ;)

That's basically what I said. One time means nothing, obviously. It's only once. Multiple times should mean something. If the same thing happens multiple times in a row, you might expect it to happen again, and that is where personal experience means something.

Again, thats what I experience all the time. Which doesn't mean anything among other FE debaters which I bet most of them never really experienced it, so its pretty pointless to debate that. Thats why once again personal experience means nothing.

Fix'd. I'm not thinking of Zihark, of course.

well why the hell aren't you? Zihark kicks ass

Again, thats what I experience all the time. Which doesn't mean anything among other FE debaters which I bet most of them never really experienced it, so its pretty pointless to debate that. Thats why once again personal experience means nothing.

But you said it happened once. Now you're just contradicting yourself.

But you said it happened once. Now you're just contradicting yourself.

I'm not saying whether if it were to happen again it still doesn't mean anything amongst other debaters...<_< Happening it once, twice or so regardless, is just your personal experience.

I'm not saying whether if it were to happen again it still doesn't mean anything amongst other debaters...<_< Happening it once, twice or so regardless, is just your personal experience.

True enough. But if it happens 10 times out of 10 tries, even just for you, don't you think it just might be likely that it could happen for someone else? That's why I think it means something.

Let's try something else. Who are some of your favorite characters in all FE games and why do you like them?

True enough. But if it happens 10 times out of 10 tries, even just for you, don't you think it just might be likely that it could happen for someone else? That's why I think it means something.

Let's try something else. Who are some of your favorite characters in all FE games and why do you like them?

I only like characters by averages nothing more. You can't really compare averages through personal experience thats for sure. And the chances of ever happening are none because again it never happens to other people not just debaters but everyone else. And can we end this conversation? This is getting off-topic...<_<

I only like characters by averages nothing more. You can't really compare averages through personal experience thats for sure. And the chances of ever happening are none because again it never happens to other people not just debaters but everyone else. And can we end this conversation? This is getting off topic...<_<

I don't compare averages to personal experience. Hell, I never even look at averages, I think it's pointless.

And the chances are definitely not none. Look at it from serious standpoint and see for yourself.

But let me just get this straight. By your logic, no character is good or bad. Therefore, no one should say that any one character is better than any other. It is all just personal experience and it means nothing. And don't bring averages into this. The way I see it, those are what mean nothing.

I don't compare averages to personal experience. Hell, I never even look at averages, I think it's pointless.

And the chances are definitely not none. Look at it from serious standpoint and see for yourself.

But let me just get this straight. By your logic, no character is good or bad. Therefore, no one should say that any one character is better than any other. It is all just personal experience and it means nothing. And don't bring averages into this. The way I see it, those are what mean nothing.

They turn out average more than any other specific set. That's why it's called "averages". While it's unlike to have every single stat hit the exact average, chances are at least a few will most likely land, or it could even come close.

And to answer your question: All characters aren't perfect. I'm only counting averages on this one. Characters are good by how their statistical are by averages. And the reason for the averages is so once again insure to prevent people having their complaint of the RNG screwovers amongst other players who have hard time in games. For instance, if someone had a horrific character on their playthrough that didn't cap anything by 20/20 this person would likely to blame him or her it that he or she sucks judging by his personal experience. I can't illaborate any further all I can say is that it will give you an idea of which stats will improve, and how frequently. I am now ending this conversation.

i hardly, if ever, look at averages to choose my characters.

i just like to enjoy the gameplay and fall in love with the characters.

as such, i tend to choose characters whose personality i like, no matter if they have good stat growths or whatever else people use to say which is better than which.

i think it makes the game more enjoyable if you play with characters that you like than with characters that you chose just because they have good averages.

They turn out average more than any other specific set. That's why it's called "averages". While it's unlike to have every single stat hit the exact average, chances are at least a few will most likely land, or it could even come close.

And to answer your question: All characters aren't perfect. I'm only counting averages on this one. Characters are good by how their statistical are by averages. And the reason for the averages is so once again insure to prevent people having their complaint of the RNG screwovers amongst other players who have hard time in games. For instance, if someone had a horrific character on their playthrough that didn't cap anything by 20/20 this person would likely to blame him or her it that he or she sucks judging by his personal experience. I can't illaborate any further all I can say is that it will give you an idea of which stats will improve, and how frequently. I am now ending this conversation.

I'm really sorry for this, but it was hard to understand all of that because of...well...bad grammar. And I've already said I agree one instance means nothing. It's multiple instances that MEAN SOMETHING. Not always much, but SOMETHING.

[/conversation]

i hardly, if ever, look at averages to choose my characters.

i just like to enjoy the gameplay and fall in love with the characters.

as such, i tend to choose characters whose personality i like, no matter if they have good stat growths or whatever else people use to say which is better than which.

i think it makes the game more enjoyable if you play with characters that you like than with characters that you chose just because they have good averages.

I wish more people were like you, Bianchi. Sometimes I feel I need to be more like that.

Lets not get off topic now...I've been typing really fast that I've completely lost my thoughts =S

Tashi Nino must be your best sage by far then... And you must love using Vika every playthrough since she has great growths for a Laguz.

Of course, the average says it all. But then again, they come late. Vika is far great but her timing on Pt. 3 is quite late...

Tashi Nino must be your best sage by far then... And you must love using Vika every playthrough since she has great growths for a Laguz.

the problem with Vika is her availability