Switch and 3rd Party Accessories?

Azz

So I was in my local GameStop today and I saw them selling this controller.

At first I was surprised since I thought it was the Pro Controller at first glance and saw it was so cheap but then I saw it was not actually the Pro Controller but a different controller made by @Play.

I was gonna buy it since the Pro Controller is rather expensive for my budget but then I had second thoughts since it was not a Nintendo product and I feared it would do something to my Switch (Since i heard non-Nintendo docking stations damaged people's Switches).

Basically, what I'm asking is, is it safe for me to buy this or should I just save for the Pro Controller?

The safest bet would be to just save up for a Pro Controller. I don't know if a 3rd party controller would do anything but it's better to not take the risk.

Unless you're desperate for a controller to use, save up for a first party controller. If you want to try and make the most out of your money, you could try getting a Pro Controller from Japan or America if you can. They would probably be cheaper. I got a Japanese Marth Amiibo a while ago, and it was a lot cheaper than an American one. Same product, just with a different language on the box is all.

Typically, cheaper third-party brands are garbage for consoles like the Switch.  Even if it doesn't cause issues for your Switch, it might still have some latency or input issues that would be even worse than the ones from the faulty joy cons way back when the Switch initially released (which may or may not still remain).  It's basically a gamble.

Granted, it could technically be a gamble if you buy first-party as well, but any issues you encounter with a Pro Controller can be worked out with technical/customer support.  Can't say the same for a random piece of crap third-party controller.  The Pro Controller's probably more durable as well, so it'll keep for longer.

I don't know if it's available in EU Gamestop's, but there are other Wired Switch Controllers made by other 3rd parties. I own one of these (there's other skins besides Mario), made by PowerA. And they're actually officially licensed by Nintendo. It works wonderfully; I've had zero problems with it. If you can find one, I highly recommend getting it. I dunno what US$30 is in euros (pounds? Sorry, I forget), but it's still half the price of a regular Pro Controller.

I doubt that controller would result in any damage to your switch. All it will do is plug into your USB port. Most third party controllers I've used in the past were purely for when I have guests over. They can be uncomfortable and won't last as long as the real thing before the buttons get stuck, the battery stops charging, or the triggers stop responding. For personal use, I recommend saving up the cash for the real thing. If you're getting the pro controller because the joy cons don't feel great, then don't compromise with a controller that's probably sub par. I also notice that controller lacks vibration (HD Rumble) or gyro aiming/motion controls. It's just not up to par.