Nolan VS Boyd

The 2 Reavers  

62 members have voted

1. 1. The 2 Reavers

• Nolan
    • Boyd

Since you're SUCH an advocate of personal experience, I'll have you know that everytime I've used Ilyana, she sucked horribly. I've never had a good Ilyana. Does that mean the Ilyana is bad? No. But you seem to think that Nolan sucks based solely on your experiences, not taking into account that he has great def and HP, which the DB NEEDS.

I mentioned his HP, did I not? For his level, his defense is average at best, and his strength makes him lose attack speed with his Steel Axe, and that's bad.

And hey, I agree that Nolan is essential in hard mode, I just think it isn't much of a statement because he can get screwed over just as easily, or possible more easily, than others. More needed than others; not as needed as some.

By the way, do NOT get me started on personal experience.

Edited by Fox

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 strength at level 9 isn't bad at all. Besides, when he gets to the same level as Boyd, he's only one point off Boyd's strength. :/

If you're lucky, that is. 12 strength isn't bad in itself, but it is in a world where Steel Axe's weigh 15 and you only have 10 base speed. That means 7 base attack speed, equal with Micaiah, and lower than pretty much everyone elses base in part 1. Early game, yes, and he's likely to gain more speed, yes, but he'll likely be weighed down by that axe for a while, and you can't get an iron one for 3 more chapters. At that point, you don't need him anymore if you so choose not to use him.

High HP and average defense save his ass, so hopefully he isn't being doubled.

*coughtoobadhercapssuckcough*

You missed the entire point of the post.

what do you want them to do? kill people with a spear?

i think their caps are pretty good for what you're using them. unless you just plain don't like magic users, i really don't see what you're talking about.

i think their caps are pretty good for what you're using them. unless you just plain don't like magic users, i really don't see what you're talking about.

Agreed, Ilyanna caps are good for me anyway ;)

*coughsaintcapsuckmoreballscough*

*coughwhatthehelldosaintcapshavetodowithanythingcough*

If you're lucky, that is. 12 strength isn't bad in itself, but it is in a world where Steel Axe's weigh 15 and you only have 10 base speed. That means 7 base attack speed, equal with Micaiah, and lower than pretty much everyone elses base in part 1. Early game, yes, and he's likely to gain more speed, yes, but he'll likely be weighed down by that axe for a while, and you can't get an iron one for 3 more chapters. At that point, you don't need him anymore if you so choose not to use him.

High HP and average defense save his ass, so hopefully he isn't being doubled.

But that's the point. Nolan really isn't supposed to be finishing them off. He's supposed to let someone like Micaiah or Edward get some kills off of units he's damaged. :/

Her speed cap of 30 is the real problem. It's the only thing keeping her from being an amazing unit in my book. I don't know why she was given such a crap-tastic speed cap. Her other caps are fine.

But that's the point. Nolan really isn't supposed to be finishing them off. He's supposed to let someone like Micaiah or Edward get some kills off of units he's damaged. :/

Well, why didn't you say that in the first place? I don't like Nolan as much as Boyd because weakening is pretty much all he can do, but it's useful in the early chapters if he doesn't get killed doing it.

Edited by Fox

Her speed cap of 30 is the real problem. It's the only thing keeping her from being an amazing unit in my book. I don't know why she was given such a crap-tastic speed cap. Her other caps are fine.

Let's not forget her 45 HP cap and 34 Skill cap. With Skill being her highest growth, you'd expect it to be in the upper 30s, not middle.

true. but all third tier mages's speed are around the same, so meh.

you could give her adept if you really wanted to....

Well, why didn't you say that in the first place? I don't like Nolan as much as Boyd because weakening is pretty much all he can do, but it's useful in the early chapters if he doesn't get killed doing it.

<.< When he promotes, he gets enough strength to start doubling, and thus, killing. When he's NOT promoted, a.k.a. Part 1, he's used for mooch kills.

Let's not forget her 45 HP cap and 34 Skill cap. With Skill being her highest growth, you'd expect it to be in the upper 30s, not middle.

That HP is normal for magic users, and the skill isn't too bad, since she's probably hitting most enemies at that point anyway with ease. Having Wind and Fire will help hitting if needed, as will Rexbolt's 95 hit chance.

That HP is normal for magic users, and the skill isn't too bad, since she's probably hitting most enemies at that point anyway with ease. Having Wind and Fire will help hitting if needed, as will Rexbolt's 95 hit chance.

Pelleas and Soren cap HP at 50, which may not seem like a whole lot, but it's still there.

Since thunder magic was nerfed like crazy, and is based around criticals now, you'd expect a higher skill cap to really put it to good use.

true. but all third tier mages's speed are around the same, so meh.

you could give her adept if you really wanted to....

She's the lowest, though... it's only a problem come 4-E-4 when the spirits have ~ the same speed as her.

<.< When he promotes, he gets enough strength to start doubling, and thus, killing. When he's NOT promoted, a.k.a. Part 1, he's used for mooch kills.

If you're lucky, he'll have enough strength. I'm assuming you're going by averages here, but I've too often been too far off of those to pay attention to them, so I don't care.

If you're lucky, he'll have enough strength. I'm assuming you're going by averages here, but I've too often been too far off of those to pay attention to them, so I don't care.

Again, I've always had Nolan's that were RNG blessed like mad, so it always changes.

I know I'm not going to change your opinion no matter how hard I try. It's just a fact. Why're we even arguing?

Again, I've always had Nolan's that were RNG blessed like mad, so it always changes.

I know I'm not going to change your opinion no matter how hard I try. It's just a fact. Why're we even arguing?

I don't know. This stuff just happens, I guess. My Nolan's are constantly strength screwed, so it's our personal experience deciding our opinions here, and nothing can change that.

I don't know. This stuff just happens, I guess. My Nolan's are constantly strength screwed, so it's our personal experience deciding our opinions here, and nothing can change that.

Yeah, I guess. All of these arguments are stupid, anyway. Every unit can be good in this game...

(Except Fiona. *coughI'veneverhadagoodAstrid,Meg,orIlyanaeitherbutwhatevercough*)

Edited by ChaosNinji

Yeah, I guess. All of these arguments are stupid, anyway. Every unit can be good in this game...

(Except Lyre. *coughI'veneverhadagoodFiona,Astrid,Meg,orIlyanaeitherbutwhatevercough*)

fix'd, and Gareth. It's just a good thing you coughed...