Random Idea: Simulating "Arena" battles against your own Defensive team

Have any of you guys thought about anything like it?

I think being able to see how the AI acts with your team, as well as being able to find the flaws within your team first-hand, would be an amazing thing to add to the game. Of course, it wouldn't have an impact on your Arena score or give you any resources, but would also cost nothing at all to do. It would be, at its heart, a practice area...but one that sadly hasn't been added.

You'd think that with the basis of the games being based on tactics and strategy, they would have added a place to hone your strategies. With how much effort they went into Robin's (both genders) and Virion's support conversations about them waging mock war like chess (almost like they were playing Fire Emblem) back in Awakening, you...see quite a lack of doing so with your own units. It's like Heroes is stressing that the only way to improve yourself is through crushing your enemies, but not through "sparring" with your allies...yet we see the opposite message in most if not all of the other Fire Emblem games.

So...I hope to see what you guys think about the idea. It might have already been brought up by others, but there you go ;)

I am all for it, not just to see how your team acts with the set you give them, but also to safely learn how the AI uses assist skills, movement, and enemy targeting priorities.

Sure the same can be done in 0 stamina Special maps, but even then who wouldn't want a chance to spar against your own units?

Hm... there's actually some special battle mode potential in there...

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

Hm... there's actually some special battle mode potential in there...

I am not sure. If it is a mirror match between the AI and the player, the player would have no trouble crushing the AI.

The only scenario I can think of where the player might have difficulty is if the player runs mixed phase units. If the player runs purely Player Phase or Enemy Phase units, the AI does not stand a chance since it will park its Player Phase units in player's range and will initiate combat with Enemy Phase units.

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

I am not sure. If it is a mirror match between the AI and the player, the player would have no trouble crushing the AI.

The only scenario I can think of where the player might have difficulty is if the player runs mixed phase units. If the player runs purely Player Phase or Enemy Phase units, the AI does not stand a chance since it will park its Player Phase units in player's range and will initiate combat with Enemy Phase units.

Actually, I was thinking more something along the lines of fighting your own units using other players units, like borrowing friend units in Rival Domains/Grand Conquests or a unit system like how Tempest Trials sets up random enemy units.

Of course it'd have to be a very heavily self-imposed challenge, so you don't just set up a battle against four level 1 3* Odins git moneh git paid... but come on, some of the most difficult challenges I can think of in games come from the player base more often than the devs.

(Now that I think about it, FE Fates actually lets you test your My Castle Defense team before finishing set up, so maybe the OP idea isn't so farfetched after all...)

Edited by Xenomata

12 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Actually, I was thinking more something along the lines of fighting your own units using other players units, like borrowing friend units in Rival Domains/Grand Conquests or a unit system like how Tempest Trials sets up random enemy units.

My friend list is got a few BH!Lyns and Reinhardts too, so it would essentially be a mirror match for me. Pretty much 99% of the game can be solved by throwing ranged ponies/fliers at it, so if you got some of those on your friends list, it would be a piece of cake.

14 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

so you don't just set up a battle against four level 1 3* Odins git moneh git paid

It is no different from Tap Battles or the super easy quests in my opinion. I like having easy rewards.

This would be nice for those of us who want to see why defense teams are working/not working and is much more tenable than having replays. Sadly though it probably wouldn't help as much for me since I would obviously want to see how it is doing against top level play not my whoops why did I do that play. Being able to directly challenge a friends team may be more helpful since we could then have a thread here dedicated to asking how is my defense team and work on our defense team issues. That option would be its own mode though, maybe a Sparing Arena where you can get accessories from. That would be a simple enough reward and all the old accessories could be on rotation for those who missed them.

But yeah more ways to see how your defense team acts would be nice!

6 hours ago, XRay said:

My friend list is got a few BH!Lyns and Reinhardts too, so it would essentially be a mirror match for me. Pretty much 99% of the game can be solved by throwing ranged ponies/fliers at it, so if you got some of those on your friends list, it would be a piece of cake.

I do to, but again self-imposed challenge, such as using a certain team against an Infernal GHB or only free units. Or heck, using only 1st gen units in Lunatic+ Awakening, or Bond Units in Luantic Fates.

Just cheese the rewards first, THEN have some fun fighting your own units. I'm certainly not going to suggest locking the best rewards behind fighting your own units with an Arena Score worth of 750+.

Meh, actually I shouldn't even be thinking about complicated stuff right now... whatever, another idea to throw onto the pile of "Stuff that sounds neat in concept, but will never happen and also other people don't like it as much as I do".

Still in favor of the OP idea tho.