Best Lorenz Archetype Character

Icelerate

Which of the following do you like the most?   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Lorenz archetype

• Lorenz
    • Zeke (Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia)
    • Sheena
    • Hannibal
    • Xavier
    • Doughlas
    • Vaida
    • Wallace (Lyn mode)
    • Duessel
    • Tauroneo (FE9)
    • Fiona
    • Wolf (FE12)
    • Ryouma (Revelations)
    • Xander (Revelations)
    • Haar (FE9)

There has been a Lorenz in almost every FE game. I've compiled a list of characters who might fulfill this archetype from FE Wiki and TV tropes and also added Wallace, Haar and Fiona because they also fit IMO. In summary, a Lorenz is an enemy commander from the opposing country who joins the good guys while initially fighting for the wrong side. They are loyal but their morality is greater than their loyalty which compels them to switch sides. 

Edited by Icelerate

Easily Tauroneo. He has the typical Lorentz traits but combines them with a grander backstory where he's familiar with many famous figures like Greil, the black knight and Ashnard, he's got the post interesting past as detailed by his support with Rolf and aside from Duessel he's the most important of the bunch. He's always there to do at least something in the cutscenes. 

5 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Easily Tauroneo. He has the typical Lorentz traits but combines them with a grander backstory where he's familiar with many famous figures like Greil, the black knight and Ashnard, he's got the post interesting past as detailed by his support with Rolf and aside from Duessel he's the most important of the bunch. He's always there to do at least something in the cutscenes. 

I also like his two boss quotes with Ashnard and General Bryce. The problem is that the Ashnard boss quote loses its badassery considering how Ashnard has literal plot armor. Really did not like how they had to make him unhurt-able by any beorc other than Ike. 

Ashnard vs Tauroneo

Ashnard: Is that you, Tauroneo? As I thought… You betrayed me after all.

Ashnard: …In my father’s time, there was a man who was one of the Four Steadfast Riders. That man grew old and useless, and retired from the front lines. How does his story end, you ask? Come, let us write it together.

Tauroneo: Oh, my king… In all of Daein’s history, perhaps no other ruler has used the talents at his command to the degree you have… But all the same, no other king has chosen a path so incredibly stupid.

Ashnard: Heh heh heh… Will history judge me to be just or evil? We will not know until all of this is finished.

Tauroneo: …Now that I’ve confronted you and traded words with you, I have come to a decision. Throughout Daein, I, Tauroneo, will be known as the king killer. Come! Let me earn my name!

Bryce vs Tauroneo

Bryce: Ah, Tauroneo… I see that you have found another path to follow. Perhaps you were inspired by my old friend Gawain.

Tauroneo: Tell me, Bryce. Beyond mountains of corpses, what do you see Ashnard bringing to the future of this place?

Bryce: …I see nothing, save for a land of absolute darkness and terror.

Tauroneo: Then why fight by his side?

Bryce: Some men can change, Tauroneo. Others cannot… I am of the latter type. There is no other reason.

Edited by Icelerate

13 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

Oh, I clearly haven't played enough Fire Emblem games. My apologies. Carry on.

I see.  Back in the day, we had to take a written exam before they'd let you on the forums.

Duessel is my pick. He's a strong mentor figure to the other Grado characters and Ephraim and has a strong moral backbone as we can see when he calls out Vigarde, even before he's recruited.

Duessel, he’s the only one who actually realizes there’s something wrong with Vigarde. And I like the fact that in a way, his morality and experience was reward. As in, he survived. I loved the fact that the oldest Grado General was the one who survived. In these type of stories usually the older one dies and the younger one lives.

16 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

As someone who thinks the only real archetypes are Jeigan, Cain, Abel, and Lena, I don't have any intent on voting.

So why did you post then?

7 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

So why did you post then?

No clue, really. Other than maybe being surprised that people still put stock in archetypes when most of them are, as far as I'm concerned, a thing of the past...

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Definitely Tauroneo for the reasons mentioned. FE9 as a whole did a fantastic job of taking all the old archetypes and putting enough of a twist on them to make them fresh while keeping them clear as what they were. Also has my absolute favorite Camus from a character POV in Bryce. Camus is my favorite, but a lot of that's to do with character design.

I voted for Xander but if I'd been thinking about it I wouldn't, because everything I like about Xander is on either Birthright or Conquest, which are the routes he doesn't fit the description given. Otherwise I guess... Duessel? I dunno. Not an archetype which does much for me on average. Tauroneo's a decent character but his reason for changing sides is terrible so like Xander I don't really want to vote for him here.

I'm also kinda with LMC that calling this archetype "Lorenz" is a big reach. These characters have relatively little similarity to each other and don't make me recall Lorenz any more than various other fictional characters who change sides.

I'm picking Zeke here, but if we're being strict I'd have to go with Lorenz himself.

I really like Hannibal, he was just a good person honestly. That's pretty much why I like him. The little dialogue he had made me like him so much. I love Haar just for how little he cares about anything and because he has some great quotes in PoR and RD. Tauroneo is pretty interesting too.