Would you buy a Fire Emblem Maker?

Roland

So, I've had this idea for awhile now. So I'm pretty sure everyone here is familiar with Super Mario Maker, the Mario game that could let you create your own Mario levels. What if Fire Emblem got the same treatment? Letting you create your own Fire Emblem maps, using characters from past Fire Emblem games as units? 

Would be interested in buying a game like that?

Well lucky for you, that game already exists. It's called FE Builder, and it's not actually a game, it's a ROM editing software, but if FE Maker was ever made it would basically just be that with a few more features, and slightly more streamlined.

There's also SRPG Studio, which does require buying, but there's a demo that's free. Compared to the GBA engine, this one is more customizable and you can implement a great deal of plug-ins rather easily

Super Mario Maker works fine because it's simple and easy to use. FE is a far more complex game than Mario is, and wouldn't work as well. So no, I don't think a FE maker would be a good idea, and it you want one, then just take up ROM hacking.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I mean, SRPG Studio and FE Builder are kind of like that, but that's like saying all the platformer game makers and fan-made Mario engines are like Mario Maker.

I think it'd be an interesting idea to explore.  Though I'd expect a lot of BS railroady maps, empty maps, and maps full of obvious chokepoints you're supposed to exploit, all made by teens who don't know the second thing about game design and making it fun.

12 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I mean, SRPG Studio and FE Builder are kind of like that, but that's like saying all the platformer game makers and fan-made Mario engines are like Mario Maker.

What I was saying is that FE Maker wouldn't be as easy or simple to use as Mario Maker is. You'd have to balance the enemy stats relative to the player characters for one thing, something you don't need to do in Mario Maker, but you'd have to do for a theoretical FE Maker (and have to do when making a FE ROM hack).

SRPG Studio is probably the closest thing to a bona-fide user-friendly Fire Emblem Maker that you're going to get.

17 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I think it'd be an interesting idea to explore.  Though I'd expect a lot of BS railroady maps, empty maps, and maps full of obvious chokepoints you're supposed to exploit, all made by teens who don't know the second thing about game design and making it fun.

Yeah, quality control is a bit of an issue as user-friendliness increases.  SRPG Studio games unfortunately suffer from this the most, it seems, mainly because you also need to handle class and weapon balancing completely from scratch in addition to having good map design.

53 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Super Mario Maker works fine because it's simple and easy to use. FE is a far more complex game than Mario is, and wouldn't work as well. So no, I don't think a FE maker would be a good idea, and it you want one, then just take up ROM hacking.

Advance Wars did have a map editor which it's uses the same game engine from the Fire Emblem games, I think Intelligent Systems could use the same program for Fire Emblem Maker.

Also, for buying Fire Emblem Maker, I do might buy it since I do have a few Fire Emblem maps that I think about.

I kinda wondered if they'll use all the console game layout or use the handed game layout for Fire Emblem Maker since Super Mario Maker had the classic Super Mario Bros., 3, World, and New Super Mario Bros. U. If that's going to happen, I do like to see if they can create brand new portraits for every Fire Emblem protagonists that appears in Super Smash Bros. series will get the NES, SNES, and GBA portraits and sprites like Roy and Ike will get to see them in NES graphics.

Edited by King Marth 64

If you're comparing this to Mario Maker, I can see it working similar to the creation of Tactics Drills in FeH. Would I buy it? I don't know. If I had spare cash and no other priority games on my backlog of games to get, sure.

I'd probably be playing other peoples' levels more than my own though, haha.

Edited by Arcphoenix

I would buy it for the curiosity but I doubt I would ever actually make a complete game. I was really into RPG Maker as a teenager (had a handful of never competed projects haha) and I want to try out the Switch version when it comes out. So if something similar was released but with actual FE characters and sprites, I would love to try my hand at making up side stories. I would also love to play other people's games, if the FE fangame community is any indication there would be plenty of interesting stuff to choose from.

Edited by Book Bro

Nah.

I learned with RPG Maker that I prefer playing content to making it, and when it comes to created content, I like the whole package vs. bitesized bits.

Mario Maker's an exception, since that's perfect for bitesized content.

4 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Advance Wars did have a map editor which it's uses the same game engine from the Fire Emblem games, I think Intelligent Systems could use the same program for Fire Emblem Maker.

The issue with doing something like that is that FE has another layer of complexity that Advance Wars doesn't, namely unit specialty. When I make a tank in Advance Wars, I know the stats on that tank, they are the same for ever tank. When I have a Fighter in Fire Emblem, I don't know the stats of said fighter, they could be anything. I might have a general idea based on previous experience, but that isn't exactly something I can rely on every time (see Ronan from FE5). So there needs to be an inherent unit editor as well. That said, the Advance War map editor is amazing, so that would probably work well.

If something like this existed, I'd definitely buy it.

I always have been interested in making FE terrain and setting the bases, growths and equioment of the allies and enemies. 

Since I don't have the time and technical requirements for romhacking, a FE Maker sounds a good alternative for me.

Edited by Necrofantasia