• Hardin, Dark Emperor
    • Sigurd, Holy Knight
    • Arvis, Emperor of Flame
    • Ephraim, Legendary Lord
    • Lyon, Shadow Prince
    • Ike, Vanguard Legend
    • Zelgius, Jet-Black General

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/08/2018 at 04:11 AM

2 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Well yeah, but that doesn't change the connotations of GUYS FIGHT EPIC BATTLES FOR THE FATE OF THE WORLD GIRLS HAVE SILLY INCONSEQUENTIAL SLAP FIGHTS

Clearly, this means we need to redo the sisters Voting Gauntlet now that Gravity+ and Pain+ are a thing.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Well yeah, but that doesn't change the connotations of GUYS FIGHT EPIC BATTLES FOR THE FATE OF THE WORLD GIRLS HAVE SILLY INCONSEQUENTIAL SLAP FIGHTS

Also, where is our big brothers gauntlet we definitely have more than enough big bros. Hold the Ike, though.

If we have a big brothers gaunlet it would feel more like an arm wrestling competition instead of actual EPIC BATTLE FOR THE FATE OF THE UNIVERSE.

Edited by Troykv

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Clearly, this means we need to redo the sisters Voting Gauntlet now that Gravity+ and Pain+ are a thing.

Oh man, if that gauntlet ran nowadays I think people would find it less of a pain (no pun intended), since healers are actually more viable as combatants now.

Also, I realize that I'm complaining a lot; I really don't mean to ruin anyone's enjoyment or be annoying. It's that the FE games in itself don't really have the best trend of this. If a female lord does exist, she's always shared the spotlight with the male lord. And it's always the male lord who ends up finishing off the main big bad or being hailed as the savior whereas the female lord just helped. Eirika and Ephraim were the closest to not following this, but even then Eirika is only main lord 50% of the time. So, it's more that I feel like FE's always had this underlying tone of "men are heroes, women are waifus", and the first all-male gauntlet being about fated battles against two men who were going to clash over something epic just feels like it reinforces that theme.

3 minutes ago, Troykv said:

If we have a big brothers gaunlet it would feel more like an arm wrestling competition instead of actual EPIC BATTLE OF THE FATE OF THE UNIVERSE.

Yeah, that's the point! The sillier the gauntlet themes, the funnier it is to see the contestants duke it out.

8 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Oh man, if that gauntlet ran nowadays I think people would find it less of a pain (no pun intended), since healers are actually more viable as combatants now.

Also, I realize that I'm complaining a lot; I really don't mean to ruin anyone's enjoyment or be annoying. It's that the FE games in itself don't really have the best trend of this. If a female lord does exist, she's always shared the spotlight with the male lord. And it's always the male lord who ends up finishing off the main big bad or being hailed as the savior whereas the female lord just helped. Eirika and Ephraim were the closest to not following this, but even then Eirika is only main lord 50% of the time. So, it's more that I feel like FE's always had this underlying tone of "men are heroes, women are waifus", and the first all-male gauntlet being about fated battles against two men who were going to clash over something epic just feels like it reinforces that theme.

Yeah, that's the point! The sillier the gauntlet themes, the funnier it is to see the contestants duke it out.

Hmm...

Celica was waifu'd in the end of the story.

Lyn's existence is pointless

Eirika is actually a main character (as you explained)

Micaiah is actually the most important of the main characters despite the narrative ended up favoring Ike (also nobody had noticed yet that "Ike"'s sword belongs to the Empress' family).

Azura it's a exposition box.

Edelgard's destiny it's a mystery... but if something bad happens, the crests are to blame.

Let me remember which are the brothers of the original sister's banner... Ike, Raven, Klein, Eldigan, Chrom, Ryoma, Xander, Michalis (they can use rotation GHB anyway).

Well... That would be fun (in fact, some people actually would offer nice stuff in their banners; like Chrom's Aether).

Edited by Troykv

3 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

I know this might be a shock, but I’m going with Team Ike again. Yes, I know legendary Ephraim is my current lead, but that’s only to abuse the horse buffs in GC and nothing more. Should Zelgius flip the script and win, then I’ll gladly join him since I have him now unlike back in his last VG.

So yeah, I’m open to friend requests as usual so feel free to add me if you want.

Name: Tybrosion; ID: 0085075948;  Current Lead: Legendary Ephraim, will probably change to someone else for the VG (I’m open to suggestions/ requests)

I sent you a request my lead is Shigure. I can switch to P!Shigure, Klein, S!Tana, B!Tharja, F!Grima, NY!Azura, or LA!Lyn if required.

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

It's that the FE games in itself don't really have the best trend of this. If a female lord does exist, she's always shared the spotlight with the male lord. And it's always the male lord who ends up finishing off the main big bad or being hailed as the savior whereas the female lord just helped. Eirika and Ephraim were the closest to not following this, but even then Eirika is only main lord 50% of the time. So, it's more that I feel like FE's always had this underlying tone of "men are heroes, women are waifus", and the first all-male gauntlet being about fated battles against two men who were going to clash over something epic just feels like it reinforces that theme.

1 hour ago, Troykv said:

Hmm...

I'm still hoping for Lianna eventually.

2 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

I agree, and really, we just have weird Japan culture to blame, I think. I hear that they prefer women stay at home in the kitchen while the men do the "hard work" and all. :/ It doesn't seem like the US where anyone can do pretty much anything regardless of gender (despite some career areas generally having more men or more women depending). So yeah "women are just waifus" seems accurate to Japan.

And I heard Mathilda's ending in Echoes has her give up fighting and do just that: go to the kitchen and care for the kids while Clive still goes out and fights.

I mean, I know I did kind of have Elincia do this in my FE writings... But not completely, I didn't make her give up fighting permanently after she and Ike got married and had a couple kids. She still fights sometimes, more often once hers and Ike's kids are old enough to be left home alone for a bit (I kind of had her leave her throne too and choose to support Crimea outside of royalty...). I don't think Mathilda had to give up fighting completely either.

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I agree, and really, we just have weird Japan culture to blame, I think. I hear that they prefer women stay at home in the kitchen while the men do the "hard work" and all. :/ It doesn't seem like the US where anyone can do pretty much anything regardless of gender (despite some career areas generally having more men or more women depending). So yeah "women are just waifus" seems accurate to Japan.

And I heard Mathilda's ending in Echoes has her give up fighting and do just that: go to the kitchen and care for the kids while Clive still goes out and fights.

I mean, I know I did kind of have Elincia do this in my FE writings... But not completely, I didn't make her give up fighting permanently after she and Ike got married and had a couple kids. She still fights sometimes, more often once hers and Ike's kids are old enough to be left home alone for a bit (I kind of had her leave her throne too and choose to support Crimea outside of royalty...). I don't think Mathilda had to give up fighting completely either.

It's something that isn't easily overcome. It's based on the very beginning of creatures, where there's always this case where the females have this alpha male as their dominant and are supposed to be the superior. And history has always had cases where mostly men are revered most, or there are more revered men than there are of women. This also ties into how religion is tied that also gives men more power as well. 

Not something that can be overturned that easily. But I would say we're making more progress if anything. 

Anyways, back on the topic, I'm for Marth. Our Hero-King has been wronged for too long! It is time for him to remind everyone why he is the King of Heroes. 

5 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

It's something that isn't easily overcome. It's based on the very beginning of creatures, where there's always this case where the females have this alpha male as their dominant and are supposed to be the superior. And history has always had cases where mostly men are revered most, or there are more revered men than there are of women. This also ties into how religion is tied that also gives men more power as well. 

Not something that can be overturned that easily. But I would say we're making more progress if anything. 

Anyways, back on the topic, I'm for Marth. Our Hero-King has been wronged for too long! It is time for him to remind everyone why he is the King of Heroes. 

US sure didn't have much problem with it though... All it took was gradually giving women the right to vote and stuff.

But yeah, back on topic.

My team priority is Ike > Ephraim > Marth.

Edited by Anacybele

56 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

US sure didn't have much problem with it though... All it took was gradually giving women the right to vote and stuff.

That's just looking at history (and the present day) with rose-tinted glasses.

Women still make less money on average than men do when working the same jobs, and "stay-at-home mom" is still a more socially acceptable profession than "stay-at-home dad". Men are still expected to be the bread-winners for a family in present-day Western society.

Most of the industrialized world developed from patriarchal cultures, and it's hard to shake off those roots.

31 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's just looking at history (and the present day) with rose-tinted glasses.

Women still make less money on average than men do when working the same jobs, and "stay-at-home mom" is still a more socially acceptable profession than "stay-at-home dad". Men are still expected to be the bread-winners for a family in present-day Western society.

Most of the industrialized world developed from patriarchal cultures, and it's hard to shake off those roots.

Firstly, I never said it was perfect here. There are issues like a man hitting a woman being seen as worse than the reverse for whatever reason. But it's certainly much better than in other parts of the world and will probably gradually get even better.

Second, I've never heard of either of those things being true. There are plenty of stay-at-home moms and dads all around and I've especially never heard of businesses paying women less for the same job. That would simply be unfair and unconstitutional too imo.

If there are people in this country that think stay-at-home mom is more acceptable than stay-at-home dad, they're probably the minority at this point.

Edited by Anacybele

18 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

But it's certainly much better than in other parts of the world and will probably gradually get even better.

Western Europe is way better at it than the United States.

Also, while it covers more dimensions than the ones we've specifically mentioned, according to the 2016  Gender Inequality Index, Japan (0.116, lower indicates less inequality) actually ranks higher than the United States (0.203) in gender equality.

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I've especially never heard of businesses paying women less for the same job. That would simply be unfair and unconstitutional too imo.

Here you go.

Quick summary:

In aggregate, women in the United States earn 18% to 22% less than men do, but that doesn't account for the different distribution of education, occupation, etc. When adjusted to account for those differences, women in the United States still earn 6% less than men.

Paying people differently for the same job is fairly standard. Over here in white-collar land where I work, things like tenure and performance can affect how much of a raise you receive each year for the same job position, thus resulting in different pay. In your typical white-collar setting, it's usually not a conscious decision to pay women less than men.

My two cents on the men women debate...  I'm actually okay with men being the ones who are really into fighting and all that.  Give us a few girls who are into fighting so we get females who are tough, but I'm okay with mostly men being violent.  Not something we need in the whole population!  As for the pay debate...  I think something that's hard to take into account is how many women pass up on promotions, work fewer hours, or otherwise chose to prioritize other things in their life (especially kids, like I'll do once I have them) than work causing (most of) the remaining pay difference.  I agree with @Ice Dragon that most of the difference is probably not due to conscious gender discrimination, and if it is primarily due to women making different choices in their lives, I'm not sure we should be forcing equal pay.  For example, since I'm a woman in STEM, I actually have a better chance at getting a job in my field since there is such a push to get more women in STEM.  Fair?  Who knows, but we might end up in some weird places if we accept the only good result to be equal everything.

So, to sum up...  I'm happy to see an all male voting gauntlet.  We do need more strong female leads in Fire Emblem (more emphasis on Micaiah please?), but the men can get some love for once. 

Anyway, I'm fighting for Ike!  If he loses, I'll join Zelgius, who is my second favorite here, so I'll have somebody I want to support in the first two rounds at least.  I'm Venmi (7328867494) in game, and I'll be running Soren+10 as my lead.  I also have Sothe+4, Oscar+10, Titania+9, or Micaiah+3 I can put as my lead for anyone who needs color coverage.  Feel free to add, team Ike!

Edited by Venmi

27 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Western Europe is way better at it than the United States.

Can you prove that? Also, Wikipedia isn't exactly the most reliable source.

27 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Paying people differently for the same job is fairly standard. Over here in white-collar land where I work, things like tenure and performance can affect how much of a raise you receive each year for the same job position, thus resulting in different pay. In your typical white-collar setting, it's usually not a conscious decision to pay women less than men.

Well yeah, paying one person more because they do a better job is one thing. I mean if a man and a woman both do an equally adequate job at their work in question, why should either one of them be paid less than the other? There is no fairness in that.

But whatever the case, I'm disappointed in anyone that would treat either gender as lesser just because of their gender.

Edited by Anacybele

Oh, a new VG, I wonder whos-   *sees Lyon*

I am ready and willing to die for my prince. We're totally going to get stomped by Ephraim round 1 lol

On a more serious note, it's nice to see an all male gauntlet so a guy can finally win, hopefully it's a bit of a more fun one. Hopefully Lyon can make it past round 1, otherwise I'll jump ship to Sigurd or Arvis, whichever survives, really.

ALSO, anyone on Team Lyon want to add me? I don't think I have any fellow Team Lyon members on Serenes on my friend list. My ID is 0453367742 and my in-game name is Anys!

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Can you prove that? Also, Wikipedia isn't exactly the most reliable source.

Take a look at the link to the 2016 GII table by the United Nations Development Program. The "2016" and the "GII" are two separate links.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well yeah, paying one person more because they do a better job is one thing. I mean if a man and a woman both do an equally adequate job at their work in question, why should either one of them be paid less than the other? There is no fairness in that.

But whatever the case, I'm disappointed in anyone that would treat either gender as lesser just because of their gender.

Pretty much every study I've seen cites women pushing management for raises or promotions less than men do as one of the several factors that affect this inequality. And pushing for raises or promotions more is not the same as doing your job better.

Society is a disappointment in general. That's why it's our duty to make it a better place.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Take a look at the link to the 2016 GII table by the United Nations Development Program. The "2016" and the "GII" are two separate links.

Pretty much every study I've seen cites women pushing management for raises or promotions less than men do as one of the several factors that affect this inequality. And pushing for raises or promotions more is not the same as doing your job better.

Society is a disappointment in general. That's why it's our duty to make it a better place.

Oh, my bad.

I suppose that's true, yes.

Yeah, I agree with that. We have to keep making this country, and even this world, a better place.

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Uh, considering that the U.S. has its own issues regarding what the culture in general thinks about women and women in stereotypically "male-oriented" jobs, I wouldn't be so quick to lambast Japan over this while praising the U.S.

Rather, it's a universal issue that is more prevalent in certain places than in others.

Anyway, getting back on topic ... I still don't know who to choose between Marth and Sigurd. Anyone want to convince me either way?

2 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Anyway, getting back on topic ... I still don't know who to choose between Marth and Sigurd. Anyone want to convince me either way?

Go Marth. He’s finally getting to participate in one of these after Naga knows how long. He deserves appreciation.

14 minutes ago, SageOfAnys said:

Oh, a new VG, I wonder whos-   *sees Lyon*

I am ready and willing to die for my prince. We're totally going to get stomped by Ephraim round 1 lol

On a more serious note, it's nice to see an all male gauntlet so a guy can finally win, hopefully it's a bit of a more fun one. Hopefully Lyon can make it past round 1, otherwise I'll jump ship to Sigurd or Arvis, whichever survives, really.

ALSO, anyone on Team Lyon want to add me? I don't think I have any fellow Team Lyon members on Serenes on my friend list. My ID is 0453367742 and my in-game name is Anys!

WE SHALL DIE TOGETHER FOR OUR DEMON KING.

Added. My user name is Aria's Boys and Lucius is my lead ATM. Will probably switch to my Close Counter Leon though. The last time someone I loved this much was in a gauntlet was when Merric got to be in the mage gauntlet. I'd love to see him destroy everyone on the right. XD 

If he doesn't make it, I'll probably jump ship to Marth....or anyone on the left really. It would be nice to Sigurd or Arvis win however...

11 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Uh, considering that the U.S. has its own issues regarding what the culture in general thinks about women and women in stereotypically "male-oriented" jobs, I wouldn't be so quick to lambast Japan over this while praising the U.S.

Rather, it's a universal issue that is more prevalent in certain places than in others.

If some folks in our country think that way, it's probably a minority. There are women in high positions of power in this country, and even plenty of women in the freaking military here who also even sometimes get deployed. Do any other country's militaries have women? Again, I'm not saying we're perfect, I'm aware that there are still some issues, I just think we're one of the better countries in the gender equality category.

But yes, we ought to let go of that topic.

Oh, I forgot Sigurd is in this. He's my third choice then, while Marth is fourth. So I recommend you go Sigurd too if it's between those two! He's cooler imo.

Edited by Anacybele

I have no idea what it is I missed, but heyo. Kinda feel like that one friend of the MC who's completely normal and unaware of what's really going on...

...I've been reading some manga lately, so I now have some anime/manga tropes in my head again.

Anyways, probably thinking either Marth or Ike in this one. Still thinking on it.